October 4th, 2008

Palin disagrees with McCain's Michigan decision

Palin wants to keep trying in Michigan.
Palin wants to keep trying in Michigan.

(CNN) – The McCain campaign decided this week that the battleground state of Michigan may be out of reach for the Republican ticket this year - a move that's drawn criticism from one prominent dissenter: VP nominee Sarah Palin.

Earlier: McCain cedes Michigan to Obama

In an interview with Fox News Friday the Republican vice presidential candidate appeared to be disappointed with the decision and said she still wants to take a stab at winning the state that hasn't voted for a Republican presidential candidate in two decades.

She also said she made her disagreement known to top campaign officials:

"I fired a quick e-mail and said, 'oh, come on! Do we have to call it there?' she said. " Todd and I would [be] happy to get to Michigan and walk through those plants [with] car manufacturers.

"We'd be so happy to get to speak with the people there in Michigan, who are hurting because the economy is hurting," she added. "Whatever we can do and whatever Todd and I can do in realizing what their challenges in that state are, as we can relate to them and connect with them and promise them that we won't let them down in the administration."

Earlier: Palin calls Obama comment 'reckless,' criticizes Couric

McCain aides told CNN Thursday Michigan increasingly appeared a long shot the Arizona senator and the campaign had decided to divert its resources there to other key battleground states. The latest CNN poll of polls in Michigan shows Obama with an 8 point lead in the state where the nation's economic woes have hit hard.

Related: McCain dropped $2 million before pulling up Michigan stake

But Palin maintained Friday she and McCain still have a shot there.

"I want to get back to Michigan, and I want to try," she said.

Filed under: John McCain • Michigan • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. mohmed

bye bye mcCain/Palin

October 3, 2008 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  2. jim

palin is so ignorant......obama has to win this or we are in trouble...

October 3, 2008 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  3. Missy in Kentucky

Governor Palin: It's not "Can I call you Joe?" The correct grammar is "May I call you Joe?" Did anybody else catch that grammatical error. Geez, this woman has a lot to learn. She sure has some confidence thinking just her prescence can win Michigan. Wow!

October 3, 2008 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  4. Ellie

Todd is not running for any office and is not an Alaska state employee but has been known to sit in on some of Sarah's official meetings. Does he also tell her what to do?

October 3, 2008 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  5. MrPragmatic

Sarah, Sarah, Sarah. If I give you a dollar will you promise me that you'll spend it wisely and go buy a clue?

October 3, 2008 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  6. Janet - Missouri

Sarah Palin wants us to think she's tenacious. I think she should work on her grammar skills and get rid of the phoney Gidget act.

October 3, 2008 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  7. GMR

I agree 100% with all of the above. Palin is a disgrace to women with her annoying and affected voice, her obnoxious winking and condescending tone as well as her over rehearsed bogus responses that rarely focused on the question. Palin's performance at the debate was contrived, disingenuine and full of lies, the same way she would be in office. The only choice is OBAMA/BIDEN.

October 3, 2008 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  8. Sharon - NC

There is something seriously, mentally wrong with Sarah Palin.

October 3, 2008 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  9. dan

We, me and Todd and I, I and Todd is getting everywhere.

A rude reminder that we, me and Todd have been running Alaska to the disapproval of some state officials and Todd was getting copies of official e-mails and sitting in official meetings uninvited.

No way, No McCain, No Palin, No Todd

October 3, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  10. Ed

McCain control your piggy please.

October 3, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  11. Michael O'Brien

Sometimes, I think that Sarah Palin lives in a 'fastasy world'. I think Senator John McCain knows what he is doing concerning the State of Michigan. He's been in 'politics' longer than Sarah Palin. When 'reality' sets in, today, tomorrow or a week from now.., with Thursday nights 'debate' and previous 'interviews'.., Sarah Palin is "not" ready to be Vice-President or President. Sarah Palin is way over her head and 'out of her league'. Senator Joe Biden, Charles Gibson and Katie Couric proved that. The best thing for the Democratic Party is Sarah Palin.

October 3, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  12. Minority for Obama

Unlike CNN/Fox News

the only trusthworthy show that talks the truth: MSNBC:
    Keith Olberman and Rachel Maddow talk to

October 3, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  13. Jeffrey

Let's hope independent viewers in other battleground states see this and realize what a quitter McCain is. There's a whole state he's admitted he doesn't care about enough to campaign for it, what makes you think he cares about you? If you still believe he does, you deserve everything you get.

October 3, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  14. Ed

Here comes Todd TO SAVE THE DAY!!!

October 3, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  15. Ben from Longview, WA

Definitin of maverick according to Websters dictionary-

Main Entry: 1mav·er·ick
    Pronunciation: \ˈmav-rik, ˈma-və-\
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Samuel A. Maverick †1870 American pioneer who did not brand his calves
    Date: 1867
    1: an unbranded range animal 2: an independent individual who does not go along with a group or party

With that said, you can't have a team of mavericks as it is an indepedant individual. So why does he always supposedly go against his own party? Is it because they are always wrong? If he was a true maverick he would be a Democrat. One could probably also say McCain is also the first definition.

October 3, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  16. Al from Atlanta

I think McCain is finally onto something. Maybe he should do us all a favor and drop out of the other 49 states while he is at it. Then Sarah and Todd could spend whats left of the campaign funds on English lessons, doncha know ...

October 3, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  17. Democratic in NC

Will someone please send this arrogant, unintelligent Barbie doll back to the frozen Tundra. She is an insult to the American people. She thinks she is running for the PTA. Anyone who votes for her has to be insane. She barely has a college degree, and her debate skills are that of a fifth grader. Oh, now I get it. Maybe she's auditioning for "Are you smarter than a fifth grader" My bet she won't make it past round three.

October 3, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  18. Trysh, Los Angeles

Do these people talk to each other? I know they are mavericks and all, but gosh golly gee willikerz....shouldn't they be somewhere near the same gosh golly page?

October 3, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  19. Chut Pata

So Sarah is a "Maverick" to a "Maverick". We know two negatives makes one positive. So if McCain disagrees with Bush, and Sarah disagrees with McCain, then it means Sarah agrees with Bush. I always thought Sarah was "Bush with a lipstick".

October 3, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  20. Brandon

I think they should just concede altogether. Truly, we have a percentage of stupid people in this country, but I don't think it's the majority, which is why I think Obama will win this election. By the way, I'm a Republican.

October 3, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  21. Charles

She's a self serving polititian, who's in it for Sara Palin. If you don't think so you need to look no further than how they keep that special needs baby up so late at night parading him around; especially with all the crowd noise, I don't think it's terrible.

October 3, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  22. Abe

MISS WINKY WINKY WANTS TO TAKE A STAB AT AMERICANS IN MICHIGAN.

October 3, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  23. Skoutt

If she's going to be "wining" the state; will she perhaps dine them as well?

October 3, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  24. jOE kan

It's over with.Don't bother to say goodbye.Sarah is even colder than Alaska.
    The distance between Alaska and real America is the same distance between Sarah and what is going on in America.She is too far from reality.
    -Joe (American in Canada)

October 3, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  25. Ridgeway

All pro Obama comments. Typical of the socialist CNN. Pro take from the working people and give to the Obamanite bums. I have yet to see a post from an Obama supporter that has any substance or depth. If you are all as stupid as you seem to be this Country is in big trouble.
    I don't think there will ever be an Obama supporter elected president of the MENSA Society.
    All of the over weight Liberal women and unemployed men can't stand slim attractive women or successful men. You're out there and you know who you are.

October 3, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |