(CNN) - Sen. Barack Obama, who has made his virtual campaign as much of a priority as its real-world counterpart, is making a play for iPhone users.
Over the weekend, the campaign launched a volunteer-developed application that iPhoners can download. "Obama '08", which is free through the Apple.com iTunes store, features several options aimed at supporters and undecided voters.
- The "Call Friends" tab allows users to use their electronic phonebook to call contacts, with top priority given to contacts in local and battleground states. The application tells users no personal data or contacts will be uploaded or stored — though the number of calls made will be “uploaded anonymously."
- The "Get Involved" option gives iPhoners the phone numbers to Obama campaign
headquarters around the country, depending on where the user is located; they can also find out about “Local Events.” Both functions are based on the GPS feature of the phone.
- iPhone users can "Receive Updates" through e-mail and text message alerts.
- "News" features statements put out by the Obama campaign, separated by national and local categories; "Media" features links to YouTube videos put out by the campaign; Users are able to directly watch the video, as well as e-mail it out.
- An "Issue" feature highlights all of Obama's positions, from civil rights to Iraq.
Naturally, like any good campaign tool, the Obama iPhone application comes complete with a fundraising pitch.
At the bottom of the application menu, there's a green "Donate" button. Once clicked, a disclaimer appears: "You are about to dial the Obama for America donation hotline, exiting this application. Contributions are not tax deductible for federal income tax purposes."
And for users who may feel this campaign season will never end, a particularly re-assuring feature pops up right next to the donate button: An election countdown.
Obama's ingenuity and responsiveness in his campaign is just a foreshadowing of his ingenuity and responsiveness in how he will run his administration.
So explain why running a national presidential campaign isn't leadership again?
This "Noob" Obama Campaign has trounced all Democratic competition and is about to trounce the Republican campaign too.
Putting technology to optrimal use. Obama will transform America from the leading polluter to leading climate preserver through clean energy by technology.
This is a true 21st century moment!
That's ok...McCain is incorporating a new media devise ; crafted and designed pre-millenium. The IROCK Phone. A slab of stone with a chisel and a hammer. Difficult to transmit but extremely durable.
Sorry ...there is no spell checking capabilities as yet. : (
Yes we need a creative and wise president like president Barack Obama, a president who has unique ideas and a new approach of redefining everything. Obama is really wise, for sure, he is smart. I am sure McCain is about to copy him.
This man is running the most BRILLIANt, progressive, successful, forward thinking campaigns ever! If he runs this country like his campaign America will be great again!
Didn't john mccain invent the iphone??
It is a simple decision, the 21st century or the Dark Ages.
Fabulous! A leader for the 21st Century!
I still can not understand how 22% of our Nation approve of Bush/Cheney/McCain. UNLIKE the far-right folks on these blogs I will talk about issues and the Republican record:
1. During the years (1994-2007 January) that the Republicans controlled Congress, both House & Senate. DE-regulation was rampant. One bill stands out: "Gram-Leach-Billey Financial Services Modernization Act of 1999" the Gram on the bill is, Phil Gram, McCain's economic advisor.
2. During the Bush/Cheney tenure our National debt has GROWN to almost..........$11.5 TRILLION. Owed to China, the Saudis & Dubai.
3. During the Bush/Cheney/McCain years we attack a sovereign country based on ........LIES.
4. We are still spending........$10 BILLION A DAY IN IRAQ......BUT......THE SURGE WORKED!
5. Thanks to the war with Iraq, Bush/Cheney/McCain are leaving our Nation with a DEFICIT of..........$490.....BILLION.
6. THIS year we have LOST OVER ........600,000 JOBS!
Etc., etc., the failures go on and on. And the Republicans want us to give them another FOUR YEARS??????????????????????????
NO WAY........NO HOW..........WE CAN'T AFFORD THEIR FAILED POLICIES AND LIES ANY MORE!
Wow – I am impressed with our Next President!
Obama – Though I disagree with your policies of taxing rich – my vote goes for you. Hope you realize that separating people by "rich or poor" and treating them differently is not in the best interests of the "United" America.
Pls check FairTax.org when you have a chance and ensure fair taxes for all and forever. And give the boost to economic growth.
Impressive! This is the way to move forward. I wish more people would understand that innovation is the key to the future. There is a big difference between these two candidates. One clearly represents the past, while the other one shapes the path to a great future. Good job Obama!
HE AND HIS CAMPAIGN IS JUST GENIUS!!! Can't wait until he gets into the white house!! I am so impressed by his campaign.
I guess this is Obama's way of being too sophisticated :)
ALLAN USA October 2nd, 2008 1:59 pm ET
PRACTICE THESE WORDS: YES, SIR PRESIDENT OBAMA I WILL SIR
I keep telling you guys Obama is the smartest politician that ever lived. Proved it by beating the Clinton dynasty.
And the beauty of all this is that it involves us. He uses what we have and makes it work for the better of the campaign.
Just imagine how much more he will do for the country...
I didn't wanna trade in my RAZR for an IPhone, but reckon I will in order to keep in touch with my Future President and his Campaign.
Obama/Biden ROCKS!!!! Lets Rock the Vote!!
Allan = example of how America's Education has failed.
Barack Obama = example of how America's Education system can produce a genius, Harvard Law Magna cum laude.
However, we must qualify the challenge. Allan probably reflects "special needs".
talk about in line with latest technology!?.Am so proud of you Senator. You R.O.C.K !
I wish every country had progressive leader(s) like you.I cant vote, but i have donated to your campaign and amny more are on the way.
Obama/Biden ROCKS!!!! Now Lets Rock the Vote!!
As has been said before, political polls are based on telephone calls to landline phones and to "likely voters", a category which usually excludes college students. These omissions make me suspect that there could be a "November surprise" for McCain, Palin, and the Republicans – namely, a landslide for Obama.
OBAMA IS A LEADER....
NOT A FOLLOWER...
AND I CAN SAY THIS ABOUT HIM EVEN THOUGH I DISAGREE ON THE BAILOUT!
AGREE TO DISAGREE PEOPLE.
21st Century in all it's glory! Go team Obama.
Greg, I like that comment.
Obama's campaign is like no other campaign. They provide Saturday bus trips to volunteers to help canvas Pennsylvania. It is amazing his campaign.