October 3rd, 2008

Clinton weighs in

Senator Hillary Clinton issued a statement praising Biden's performance.
Senator Hillary Clinton issued a statement praising Biden's performance.

(CNN) - Hillary Clinton issued a statement shortly after the debate praising Joe Biden's performance:

“Tonight's debate underscored the stark choice American families face in this election," she said. “I've known Senator Biden a long time – as Americans saw tonight, he is a strong, passionate and experienced leader. Like Barack Obama, Joe Biden understands both the economic stresses here at home and the strategic challenges in Iraq, Afghanistan, and around the world.

“We saw yet again that Senator McCain and Sarah Palin will offer only more of the same failed policies of the Bush Administration. America's hardworking Middle Class families deserve better.”

1. WBW OHIO

I for one do not want a joe six pack a heart beat from the Presidency.
    We have had one for 8 years and you see what that got us.
    NOT THIS TIME.

October 3, 2008 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  2. WI Cheesehead

The word is N-U-C-L-E-A-R not N-U-C-U-L-A-R and God forbid if I have to hear it for another 4 years. What’s with the wink to wish away incompetence? Bush also flashed thru his debates in 2000 for those of you who care to remember.

Here is how mediocrity is shoved down your throat word-for-word.
    Palin: I May Not "Answer The Questions The Way You Or The Moderator Want"...

Ifill: "As Vice President, there's nothing you've promised as a candidate that you would take off the table because of this financial issue?"

Palin: "There is not, and how long have I been at this? Like five weeks?"

October 3, 2008 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  3. Elizabeth

Seeing that I am not a lesbian, I do not care about Sarah Palin's good
    looks or "folksy" charm. We had "folksy"(dim witted charm) in George
    Bush and look what happen. Hillary is right. Joe Biden focused on the
    issues that matter to most Americans. McCain and Palin just doesn't
    get it.

Democrats 08.

October 3, 2008 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  4. CindyN--PA

One more thing. I'm so sick of these tv anchors weighing in on what a great job Palin did with her own image. She already showed the world what an idiot she is with her interviews. Who can forget that? So even if she didnt bumble, she didnt answer any questions with any depth. She just hit her talking points, on what they prepped her to say. "There you go again Joe"... What was that??
    And how can you act like the Bush Administration is a thing of the Past, when he is the SITTING PRESIDENT RIGHT NOW– PRESENT DAY!! TODAY!!!

October 3, 2008 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  5. Feature87

America don't be fooled by those Republicans...Palin didn't answer the questions, because she had only learned by rote.
    Biden won, because he controlled his temper...and he had facts.

October 3, 2008 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  6. Noracal

The fact is Biden won the debate. One must ask the question can you see Palin as president. To me she does not fit in that picture.

October 3, 2008 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  7. Stefan

Akin: You're a bit funny yourself!

She was speaking of the President of Iraq, Jalal Talibani.

And I am a staunch Democrat and hate to have to come to the defense of Sarah Palin, but that was not some silly gaffe from her (though she has made plenty of others!).

October 3, 2008 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  8. Karen

Biden was outstanding last night. He didn't putt Palin down too much but he stuck to the issues that WE the common ordinary people talk about around our kitchen tables. Palin offered obsolutely NOTHING in her speech, there wasn't a clear understanding of what the McCain/Palin ticket would do and how they are going to solve the crisis in America. Palin sound rehearsed and reading from a script. Palin is good at reading from a telepromter but to just know the issues she's not.

Joe Biden hit the ball out the park and laid out a clear plan and Obama/Biden has my vote.

October 3, 2008 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  9. AQ

she said nucular

October 3, 2008 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  10. Joe saw FDR on TV in 1929

Oh Bull. Biden was good, and does talk confident and knowledgeable, no doubt. BUT... he doesn't tell the truth, and that gets overshadowed by his "presidential" demeanor. OBUMA absolutely said he would meet rogue leaders without precondition. Maybe not explicity Iran, but that was implied in the question at the primary debate. Response to question about these meetings: "I would". The Exxon tax cuts are bull too..... they just happen to be a corporation, Joe. Obama's voting record, as well as his characterization of McCain were also lies.

October 3, 2008 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  11. joe

Hey Hill,

You were the one who said that Obama is not ready to be commander-in-chief and you were right! I guess you, like all politicians, it's just the flavor of the day.

And about government controlled healthcare, are you kidding.......look what you did to the economy.

You and Joe Biden and the other democrats act like you care so much about places like Scranton......give me a break, you all have been politicians for quite some time and have done nothing for them except exploit them for your political gains. And, you were the one who said it was unfortunate that Obama caricaturizes people from small towns as clinging to religion and guns. And yes, they become bitter when people like you exploit them for your own personal gain.

McCain/Palin '08 (we need leadership that walks the talk)

October 3, 2008 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  12. Lois

I think Sarah Palin did great! She is a true leader and has the Best
    interests of the American people at heart! McCain/Palin 08

October 3, 2008 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  13. Gregory in MN

It's always a bad sign when you think that by "not screwing up big time" means that's a win for your candidate.

