October 4th, 2008

Palin disagrees with McCain's Michigan decision

Palin wants to keep trying in Michigan.
Palin wants to keep trying in Michigan.

(CNN) – The McCain campaign decided this week that the battleground state of Michigan may be out of reach for the Republican ticket this year - a move that's drawn criticism from one prominent dissenter: VP nominee Sarah Palin.

Earlier: McCain cedes Michigan to Obama

In an interview with Fox News Friday the Republican vice presidential candidate appeared to be disappointed with the decision and said she still wants to take a stab at winning the state that hasn't voted for a Republican presidential candidate in two decades.

She also said she made her disagreement known to top campaign officials:

"I fired a quick e-mail and said, 'oh, come on! Do we have to call it there?' she said. " Todd and I would [be] happy to get to Michigan and walk through those plants [with] car manufacturers.

"We'd be so happy to get to speak with the people there in Michigan, who are hurting because the economy is hurting," she added. "Whatever we can do and whatever Todd and I can do in realizing what their challenges in that state are, as we can relate to them and connect with them and promise them that we won't let them down in the administration."

Earlier: Palin calls Obama comment 'reckless,' criticizes Couric

McCain aides told CNN Thursday Michigan increasingly appeared a long shot the Arizona senator and the campaign had decided to divert its resources there to other key battleground states. The latest CNN poll of polls in Michigan shows Obama with an 8 point lead in the state where the nation's economic woes have hit hard.

Related: McCain dropped $2 million before pulling up Michigan stake

But Palin maintained Friday she and McCain still have a shot there.

"I want to get back to Michigan, and I want to try," she said.

Filed under: John McCain • Michigan • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. Joe

Here is a question for the Gov. Palin:

So you and Todd are both on the campaign trail while the kids are at home. How many Americans can afford to have that type of child care? It does not sound like you are a "working mom" to me.

Joe,
    Houston, TX

October 3, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  2. marvin

all you so called "liberals"need to realize that with you following Obama is a clear case of the blind leading the blind.you are pathetic because you don't realize that most of the credit crisis stems from your fearless leader "Bill" who urged leanding institutions to hanout mortgages to anybody who asked for them regardless of whether they could afford it.thats all you want is a handout,somebody to give you something you don't earn.

October 3, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  3. Mike

"Todd and I would [be] happy to get to Michigan and walk through those plants [with] car manufacturers."

Yeah, because that is all you gotta do to win them over! You have done it again Mrs. Palin!

I have no clue where John McCain would be without you...Other than maybe 4 points higher in most polls.

October 3, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  4. nadeem

Was that written on her cue card?

Isn't Todd the guy who wants Alaska to succeed from the union?

October 3, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  5. kayla

PALIN, MCSAME IS YOUR BOSS, WHY DON'T YOU LISTEN TO HIM AFTER ALL HE KNOWS BEST. OBAMA 08

October 3, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  6. Meka

IT'S AMAZING THAT SHE DON'T KNOW, WHAT SHE'S DEALING WITH. . .HE PICKED HER AS HIS VP!

OH, I FORGOT!

October 3, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  7. Scott - Republican

LOL!!! Chandra, you're hilarious! There's no way I'm voting for the hillbilly from Wasilla!

October 3, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  8. Palin is Incompetent and Unfit

This woman is a complete and total idiot! She speaks out against the strategy of her own Party and her running mate??? She does not know how to answer a single issues-related question, complains and whines when her ignorance is exposed, wants to subvert the Constitution and increase the powers of the VP (she probably has never read the Constitution), wants to continue a disastrous war in Iraq where our soldiers are still dying every single day, and then tries to call Obama unqualified??? What an awful joke she is! It shows McCain has no sense of judgment when it comes to important decisions. Palin is the worst VP pick ever! She was AWFUL in the debate last night. She did not answer a single question asked her and then even said she was not going to answer the questions asked her! Did anyone else see the stack of papers she had on her podium and how she was desperately searching through them when Biden was speaking?? She was looking for what she should say next. She is a national disgrace and an insult to women everywhere. Shut up Palin – you only make us hate you more every time you speak. Your ignorance and incompetence is staggering!

October 3, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  9. Amanda

and who's going to fund your "trip" there Palin?? are you going to fly there on your ebay jet? or don't you think its better to spend the campaign money elsewhere where it will put to better use?

October 3, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  10. pghezzi

i hope that michigan, my home state, is too samrt to vote for the mcain, palin ticket. we are known for inteligent people.. why mcain picked palin is still a mystery to most of us. as for her DEBATE, someone needs to tell her that she was susposed to ANSWER questions. we do not want a joe-six- pac in the white house, we have had one for 8 years and look where we are now. but what can i say about people who voted bush in for a second term. go obama, biden, you have my vote and everyone in my family. proud voter from michigan.

October 3, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  11. alvino

Sarah & Todd have never let reality enter into their mindset. I think that John McCain should sit back and let these two have all the funds they need and allow them to take over the entire campaign. Maybe John will fire those lobbyists in charge of his campaign and Tucker Bounds too. Sarah is becoming quite full of herself.

October 3, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  12. Manny

But I thought "McCain will never wave the white flag of surrender" , lol !

Point and laugh, everyone point and laugh.

October 3, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  13. red33,cedar rapids, ia

I have to write an email here, as the ones on Sarah Palin were closed.
    I cannot believe all the ignorant comments made against her; she has more experience than Obama has, but no one wants to admit it. Apparently these hateful comments about Palin come because the people are very misinformed. Read up a little before you 'speak'; it might be a good idea, for a change.

October 3, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  14. Billy

If Todd is going to have influence in governance, will his name appear on the ballot?

Maybe letting your spouse sit in on meetings and having them conduct official gov business is OK in Alaska, but her in the national arena, if I don't get to vote for you, stay the hell out of my politics!

October 3, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  15. YES WE CAN, 32 MORE DAYS!

It's really going to happen.

I can't believe it. I have never seen this country pull together so unanimously for one goal–to elect Barack Obama and Joe Biden. I love the fact that rich Americans (Warren Buffet), poor Americans (me, after looking at my 401K) and beloved Americans (Ted, Caroline Kennedy) are coming together for the good of all Americans. I also love the fact that latinos, whites, blacks and asians are standing together for our country, particularly the soldiers. We can do this people–YES WE CAN.

Obama/Biden 08

October 3, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  16. tara

Michigan doesn't want you McPalin!!!

October 3, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  17. Gypsy King

I cant wait to see her play with rattlesnakes and kicking out the warlocks and witches in Washington.

October 3, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  18. Walt

Good grief, when will November get here and this woman go away. Is the thrust of the McCain/Palin campaign to annoy voters so much that their heads explode?

I don't understand what anyone finds "folksy" and "cute" about this woman. I find her antics stupid and annoying.

October 3, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  19. Lisa

I live in Michigan, and trust me when I say Ms. Maverick, you don't stand a chance in Michigan. You sicken me with your lack of knowledge and experience. This is not the South-you can't win us over with your charm. We look for brains because this is too serious a problem in this state to do otherwise.

October 3, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  20. tatanka

John you better rein her in. Next thing you know she and Tod will be running for president.

October 3, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  21. mari

It's people like the earlier poster carol kesling ... October 3rd, 2008 6:32 pm ET
    (said by Carol Kesling)
    "SHUT UP AND GO home!!!!!! daddy said no and no is NO!!!!!!!dems dont like you repulsive reps !!!!!!!!!"

How immature this poster is. It's people like her (holier than thou attitude) that continues to attempt to keep the anger going. You really must wait until you have something of quality to add to this post. Fortunately for us, there are those of us who don't place any importance in your ignorance. You are an embarrasement to yourself.

October 3, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  22. joyce

well comeon, what a heckaca comment. how many palins are runing for vp. hell they both was governor of alaska. oh
    THEY WANT TO FOLLOW IN THE CLINTONS TRACKS.
    \clintons they will never come close to being. what a joke mcsain picked, actually two of them

October 3, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  23. Christine El Paso

Who's running for VP Sarah or Todd? I wanna know because Mr. first dude of Alaska isn't running for VP... or is he?

October 3, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  24. Wake-up America

Trouble in the camp. Be careful Johnny, this women is an ego maniac, cut throat and will do anything for her own advancement. I wouldn't be a bit surprised when she gets back to Alaska after you both lose Nov 4th, that she sues you for sexual discrimination.

She is dangerous!!!!

October 3, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  25. Fritz

Sarah Palin just eats your Commie Liberal Lunches, doesn't she? You just looovvve to use the word "dangerous," don't you? OOOUUU!! She's dangerous! That sounds so dark and scawwee! She's dangerous all right! She steals some of the Demo-nazi's thunder and that's just too hard for you to take. Despite your liberal media tricks, she's still a crowd pleaser and you can't stand. Get over it, you whiners!!

October 3, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |