October 2nd, 2008

McCain camp targets Biden's gaffes ahead of debate

CNN

Watch McCain's new Web ad targeting Biden's gaffes.

(CNN) - John McCain's campaign released a Web ad hours before the vice presidential debate that highlights embarrassing statements from Joe Biden and sarcastically asks what the Delaware senator might say Thursday night.

The McCain campaign has been touting Biden's debating skills in an effort to raise expectations of the Democratic VP candidate ahead of his only face-off with rival Sarah Palin — but takes the opposite approach in the new video.

"What might Joe Biden say at tonight's debate? Anything's possible," the announcer says before clips of past Biden gaffes are shown, including a 1987 town-hall where he told a voter, "I think I probably have a much higher IQ than you do."

Other now-famous Biden moments shown in the ad include his off-the-cuff statement two years ago that "you cannot go to a 7-Eleven or a Dunkin Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent…I'm not joking."

The ad also includes newly-minted gaffes from the campaign trail, including a September rally during which he accidentally told a man in a wheel chair to "stand up…let them see you," and a town-hall one month ago when he praised Hillary Clinton and said she "might have been a better pick than me."

"Ready to gaffe? Yes. Ready to lead? No," the ad's announcer says.

Last week, the RNC launched “The Joe Biden Gaffe Timeline,” a Web site that features “an interactive timeline, map, and videos to track Biden’s most noteworthy fumbles and missteps since becoming Barack Obama’s running mate.”

Watch: Biden-isms become an issue?

But most of the week has followed the standard convention of pre-debate spin: the campaigns have each downplayed their own candidate’s skills, and plugged their opponent’s. In a conference call with reporters Wednesday, Obama surrogate and Missouri Sen. Clair McCaskill said Biden "has a tendency to talk forever, and sometimes say stuff that's kind of stupid." The Democratic National Committee also circulated news reports praising Palin's performance in the 2006 Alaska gubernatorial debates.

Meanwhile, McCain-Palin spokesman Ben Porritt said Wednesday Biden is the "Cicero of the Senate, who has been an amazing debater for 30-plus years."

Filed under: Joe Biden • John McCain • Sarah Palin
  1. Linda from Prescott AZ

How unclever!
    Let's see, I guess the DNC could release a piece on McCain's mis-speaks, errors, whining and crying, disrespectful attitudes etc., but no one can afford to pay for that amount of airtime.

October 2, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  2. Jan

For all the Roman Catholics who want to promote a candidate based on his/her belief or non belief in Roe Vs. Wade you need to remember why our country was created. My church and yours needs to stay out of politics! Read the first amendment.....then read more about the letters Jefferson wrote having to do with it's intention.

October 2, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  3. BC

Oh my God – the McCain campaign mocks Biden's age when McCain is older, mocks Obama's experience when Palin has less, and now they bring up that Biden has said stupid things when... well you get the rest.

October 2, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  4. Kab

Dallas, TX.....
    You are dumb and with the minority. You will lose and fail in this election and in life.

Obama/Biden 08

October 2, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  5. Brandon

Why are some of you so afraid of Palin????? Is it her limited amount of experience? Is it her lack of international experience? Is it her lack of knowlege on the economy?

Hmmm..... I think you need to take a look at your "champion" Obama and see how he lines up to those questions.

Palin experience is > than Obamas.

October 2, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  6. TCE

A weak and obvious, but futile, attempt to influence the debate.

October 2, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  7. Kimy

Sarah does not Gaffe. She just mutters incoherent gibberish. Or stares at the interviewer like a dumbfounded moose caught in a snow machines headlights.

October 2, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  8. Joe Biden bring it!!

I like it that his "gaffes" are like jokes and he can back it up with his knowledge of the nation and world affairs. If he was inexperienced then I would see it as risky but I like Joe. McCain is grasping for air now that his campaign is drowning.

October 2, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  9. am

The fact that Joe can even speak after stuttering his whole childhood is a miracle. I would take his REAL blather over the Bush/Cheney/McCain rovian, secrecy hidden lie machine anytime.

October 2, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  10. Republican for Obama

JOHN MCCAIN GO HOME TO ONE OF YOUR 7 HOUSES AND SIT DOWN SOMEWHERE. IT'S TIME FOR A CHANGE
    OBAMA/BIDEN WILL BRING THAT CHANGE TO THIS COUNTRY.

MCCAIN YOU BLOW IT:

TINA FEY REALLY LET YOU DOWN.

October 2, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  11. tulsa

if the outcome of this race wasn't so important this would be funny.

Joe, just keep being yourself. You are honest and open. You show respect to people you address. You talk like one of the people who happens to have dedicated his llife to his family and these United States.

We are proud to have you as VP.

October 2, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  12. Sara - NJ

I don't know what I will do with myself after 11/4 when this comedy is over. I have to find something else to amuse me. Unless Mcdaddy and Pliar win then the show wil go on ...NO WAY..I'd rather be bored
    Obama/Biden08