Sarah Palin didn't do anything to erase the mistakes of the past few weeks. She can give a good stump speech. We already knew that. She's a mom. Ya sur yabetcha we knew that as well (see! anyone can be "folksy"). She can dodge questions. Again, we get it.

She showed she can be a good soilder for the GOP. But not ready to lead them to anyplace.

Biden was Biden. Palin had to turn up the folksy last night, but Biden just IS folksy people.

Oh yeah...and any candidate...I don't care if they are male or female...loses my vote when they WINK at me. How many times did she do that anyway? You are running for VP, not trying to pick America up in a bar!

October 3, 2008 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  14. tx

Sarah was outstanding despite CNN hits. Shows she's a quick study just like Obama. Of course, Obama had a head start being taught from day one when he entered the race. But this goes to show you
    that Obama isn't the only one that can be taught politics!

McCain/Palin!!!

October 3, 2008 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  15. jayeandvic

One more thing – I'm so glad Joe Biden addressed the "McCain Maverick" issue! I am so sick of the Maverick nonsense being spouted from the republicans, and glad that Biden spoke his mind about it.
    John McCain is NO Maverick, and neither is Palin.

October 3, 2008 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  16. Annette

This election is to iimportant to disregard the fact that we are in two wars, the economy is a wreck, jobless rate is increasing, our global standing abroad is a comedy hour, and poor leadership from the current administration. We can not afford to go backwards with the same policies, same idealogy and same philosophy that brought this economy and nation in this mess.

October 3, 2008 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  17. Annie

Akin, great point. I forgot about that ... talibanni ... nuculer whatever! She also called General McKiernan General McClellan. Oops, she memorized the wrong talking points!

October 3, 2008 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  18. who cares

Sarah Palin 2016!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    And if McCain doesn't win, I hope Sarah runs for a U.S. Senate job and goes to Washington anyway and gives the democrats a run for their money...oopss...should I say "my" money which I'm tired of the democrats blowing, ie. fannie and freddie, thanks Barney and Chris who are in the tank with Obamanation. Lastly, Sarah Palin as governor knew just about as much as Bill Clinton did when he ran as a former governor from where? Arkansas can you say hillbilly state? I guess it's okay for a democrat to "just" be a governor but not a republican. Can you say hypocrit?

October 3, 2008 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  19. Grand Nagus

Have you ever noticed that the majority of the people who blog here and support McSame/Palen can't even SPELL CORRECTLY!!??

October 3, 2008 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  20. Truth

To Akin:
    -whats so funny about TALIBANI? She was talking about Iraqi president Jalal Talibani, not about the group Taliban.
    -you're right on about nuclear. Like Bush, she also pronounce nuclear
    as "NEW KILLER" :-)
    Any objective people would say her presentation was good, but there was no substance on it. On atleast four occasion she didnt answer to the questions rather talked about her energy policy experience.
    On another note, if Alaska is so great, why dont all of us move to Alaska?

October 3, 2008 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  21. Mike F, Vancouver Canada

It sure seemed to me that Gwen Ifill respected the comments from the Republican side before the debate and backed down on how aggressively she could treat Ms. Palin. Jim Lehrer tried to get Obama and McCain to stick to answers and wasn't successful, but I thought Ms. Ifill could have been much more forceful in directing Palin to answer the questions. Most telling point was when Palin responded, I don't know, I've only been at this 5 weeks. Where is her experience now?

Woefully short of substance.

October 3, 2008 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  22. WELCOME TO THE OBAMA SHOW

OBAMA FANS,

IT REALLY DOESN'T MATTER WHAT BIDEN SAID OR SARAH SAID LAST NIGHT YOU WERE GOING TO TEAR DOWN SARAH.
    ACTUALLY SHE IS THE MOST HONEST PERSON OF THE 4 RUNNING FOR THIS ELECTION.
    SHE IS NOT FROM WASHINGTON (THANK GOD) AND WANTS TO FIX AMERICA.

I REALIZE THAT OBAMA SUPPORTERS DON'T REALLY CARE ABOUT THAT.

ALSO I TRUST HER MORE THAN ANY OF THE OTHER 3.

HOW CAN YOU TRUST OBAMA??

October 3, 2008 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  23. I.S

I don't know what the CNN political analyst were talking about last night about Palin doing well. My goodness the woman did not answer any of the questions, she didn't even know what answer to use for what question. Why can't these political analyst just be honest, its really is sickening. Sarah Palin is not smart, without a prepared speech she can't think nor answer questions PERIOD!!!

October 3, 2008 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  24. AK

they obviously both practiced but it was obvious that her remarks were totally planned and canned. She look like she was reading from a prompter at times. And whatts with the eye wink? Who is she winking at? Its easy, if either of the candidates died (G-D forbid), who would be the better Presidential candidate. No wait, who is the only one that coudl lead our Nation?

Obama/BIden 08 & 12

October 3, 2008 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  25. Susanne in Missouri

I am sick and disgusted of the cutesy, folksy, flippant female running for VP. A wink, and a cross- your- fingers attitude is not the criteria for being Vice-President. Why isn't anyone talking about her lack of knowledge regarding the duties and responsibilities of the Vice President.? She clearly did not know.

October 3, 2008 09:16 am at 9:16 am |