October 4th, 2008

Palin disagrees with McCain's Michigan decision

Palin wants to keep trying in Michigan.
Palin wants to keep trying in Michigan.

(CNN) – The McCain campaign decided this week that the battleground state of Michigan may be out of reach for the Republican ticket this year - a move that's drawn criticism from one prominent dissenter: VP nominee Sarah Palin.

Earlier: McCain cedes Michigan to Obama

In an interview with Fox News Friday the Republican vice presidential candidate appeared to be disappointed with the decision and said she still wants to take a stab at winning the state that hasn't voted for a Republican presidential candidate in two decades.

She also said she made her disagreement known to top campaign officials:

"I fired a quick e-mail and said, 'oh, come on! Do we have to call it there?' she said. " Todd and I would [be] happy to get to Michigan and walk through those plants [with] car manufacturers.

"We'd be so happy to get to speak with the people there in Michigan, who are hurting because the economy is hurting," she added. "Whatever we can do and whatever Todd and I can do in realizing what their challenges in that state are, as we can relate to them and connect with them and promise them that we won't let them down in the administration."

Earlier: Palin calls Obama comment 'reckless,' criticizes Couric

McCain aides told CNN Thursday Michigan increasingly appeared a long shot the Arizona senator and the campaign had decided to divert its resources there to other key battleground states. The latest CNN poll of polls in Michigan shows Obama with an 8 point lead in the state where the nation's economic woes have hit hard.

Related: McCain dropped $2 million before pulling up Michigan stake

But Palin maintained Friday she and McCain still have a shot there.

"I want to get back to Michigan, and I want to try," she said.

Filed under: John McCain • Michigan • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. Ellie in Aurora, CO

Wow! Not sure if that's desperation or an over-inflated ambition... perhaps both. This woman barely squeaked by with her scripted debate script, allowed the world to see that she is about as intellectually UN-curious as anyone out there, and now wants to run the campaign? OMG – she is just a frightening person. Please can we have a smart ticket this time?!! Go Obama/Biden!!

October 3, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  2. Republican For Obama

"I just want to get back to Michigan and try", she said.

Why don't just do us all a favor and get back to Alaska and try not to open your mouth on your way out.

True conservatives balk at this ticket. Neither you or McCain are qualified for the Presidency.

October 3, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  3. Jadan

I'm a republican. Will vote for Obama and republicans for township, congress, state.

Anyone, can be governor (Arnold, Ventura, Palin). She may be ready to lead Alaska, but not great to lead the nation. Yesterday's debate proved it. She read good scipts and had no real thoughts. I admire conservatives who can write their own scripts.

October 3, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  4. Charles

She does not get it. She is enjoying the spot light too much & does not know enough about polls, demographs & politics. The fact is they will not win Michigan & McCain as pig headed as he is, knows when to say when. The smiling beauty queen just wants to ride a float throughout Michigan & wave at her loyal subjects.

October 3, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  5. Obama is for UNITING of the PEOPLE

"she still wants to take a stab at wining the state that hasn't voted for a Republican presidential candidate in two decades". STAB?????????? LORD help us....IF this lack of a REAL American woman get anywhere near the White House, WE are going to be the LAUGHING JOKES of Country. My son can speak BETTER English then she has, and he is only seven years old......................

Someone PLEASE tell me this is a PRANK!!!!!!!

October 3, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  6. Hank Pihl

McCain made the biggest misstake selecting Sarah Palin as his
    running mate.
    She is a disgrace,and how she became a governor from Alaska is beyond me.
    Her answers from the debate last night were put in her mouth,and she never,I said never answered a question correctly.
    What a joke.
    If she is all the republican party has to offer,than we are in bad shape.
    Please don't let het go to Michigan,they will destroy her like Bush and
    his administration has destroyed so many families there.
    Hugh Hefner is looking to put her in play boy,this is perhaps a better
    deal for Sarah.

NO WHITE HOUSE FOR SARAH.

October 3, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  7. D&D

I guess McCain doesn't know what to do with Palin anymore...he's losing his full control on her..I wonder how it might be if they have to work in the same office!

October 3, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  8. Jamie

Todd and I? Why is he following her around like a lil' shadow?

October 3, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  9. Henry

Mccain should use his favorite quote on her "It's very clear that Palin doesn't understand this things." We had a winning errrrr losing strategy in Michigan you can't just withdraw like that you gotta have a strategy. A winning strategy. The surge was working like it worked in Iraq and Afghanistan. I know these things. I have worked in this area for over 90 years.

October 3, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  10. shadowgovt

Palin, I've had it with your folksy anecdotes, doggone it. You and McCain and frankly anyone else who either agrees with or supports deregulation can take a slow boat to China. You have all de-regulated our way into the poor house. This bailout won't amount to squat and you can bet we'll find ourselves in another spot soon enough, then what? Great Depression Part II, courtesy of the Rovian Repukelicans. You don't have now and never will have my vote. And President Bush, no thanks to you for being the WORST president in history. An $800 billion bailout, and the only real thing you're doing for Main Street other than a couple of laughable tax breaks is raisng the FDIC limit from $100,000 to $250,000? Wow. That's a news flash. Anyone with over $100,000 certainly isn't keeping it in a freaking bank account! I'm voting the bums out and giving the new guy a shot.

October 3, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  11. Jeff C

It's almost as if Palin is already distancing herself from the McCain defeat, as if she thinks she has a future in 2012 & beyond. Talk about delusional!

October 3, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  12. Richard

Yeah, I was a little puzzled by the "Todd and I" lines too. I forget, which office is he running for again or is the VP slot on the Republican ticket actually a double one? (in which case, couldn't they have filled at least one of those slots with someone even remotely up to the job?)

October 3, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  13. Republican For Obama

And who is this TODD?

What a joke. The snowmobile racer and the moose hunting beauty queen. PERFECT. This is ridiculous and insulting to true conservatives.

October 3, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  14. map

I have watched several debates, but I have never seen nor heard an nominee stating during a debate that the "US Government" (and those CEOs) are corrupt. I work for the government in a Top Secret capacity and I am not corrupt! I take offense to ignorant statements like that. Please tell the Governor for me that I challenge her on her corrupt position. That statement is a good indicator of Palin's worth. What do you expect from an individual when question about President Bush's agenda, she stated she never heard of it, and bragged about her not knowing what the VP did on a daily basis.

October 3, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  15. Texas voter

Palin is out of her league and says nonsense. This woman wants to get her husband involved in something he is not being elected...she needs to return to Alaska...she has no substance and wants to blame everyone else for the failures she has committed..take RESPONSIBILITY PALIN!!! All American taxpayers will with this 700 billion bailout that you do not know anything about...The media needs to ask you these questions because we need to know your viewpoint...Welcome to America...this is how the real world works....

October 3, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  16. Fritz

'oh, come on! Do we have to ....?' – Sounds like a kid who doesn't want to get out the swimming pool or eat her vegetables.

October 3, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  17. Fritz

'oh, come on! Do we have to ….?' – Sounds like a kid who doesn't want to get out of the swimming pool or eat her vegetables.

October 3, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  18. Jam One

Now we know this is the Palin – McCain ticket.

Please send her back to Michigan, and spend $10M to get the state, please.

October 3, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  19. Kris in Oregon

Annie Git Yer Gun seems to think she has won the election for Queen of the Universe.

She must think that Dickey is the best VP of all time. What she doesn't see is that they are going to lose Michgan, Penn, Ohio, Florida and then it is over.

She showed she can memorize and blurt out answers, even if they didn't match the question.

October 3, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  20. vince

todd palin aka shadow governor of alaska.

October 3, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  21. Jen, Gainesville

Palin does not have much intellectual curiosity and knowledge, but surely have a lot of ambition. She wants to be bigger than Cheney. Stop this empty suit from running around! What a shame to women as a whole!

October 3, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  22. Barbara Querrie

Is there cordination in the MCcain/Palin campaign? where was she when they planned to pull out of Michgan?Does that mean that they did not consult her ?Oh my God ,is that wht they want to do in the Oval Office-A president makes a decision and a vice present disagrees? Disasater-someone pleaese tell her that she is out of tourch even out of tourch with her own campaign.

October 3, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  23. SEXISM DEFINED: HILLARY CLINTON BLINKS WHILE SARAH SIMPLETON WINKS!

Well, well well. The Republican version of sexism appears to be when a male ask a question of Sarah Palin about her qualifications, and that is a sexist statement.

So, how do Republicans define those flirty little winks and smiles Sarah was dishing out during the debate? Dick Cheney did not wink at me. I KNOW Ferraro did not wink at me. I have not seen all of Hillary’s debates, but the ones I have seen, she has not winked at me.

So, I am only left to surmise that Sarah was using this “qualification” to encourage men to “rise to the occasion” so to speak, and vote for her!

October 3, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  24. Jamie

What's with the "Todd and I'? Is he on the ticket now? What's up with her lil shadow?

October 3, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  25. KCBob

Who ever said the Anti Christ has to be a man?

October 3, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |