October 4th, 2008

Palin disagrees with McCain's Michigan decision

Palin wants to keep trying in Michigan.
Palin wants to keep trying in Michigan.

(CNN) – The McCain campaign decided this week that the battleground state of Michigan may be out of reach for the Republican ticket this year - a move that's drawn criticism from one prominent dissenter: VP nominee Sarah Palin.

Earlier: McCain cedes Michigan to Obama

In an interview with Fox News Friday the Republican vice presidential candidate appeared to be disappointed with the decision and said she still wants to take a stab at winning the state that hasn't voted for a Republican presidential candidate in two decades.

She also said she made her disagreement known to top campaign officials:

"I fired a quick e-mail and said, 'oh, come on! Do we have to call it there?' she said. " Todd and I would [be] happy to get to Michigan and walk through those plants [with] car manufacturers.

"We'd be so happy to get to speak with the people there in Michigan, who are hurting because the economy is hurting," she added. "Whatever we can do and whatever Todd and I can do in realizing what their challenges in that state are, as we can relate to them and connect with them and promise them that we won't let them down in the administration."

Earlier: Palin calls Obama comment 'reckless,' criticizes Couric

McCain aides told CNN Thursday Michigan increasingly appeared a long shot the Arizona senator and the campaign had decided to divert its resources there to other key battleground states. The latest CNN poll of polls in Michigan shows Obama with an 8 point lead in the state where the nation's economic woes have hit hard.

Related: McCain dropped $2 million before pulling up Michigan stake

But Palin maintained Friday she and McCain still have a shot there.

"I want to get back to Michigan, and I want to try," she said.

Filed under: John McCain • Michigan • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. Charles

She's a self serving polititian, who's in it for Sara Palin. If you don't think so you need to look no further than how they keep that special needs baby up so late at night parading him around; especially with all the crowd noise, I think it's terrible.

October 3, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  2. Ms. G, Washington

And she needs to go!!!! Get over it, pack your stuff and get to steppin! Palin shouldn't talk back to the man who's pimpin her. They're both not qualified to lead this country!!!

Obama/Biden '08

October 3, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  3. Lynda Ridgefield, CT.

She's the poster child for 'NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND"

THAT'S WHAT HAPPENS WHEN IT DOES FAIL....we need to get back on track with that one, before another Sarah Palin is born!!

October 3, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  4. Betsy

Palin's comment regarding more constitutional power for the vice-pres. should make us very scared. Didn't Cheney try that number on us? I have never seen a v.p. candidate give a shout out on national t.v.

October 3, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  5. k

smells like politik stunt spirit.

October 3, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  6. Charles

She's a self serving politician, who's in it for Sara Palin. If you don't think so you need to look no further than how they keep that special needs baby up so late at night parading him around; especially with all the crowd noise, I think it's terrible.

October 3, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  7. kent

I find TIna Fey's 'Sarah' more authentic.

October 3, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  8. UniversityChick

wow

October 3, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  9. RyanM

That's right Lt . Gov. Todd.

How could we forget about him – he'll need a job now won't he.

I wonder if Sarah will appointment him to fill Steven's seat?

Maybe that's what she means by extending the executive branch into the legislative branch.

It must have been one of Cheney's people who scripted that one for her last night.

October 3, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  10. Chaka

They pulled out of Michigan without consulting the hockey mom? How insulting and sexist! Sarah, you should join the Obama/Biden team, there will be a place for you as a Parrot-In-Chief...

October 3, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  11. kent

I find Tina Fey's 'Sarah' much more authentic.

October 3, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  12. Illinois Blue Dog

Palin set the bar so low with that Katie Couric interview that all she had to do last night was say a couple words and not drool on herself. Well, I didn't see any signs of saliva, so I guess it was mission accomplished for the McCain campaign.

October 3, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  13. Mary

Cary from Michigan,

If she manages to find her way there, could you keep her please?

DUH, the new official language of the republican party

October 3, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  14. Adrienne

It's not her money. She can burn through Mccain's and get her name known for 2012. We all know what she is thinking.

October 3, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  15. Independent

She now knows how to run a campaign. She is a campaigning political genius. Memorize a few phrases for the debate and now she is a electoral map wizard! Even when I read things she has said, I can hear that nasal blocked voice in the back of my mind. Nov 5th can't get here soon enough. Win, lose or draw, I need to get this woman out of my life.

October 3, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  16. AA

Gross.

Let her go please. Downtown Detroit. They would greet her and Toad like liberators.

Peace.

October 3, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  17. dee

You guys are sad. Most of you have no idea how bad the economy is in here in Michigan. Sure if things go badly for Wall Street there will be National recession, but what is under the recession we're already under here? We can't take anymore here and for quite some time the race was near tied. That is the reason that they should not give up Michigan.
    As for the Todd thing, grow up. Michelle is running all over the place without Barack and no one is trashing her.

October 3, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  18. Kathy Dishman

Don't give up on Michigan. Michigan has had a democratic governer for six years and Michigan needs all the help they can get. Please don't give up on Michigan I'm not.

October 3, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  19. Hispanic Voter

Palin is out of her league...she does not know anything about what is going on in America...is she really American???? I read online and see the news on a daily basis to know what is going on...I am an American who pays taxes...She does not get it all...she does not get the Average American either...doesn't she know that a campaign costs money..that is why I just donated to Obama's campaign so he can use the money....She is a stupid lady that does not know anything...I went to COLLEGE and I have more sense than her...I am insulted that she calls people who went to COLLEGE and have a higher degree than herself to be elitist ...she needs to see there is more to America than Alaska..we are after all the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA....NOT THE UNITED STATES OF ALASKA FOR AVERAGE PEOPLE!!!

October 3, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  20. Bill-Sydney

my country (Australia) is a strong ally and friend of the United States and people here are following your elections with interest. Politics American style with all its bells and whistles is a lot more interesting than the somewhat bland affairs that we have here. I'm sure that Sarah Palin is a very nice person but if I were an American voter her style would turn me off . It seems as if she doesn't really have a grasp on just how serious the job of vice president is . From an allies point of view all this flip "aw shucks gee whiz" business is more than a little disconcerting.

October 3, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  21. Jeff an Independent

Evidence that McCain does not consult his VP, as he will not if elected. The fortunate thing here: this is proof that if elected – he'll send her back to Wasilla and out of his hair.

October 3, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  22. mary

That goes to show you that McCain is out of touch. Sarah Palin, is out of touch if she thinks Todd is going to get a free ride to the White House, he already is getting a free ride to the governors' mansion. He already is living off of Palin. Sarah Palin better take her family back to Alaska, while she still has her job as governor. Somehow, there is something shady in them thar woods

October 3, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  23. Darryl

I think Palin should go and campaign with former President Bill Clinton.. I bet she will come out on top.......

Palin, she does not have a clue she just hot air like Senator John McCain..

October 3, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  24. bill b. from Stratford,Ct

BYE BYE liers, you won't be miss. That ticket Mcsame/Palin is a JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 3, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  25. Rally

I love it.. Nobody bashes someone when they know they dont have a chance.. the sheer bashing of Sarah shows how popular she still is, and how real the McCain/Palin ticket sounds like a winner as each day goes by. Obama is a thin skinned politician in a 2 dolla suit that camoflages himself very well. He flip flops on answers like a 2 dollar chinese umbrella on a mildly windy Chicago day. Blow over Obama and let the real people show you how its done.

October 3, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |