October 2nd, 2008

McCain: Obama lead growing because 'life isn’t fair'

Sen. McCain said Thursday Barack Obama is leading in the polls because 'life isn't fair'.

(CNN) - John McCain said jokingly Thursday that Barack Obama’s poll numbers are rising as the economy seems to sink "because life isn’t fair.”

“He certainly did nothing for the first few days,” McCain told Fox News Thursday. "I suspended my campaign, took our ads down, came back to Washington, met with the House folks and got on the phone, and also had face-to-face meetings.”

New CNN/Time/Opinion Research Corporation polls of several key battleground states released Wednesday found Obama has made gains across the board – either taking statistically significant leads, or erasing McCain advantages – over the past few weeks. Since the financial crisis began in mid-September, Obama has taken and held a lead over McCain in the national CNN poll of polls.

Watch: Is the bailout a band-aid?

But the Republican nominee said the economic anxiety-fueled poll swing was likely a blip. “Well first of all, you know very well that these are temporary things," he said on MSNBC’s Morning Joe. "The focus was on the fiscal crisis we were facing. I understand that. I understand there are going to be ups and downs in campaigns. I'm happy where I am...

“I'm the underdog. I love being the underdog.... We're going to be up late on election night,” he said.

CNN Electoral Map Calculator: You call the race

Running mate Sarah Palin is also facing an unfair disadvantage as she heads into the debate tonight, McCain told Fox. “Frankly, I wish they had picked a moderator that isn’t writing a book favorable to Barack Obama. Let’s face it,” he said. “But I have to have to have confidence that Gwen Ifill will handle this as the professional journalist that she is… Life isn’t fair, as I mentioned earlier in the program.”

PBS journalist Gwen Ifill, the moderator of Thursday’s vice presidential debate, is writing a book about Barack Obama and a new generation of black leaders that is slated to be released in January 2009.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Ahem

Enough with the excuses and dismissal of the truth. This is your campaign and it appears you are losing. Blame your judgement for the slide in polls. Although I don't put faith in polls, numbers are the universal truth and yours are dropping

October 2, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  2. a

so can someone please call him out on his bs? He returned to washington the same time Sen Obama did, and unlike McCain, Obama actually participated in the meeting.

October 2, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  3. LAST WEEK MCCRYPT'S SUPERMAN SUIT SHOWED HIS MANBREASTS HIS DEPENDS PANTYLINE AND A LIMP CAPE!

YEEOOWWW!

Thankfully you saved us the drama antics this week!

YIKES, now I have that visual seared into my retina!!!

October 2, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  4. al

Life isn't fair, I should have 9 houses and 13 cars.

Experience is overrated. Especially when your experience is in a courpt administration/party.

October 2, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  5. Darla (Edmonton, Canada)

Oh, puh-leeez!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even God never promised any of us that life would be fair ...

McCain ... there are plenty of Republicans (who DIDN'T vote for you in the primaries) who are wondering if its FAIR that they've been saddled with you and Sniveling Sarah for this election. If you wanted to be FAIR to them ... you'd thrown in the towel right now ... instead of dragging this out till November 4.

October 2, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  6. Los

I remember 9 years ago I took a day off so I could go see John McCain on The Tonight Show. I woke up at the crack of dawn to get tickets and then I sat for hours in LA traffic just so I could hear what he had to say. Today I wouldn't even walk down to the corner to see him.

October 2, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  7. I Invented the McMuffin... and fire

Time to retire old man and take the bimbo with you...

October 2, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |