October 4th, 2008

Obama blasts McCain's health care plan as 'radical'

Sen. Barack Obama speaks at a rally in Newport News, Virginia, Saturday.
Sen. Barack Obama speaks at a rally in Newport News, Virginia, Saturday.

(CNN) – Sen. Barack Obama, campaigning Saturday in the battleground state of Virginia, lashed out at his presidential rival's plan to tackle health care reform.

In a Saturday morning radio address, Sen. John McCain said if elected, his administration would give every family a $5,000 tax credit to buy their own health insurance or keep their current plan. "And we will open up the national health care market to expand choices and improve quality," he said.

Obama, speaking at a rally in Newport News, Virginia, said it's not that McCain "doesn't care" about what people are going through, "I just think he doesn't know," he said. "That's the only reason I can think of that he'd propose a health care plan that is so radical, so out of touch with what you're facing and so out of line with our basic values."

McCain campaign spokesman Tucker Bounds responded Saturday to Obama's comments.

"Our Democratic opponent had the audacity to call John McCain's health care plan 'radical.' The American people know radical when they hear it, and John McCain is not the candidate in this election they should be concerned about."

Full Story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Griff

I keep asking this Guy CNN... "Nataka Nini, Obama". Do you know CNN? A home? Then why Lie????

October 4, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  2. Ron Canada.

This for Tucker Bounds. Take a good look at Sen. Obama. He
    looks presidential. He looks like someone you can trust. That's
    why he will win. Bet your house on it before it depreciates
    anymore.

October 4, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  3. cmc

Is this the best that Tucker Bounds can say. They must not be paying him enuff, I think a high school senior or junior could do better than this lame statement. Love it how Campbell Brown took him on, his eyes were really bulging............LOVED IT

October 4, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  4. tatanka

McCain is out of touch. I can't afford to pay 5 grand for ins. I don't make enough to even make use of a 5 grand tax credit. What am I supposed to do under McCain's plan? I will tell you I am supposed to die without any health coverage. Under Obama's plan ins. would be made available to me at a rate I could afford. Now which plan am I going to be happy with? Which man would I be happy with as president? The answer is plan as the nose on your face.

October 4, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  5. Greg, San Francisco, CA

No Hillary=No Obama. Would you please get a freakin' life already? Hillary Clinton is out of the race.

October 4, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  6. Gia in Los Angeles

No way! No how! No McCain! No Palin! The end. Period!

Go Obama/Biden!! We need you desperately!!

October 4, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  7. ran

Easy fix to our health care problems: Universal health care. People McCain wants to privatize our health care the way our financial institutions are and we all have seen how that has turned out theses last few weeks. The only true way to any kind of health care reform is to Vote Obama/Biden and other Democrats.

October 4, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  8. Concerned Citizen, IN

It is time for McCain to come forward and speak up about his true intentions on taxing the employer-paid health care benefits. The rebuttle from Biden in the VP debate was dodged by Palin because her and McCain both know it is a tax increase, and they continue to spew the lie that they will cut taxes for everyone, and have the nerve to say Obama will raise taxes.

Real journalists need to make it clear to the American people the seriousness of his proposal. This is a deal-breaker for me, and I would vote against McCain for this proposal alone. This will cost millions of Americans their health insurance, and will take money out of their pockets.

The lack of reporting on this issue is disgusting. MSM should be ashamed of themselves for its continuing refusal to challenge McCain and Palin on their policies.

October 4, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  9. Mike

Tucker is right. The McBush Health Care Plan is not Radical. It is Stupid. My Health Care Plan costs me Twelve Thousand Dollars a year. I am sure that McCains costs even more. Five thousand dollars will not help people afford a twelve thousand dollar plan when that twelve thousand is not actually paid out , but only given as a tax break.
    Plus the McBush promise to De Regulate the Health Insurance Industry will destroy it just like it destroyed the Banks. IDIOT !

October 4, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  10. Mccain is a liar

No Hillary = No Obama, go ahead and vote for Mccain, if he wins you'll get everything you deserve, I just feel sorry for your kids if you have any or ever plan to.

October 4, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  11. Ron Canada.

No Hillary-No Obama. this one is for you. You must be a Rep.
    No Dem would be so dumb to make a statement like you did.

LISTEN TO THE REST OF THE WORLD. OBAMA IS THE MAN.

October 4, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  12. ricardo williams

McCain health care plan is scary. I pay more than $5000 a year in health care and dental care. McCain's plan will fix one tooth before I go broke. McCain is crazy and an elitist.
    I want Sarah Palin to sell McCain's houses and cars on EBAY
    McCain is so out of touch and another George Bush term.

October 4, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  13. Helen, NY

Obama himself is a radical so his plans are radical. He already brought in socialism in our economic system. This is very dangerous for our country and Obama is a cause of it. Obama is dangerous.

October 4, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  14. Lynn: 60 yr old white Obama supporter

No Hillary: Well McCain seem to like the ideas as he is constantly taking his slogans and policies as his own.

People reading this blog should also read the fact check on Palin's comments about Obama's health care plan...her comments once again proven to be FALSE!!!

October 4, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  15. mother of three girls

HI CNN HOW COME ALL MY COMMENT NEVER POSTED .. DO YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEM WITH MY E-MAIL ADDRESS ( SINCE IT IS MIDL-EASTERN NAME ) I WILL TRY ONE MORE TIME BUT AFTER THAT I WILL STOP GETTING TO CNN TICKER ....

October 4, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  16. RJ

This empty-suited, terrorist-loving, racist hack NObama never ceases to amaze me with his idiotic talk. So McCain's plan is "radical", huh. Better to let the government take health care over and manage it soooo well, just like Fannie, Freddie, Medicare, Social Security, etc etc.... What a doofus.

October 4, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  17. banderson

Since when is going to Harvard a bad thing. Jealousy will get you no where.

October 4, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  18. OBAMA 4 President

The reality is Obama has run a terrific campaign with unprecedented success.

McCain has a lot to learn from Obama.

As for his choice of Sarah Palin, well that automatically disqualifies him as a choice for Presidency, at his most critical decision in this race, he has shown very, very bad judgment. He wanted to please the right-wing nut jobs, well then lets see if they'll vote him in.

Why can't people speak the truth, while Sarah Palin seems like a true pit bull with lipstick attack dog, she lacks a lot of finesse for someone seeking the highest office in the land. She fights like a street thug, attacks unfairly on irrelevant issues, and refuses to be vetted by the American public. Every candidate has gone through the fire, why should she be excluded. I say if you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

Anyway it's all moot now since we know that McBushPalin will not win. They did provide some comic relief though!

October 4, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  19. Dan, TX

The republican fuel is engendering hatred against their opponents. Hatred is not what made this country great. The republicans are republicans in name only. Where is my republican party? Where is it? McCain and Palin don't represent the America I want my children to live in.

October 4, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  20. Stan Chraminski

Palin was on Hugh Hewitt radio show just recently and said she solved her own health insurance problems and costs because she and her husband got good union jobs with benefits. This is just what McCain is trying to stop. Republicans have been tearing down unions since Reagan and now want to trash employer sponsored health insurance. Maybe McCain should put Palin in the loop. Seems like her solution is just what we actually want but even that's not working well and leaving almost 50 million uninsured. McCain's been on "socialized" government benefit medical insurance his whole life yet hasn't a clue. Yes, they care about Joe Sixpack – until he gets sick.

October 4, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  21. Joe Sixpack

What does the federal government do well other than take your money every year? So Obama thinks they will provide good health care. What a joke. Obama wants to be president and save all the aids infected people of Aferica. So they can live long enough to infect ten others before they die. Smart democrat.

October 4, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  22. stacy

One has to believe that Obama is the radical.

October 4, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  23. me

Wow, I really want the government to run my healthcare! The doctor would be just like the DMV then! And everyone wants that, right?

McCain's plan allows the free enterprise system of the U.S. to create competition in the healthcare market. If someone is offering a good deal, you're going to try to beat that deal to get customers, right? So why not apply that to healthcare? It's simple, doesn't cost any tax dollars, and doesn't involve a DMV-like experience at the doctor!

October 4, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  24. former gop

McCain thinks 5 grand is a lot of money to the average American. It won't even buy health insurance for three months for a small family.

MCCAIN, PLEASE JOIN US. WE'RE IN THE YEAR 2008 NOW.

October 4, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  25. Jorge

Who would want to keep more of the money they earn and make their own decisions when it comes to purchasing their health insurance? Oh my god! That is absolutely terrifying! Please no more radical ideas. Let the government take our money so they can provide nationalized healthcare. They have already ruined Social Security and Medicare but at least when hey nationalize healthcare everyone will have it.

October 4, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |