October 4th, 2008

Palin disagrees with McCain's Michigan decision

Palin wants to keep trying in Michigan.
Palin wants to keep trying in Michigan.

(CNN) – The McCain campaign decided this week that the battleground state of Michigan may be out of reach for the Republican ticket this year - a move that's drawn criticism from one prominent dissenter: VP nominee Sarah Palin.

Earlier: McCain cedes Michigan to Obama

In an interview with Fox News Friday the Republican vice presidential candidate appeared to be disappointed with the decision and said she still wants to take a stab at winning the state that hasn't voted for a Republican presidential candidate in two decades.

She also said she made her disagreement known to top campaign officials:

"I fired a quick e-mail and said, 'oh, come on! Do we have to call it there?' she said. " Todd and I would [be] happy to get to Michigan and walk through those plants [with] car manufacturers.

"We'd be so happy to get to speak with the people there in Michigan, who are hurting because the economy is hurting," she added. "Whatever we can do and whatever Todd and I can do in realizing what their challenges in that state are, as we can relate to them and connect with them and promise them that we won't let them down in the administration."

Earlier: Palin calls Obama comment 'reckless,' criticizes Couric

McCain aides told CNN Thursday Michigan increasingly appeared a long shot the Arizona senator and the campaign had decided to divert its resources there to other key battleground states. The latest CNN poll of polls in Michigan shows Obama with an 8 point lead in the state where the nation's economic woes have hit hard.

Related: McCain dropped $2 million before pulling up Michigan stake

But Palin maintained Friday she and McCain still have a shot there.

"I want to get back to Michigan, and I want to try," she said.

Filed under: John McCain • Michigan • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. Mark, Detroit Michigan

just a lot of empty words..without meaning. What we go through she can't relate to, no matter how much she says she can.

October 3, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  2. Jasmine

Yawn. I expect CNN's "Fact Check" staff will be very busy after tuesdays debate.

October 3, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  3. A DEM

Wow, since she has a debate under her belt, it is now Sarah Palin at the top of the ticket!!!!

October 3, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  4. Wise White Guy

Is she serious? I don't think much of McCain but does she really think there is anyone with a brain in this country that covets her opinion on ANYTHING except how to repeatedly pop out kids and then go off and take a position that will mean she is never home to take care of them. What a great mom and demonstrator of family values. She is really helping the voice of women all right. It was not long ago i thought we could use a female President and now i am wondering if we should have females even as city aldermen.

October 3, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  5. Darrell

I didn't realize Tood was part of the ticket.She did say in debate that she wanted the VP to have more power.Since it is a fact that the Palins have a past with the need for power, and will stomp on everyone and anyone to get more power it should not surprise that her and Todd would love to campaign in Michigan.There is no question that she wants to be President and I guess she will try and have Todd as VP ? She scares the entire world !!! And I don't mean in a good way !

October 3, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  6. BJGT

Grandpa better do what his little chickie tells him or Todd might just get mad.

October 3, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  7. Le

The first thing I want to say is that debates are exciting, informative and intentionally so. In my view, Mrs. Palin uses debating in a way it ought not to be used. For example, she sounds more like a preacher with language (new energy, revelation, maverick, change is coming and a whole lot more). This is not how she should campaign. We are not electing a Pastor for Vice President to tell us about the apocalypse.

It didn't surprise me to learn that the Governor's background is from a new age Church in which she belongs. I don't think this will go over well with middle America.

Hopefully, McCain,72, will retire now.

October 3, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  8. Ron was a REP now a DEM

Now she is a political genius since she got throught a dumbed down debate.

Still no press meetings

October 3, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  9. mark

Looks like the Republican party is not the only union with deep divisions, the McCain/Palin ticket is coming apart as well.

October 3, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  10. Bobby

Move over Hillary there's a new girl in town!!!

October 3, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  11. are you kidding me??? I mean really

When you get there all you will do is dodge questions. And why would you bring your husband along with you...Oh, could it be because he will be the first "dude". I forgot that you can't run the state of Alaska without Todd's input.

Just a total joke!

Obama-Biden '08

October 3, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  12. Carol

A trial balloon to see how many people get excited about her and Todd
    dropping on by, or, is it the Palin/McCain ticket again and she's just going to do what she wants to do, John?

October 3, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  13. Pat H,Atlanta

There were some who were concerned about Bill being in the White House again, what about Todd walking the halls. Really scary huh?

October 3, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  14. bruja

Rich, don't do this to the Russians – they are not DAD bad....

October 3, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  15. David, Silver Spring, MD

John better watch it, or Sarah will drop him from the ticket!

October 3, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  16. a well educated woman

Whatever! How is she going to be a VP if she clashes with her PRESIDENTIAL running mate? I thought this was his to battle, not hers. MCCain ought to ask her to put up her own money to continue the campaign he has no chance of winning.

October 3, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  17. PCL

Sarah, because you have been trained for several days to spit out the party line in complete coherent sentences, doesn't mean that you really have a say in anything. You don't know your place but John and the people controlling the purse strings will let you know real quick. Just do what you are told for the rest of the campaign and when you lose go home quietly. America is not accepting anymore high level politicians who don't have a brain.

October 3, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  18. Jr

I think she not ready!

October 3, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  19. Frank Lee

This Barbie maverick is going to really piss the old man of before this is all done.

She's feeling her oats, and Gramps is going to have to give her a dope slap to keep her in line.

Unstable/Unable – McCain/Palin in '08

October 3, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  20. Patricia from Las Vegas

Just as long as she doesn't come to MY state!!!!!

October 3, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  21. Joe (in Alaska)

Ok I am a blue collar guy. I make one third of what her salary is for the year. But I know that I understand the economy and foreign affairs better than Sarah Palin. And yes I enjoy a cold Beer. But do not call me Joe Six Pack. I find it condescending on your part. I will call you Gov. Palin and you can call me Sir. Remember, you work for me Maam.

October 3, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  22. Lucy

That is incredible. Palin's idea is not too bad. She cannot do harm in Michigan!

October 3, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  23. Darla (Edmonton, Canada)

Uhhh ... Sarah .... its not your campaign to manage or to make decisions about ... its John McCain's. Michigan doesn't need you tramping around ... and frankly, neither do any of the other states.

October 3, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  24. laurie

"Todd" and I???? Is he on the ticket, now??? Heaven help us all.

October 3, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  25. Fox/Albuquerque NM

She might have gotten her confidence back from the debates, but I think she is being a little bit too "outspoken" and I think that is dangerous for the McCain Campaign.

October 3, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |