October 4th, 2008

Palin disagrees with McCain's Michigan decision

Palin wants to keep trying in Michigan.
Palin wants to keep trying in Michigan.

(CNN) – The McCain campaign decided this week that the battleground state of Michigan may be out of reach for the Republican ticket this year - a move that's drawn criticism from one prominent dissenter: VP nominee Sarah Palin.

Earlier: McCain cedes Michigan to Obama

In an interview with Fox News Friday the Republican vice presidential candidate appeared to be disappointed with the decision and said she still wants to take a stab at winning the state that hasn't voted for a Republican presidential candidate in two decades.

She also said she made her disagreement known to top campaign officials:

"I fired a quick e-mail and said, 'oh, come on! Do we have to call it there?' she said. " Todd and I would [be] happy to get to Michigan and walk through those plants [with] car manufacturers.

"We'd be so happy to get to speak with the people there in Michigan, who are hurting because the economy is hurting," she added. "Whatever we can do and whatever Todd and I can do in realizing what their challenges in that state are, as we can relate to them and connect with them and promise them that we won't let them down in the administration."

Earlier: Palin calls Obama comment 'reckless,' criticizes Couric

McCain aides told CNN Thursday Michigan increasingly appeared a long shot the Arizona senator and the campaign had decided to divert its resources there to other key battleground states. The latest CNN poll of polls in Michigan shows Obama with an 8 point lead in the state where the nation's economic woes have hit hard.

Related: McCain dropped $2 million before pulling up Michigan stake

But Palin maintained Friday she and McCain still have a shot there.

"I want to get back to Michigan, and I want to try," she said.

Filed under: John McCain • Michigan • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. Anne

Todd and I ...... what's that about?? Do we now have two VP candidates? Wonder if he already has a .gov email address?

I continue to be amazed at her tunnel vision about how others see her. Get a clue, Sarah! We don't see you like you see yourself?

Obama/Biden 08

October 3, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  2. carl

what have we become, once America the great. Let prophecy prevail.

October 3, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  3. Independent for Obama

Sarah Failing is thinking:
    "I betchya you don't need to be intelligent to run for the VP of United States Of America!! So all you Hockey MOMS, average JOE six packs, cheerleaders and serial winkers bring it on!!!! If I can contest for this spot at such a devastating time then you can when there wouldn't be anything left in 2012!!! "

October 3, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  4. Just Stay Where You Are

I want to see the look on Sean Hannity's face when Barack wins. Sean hates Barack and so does Rush Limbreath, and so does Elizabeth Hecklehoff. That is how I know I'm making the right decision.

Obama/Biden 08

October 3, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  5. SoCal

Todd and I and Trig, and Willow, and Piper, and...

Aren't those kids going to school?

And how's that poor 5 months old Trig was on the debate stage yesterday at 10:30PM, being bounced from hand to hand, ending up once again in the arms of little Piper?

And later on when Sarah was shown chanting "U.S.A." at her own "post-debate party" little Trig still there, huh?

Let's go to Michigan!

October 3, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  6. Linda/Michigan

Guess what? There are many democrats in Michigan voting for McCain/Palin this election. We would love to have Sarah and Todd here.
    Don't believe the polls. It might surprise you that McCain will take Michigan after all.
    We are disgusted with the media and their lies. They want you to believe that we have forgotten about Wright, Ayers, Rezko, Pflger, and now ACORN. Maybe you can overlook this but we can't.

October 3, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  7. M Smith

stay there in MI, Obama & Joe can canvas the rest of the battleground states while grandpa John is off on his own.

October 3, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  8. GT

Todd? SInce when is Todd running for office? Sounds like all of the reports from Alaska are true. Todd was VERY involved in the politics of the govenor's office. Why should we not expect the same if his wife is the VP? Day-by-day this woman proves herself more and more dangerous.

October 3, 2008 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  9. M. Winners

McCain can't win Michigan and Plain can't accept that fact. She's delusional.
    And, what's Todd got to do with anything? He's just Palin's "arm candy" – you know, sweet but with no nutritional value...

October 3, 2008 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  10. CA Senior, San Jose

It seems like a little girl thing. Anyone can be trained to articulate words that were instilled into their head and/or use canned lines from a little cheat sheet as she did in the debate. Everyone, even those who adore her, thinks the words came from her own beliefs, or maybe not. During the debate, as we all observed, she used her cheat cards to say something that was irrelevant to the questions she was asked.

October 3, 2008 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  11. Tired of Non-issues

It's awesome to see the moonbats get all riled up. You people have no idea how to attack her now that she has footing.

And you say Republicans run negatively? Please, look in the mirror.

October 3, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  12. tigerakabj

She should know that McCain does not like it when a woman gets out of her place. To him they are supposed to stand there and look pretty.

If this causes more tension in their camp I say fire away Palin. Get up in his face and say, "Look old guy, I came and saved your lackluster campaign. People come to see me, not you! I don't care if you won 10 primaries, I'm runnning this show!"

Obama/Biden 2008/2012.

October 3, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  13. Peter

Man....This lady cannot talk. This is why she cannot talk to regular reporters. She can only talk to conservatives.

So happy...people are hurting...huh?

October 3, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  14. ts

Palin can go there . Her folksy act won't play there.

October 3, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  15. Stella Michaiud

What I find frustrating is when I hear how bad Sarah Palin or how good Biden did...
    Would you say if you have only been on the job as VP for 5 weeks, and you have been Senator for almost 35 yrs, who do you think know more about issues ?? Of course it the one that has been on the job for 35 yrs...So silly to say that she isn't ready for VP jpb, would you be after 5 weeks?/ O r were you at your best after 5 weeks at your present job??

After reading these comments I am sure she has plenty of money to have someone looking after her chidlren, I presume they both have set of parent?? I can come and work for her if she wants me to?

October 3, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  16. zac

FOR GOD SAKE THIS WOMAN IS LOOSIN IT

October 3, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  17. joan

Todd and I? Todd and I? Mr. Mccain, Watch out. Pailin and her husband might be much power hungrier than you.

October 3, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  18. Matt

I agree with an earlier comment made someone on this topic, that, at that rate, why doesn't he just do everybody one more and just concede the election altogether?

And I also agree with the comment above, who's watching the kids? I felt so bad for Trig to have be dragged into the post debate rally thing. He was sleeping it looked like, but I'm sure not for long.

I really hope this "folksy" stuff of hers gets seen through quick. She said she was speaking directly to America. I didn't feel like she was speaking directly to me, and that $150,000 tax return of hers confirmed it. That "eye winking" stuff she did got old quick too. Reminds me too much of W's "heh heh heh" whenever he thinks he's funny.

October 3, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  19. Chris

This is as transparent as they come. McCain needed to find a way to connect with the state of Michigan, so he said he would pullout and this action allowed Palin to jump in and appear to be in-charge, confident. I mean this is Politics/PR at its best or what. And for one thing, this is the only state in-which she can relate to. I mean Detroit is called Hockeytown. Ridiculous.

October 3, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  20. Sean

Oh my God! When she is not confident, she is rediculous and when she is confident, she is arrogant an d rediculous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 3, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  21. Valerie Hostutler

Watch out Sen. McCain, Gov. Palin moving you aside. Who's running this race. Tod and G. Palin.

October 3, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  22. Jim

This woman is pathetic!!! She can't string words together into a sentence that makes sense. Her presence (winks, gotcha, you bet...) is so unpresidential that it makes me sick. If this person doesn't get back to Alaska ASAP we will never be able to hold our heads up in the world again. She is a joke! I am personally mad that McCain picked such a stupid person. It is and has always been all about McCain. He could have picked someone, including a woman, that was qualified. This is just beyond belief. Pathetic! Pathetic! Pathetic! It also makes me mad that anyone could say that she is more likeable that Biden. How can anyone say that woman is likeable? Pathetic!

October 3, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  23. Manuel TX

I know that Obama and Biden have done so much for the people of Michigan, so Palin should not even make the effort.

Also, all the brilliant people submitting comments say that she shouldn't so that's it....it's unanimous. Twelve people have said no.

What a bunch of...

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

October 3, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  24. October Surprise We're Waiting

Watch your back Barack, it's October and the crazzies are out. I really want to hear about this October surprise the GOP concocting. I'll bet it's Osama bin Laden, they'll catch him and bring him to the states. Well, they could dress Osama up like Santa Clause and put him on my front porch. I still wouldn't vote for McShame.

Obama/Biden 08

October 3, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  25. Bill, ca

go moose hunting palin, season is on.

October 3, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |