October 3rd, 2008

Obama, McCain react to job loss report

Sens. McCain and Obama released statements on the job loss report Friday.
Sens. McCain and Obama released statements on the job loss report Friday.

(CNN) – Both John McCain and Barack Obama released statements Friday morning reacting to the lasts jobs report showing employers cut 159,000 jobs in September - the biggest decline in five years.
"Our nation's economy is on the wrong track," McCain said. "It is imperative that Congress act to address the financial crisis while protecting taxpayers and being good stewards of their dollars. But we must do more. "

“With three-quarters of a million jobs lost this year, and millions of families struggling to pay the bills and stay in their homes, this country can’t afford Senator McCain’s plan to give America four more years of the same policies that have devastated our middle-class and our economy for the last eight," Obama said in his statement.

Full statements from both candidates after the jump

John McCain statement:

"Today's report of another 159,000 lost jobs confirms what America's working men and women have understood for months: our nation's economy is on the wrong track. It is imperative that Congress act to address the financial crisis while protecting taxpayers and being good stewards of their dollars. But we must do more.

"America's middle class needs help from a government that is truly standing on their side and not in their way. I am committed to getting to the roots of this crisis - reforming Washington and cleaning up the mess created by the greed and crony capitalism of government-backed mortgage giants - Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. I will reverse out-of-control spending, end the wasteful and corrupting practice of earmarks, and get the government budget back to balance. I will reform health care to control costs and better serve American families, open markets around the globe for our products, cut taxes, and expand domestic production of energy to eliminate the ability of international oil markets to hold our economy hostage. I will create jobs and get the economy on the right track.

"Unlike Senator Obama, I do not believe we will create one single American job by increasing taxes, going on a massive spending binge, and closing off markets. Our nation cannot afford Senator Obama's higher taxes."

Barack Obama statement:

“Today, Americans woke up to the sad news that 159,000 jobs were lost last month alone, making September the ninth straight month of job loss. With three-quarters of a million jobs lost this year, and millions of families struggling to pay the bills and stay in their homes, this country can’t afford Senator McCain’s plan to give America four more years of the same policies that have devastated our middle-class and our economy for the last eight. Instead of Senator McCain’s plan to give tax breaks to CEOs and companies that ship jobs overseas, I will rebuild the middle-class and create millions of new jobs by investing in infrastructure and renewable energy that will reduce our dependence on oil from the Middle East. I also call on Congress to pass an immediate rescue plan for our middle-class that will provide tax relief, save one million jobs, and save our local communities from harmful budget cuts and painful tax increases,” said Senator Barack Obama.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. witch

I am unemployed and I just found out I can't get money for school.This is my life and I live it every day. I wonder how you as the candidates would live my life. Then you could see how most of us really live.

October 3, 2008 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  2. Elizabeth

This is quite clear...We simply can't have four more years of the same policies.

October 3, 2008 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  3. Tiff of lithia springs

You know, I talk to my husband 90 year old aunt Hattie here in Atlanta. Who in April threw herself a birthday party and was the last one to leave the dance floor. She has enough her marbles for this lifetime and the next. She tells me everytime a Republican have been in office it means hardtimes for everyday americans. Lets throw the bums out of office folks.

October 3, 2008 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  4. Maryann

It's sad that the Bush Administration and especially George W. has lowered the bar so much over the last eight years that some of the American public actually listens to what McCain has to say. Its evident after the reactions and comments following last night's debate that expectations were so low for Gov. Palin she had no where to go but up. However, she could not deliver. Neither can McCain. Americans need to take a long hard look at where this country is headed, and following McCain/Palin will certainly end us "nowhere".

Obama/Biden 08

October 3, 2008 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  5. V Obama

We don't need the Hillary supporters there is no doubt now that Obama is going to win. So yall go and vote for McCain!!!!

October 3, 2008 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  6. Theodore Roundy

I watched the debate last night and though both did very well.

My main problem with Senator Biden is he's been in Washington for over twenty-five years. Senator Biden has been part of the problem and not the solution!

Senator Biden is as guilty as all the rest of the Washington crowd for the trouble we're now facing. Just because he's running for Vice President isn't going to change his or those from his parties outlook. They're still going to spend that money which we don't have on thngs we,... as a nation don't need!

Governor Palin is not part of the Washington crowd and she owes no one. She's more in line with the common person who's been where we are now. Governor Palin has had to buget and save before being able to buy that which she and her family wanted, but really didn't need at the time. She knew the differance between "I Need and I Want." The "Needs" of the family came first before the "Wants."

I believe that is more in line with what we need at this time in Washington is someone who knows the differance between "I Need and I Want."

Washington has to "STOP" spending that which we don't have!

October 3, 2008 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  7. Joanne Buck

The economy is cylical and everyone w/any degree of intelligence is aware of that. However, we have had two hurricanes that put many people out of work, Gustaf alone put 32,000 out of work by itself.
    The corruption on Wallstreet has been a very serious issue as well as it has damaged the housing market (my field), and one must realized that the housing is cyclical in price as well. It peaks and then falls in price.
    The Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac corruption is the root of the crisis – and John McCain authored legislation to rein in,these corrupt entities, however he was blocked by the Democrats and some Republicans. HE WOULD OF SAVED US THIS CRISIS FOR THE MOST PART FOLKS !
    Obama has flipflopped too much for those of us who are independents to accept what he says.. We check the Facts.
    Joanne Buck
    Minneapolis Mn

October 3, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  8. chris

Obama is telling the truth! Neither Palin nor McCain have made any stark contrasts between Bush's current policies and their policies. I can't take anymore of it.

October 3, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  9. Sandi from Ada, Michigan

The biggest difference between Obama and McCain is:

Barack Obama has been talking about the economy for a year!
    John McCain just started talking about the economy 2 weeks ago.

October 3, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  10. JLLPO

I believe that if McCain is elected that all we will be doing is giving George Bush a third term. I believe that Obama will be the one to boost the economy, give more jobs, and raise minium wage. If McCain is elected then we will be goin through the same old thing we have been going through.

October 3, 2008 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  11. Vanessa - Ohio

Wake up, people! We need to keep the republicans out of office. We cannot afford 4 more years of this. I don't know about you, but my family is struggling. I am barely able to pay my mortgage and keep food on the table as is.

John McCain does not understand what I'm going through. We need Obama and Biden at a time like this. Please wake up and stop allowing yourself to be fooled.

October 3, 2008 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  12. Sarah

Biden was great... a true leader...He was crystal clear and spontaneous as compared to Sarah Palin was trying to remember items she trained to say...
    Even sometimes she was answering different questions...She always go back to energy and avoid answering the real question

Lets be fair...The choice is clear
    This will be a landslide win for Obama/ Biden.

October 3, 2008 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  13. Bob Indianapolis IN

Didn't play very well in MIchigan, did it, McSame?

October 3, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  14. Frankie S

Hey Obama! Listen up! McCain/Palin will NOT be four more years of the same, as you like to say every chance you get. Your rhetoric is old and stale. I see McCain/Palin as ushering in more and much better 'Change' for our country rather than a Democrat ticket who has voted along party lines throughout their careers! McCain/Biden are the ticket of 'Change', certainly not you!

October 3, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  15. Phoenix

Oh, my gosh. I cannot believe how people have the nerve to try to make Sarah Palin look credible, but yet Palin continues to talk about the liberal bias in the media. If the media were liberal, they would have crucified her a long time ago, and left her remains. But anyway, John McCain continues to talk about tax cuts despite the fact that our economy is in ruins. Tax cuts can only come once everything is one track. He doesn't get it, and we know Palin doesn't get it, heck she can't even spell it.

October 3, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  16. deeds

with obamma as president we will all lose our jobs and homes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We dont need radical socialism in this country! VOTE REPUBLICAN VOTE AMERICAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 3, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  17. carol

I wish John McCain would wake up......does he think he is talking about another party and the mess it's got us into.....it's HIS PARTY...REPUBLICAN PARTY!!!!!
    John McCain can waffle on all he likes about what needs to be done and how he can fix it.......where has he been these past 8 years and why is it so important to him now......oh, wait a minute....could it be that there is an election around the corner!!!!!
    I'm afraid he is just not credible anymore.....we are tired of the same old speech which would be nice if he knew what he was talking about and he actually believed it.
    No, time for the McPalin ticket to leave the building.

October 3, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  18. Proud that I didn't vote for BUSH, from Michigan

I hear a lot about Palin appealing to her base. Here’s some feedback from the DEMOCRATIC BASE.

Unlike many Republicans, I didn’t need to see this debate performance to know that my party’s candidate is qualified to the Vice President of the United States. I knew it already. Joe Biden is qualified to be V.P. and (God forbid) President.

My impression of Sarah Palin didn’t change either.

I still believe she is NOT qualified to be V.P.

Barack Obama and John McCain’s V.P. picks speak volumes.

October 3, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  19. Beverly, NYC

After 26 yrs in the congress when he has shipped jobs overseas, McCain expects Americans to suspend belief and take him at his word that he has the magic pill for all these programs while not raising taxes. With the US already trillions in debt, and taking on more with the bailout/rescue, 2 wars, loans from China and the middle east please, the only words he should add to this speech is "read my lips". We know how well it worked out with the last no new tax Republican. Smoke and mirrors won't work this time.

Open New markets=outsourcing

End the lies and drama on 11/4, vote Obama/Biden

October 3, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  20. Emilio

Keep telling them Obama. I find it funny that John McCain signed the bailout bill with all those added earmarks. If I recall he stated the following only a couple of weeks ago "I will veto any bill that comes across my desk with earmarks" John McCain can't keep up with all the lies he's telling.

October 3, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  21. elm

It is the Republican's policies of the last 8 years that caused this. John McCain is more of the same.

Run, run, hide, hide, distract here... Look Haley's Comet over there....

McCain and Palin are running from the American Public and they both are a farce.

Do you really want the disoriented McCain as President? Years in a POW camp is bound to leave a few screws loose. Remember the movie Manchurian Candidate. Has he published any medical or psychological records?

Know-nothing Palin isn't much better. Her last interview was a joke! Her debate was just a litany of memorized talking points that she regurgitated even if they didn’t answer the question.

America wake up.

October 3, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  22. Voter

Ifill was the worst moderator I've ever seen.

Clearly, she was intimidated by the Republican squealing over her new book.

The number of jobs lost this year alone equals the population of America's biggest cities. Bush is trying to stay out of sight, but the financial disaster is forcing him to stick his head out of the hole.

I hope we see a lot of him – an ugly reminder of the ugly situation he and his greed have wrought for the rest of us.

Who are the idiots who gave him a second term? Stand up and take your medicine!

October 3, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  23. SB in NoVa

Yesterday: "The fundamentals of our economy are strong."

Today: "Life isn't fair."

Sorry people w/ no jobs ... life isn't fair; sorry people who are about to loose their 1 and ONLY home ... life isn't fair; sorry to those who will loose their health care ... life isn't fair; sorry to those who can't afford or find gas; life isn't fair; sorry to parents who look into a child's hungry eyes ... life isn't fair. What a pathetic message to send to the "fundamentals" of the country. Country first? I don't believe it for one second .... "WINK"!

Change We NEED!
    Obama/Biden 08 and beyond!!!!!
    Turn VA Blue!!!

October 3, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  24. dennis from chicago

obama's idea OF SPEND BABY SPEND / IS JUST A SPIN of empty words and self evevation/

October 3, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  25. barbara

Hey Sarah, U betcha, Joe really Gotcha last night, yer darn right he did. Instead of Joe, you can call him Mr. Vice President very soon.

October 3, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |