October 3rd, 2008

Obama, McCain react to job loss report

Sens. McCain and Obama released statements on the job loss report Friday.
Sens. McCain and Obama released statements on the job loss report Friday.

(CNN) – Both John McCain and Barack Obama released statements Friday morning reacting to the lasts jobs report showing employers cut 159,000 jobs in September - the biggest decline in five years.
"Our nation's economy is on the wrong track," McCain said. "It is imperative that Congress act to address the financial crisis while protecting taxpayers and being good stewards of their dollars. But we must do more. "

“With three-quarters of a million jobs lost this year, and millions of families struggling to pay the bills and stay in their homes, this country can’t afford Senator McCain’s plan to give America four more years of the same policies that have devastated our middle-class and our economy for the last eight," Obama said in his statement.

Full statements from both candidates after the jump

John McCain statement:

"Today's report of another 159,000 lost jobs confirms what America's working men and women have understood for months: our nation's economy is on the wrong track. It is imperative that Congress act to address the financial crisis while protecting taxpayers and being good stewards of their dollars. But we must do more.

"America's middle class needs help from a government that is truly standing on their side and not in their way. I am committed to getting to the roots of this crisis - reforming Washington and cleaning up the mess created by the greed and crony capitalism of government-backed mortgage giants - Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. I will reverse out-of-control spending, end the wasteful and corrupting practice of earmarks, and get the government budget back to balance. I will reform health care to control costs and better serve American families, open markets around the globe for our products, cut taxes, and expand domestic production of energy to eliminate the ability of international oil markets to hold our economy hostage. I will create jobs and get the economy on the right track.

"Unlike Senator Obama, I do not believe we will create one single American job by increasing taxes, going on a massive spending binge, and closing off markets. Our nation cannot afford Senator Obama's higher taxes."

Barack Obama statement:

“Today, Americans woke up to the sad news that 159,000 jobs were lost last month alone, making September the ninth straight month of job loss. With three-quarters of a million jobs lost this year, and millions of families struggling to pay the bills and stay in their homes, this country can’t afford Senator McCain’s plan to give America four more years of the same policies that have devastated our middle-class and our economy for the last eight. Instead of Senator McCain’s plan to give tax breaks to CEOs and companies that ship jobs overseas, I will rebuild the middle-class and create millions of new jobs by investing in infrastructure and renewable energy that will reduce our dependence on oil from the Middle East. I also call on Congress to pass an immediate rescue plan for our middle-class that will provide tax relief, save one million jobs, and save our local communities from harmful budget cuts and painful tax increases,” said Senator Barack Obama.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Turnabout is fair play

Charlotte October 3rd, 2008 9:50 am ET

Obama and Biden are always looking back. I don't want a Monday morning quarterback as President. Hindsight is always 20/20…
    -------------------------------–

Oh brother, you actually bought that stupid line Failin Palin spouted last night trying to show she's capable of standing up strong? You're even more weakminded than I thought you were Charlotte. Get the pain and suffering about Hillary's loss out of your heart and embrace OBAMA. :-)

October 3, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  2. Random Dude

@nightingale

Sarah Palin spoke about nonsense like Hockey mom, pitbull, Maverick etc.
    Biden spoke emotionally for 12 seconds about a personal tragedy in his life , where he lost his spouse and his almost lost his children.
    Guy the guy a break. U are really sick in the mind if you are unable to realise

October 3, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  3. Lawrence

I thought that the debate was a contrast in two styles. Biden got an A- where as Palin got a B- (for not stumbling). She would have gotten a B+ if she showed how she would be a Maverick to get things done.

Biden stayed on track and was in command of the issues. Palin attacked and attacked over and over again to the point when there were lulls sounded whiny.

She never spoke on the issues except on a couple of occasions.

It's too late and they will eventually have her doing normal interviews once again and her stock will lapse once again.

I am still having problems with understanding how a Maverick is going to change the way congress works. Is he going to suspend those branches of government? How has McCain reached across to democrats with Lieberman being the only so called democrat he is reaching out too. Tell me how Mavericks are supposed to work in government to get things done. I am not seeing it in the McCain/Pail campaign.

Too little, way too late.

October 3, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  4. Jude

Biden wons hands down....PEOPLE ARE SAYING HOW GOOD PALIN DID, WELL IN ACTUALITY SHE WAS HORRIBLE. SHE SEEMED LIKE SHE WAS READING PROMPTER BECAUSE SHE MEMORIZED WHAT SHE WAS GOING TO SAY ALREADY. SHE DIDN'T ANSWER THE QUESTION...ITS NOT MUCH OF A DEBATE WHEN YOU DON'T ANSWER THE QUESTION AND YOU HAVE NO CLUE ON THE ISSUES. Do we really want Palin to be our VP to be 1 heartbeat away from the Presidency of the US. I'm sorry but if that was to happen, our country is down the dumps....Did anybody understand where Palin stands on any of the issues?

October 3, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  5. j williamson

If you're satisfied with Bush/Cheney than you'll certainly be happy with McCain/Palin.

October 3, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  6. Heather, Cleveland, OH

The clear difference between the reactions of increasing job losses by the two candidates is clear.

John McCain states that he will do this and do that. To mean those are empty promises.

Barack Obama tells us what he will do and how he will do it. That illustrates a clear plan to make needed changes.

Go back and reread the two reactions. You'll see what I mean.

October 3, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  7. EB in ATL

We have a failure to communicate !!! We have lost 159k jobs in a month, we have an incompetent VP. She has the audacity to speak on education last night utilizing double negatives, gonna, kinda and gosh darn it. This lollipop politician has created a road to nowhere that cost millions of dollars to make. Join Mccain-Palin for the absolutely road to nowhere. Repubs claim small businesses will suffer because 250k+ business owners will have larger tax liabilities, what happens if the small biz doesn't have clients or business? They will enhance the jobless rate and bankruptcies #s ...Mcpain will not do anything to boost this economy

October 3, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  8. Dana Aubert

Gov. Palin should have just given a speech for what she did last night. She did not answer many of the questions that "inquiring minds" wanted to know. Is this how she plans to run America? This "screw you- I'm gonna do what I want to do" attitude is not something we need more of. We really need a President/VP who will take time to listen to our needs/concerns, think about a resonable solution and respond appropriately. If I ask you for a cup of water, would you give me vinegar, just because that is what you want to give me. This is what Palin did last night. We asked her one thing and she did not attempt to answer/address the concern of the people she only gave us what she had already rehearsed.

October 3, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  9. Ryan in Michigan

It's amazing that McCain says NOTHING about how he wants to actually get jobs back into the USA.. he just talks about reforming government, and the usual BS from his commercials.

Hello? Maybe I can't see the full picture but how does health care reform create jobs?

October 3, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  10. AJ

I don't think that either one of these clowns are competent to do anything about it.

October 3, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  11. UNDECIDED VOTER DECIDED

I DONT WANT A HOCKEY MOM AS A VICEPRESIDENT! i WANT A PERSON THAT IS READY TO LEAD OUR NATION!! AND FOR WACHING PALIN AND BIDEN DEBATE I DECIDED THAT IS TIME FOR A CHANGE AND THAT IS OBAMA/BIDEN.

I'M A SOCCER MOM BUT SORRY I DON'T WANT A SOCCER REGULAR MOM LIKE ME IN THE PRESIDENCY I WANT A SMART, READY TO LEAD, STRONG WOMEN AND THAT IS NOT GOV SARAH PALIN!! PEOPLE IS OUR NATION WE ARE TALKING ABOUT HERE, IS ON A BEAUTY CONTEST OPEN YOUR EYES!!

October 3, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  12. GRANNY PEARL

I trust Obama so much more than McCain.

October 3, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  13. Charlene

I think Gov. Palin would have better at explaining how to FIELD DRESS A MOOSE than she did at answering the questions in the debate.

