October 4th, 2008

Palin disagrees with McCain's Michigan decision

Palin wants to keep trying in Michigan.
Palin wants to keep trying in Michigan.

(CNN) – The McCain campaign decided this week that the battleground state of Michigan may be out of reach for the Republican ticket this year - a move that's drawn criticism from one prominent dissenter: VP nominee Sarah Palin.

Earlier: McCain cedes Michigan to Obama

In an interview with Fox News Friday the Republican vice presidential candidate appeared to be disappointed with the decision and said she still wants to take a stab at winning the state that hasn't voted for a Republican presidential candidate in two decades.

She also said she made her disagreement known to top campaign officials:

"I fired a quick e-mail and said, 'oh, come on! Do we have to call it there?' she said. " Todd and I would [be] happy to get to Michigan and walk through those plants [with] car manufacturers.

"We'd be so happy to get to speak with the people there in Michigan, who are hurting because the economy is hurting," she added. "Whatever we can do and whatever Todd and I can do in realizing what their challenges in that state are, as we can relate to them and connect with them and promise them that we won't let them down in the administration."

Earlier: Palin calls Obama comment 'reckless,' criticizes Couric

McCain aides told CNN Thursday Michigan increasingly appeared a long shot the Arizona senator and the campaign had decided to divert its resources there to other key battleground states. The latest CNN poll of polls in Michigan shows Obama with an 8 point lead in the state where the nation's economic woes have hit hard.

Related: McCain dropped $2 million before pulling up Michigan stake

But Palin maintained Friday she and McCain still have a shot there.

"I want to get back to Michigan, and I want to try," she said.

Filed under: John McCain • Michigan • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. easy rider - gun toting in Tennessee - OBAMA

Obviously she is a pawn in the McCain't camp. I admire her spunk but she is NOT ready to lead, nor is McCain't.

October 3, 2008 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  2. JS

What is up with the "TODD and I" comment from Palin. This is not a joint VP ticket. It is not Todd and Sara Palin ticket for VP !!! In Alaska it has been reported that Todd Palin has been allowed by the governor of Alaska to sit-in meetings he is clearly not suppose to be attending –

Sorry Todd – sidelines please!! You dont hear McCain saying Cindy and I will campaign and Cindy and I will make it happen

Ahhh, McCain – I wish you did not pick Sara Palin. I would have voted for you :(

October 3, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  3. former gop

I don't think I've ever hated George W. as much as I hate Sara Palin. This woman has an ego the size of Jupiter.

October 3, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  4. Concerned Voter

I cannot believe the arrogance of this VP Sarah Palin.

And it is concern to me that many brainwashed wishy washy Christians are for her. Well let me just say that if we have Palin it will be Bush-like once again many times over.

Do you wishy washy Christians want another Bush like scenario? Another Bush like character will sell all our souls to Baal.

October 3, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  5. Sarah in not qualified

Nothing this lady says should be given any credence. McCain did not put his country first by choosing Sarah.

October 3, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  6. Tupac

According to Palin: "Some of his [Obama's] comments that he has made about the war…I think, in my world, disqualifies someone from consideration as the next commander-in-chief,"

Comments don't kill people judgment of sending troops into fighting a wrong war does.

FYI in our world down here the American people disqualify you from consideration of being the next commander-in-chief by a thing we call voting.

October 3, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  7. Abe

Miss Winky Winky is a joke. Go back to Alaska and see Russia from your house.

October 3, 2008 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  8. Grant in Canada

Please, my neighbours, be serious.

This woman has a "journalism" degree (albeit a tortuous route to that degree) and she can not construct a complete English sentence.

Good luck with that.......

October 3, 2008 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  9. Mickey

How arrogant – like SHE'S going to convince Michigan to go Republican when they haven't in 20 years?!

October 3, 2008 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  10. Jason in SDY

I am very offended by this Todd suddenly being involved. So even people who are not elected officials get to run things? This is how dictatorships are formed!

October 3, 2008 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  11. paul s

Palin is a woman of unfettered ambition, so stupid and limited that her ignorance of things beyond her is considered a virtue. She blames everyone else for her deficiencies. Her behaviour during the debate appeals to the basest instincts of the voters, rather than honestly inform the electorate her positions, which unfortunately after her prior interviews, showed nothing but an empty suite.

October 3, 2008 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  12. Manuel

Sarah Palin exceeded expectations, she's a hit again, the hockey mom from the Republican Convention is back! She went toe to toe with the more Washington D.C. experienced and worldly Joe Biden, held her own while smiling and winking her way into our homes if not our hearts!

So by all measures set out by the Republican analysts, commentators, McCain/Palin supporters et al, Sara is ready to face the nation if not the world on her own. Turn her loose on the campaign trail, on all the media, appear on all of the Sunday morning political shows etc! You're ready Sarah! Last nights performance proves it! This is a "shout out to 'ya!" Let's all play "stump the candidate!"

October 3, 2008 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  13. Michael

mccain is toast already.

October 3, 2008 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  14. rsz

Is it me or is Palin inaccurately using the English language?___________________________________________________

" fired a quick e-mail and said, 'oh, come on! Do we have to call it there?' she said. " Todd and I would [be] happy to get to Michigan and walk through those plants [with] car manufacturers.

____________________________________________________

Same dialect in her interview this morning with Fox News.

October 3, 2008 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  15. weasel

Just like one of those soccer games, Michigan is called. Game over.

October 3, 2008 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  16. Naturesmom

It surprises me greatly that NO ONE picked up on Biden's statement of cutting (or forgiving) part of mortgage principal to those people who were unwise and overspent on the houses. This encourages waste, destroys the economy, and basically robs the prudent consumers who worked hard paying their mortgages and taxes.
    In addition it is an outrageous statement that shows where Biden's and Obama's priorities are: to buy their votes despite a suffering economy and shows lack of respect for the wise consumers struggling to maintain their good credit name. IT IS SHAMEFUL

October 3, 2008 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  17. Ilona from Alberta

As an outsider I am horrrified that Palin has been selected as the brightest and best leader for the future of America and IF McCain is elected has a chance of being a President. I know I shouldn't be too surprised after Bush was elected twice but....come on.

October 3, 2008 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  18. Donna

This is extremely important. Today, lawyers from a far right wing religious group filed an emergency appeal of the dismissal of the case trying to block the investigation into Palin's misconduct in office. They do not want the results of the investigation made public until after the election. There is without question something to hide here.

October 3, 2008 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  19. Edith Ann

Todd? What education level is Mr. Palin anyway? He will be her biggest advisor when John croaks from old age and before. OMG She is already expecting McCain to change his mind when she wants. What will she bring him down for if he won't croak fast enough? Is your closet clean John?
    He should never have chosen someone he met for 15 minutes as VP. He said fudge it and threw the dice, now, it will come back to bite him. We deserved a more thoughtful choice from you, John, you need Gamblers Anonymous.
    I can see our kids having unprotected sex, walking around with six packs of beer and racing anything with a motor saying "grab six-pack Louie and lets go kill something"!
    God help us all!

October 3, 2008 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  20. max (NY)

Please Palin don't speak, the more you speak , the more damage you cause. Nobody is interested in whatever you have to say. So, please, do yourself a favor, "SHUT UP".
    PS: The sound of your voice is irritant. Right after you spoke on TV the other day, both my monitor and TV screens crack. I can't wait for this election to be over, so that I can go back to what life used to be before your existence was brought to people knowledge.

October 3, 2008 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  21. Ellie

Todd is not running for office and is not an Alaska state employee but he has been known to sit in on some of Sarah's official meetings.

October 3, 2008 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  22. Keith

It is very generous of Ms Palin and her "first dood" Todd, to volunteer their services when they have such pressing obligations in Alaska, answering to a subpoena...well, at least they WOULD answer the subpoena, if they weren't so busy campaigning. Uh, yeah...

October 3, 2008 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  23. norma

Ms. Palin need to get her facts straight--for someone who claims she reads everything, she has demonstrated a very poor knowledge of info that someone who aspires to be a VP should know. Is Ms. Palin and her husband a team of VPs in waiting? Her pronouncements seem to be saying that. Basically, she's not ready--being a Governor does not a automatically make you VP material.

Norma

October 3, 2008 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  24. Betty

Frankly I don't care what she says. She said what she meant, if McCain wins Mr. 6 Pack Todd will be there running our beloved country with her. The bottom line is Palin did not answer most of the questions, I wasn't amused. And Republicans – just because she showed up and smiled doesn't mean she did great.

Just because she was drilled on queue cards doesn't replace the fact that America at one time took pride in Education and knowledge, what a blow to our core beliefs. Just to win the Right Wing over?

The Republican Party can lie all day and all night all the way until November 4th, it was an insulting experience. Several people I spoke with changed the station and watched reruns.

Are we dumbing down in America? Are we willing to accept this type of nonsense? The lady doesn't have enough intellectual curosity to even know things about the Constitution that many 6 graders learn in school. McCain did not think his choice through. If this is the best we can do, we are in trouble. Obama/Biden is the team!

October 3, 2008 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  25. Loyal Repulican for 49 years voting for OBAMA

Palin is making this country a joke to the rest the world. I am actually embarrased to be a woman and a Repulican with her on the ticket. Please help all women and the Repulbican party have some dignity by voting for Obama/Biden!!!!!

October 3, 2008 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |