October 3rd, 2008

House passes bailout

The House passes bailout.
The House passes bailout.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) – The House on Friday passed a far-reaching and historic plan to bail out the nation's financial system.

The vote for passage of the Senate-amended bill – 263 to 171 – was the result of strong lobbying on the part of the White House and other supporters of the bill all week, following the House defeat of a similar measure on Monday – a defeat that shocked the markets and congressional leaders on both sides of the aisle.

According to preliminary numbers, 172 Democrats voted in favor of the bill while 62 opposed it; and 91 Republicans voted for it and 108 voted against it.

Full story

Filed under: Congress
  1. Jesus C

Believe it or not i saw this thing coming. Thank daddy i took all my retirement money out 1 year ago and put in cd s here at my local 7th Heaven Savings and Loan.

October 3, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  2. Jeff Popko

I just learned that the bums put lipstick on that dog and married it. I call for a clean sweep this year: Throw out the bums who created this mess and those who voted for this "make the rich richer" social welfare program for financiers who should have paid the price for their own failed policies. Democrats or Republicans, it's simple: If YOU voted yes, you don't get my vote this year.

They didn't listen to us. They should be voted out of office. McCain or Obama? At this point, I would rather vote for Miss Piggy.

October 3, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  3. GiroGeezer, Calif.

Not good, friends and neighbors, not good.

October 3, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  4. ferdi

To those who lie and say: 'this was good for the economy". How can the buying up of bad credit, be the solution to bad credit? This is just another way of making sure the rich stay rich and the poor stay poor. Market economy when things are going right for the rich, socialism when things aren't that well for the rich... It goes right to show that the so-called "conservative" economic liberterianism ends up at the door of political liberalism and government control. This is not capitalism, nor socialism, this is just a big fraud.

October 3, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  5. Crush Rush

Thanks.We just paid political terrorists a first ransom payment.Lets vote out all the bums.

October 3, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  6. We want a leader

I guess I should be expecting free government health care next week. Followed by free education, free food, free housing, free gasoline, free......everything for free. Right? The federal government has taken another giant stride towards socialism. Thanks House Democrats and Republicans for voting for this legislation that promises to make all our lives so much better. And, thanks for the pork too.

October 3, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  7. Steve A. , New Braunfels , Texas

This is the most discusting administration ever, can Bush leave fast enough? I'm not as proud of america today as I was yesterday.

October 3, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  8. Rick

October 3, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  9. KenB, MI

A lot of congressmen and women with lipstick on their collars and the smell of pork on their clothing today.

October 3, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  10. JC

What a shame.

I hope every yea vote loses their election.

October 3, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  11. Mary - Independent

How does it feel to run a Dictatorship and not a Democracy, Pelosi and Bush? You are violating the Constituional rights of the American people because you refused to listen to us! This trash bailout bill is a disgrace to this Country and for the importance of Congress catering to Wallstreet, foreign banks and the rich?

October 3, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  12. wayne collum

The bailout was a BIG MISTAKE! – I made my opposition know to my representatives. I just wanted to voice my opposition – again! I am angry!

October 3, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  13. LIZ

This is a sad day for Americans. The Democrat majority Congress sold us out and yes some of the Republicans jumped on board. Pray for our country–morning, noon and night.

October 3, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  14. JG

John in Ohio.

I completely agree. I have tried my hand at voting for the third party. It was in an election that was so close, it had to be recounted in some states. I feel that my vote was lost in that election. So, unless I can find a large group of advocates for my candidate out there somewhere, I will place the safe bet this time around, simply because I think at this point, keeping Obama out is my #1 priority. However, if McCain were leading in the polls I would feel more confident in voting for Barr knowing that the primary party voters were doing their part to keep socialist policies out of our Govt.

October 3, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  15. LIZ

A sad day for the American public–sold out by a Democratic led Congress. Pray for our country...Morning, noon and night.

October 3, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  16. sick n tired

THIEVES PROTECTING THIEVES NOTHING MORE NOTHING LESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 3, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  17. Sweetie

I'm with Sarah.....

NEVER AGAIN!

It is too late....

My grandchildren will suffer for this which really has me MAD as HELL!

McCain/Palin-08

October 3, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  18. John in Ohio

"Welcome to the UNITED SOCILEST STATES OF AMERICA. Thanks to Bill Clinton, the likes of Barney Franks, Sen. Dodd. And approved by Sen. Obama."

Welcome to the UNITED SOCIALIST STATES OF AMERICA. Thanks to George W Bush, the likes of Roy Blunt, Paulson, Gramm, Sen. Mitch McConnell. And approved by Sen. McCain.

Hurts don't it? When greed and corruption kill capitalism, even the "conservatives" turn to socialism. I realize that as a braindead unthinking conservative this may be a traumatic time for you. But hey, if you're a socialist like me, this is fricking awesome.

October 3, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  19. Ed

Time to vote every single last one of the idiots who voted for this bill out of office. Dems and Repubs alike!

October 3, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  20. Republican for Obama

Looks like Bush got his way again. To bad. Wonder how long it will take before he wants another bail out.. Now I see California (Republican Gov.) is wanting us to bail THEM out. I wonder when it will all end...

October 3, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  21. Jake

Obama and McCain both approved the bill. Don't try and turn this one way or the other.

October 3, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  22. tonyP

ALL hail BIG BROTHER and the end of capitalism as we know it. where do I line up for my Government hand out??????

October 3, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  23. Roger Johnson

Now, this should be the trigger we need to kick the spenders of our money without our approval out of congress. Get the democrats out because they did it again. These people criticise wall street and the corrupts in it, yet they bow to them using OUR and our children's money. Don't vote for what they PROMISE. Vote based on what they DO.

October 3, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  24. John in Ohio

"Silent no More….

I totally agree. We should probably get the ball rolling soon. With Obama's lead in the polls, and his plans to all but completely disarm America, it won't be long until the sheeple star turning in their weapons and we are officially in a totalitarian state.

MOLON LABE!!"

Go right ahead and start the revolution. Heck, I hope the South secedes. This time we won't waste the bullets and lives trying to keep you willfully uneducated ignorant drains on society in our country. Have fun in Jesusland.

October 3, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  25. bk

Just think if Obama gets elected Pelosi, Reid, and Barney Franks will be running the country. Then see how fast she goes down. China will own us and there is no truning back. We have to stop spending NOW and get our country back. Obama wants to spend spend spend. Someone has to balance the budget and get us out of this mess.

October 3, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |