October 4th, 2008

Palin disagrees with McCain's Michigan decision

Palin wants to keep trying in Michigan.
Palin wants to keep trying in Michigan.

(CNN) – The McCain campaign decided this week that the battleground state of Michigan may be out of reach for the Republican ticket this year - a move that's drawn criticism from one prominent dissenter: VP nominee Sarah Palin.

Earlier: McCain cedes Michigan to Obama

In an interview with Fox News Friday the Republican vice presidential candidate appeared to be disappointed with the decision and said she still wants to take a stab at winning the state that hasn't voted for a Republican presidential candidate in two decades.

She also said she made her disagreement known to top campaign officials:

"I fired a quick e-mail and said, 'oh, come on! Do we have to call it there?' she said. " Todd and I would [be] happy to get to Michigan and walk through those plants [with] car manufacturers.

"We'd be so happy to get to speak with the people there in Michigan, who are hurting because the economy is hurting," she added. "Whatever we can do and whatever Todd and I can do in realizing what their challenges in that state are, as we can relate to them and connect with them and promise them that we won't let them down in the administration."

Earlier: Palin calls Obama comment 'reckless,' criticizes Couric

McCain aides told CNN Thursday Michigan increasingly appeared a long shot the Arizona senator and the campaign had decided to divert its resources there to other key battleground states. The latest CNN poll of polls in Michigan shows Obama with an 8 point lead in the state where the nation's economic woes have hit hard.

Related: McCain dropped $2 million before pulling up Michigan stake

But Palin maintained Friday she and McCain still have a shot there.

"I want to get back to Michigan, and I want to try," she said.

Filed under: John McCain • Michigan • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. Alex

Palin may as well get used to it...besides Michigan will be only the first and the rest will follow shortly. McCain is done!

October 3, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  2. Anonymous

O.......M......G....!!!!! TODD and HER??? TODD???? OH The First Dude ya mean..... I bet ya McCan't would just love that!!!

October 3, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  3. witch

They call Todd the shadow Gov you can bet he would be the shadow V.P. cause you know he was also ths shadow Mayor. I would hire a food tester if I was McCain she will poison him with her sweet ways

October 3, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  4. Dave

Perhaps the disagreement is staged. It seems a plausible effort to keep Mighigan in play while reallocating resources.
    Frankly, if it is not staged, a VP candidate "who has been doing this for what, five weeks?" publicly questioning the campaign's direction, and implicitly the presidential nominee's judgement, evidences ininformed arrogance seldom seen in a national campaign.

October 3, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  5. mother of three girls

oh god , who is she .. if i am McCain I will be worry that she will try to get rid of him to be the 1st woman lead USA ( if he win ) GO OBAMA AND BIDEN YOU ARE THE BEST ...

October 3, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  6. KW, Vail AZ

This person not only thinks she's qualified to be VP, but she really thinks she's qualified to be President. What an inflated ego.

October 3, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  7. Terie

Sarah Palin is a very greedy and power hungry woman who is totally unqualified to be the VP or the next President! She is totally totally ignorant about foreign policies and national security. If Sarah Palin thinks she so well qualified, why did she need to be tutored or given a crash course for a few days. During the VP debate, Sarah came off very fakey with her try hard folksy attitude which was totally out of place in a very serious national debate. Her scripted comments were so well rehearsed as if she is making a movie and plus, she kept sidestepping many questions. That sidestepping business indicated that she had no clue what the answer is and runs away from it just like John McCain when things get very sticky!!!

October 3, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  8. Mrs. Texas Teacher

McSame and bulldog Barbie are a real pair.... I mean seriously... I am so tired of hearing what a maverick McCain is. I'm tired of hearing Palin tell us she is the new kid on the block here to clean up Washington. If we need a girl next door soccer mom to run this country, we're in big trouble! The idea that we need a president we can drink a beer with at the corner bar, is ridiculous. If people need a drinking buddy, they should get one! But don't expect the rest of us to vote for him or her this time!

I'll take Brains over drinking buddies anytime. You what your drinking buddy has done to this country. Seriously!

October 3, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  9. Cindy

Hillary tried this tactic. She ended up $30 mil in debt. But, if Todd and Sarah want to try it again, be my guest...

October 3, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  10. She's singing

She is just trying to look like maverick. Leave her be. Her and McCain are no longer a threat. They will go down in flames if Obama just keeps his stride.

October 3, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  11. deborah

I think Palin should go back to Michigan and try, so those people that has been truly devastated by the economic crisis can give her a taste of reality. This could be the lesson in life she needs. I thnk they should let her try.

October 3, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  12. Rebecca Mauney

I can not even imagine Sarah Palin as a Vice President, and I have been a republican my whole life, let alone voting for John McCain for President. He is so out of touch with working people and the struggles they are having

October 3, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  13. Heidi Shumaker

Does anyone remember how last night in the debate Palin mocked Biden for having disagreed with Obama on a couple of votes? Later, she mentioned that there are a few things that she & McCain disagree on (drilling in ANWAR for example). Now she is on the record as disagreeing not only with McCain himself, but with the campaign! The double standards with these 2 are so stark, and what's funny is that they don't seem to care. Like when she said she & McCain would put the government's checkbook online. Oops, having coauthored that exact bill with a Republican, Obama had already been there done that. But Palin & McCain kept on saying it! No matter how often their lies are proven to be just that, they forge ahead with them anyway (think: Bridge to Nowhere, Thanks but No Thanks). Is this audacity? Cuz, I'm kind of uncomfortable thinking it could be just sheer stupidity.

October 3, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  14. steve

Now that Palin thinks she did well in last nights debate, Palin now has the big head and wants to run things. I guess Palin forgot that she is at the bottom of the ticket and not at the top. My question is what has Todd have to do with anything, isn't Todd suppose to be watching the kids? I mean who is watching the kids? Maybe that why Palin's olderst daughter is about to have child, because nobody is giving her undivided attention, nobody is in charge only looking out for their career first, "You betcha". Now Palin wants to be a heartbeat away from the POTUS, GOD forbid. Palin let the nation know that she is all about Power (the VP Chenny comment). I think the Troppergate will rear it's ugly head and present more problem for McCain's campaign this month.

October 3, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  15. Walt

WOW, just when you thought the theatrics could not get any worse!!! He announces yesterday that he is giving up on the State. The next day she challenges it. People, are you really, really this dumb?????

October 3, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  16. Bond_dallas

This is all a plan. They pull out of Michagan and she and her husband come out to get some sympathy. This is a good reverse plan.

October 3, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  17. S. Boatman Warrensburg, Mo.

Mccain Doesnt Want To Go Back To The Auto Plants Because He Was Protested There! I Do Hope He Will Go Backand Waste Time And Money So Obama Can Take Away More Of His States!

October 3, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  18. Had enough of the bs yet?

Narcissistic, sociopathic, intellectually challenged and now she (Palin) has the nerve to tell the 'experienced mature senator' how to run his campaign. How come no media is alert to how Cindy McCain is always standing way back in the background whenever McCain does a debate and they get all the families together at the end? How come Cindy always looks like she's so lonely? I feel kinda sad for Cindy. She seems like she could really use a friend.

October 3, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  19. Chris

she's completely out of league....
    Reminds me of the Muppets....the best of intentions ALWAYS ended in disaster. The only difference between Ms. Palin and Miss Piggy is that Miss Piggy was FUNNY!

October 3, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  20. MI Troll

"...[we'd be] happy to get to Michigan and walk through those plants [with] car manufacturers."

Is that all she thinks there is to Michigan? Walking through auto plants for a few photo ops? You're doing a heckuva job, Palin!

October 3, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  21. Survival of the Fittest

Todd and I, Palin? For a moment we in Michigan thought you and McCain were running for office nto Todd. In anycase, forget Michigan. We are out of your league, barracuda baby! No way. No how. No McPalin.

October 3, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  22. Tom

Mediocrity reigns as the nation sank. What's next? Another 4 years of incompetence? Who needs dramacomedies. The nation is a stage. Don't bring the popcorn – I don't think I can eat any!

October 3, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  23. Help! Wake me up!

"Todd and I"??? That just confirms for me that he tells her what to do and has his nose all up in things. That's why he was copied on state email in Alaska. I wish she would walk through an auto plant.

They practically ran McCain out of there. I guess she thinks she's got it like that!

October 3, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  24. Cuban-mami-4-OBAMA

Interesting. One thing is for sure, IF Gov. Palin were a Democrat, the Far-right-family-values people would be putting ads on TV claiming that she's an unfit mother! And the Far-right-family-values people would be on every news station saying how "these liberal-me-first-women have abandonned their families"........ but you noticed........ SILENCE ....... about Palin leaving her infant of only 5 months.

I can't believe for a second that there are not plenty of conservative-moms out there who may just not vote this November, because Palin goes against their values.

Isn't it amusing how the Far-right-attack-machine only attacks the Democrats, but when their own do exactly what liberated women do, mum's the word.

What hypocrites!

October 3, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  25. Noemi in Los Angeles

Thanks but no thanks, Palin. Stop trying to spread your venom.

October 3, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |