October 4th, 2008

Palin disagrees with McCain's Michigan decision

Palin wants to keep trying in Michigan.
Palin wants to keep trying in Michigan.

(CNN) – The McCain campaign decided this week that the battleground state of Michigan may be out of reach for the Republican ticket this year - a move that's drawn criticism from one prominent dissenter: VP nominee Sarah Palin.

Earlier: McCain cedes Michigan to Obama

In an interview with Fox News Friday the Republican vice presidential candidate appeared to be disappointed with the decision and said she still wants to take a stab at winning the state that hasn't voted for a Republican presidential candidate in two decades.

She also said she made her disagreement known to top campaign officials:

"I fired a quick e-mail and said, 'oh, come on! Do we have to call it there?' she said. " Todd and I would [be] happy to get to Michigan and walk through those plants [with] car manufacturers.

"We'd be so happy to get to speak with the people there in Michigan, who are hurting because the economy is hurting," she added. "Whatever we can do and whatever Todd and I can do in realizing what their challenges in that state are, as we can relate to them and connect with them and promise them that we won't let them down in the administration."

Earlier: Palin calls Obama comment 'reckless,' criticizes Couric

McCain aides told CNN Thursday Michigan increasingly appeared a long shot the Arizona senator and the campaign had decided to divert its resources there to other key battleground states. The latest CNN poll of polls in Michigan shows Obama with an 8 point lead in the state where the nation's economic woes have hit hard.

Related: McCain dropped $2 million before pulling up Michigan stake

But Palin maintained Friday she and McCain still have a shot there.

"I want to get back to Michigan, and I want to try," she said.

Filed under: John McCain • Michigan • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. GREG

It's just a ploy. There's no way she would purposely oppose the parties running mate. It's just a stab at getting Michigan voters to think her ticket cares about them. Nice try. But like all other McBush/Palin BS calculated manoevers, it won't work THIS time around. People are wising up.

October 3, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  2. orindan

It can feel good to be enthusiastic and ingratiate yourself to a big audience, but this will be a big learning experience for Palin.

They are running as mavericks, but even maverick bosses don't like to be crossed in public. This won't happen again. McCain won't allow it, and shouldn't. Disagree on a policy, maybe, but on campaign strategy? No way (unless Palin wants to be the next Lane Kiffin).

The "Todd and I" thing is more discomforting. People didn't take to HRC running part of the show when Bill was President – Palin needs to prove that she can survive on the trail on her own. Particularly when the interview disasters created doubts about her ability to think on her own. That had better stop, or the undecided moderates who are back on the fence after last night will fall off to the Democratic side.

October 3, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  3. Karen Saucedo

I second mk's comment: "Todd and I will walk through the auto factories and see what we can do for them..." Huh? Todd isn't up for ANY office. I don't want Palin and I sure as H do not want Todd.
    This woman may be a pleasure to be around in her sparsely populated space and her tiny hometown but that charm will NOT make it day-to-day in the 'big city' with NATIONAL concerns. A quick cram course will never change that. Folksy is nice....in its place. The National Stage, The National Forum is not the place. We have a lot of dire problems. We don't need a soccer mom. We need a strong, experienced vice presidential candidate who can hit the ground running....not someone carting hubby from place to place and hiding from the media while she crams on index cards. For Pete's Sake!!

October 3, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  4. Ryan

Doesn't anyone find it interesting that McCain made this decision without consulting her??? She found out about it after the fact and then she fired off the email!

Come on media do your job. It is obvious she isn't involved in any campaign strategy. I guess she will have to "study up" on that too. Only 30 days left, can she cram it all in there?

October 3, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  5. Sesh

Todd `s power to swing votes was a secret so far .` Todd and I ` if given chance at least from now onwards can surely upset the prediction of political pundits .Land slide victory is certain. Name of the party is any body`s guess

October 3, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  6. pam dallas

Just curious – is it "Todd & I" running for VP or is it Sarah? In Alaska, he was deeply involved in the running of the state & was even cc'd on official emails. Seems to me that Sarah can't do anything without the help of a man & that's offensive. I, along with every other woman I know, have worked way too hard & been way too competent to put up with an incompetent who relies on cutsey, perky vapidness to mask her inadequacies. Her little winks, her "you betcha"...fake, fake, fake & empty. As a mother, I'm personally offended – her use of her baby as a political prop goes beyond the pale. People, please. We deserve better than this. Have we learned nothing in the last 8 years? We need the best & the brightest. We need Obama & Biden.

October 3, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  7. Karen

NO WAY! NO HOW! NO MCCAIN-PALIN.

October 3, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  8. MICHIGAN WAS NOT IMPRESSED LAST WEEK MCCRYPT'S SUPERMAN SUIT SHOWED HIS MANBREASTS, HIS COMBOVER OVERCOMBED, HIS DEPENDS PANTYLINE AND A LIMP CAPE!

YEEOOWWW!

Thankfully you saved us the drama antics this week!

YIKES, now I have that visual seared into my retina!!!

October 3, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  9. Edward

Sarah Palin's tax returns just got released. Not good. She did not declare her per diem payments as income despite getting them for staying in her own residence. That is likely tax evasion, a serious concern that could sink her candidacy and career.

October 3, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  10. dem4McCain

As a McCain/Palin supportor it is fine if they do not make it back here to Michigan because they have been here alot and we are all voting for McCain and him not coming will not change our minds. We love McCain?Palin here in Michigan. He is the right person for the job.

October 3, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  11. Gail

It appears Todd helps run Alaksa too. Perhaps we should have a co-VP debate.

October 3, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  12. dem4McCain

We love McCain/Palin here in Michigan and will back them fully....

October 3, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  13. Attitude Dude

You all (reporter's) are right up there on "The List" with Lawyers! Bottom feeder's who want nothing but acknowlegement of themselves! Look my name in print, wow! SLAP! Try to report the FACTS, not your opinion, that's what reporting is!

October 3, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  14. devams

Re: the VP debates...

Does anyone realize how similar this all is to the debates in 2000 between Gore and Bush?

I specifically remember an analyst saying at that time, "well, Gore didn't roll his eyes as much and Bush seemed to have a better grasp of the issues."

The Biden/Palin debate is a rerun of the year 2000 and look where that election got us. The fact that we're still putting style and substance on equal footing is absolutely ludicrous.

October 3, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  15. RevC

Uh, yeah.

This "little engine that could" crapola was tired a long time ago; give it a rest, guvnah. Go 'om and bag a moose, or whatever it is you and "Todd" do in those long winters...

October 3, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  16. Carl Justus

Go there Mrs. Palin and tell them how good they have had it under this failed administration. Tell them how their paychecks have kept up with the rich and owners. Tell you are going to change things, Tell you will make congress do as you say and if they don.t you will fire the whole bunch, just like you did the man who would not fire you brother in law. Tell how you can get the car manufacturers to build more plants and sell more cars and hire more workers with higher wages.

And you think Curic ask too hard of questions and did not give you answers before hand so you could look like you knew what the world is all about.

October 3, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  17. Verlon

Oh, yeah. That's going to go over well. Come on over here to Michigan, Sarah.

You think Katie Couric is harsh? Try the Detroit News and Free Press. Talk about digging your own grave.

October 3, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  18. VP

Todd : A guy without college education is going rule this country. Are you guys ashamed?

I don't want to se a Joe Six Pack as my VP or president. I want a vishionary to rule this coutry and lead us to future. I don't care if its democrat or republican. I cannot afford a village villian.

October 3, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  19. Not fit.

you know, the more i think of the debate, the more i see a little girl who still plays with her baby dolls trying to compete with a grown man on that stage....

i felt sorry for joe biden because he really didn't have a real adult, intellectual and informed candidate to debate against. this is all a joke for her and i think she thinks America is her big dollhouse.

October 3, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  20. Angelo

Todd & I? Todd disagrees??? and?

Maybe you should also try Russia since you can see it from your house!!!

October 3, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  21. No Hillary = No Obama

And so do we. Sarah Palin needs to go to that state that is as cold as parts of Alaska in the winter time and walk that talk. Palin will keep McCain in the game. I am so disgusted with the swift boating of Hillary CLinton by her own party and needless to say, the media, that I have switched from Democrat to Indepdent and No Obama, No Way, No How -

October 3, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  22. geek

Governor Palin does not understand the concept of throwing good money to bad and that the electoral college is winner take all by state.

Putting the money where the race is close makes sense.

Gee golly has worn thin on me. If you don't understand the game you should not be in it.

October 3, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  23. Lyda

TWO COMMENTS:
    (1) I live in Sarah Palins hometown of Wasilla. She and I have lived in Alaska our whole lives. Where in the heck does she get that FAKE accent? People in Alaska do NOT talk like that. She sounds like she's from Fargo, North Dakota more than southcentral Alaska!
    (2) USA is facing, not only down and dirty, financial times, but razors edge foreign policy times. We need someone who is boringly familiar with the nuts and bolts of government (like Biden) and not an ex-prom queen behind the wheel for our country. She is obviously a good "front woman" for McCain, but she simply doesn't have the "beef" it's going to take to get our country out of this mes..

October 3, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  24. RM

That Fox interview was awful. She said the reason she behaved the way she did in Couric's interview was because she was annoyed. She is so unprofessional. What will she do as VP? She stated the worst thing Cheney did was shoot that man in the duck accident. She doesn’t know anything. She could never be put on the spot about any issue.
    America, demand more from your candidates!

October 3, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  25. Jack

Bush tax cuts are IRRESPONSIBLE!.....wait....let me rephrase that...let's keep the Bush tax cuts!

We CANNOT bail out AIG!....Er...strike that....I mean we are simply forced to bail out AIG or else...just ignore that first part....

The fundamentals of the economy are strong!....Er....I mean were in the worst crisis since the great drepression, my dear fundamentals, to whom I was addressing my prior comments as they relate to something...being strong, mind you.

Suspend the campaign, put off the debate until the mess is sorted out! No quick fix? Ok, lets debate anyway.

McCain: We're out of Michigan!
    Palin: We should go back in to Michigan, me an Todd'll go to the car factories and everything also.

I hate to use the bizz word of the day, but erratic seems to fit the bill.

October 3, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |