October 3rd, 2008

Clinton weighs in

Senator Hillary Clinton issued a statement praising Biden's performance.
Senator Hillary Clinton issued a statement praising Biden's performance.

(CNN) - Hillary Clinton issued a statement shortly after the debate praising Joe Biden's performance:

“Tonight's debate underscored the stark choice American families face in this election," she said. “I've known Senator Biden a long time – as Americans saw tonight, he is a strong, passionate and experienced leader. Like Barack Obama, Joe Biden understands both the economic stresses here at home and the strategic challenges in Iraq, Afghanistan, and around the world.

“We saw yet again that Senator McCain and Sarah Palin will offer only more of the same failed policies of the Bush Administration. America's hardworking Middle Class families deserve better.”

1. As the 'Paign Turns

I was proud of Joe last night – he did an excellent job of pointing out the failings of the Republicans.

October 3, 2008 08:43 am at 8:43 am |
  2. Jeanne

I don't know what debate Hillary was watching, because the Republican VP nominee Sara Palin had it all over Joe Biden & Obama.

October 3, 2008 08:43 am at 8:43 am |
  3. tony

That had to hurt to say-
    Again –Several gaffs–
    Just for the record–Obama did say he would meet unconditionally with Iran-
    And his Senior momeny–John McCain did not vote for that increase–
    People in the know are aware-
    Obama's ties to ACORN, Rev. Wright, Bill Ayers, Fr. Flager will become more important as we get to the end-
    If you want Socialism –I quess Obama is your man–

The Fundamentals are good -It's just the People running these failed institutions like Fannie Mae who has taken the tax payer for a ride–
    Franklin Raines Ran a Corrupt Fannie and /or Freedie into the ground while lining his pockets with 90Million-
    It's likely you won't let people read this but at least I feel better

October 3, 2008 08:43 am at 8:43 am |
  4. larry.........Vienna Austria

Love you Hillary.........Obama/Biden 08.......yes we can.

October 3, 2008 08:43 am at 8:43 am |
  5. Mike

What do you expect Hillary to say? They both did well.

October 3, 2008 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  6. Michael "C" Lorton, Virginia

The debate didn't make Sarah Palin more knowledgable, it only made her more likeable........I want someone who is 72 hearts beats from the Presidency to know what they are doing.......who gives a s*** if they like you........it now about who likes you......but rather what you are going to do when you get dealt the cards.

October 3, 2008 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  7. brian

i think she is so right i voted for her but now i want to vote for obama we need a change i am so sick of the rebugs . my 401k is gone down the toilet . OBAMA O8 LETS VOTE FOR HIM

October 3, 2008 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  8. John

Thanks Hilary for your declaration. I was just shocked to see how Sarah pailin was doging the question.
    It is pathetic.
    Republican can do better without pailin

October 3, 2008 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  9. Betty

Gov. Palin did way better than I expected. Sen. Biden did a little better than I expected, but my expectations for him were alot higher to begin with. Sen. Biden won the debate because he answered the questions as they were asked and not as he wanted to answer them. Gov. Palin did not respond to the question about deregulation. Also, her answers were more rehearsed than off the cuff. Sen. Biden answered the questions based on thorough knowledge rather than memorization from debate camp.

Obama/Biden 2008

October 3, 2008 08:45 am at 8:45 am |
  10. Tony

The Democrats' mindset on Iraq is "there were some mistakes so we should just cut and run". This is a dangerously ignorant policy. If today's Democrats were in power in the 60's we would've never reached the moon. Today's Democrats are fiercely partisan and are only interested in one-upping Republicans. We've already seen the terrible state that a Democratic congress has put us in, I can only image what will happen if they're in the White House again.

October 3, 2008 08:45 am at 8:45 am |
  11. Ken

Amen Senator Clinton

I think it is funny that people once called Obama an empty suit. They obviously had not met McCain/Palin

Obama 08

October 3, 2008 08:45 am at 8:45 am |
  12. welches, oregon

You know...you can still like Hillary and also like Obama. No matter what the circumstances, Obama is on the Dem. Ticket. If you like HIllary you should vote Obama. Do you think Hillary will get a Presidential Appointment in a Republican administration?

October 3, 2008 08:46 am at 8:46 am |
  13. mlavant

Where's the Clintons been all this time?(campaigning for John McCAIN,behind closed doors?

October 3, 2008 08:46 am at 8:46 am |
  14. SEXISM DEFINED: HILLARY CLINTON BLINKS WHILE SARAH SIMPLETON WINKS!

Well, well well. The Republican version of sexism appears to be when a male ask a question of Sarah Palin about her qualifications, and that is a sexist statement.

So, how do Republicans define those flirty little winks and smiles Sarah was dishing out during the debate? Dick Cheney did not wink at me. I KNOW Ferraro did not wink at me. I have not seen all of Hillary’s debates, but the ones I have seen, she has not winked at me.

So, I am only left to surmise that Sarah was using this “qualification” to encourage men to “rise to the occasion” so to speak, and vote for her!

I BETTER NEVER HEAR THE WORD ‘SEXISM” UTTERED BY A REPUBLICAN AGAIN IN REFERENCE TO SARHAH PALIN!

October 3, 2008 08:46 am at 8:46 am |
  15. cool onlooker

I will give her all my applauses for what she stated last night.

Unlike her husband, Hillary really has lots to offer to the Americans. Good for Democrats.

Obama/Biden '08 – dream ticket
    BTW, Joey did a GREAT job last night!

October 3, 2008 08:46 am at 8:46 am |
  16. Truthiswhatweneed

Any intelligent human being would agree with me, that Palin's performance last night was absolutely pathetic. She has no substance and I think she needs to go back to Alaska and focus on her special needs child and her family. She is not ready to be a heart beat away from the presidency.

October 3, 2008 08:46 am at 8:46 am |
  17. tatanka

Senator Clinton is right on. Let me say something about the debate last night. The republican handlers finally pounded enough bs into palin's head to make her not look as much like the idiot she really is. With her little accented quips that she thought was so cute just made her sound out of touch with the average american. I am from the south and I could not even understand what she was saying. She had the lies down pat. I don't know why they try and make people believe that stuff when the media will fact check everything and let the people who was lying and boy they are hitting Palin hard this morning. GO O AND JOE GO.

October 3, 2008 08:47 am at 8:47 am |
  18. Palin is Not Qualified

sarah is not Qualified to be one stroke away from the Presidency she did not answer Question last night all she did is go over her talking points and her notes! Biden is a Good and Genuine man it moved me when he talked about him having to raise his sons after his wife and daughter died in a car accident. Biden showed why he is capable of being a Good Vp Palin showed us How she will be Cheney # 2

October 3, 2008 08:47 am at 8:47 am |
  19. lou

Palin showed great reading skills. She possesses a keen ability to repeat words drilled into her head...Drill baby drill.
    Of course actually answering a question is just a "little' out of her reach. She can wink and pose and posture for the camera very well. Whereas Obama and Biden wasted their time studying constitutional law, Ms Palin demonstrates great journalism skills. i guess the more time you put into a 4 year degree (6... I believe) the more skill you develop. Plus by reading Everything they put in front of her,she shows why she is an 'expert" on energy. Who needs to know supreme court rulings? She can see Russia from her house.

October 3, 2008 08:47 am at 8:47 am |
  20. welches, oregon

Republicans will lose this election because they simply cannot distance themselves from the last 8 years of Bush's policies and practices.

Democrats win this year – by a landslide.

Obama/Biden (not George Bush's 3rd term)

October 3, 2008 08:47 am at 8:47 am |
  21. Amber

I love you Hillary. But don't support those crooked, nasty, Obamas. They disrespected you and Bill so much. Let him fall on his face.

We want you. No substitute! Come back to us in '12

October 3, 2008 08:47 am at 8:47 am |
  22. April Garlow

If the Democrats weren't scared of Palin, they wouldn't be calling in the big guns-the Clintons–to weigh in.After the way Obama treated Hillary, everytime she defends him, it diminishes her, that's really sad because I was a Hillary supporter.I learned two things about Obama's ticket in last nights debate.First Biden stated, quite forcefully, that he would be right by Obama's side whenever a decision is made.That made me think two things,–Biden doesn't have confidence that Obama is ready to lead,and secondly that Biden will be the real president with Obama as his puppet.The second thing I learned –listen up hollywood–Obama and Biden are against GAY marriage too! -Sarah Palin was great, and the American people know with her in the whitehouse they will –for the first time in a long time–have someone in Washington that represents them.

October 3, 2008 08:47 am at 8:47 am |
  23. Dana

CNN,

I was really amazed at some of your pundits and other pundits. Biden was a clear winner and Palin was not. Her expectations was set low so, of course she exceeded them. She made no gaffes and she stayed to her script, but she was invasive and no knowledge. I'm sorry but putting on a smile, saying joe six pack and repeating the same scrift do not qualify you for Vice President!!! Biden was a clear winner and the polls will clearly show that!! Watching the meter thing showed you she was not doing well on substance!!

October 3, 2008 08:48 am at 8:48 am |
  24. Elizabeth - TEXAS

Sarah Palin showed that she is not ready to be VP. She has a great future but not now. We have critical situations in the world. A wink and a smile is not the way to handle them. I have worked at city for 15 years. Our Mayor is excellent but not ready to lead the country.

Hillary Clinton knows what it takes to lead with knowledge and experience and that Palin is not ready.

Obama/Biden

October 3, 2008 08:48 am at 8:48 am |
  25. McCain=the draft

Palin didn't answer the questions!!
    She went into talking point mode and skirted the questions. I'm sure if pressed she couldn't have given a detailed response like Biden did.
    She showed herself as the gimmick she is!

October 3, 2008 08:49 am at 8:49 am |