October 3, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  14. Tired of the Nonsense

To RJ, CA – in reference to your comments – "McCain, Biden, Palin are great Americans who make me feel proud of my country."

"Obama is nothing but a self-serving autobiographer and a lying, cheating, corrupt Chicago politician!"

What election are YOU following?!?!?

McCain has said the "economy is strong" and Palin has proven that she can't handle the pressure of a soft spoken journalist like Katie Couric without ending up on SNL – twice!!!!! What more do you need?!?

Let's be real, given all the facts and you STILL support McCain only shows that you are a closet racist and care more about your backwards way of thinking than what's best for this country....and that's clearly the leadersip/judgement of Obama and Biden.

DEAL WITH IT.

October 3, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  15. Truth Hurts

Todd is dumbier then Palin!! He is a follower. He just stand back and co-sign Palin BS!!

October 3, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  16. James From Chicago

I would love to see a debate between Hillary & Palin. Hillary
    would kick her butt. I definatley think Palin would be scared to
    death to debate Clinton.

October 3, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  17. Bridgette-PA

"ME" WROTE – Sarah Palin proved.......WHAT? I know you you and alot of other Repub's think she's cute but guess what, she would be walked all over by everyone. This isn't a beauty contest. You and other Repub's look at her and melt.....true Democrats look at her and cringe. We understand like OBAMA/BIDEN what's going on in America. If you have 8 houses and 13 cars, boats, lots of acre's of land and getaway homes, YOU ARE OUT OF TOUCH WITH US "NORMAL" POCKETBOOK ISSUE VOTERS!. Get a life and get over it. McSame doesn't get it and Sarah Palin doesn't know exactly what she's needs to get.

OBAMA/BIDEN -08!

October 3, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  18. Tired of the Nonsense

Worth repeating –

McCain – What was that you said about the fundamentals of our economy are strong? Oh thats right you spun it to say it was the workers the over 3/4 of a million people since January that are out on the street.

McPhony you are a bad joke.

OBAMA/BIDEN'08-'12

October 3, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  19. Eboni in Houston

I think that they both did well, but if you ask me who I thought won, Biden!!! Palin studied very very hard to make herself look good, but she did not connect with me. And what's with all the winking, very condescending!

October 3, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  20. faye, NV

Just yesterday a company laid off 88 employees and looking to layoff more. McCain have no idea what it is like to wonder about a job, food, healthcare, children etc. He is out of touch.

By the way what is Sara Palin's IQ?

October 3, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  21. Hongli.

IT IS OVER! Sarah Palin with NO SUBSTANCE and John McCain with BRAIN CRAMPS WILL NOT CHANGE AMERICA. Ladies and gentlemen TRUE CHANGE will come from the DEMOCRATIC PARTY. ALL RACES WILL BE HAPPY, ALL AMERICANS WILL BE FREED FROM BONDAGE AND AMERICA WILL TAKE HER RIGHTFUL PLACE IN THE WORLD AS THE NUMBER ONE LEADER IN EVERY DIMENTION.

October 3, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  22. Mark

So whats McCain's plan to create jobs? I haven't heard one yet. His plan is more of the same laissez-faire attidude that the markets will take care of everything. Well, the markets are dead and its time for bold leadership. Obama is that leadership.

October 3, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  23. Mike

Watching the vice presidental debate last night was fun, it was an eye opener, { Paline did in fact repair her reputation somewhat, although she was at space camp with Mccain for the last week, so i didnt buy it. She gave a shout out, which means that since she has opened her lipstick trap she has used a life line, called a friend, and now did a shout out. So she needs to be left at the curb. Those are the rules..lol Obama had my vote after his debate, and will in fact keep my vote.

October 3, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  24. nuclular weapons

a lot of republicans keep saying that palin did well last. for me, she was terrible. she could not say nuclear weapons. she did not answer any questions. i make up my mind right now. I will vote for obama

October 3, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  25. Obama LEADS

Times up McCain. Let go in Michigan... then Ohio, New Hampshire...

The only question left is by how much will you lose.

October 3, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |