October 4th, 2008

Palin disagrees with McCain's Michigan decision

Palin wants to keep trying in Michigan.
Palin wants to keep trying in Michigan.

(CNN) – The McCain campaign decided this week that the battleground state of Michigan may be out of reach for the Republican ticket this year - a move that's drawn criticism from one prominent dissenter: VP nominee Sarah Palin.

Earlier: McCain cedes Michigan to Obama

In an interview with Fox News Friday the Republican vice presidential candidate appeared to be disappointed with the decision and said she still wants to take a stab at winning the state that hasn't voted for a Republican presidential candidate in two decades.

She also said she made her disagreement known to top campaign officials:

"I fired a quick e-mail and said, 'oh, come on! Do we have to call it there?' she said. " Todd and I would [be] happy to get to Michigan and walk through those plants [with] car manufacturers.

"We'd be so happy to get to speak with the people there in Michigan, who are hurting because the economy is hurting," she added. "Whatever we can do and whatever Todd and I can do in realizing what their challenges in that state are, as we can relate to them and connect with them and promise them that we won't let them down in the administration."

Earlier: Palin calls Obama comment 'reckless,' criticizes Couric

McCain aides told CNN Thursday Michigan increasingly appeared a long shot the Arizona senator and the campaign had decided to divert its resources there to other key battleground states. The latest CNN poll of polls in Michigan shows Obama with an 8 point lead in the state where the nation's economic woes have hit hard.

Related: McCain dropped $2 million before pulling up Michigan stake

But Palin maintained Friday she and McCain still have a shot there.

"I want to get back to Michigan, and I want to try," she said.

Filed under: John McCain • Michigan • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. Dealt

This si amazing. Palin comes out on her feet and the press and the republicans are saying thins like "a tie is a win for Palin" or "she held her own". She didn't answer the questions, walked around the tricky ones, winked, gushed, waved and threw those folsky gotacha, ya and so on and people are considering her for VP, potebtially president? Good grief... commentators from Europe are just laughing at her, or saying that she's pathetic and it's unbelievable she's even been considered as VP and americans are enthusiastic just because she managed not to blow it on ONE debate she was trained for?!

t is just too scary to have Palin on the loose, potentially becoming the president of the United States.

October 3, 2008 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  2. Elizabeth

What's suddenly up with the "Todd & I" stuff?? Has she blown off her running mate & decided she & Todd will run the country? If I were McCain, I would never turn my back on this chick– I don't trust her one single whit.

October 3, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  3. Travis

Ok Sixpack Sarah.....what will be the next state you want

McWonder to drop? Alaska ya say.....shucks ....golly.....doggon.

October 3, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  4. Sito

This is like a family vacation for the Palins. Sarah's most excellent adventure!

October 3, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  5. Jason

... yeah, I'll bet she said that.

The fact that she didn't find out until the next day shows that the McCain campaign doesn't even take her seriously.

October 3, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  6. Charles Dragonette

This looks like another panicky McCain reaction that does nothing to make him seem presidential. When you're not as stable as Sarah....???

October 3, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  7. Jesus Praising & Freedom Loving Patriot

Make you wonder, hmmm; is this as scripted and contrived as her debate "performance"?

October 3, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  8. Truthhurts

She made it pretty clear in her few coherent statement of the debate that she thinks this is her election. Can John get his pitbull back on the leash?

October 3, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  9. LT

He Can't raise the money to keep going after Michigan....and there's no way he will let Palin loose on her own. I smell a spring fresh white towel being thrown in.

October 3, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  10. Obama/Biden 08!

Okay, she was better prepped and didn't disgrace herself at the VP debate, but I fail to see how this entitles her to start dictating how and where Mccain should spend his campaign funds. I don't think Mcain is going to be too happy with her second guessing him and his campaign wizards. Further more when did Todd become a candidate for "SHADOW VICE PRESIDENT"???? Is there such a position??

"It is better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and prove you are a fool."

Vote smart, vote Obama/Biden 08!

October 3, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  11. Non-biased

The ONLY way to be non-biased is to bounce between a couple of stations...watching any one station for two minutes – you will know where they stand. There will honestly be people that will vote for McCain BECAUSE of Pailin. Face it – she is our next Diana...we left England so long ago, to leave the life of kings and queens, but we've never stopped the idolization. She is smart, beautiful and bringing about such powerful feelings from "feminists" you are not who you think you are – she is what you have been fighting for. When you see a powerful woman who the men like too – do not find this as a threat – find hope in the future of women in politics. I just don't get why the whole abortion thing is the be all end all – the issue is Self Actualization and you are no feminist and not what you say you stand for – if you do not stand up for any and everyone that is reaching their own self actualization. You are also not a true American – this is not about YOU it is about US. A side note – When freedom is not at the top of your list – it is due to being spoiled – who spoiled you – people that fought for you like McCain.

October 3, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  12. Amy, Kazoo

As a resident of MI, I support Obama and Biden 100%, I believe they are best fit for the jobs, I think they'll turn this nation in a positive direction. That said, I think McCain is a fool to pull out of a state that is so representative of the harsh times of our nation right now. Palin is actually right on this. She makes my skin crawl, but she's right. You can't discount ANY state right now.

October 3, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  13. Rose from Omaha

Praise be to God!
    The American people get it!
    NO mcCain, No Palin!
    No way No How

OBAMA / BIDEN 08

October 3, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  14. CJ/PA

If I were McCain, I think I'd take some of that cash I was going to spend campaigning in Michigan and hire myself a full-time food taster!! Watch your back, Senator - Sarah and Todd are breathing down your neck!! Wink, wink ~

October 3, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  15. Jack

Yeah Sarah and Todd would love an opportunity to do a no reporter deception show for the workers of America.

Let's see it's about -lies, lies, lies, lies, etc! So what's new with Sarah?

October 3, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  16. irony

she doesn't have a clue.

October 3, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  17. Francie - SC

Nothing ventured – nothing gained!

October 3, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  18. A new boss for John?

HEH HEH HEH .... I wonder how John boy likes that !! First it was the "Palin/McCain" and he thought that was a joke I bet... Then she wants to expand the VP duties over the house and senate, now she is telling the McBush boys how to run their campaign... HAHAHAHA. . Maybe they don't know what they have hold of. But I'll bet Ms Sarah shows them sooner or later...

October 3, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  19. Former Republican in Texas

And what's the deal with the "Todd & I" stuff?? Has she blown off her running mate & decided she & Todd will run the country?
    This is a scary gal– same cloth as Dick Cheney.

October 3, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  20. Larry Morrison

I live in Michigan. Tell her to go home! Is this the best the Republican party can do for a VP pick or maybe she's the only one that would accept the job!

October 3, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  21. Pensacola Veteran

Since Palin, Todd and the crew can't go to Michigan, Pensacola has to suffer with Mrs Six pack Annie. Wonder will she be packing her pistol and all those kids. That why McCain's running out of money, feeding, housing, dressing and flying the Palins around.

October 3, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  22. PCS / North Carolina

Bumper stickers in Alaska says" We are the coldest state, but we have the hottest Governor". However, this is an election , not a beauty contest. With all due respect, all the female world leaders (India, Pakistan, Sri lanka, Phillipines)had one thing in common; Beauty / charisma. However, all of them were disastrous leaders, corruptions were rampant (Ex: Tooper gate) which led to rollercoaster economies. Avoiding questions, not giving specific answers during the debate, and Giving a "wink" ,a CUTE smile may have connected her with Americans. But it is a recipe for DISASTER . Wait until she get's elected and fix our economy. Go figure. WE will get what we deserve.

October 3, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  23. Gj in NJ

..Todd and I? Todd and I? Todd and I...........

October 3, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  24. Andy

I'm still shocked that nearly half of this country is so stupid that they think Barack Obama will make a good president.

October 3, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  25. jo

Ms. palin would you please go back and watch your debat. You didn't answer a single question. You just spit your talking points that they fad you..

October 3, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |