October 4th, 2008

Obama blasts McCain's health care plan as 'radical'

Sen. Barack Obama speaks at a rally in Newport News, Virginia, Saturday.
Sen. Barack Obama speaks at a rally in Newport News, Virginia, Saturday.

(CNN) – Sen. Barack Obama, campaigning Saturday in the battleground state of Virginia, lashed out at his presidential rival's plan to tackle health care reform.

In a Saturday morning radio address, Sen. John McCain said if elected, his administration would give every family a $5,000 tax credit to buy their own health insurance or keep their current plan. "And we will open up the national health care market to expand choices and improve quality," he said.

Obama, speaking at a rally in Newport News, Virginia, said it's not that McCain "doesn't care" about what people are going through, "I just think he doesn't know," he said. "That's the only reason I can think of that he'd propose a health care plan that is so radical, so out of touch with what you're facing and so out of line with our basic values."

McCain campaign spokesman Tucker Bounds responded Saturday to Obama's comments.

"Our Democratic opponent had the audacity to call John McCain's health care plan 'radical.' The American people know radical when they hear it, and John McCain is not the candidate in this election they should be concerned about."

Full Story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Griff

Does anyone in CNN know what will HAPPEN IN EAST AFRICA? If this guy is Elected in the USA... Open invitation for Samalia to creat hovack in that part of the Worls You people are so Bling The so called War in Iraq is nothing to was in Building In the Indian Ocean Salia/Yemen..,.

October 4, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  2. Robin

McCain's health care plan is terrible, I get a $5,000 tax credit but I get taxed on the health care I currently have is INSANE.

October 4, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  3. Jack

Obama YOU are the one that is RADICAL – and a Fraud.

October 4, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  4. Amy

Does McCain have any idea how much health insurance costs these days? I'm guessing no!!

When my husband had to close his small business, he was paying over $1200 per employee per month for health insurance. Under McCain's plan, with a $5000 tax credit, what does he expect people to do the other 8 months out of the year? And let's not forget that he wants to tax people's current health benefits as income.......

Lame plan. Lame VP pick. Lame McCain.

October 4, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  5. Co Battleground

Health care is well over 12K a year. I haven't been able to afford it for over 2 now. My child – a recent college graduate – wasn't covered for 2 years. We are taking our chances and waiting for a plan, but McCains Plan doesn't work for our family. Doesn't come close to what we would need.

My small business I work for – can't already afford to provide HC for employees.

Obama – has a better plan of action.

October 4, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  6. World Citizen

OBAMA WILL MOVE US FORWARD.
    FORWARD EVER BACKWARD NEVER

VOTE OBAMA/BIDEN

October 4, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  7. Carmen

I think Obama plan is better because it covers preexisting illness. Most insurance company will not let me repeat will not insure anyone with a preexisiting illness. Now if Obama can get this everyone will be covered with out any precondition and that is the key. McCain/Palin don't have a clue or a plan to even be here in the USA.

October 4, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  8. Gary

seriously, is the phrase "out of touch" a automatic write-in for any of his speeches?

October 4, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  9. As the 'Paign Turns

Why should Congress get better health care than the average American? When you look at the majority of them – they are not exactly the "picture of healthy choices". And I wonder how many of them serve as valuable of a purpose as most of the rest of "Main Street"? They sure cost us more than "Main Street" – look at yesterday's vote...

A $5K credit is a joke. We need comprehensive reform in healthcare.

October 4, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  10. Hillary then MacCain

Can't say any better then No Hillary = No Obama.

October 4, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  11. ANGIE

Becareful Senator Obama THEY ARE ABOUT TO GET REAL DIRTY ON YOU YOU BETTER BE PERPARED AND FIGHT BACK the mccain camp is losing. losing bad there is no telling what they might do, just look at that bimbo vp canidate of theirs saying your bumbling with terriost THEY ARE GONNA USE THE FEAR CARD BUT I KNOW YOUR SMARTER THEN THAT

LITTLE MESSAGE FOR YOU MCCAIN YOU BETTER BE CAREFUL YOU GO START SLINGING MUD THE MUD COMES BACK BUT STICKS another words you go start lying about senator obama THE TRUTH WILL HAVE TO COME OUT ON YOU!

October 4, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  12. oooo

Why are you bitter and clinging on Hillary? She does not like you!

October 4, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  13. election watcher

As if Obama's 'voluntary universal' (quoting Hillary Clinton) plan has a prayer of working.

October 4, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  14. KEATING 5

While watchinging and listening to Ms. Winky Witch Wink can't have a serious moment,
    One has to wonder if Sarah Palin's 6 year-5 school educated brain has been programmed with thoughts ghost written by her elitist campaign staff who all look and sound freshly scrubbed pre-programmed talking-point auto re-play machines.

October 4, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  15. Joe Regis

McCain health care plan will defranchise a lot of Americans. The tax credit of $5,000 is a gimmick, because the plan would have already taken as source deduction from your employer about $12,000 from your salaries. And if you are out of work for whatever reason, you are out of luck also, meaning you will have no coverage unless you pay out of pocket.

Now nobody is going to fall for this.

Under the Obama/Biden plan, you will still have coverage even if you are out of work.

The repubs are doomed this year.

Obama/Biden 08/12.

October 4, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  16. Sarah

Whatever Obama says regarding John McCain's policies and thoughts on issues are all "out of tough" and whatever Obama says regarding His own policies and thoughts on issues are "in touch"

Really?

October 4, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  17. linell, Winter Park, FL

Dear No Hillary = No Obama;

It's not Obama's intelligence or ideas I question. If you can vote against Obama you were never supporting Hillary because of what she stood for.

October 4, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  18. afo

CNN POST THIS..

TexicoFrom Mexico... WOW Thanks for show it the video......McCain is sinfull and hiding of the evil himself! wow it sad for MCCAIN Champaign party! JOHN McCain is HATE AMERICA!

October 4, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  19. Mrs. Texas Teacher!

I'm tired of this conservative bias! I'm smart.... I'm a teacher for God's sake! And nothing I say is worth adding to the comments.

I'm taking my smart mouth and my upper respiratory infection to the couch, but don't you worry, CNN..... I shall return!!! I could be back when you least expect it! *LOL*

October 4, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  20. muffy

to NoHillary No Obama;

You are nothing but a jealous racist pig. Why don't you leave this country? We don' t need idiots like you.

October 4, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  21. Greg

We the people, DO NOT need healthcare!! These socialist programs will further destroy America.

"Radical"...really?? Obama, do you really want to use that word? When I hear the word "radical" I think of four things:

– William Ayers
    – Reverened Wright
    – Father Pfleger
    – The fact Obama stumped for the only self-declared socialist in the US Senate, Bernie Sanders

October 4, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  22. melinda

As a small business owner, I cannot afford Obama's health plan, however McCain's will give us $5,000/yr. (we currently pay $8,200).

Obama's plan would make us pay 50.4% of our earnings to taxes!!!

We really don't make that much, we ARE NOT "RICH", but he will hurt small businesses and jobs in small businesses! He is punishing people who want to start a small business and that will hurt the economy in general.

McCain's plan can help people in a position to offer jobs and isn't jobs what it's all about?

October 4, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  23. No Hillary = THANK GOD!

I would rather have a confident President, such as Obama, than a babling bafoon like McCain any day.

October 4, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  24. Kathy in Minnesota

Hey NO!!

If you have a Health care plan with an employer that has good benifits, be prepared to pay more in Personal Earned Income Taxes under a McCain Administration. Do you really think he will give you a $5,000 Tax Credit for Health Insurance because he likes you? HELL NO!!! This tax credit is going to cost you big time!!!

Taxing Health Care benifits as Income is like being robbed at gunpoint of all your money, then the robber throws you back a few bucks for not killing you. That's McCain's Health Care plan in a nutshell.

October 4, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  25. Kim, Dallas, TX

I have found something interesting when it comes to politics and pyschology. I really think people have blinders on when they are so entrenched in a particular political party. They aren't open to learning about what the candidates truly stand for. It's frightening to think that people are more concerned about party lines than what's best for our country. We cannot afford four more years of the same. We have gone down the tubes in many respects, healthcare, education, economy, worldview. It's amazing how far we have gone.

October 4, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |