October 4th, 2008

Palin disagrees with McCain's Michigan decision

Palin wants to keep trying in Michigan.
Palin wants to keep trying in Michigan.

(CNN) – The McCain campaign decided this week that the battleground state of Michigan may be out of reach for the Republican ticket this year - a move that's drawn criticism from one prominent dissenter: VP nominee Sarah Palin.

Earlier: McCain cedes Michigan to Obama

In an interview with Fox News Friday the Republican vice presidential candidate appeared to be disappointed with the decision and said she still wants to take a stab at winning the state that hasn't voted for a Republican presidential candidate in two decades.

She also said she made her disagreement known to top campaign officials:

"I fired a quick e-mail and said, 'oh, come on! Do we have to call it there?' she said. " Todd and I would [be] happy to get to Michigan and walk through those plants [with] car manufacturers.

"We'd be so happy to get to speak with the people there in Michigan, who are hurting because the economy is hurting," she added. "Whatever we can do and whatever Todd and I can do in realizing what their challenges in that state are, as we can relate to them and connect with them and promise them that we won't let them down in the administration."

Earlier: Palin calls Obama comment 'reckless,' criticizes Couric

McCain aides told CNN Thursday Michigan increasingly appeared a long shot the Arizona senator and the campaign had decided to divert its resources there to other key battleground states. The latest CNN poll of polls in Michigan shows Obama with an 8 point lead in the state where the nation's economic woes have hit hard.

Related: McCain dropped $2 million before pulling up Michigan stake

But Palin maintained Friday she and McCain still have a shot there.

"I want to get back to Michigan, and I want to try," she said.

Filed under: John McCain • Michigan • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. Ethan

A composite of all available polling data for Michigan shows Obama carrying the state 48.9% to McCain's 43.8%. Unemployment is very high in Michigan and Obama is getting strong traction on Economic issues.

If Palin wants to campaign there, I say let her waste McCain's resources. Of course, unless she can actually speak to some real economic policy, and not just rehash the stump speach, I think any such effort would probably just accelerate McCain's falling numbers in that state.

October 3, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  2. Fani from NJ

I'm sorry but why Todd ? He's not even on the ticket.
    Whats this ? A farmers market ?

Friendly adivse to McCain: Be afraid of Palin. Be very afraid. She's coming for your job and will run over you and your show.
    ( hint: more VP power at the debates )

October 3, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  3. afo

Oct 3 2008 5:14 PM

My take on the VP Debate.

Hopefully you all watched the long awaited debate between VP hopefuls Joe Biden and Sarah Palin last night. With all its hype and fan fair, I still came away with the same opinions of Sarah Palin I’ve had prior to the debate. She is not ready to be Vice President! As I watched, I analyzed her demeanor. She stood there with this empty confidence. I dissected her responses to the questions and I came realized that she has no idea what she’s talking about. She struggled with distinguishing McCain’s policies from Bush’s policies. She did the Ali shuffle around questions concerned exit strategies out of Iraq. I think this is pretty ironic considering the fact that she’s the number cheerleader for the ‘Straight Talk Express.’ In many moments it seemed like she had McCain’s hand up her back moving her mouth like a puppet and telling her what to say. This is the person that would be at the helm of the presidency if John McCain’s life expiration date comes during his first term.

October 3, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  4. renu

Todd& I.???????????..who is he to talk to them? is an average joe..not with when earns 100k a year,
    did we ask for him?we didnt ask for you ,but you were thrown in our face
    .ma'am you & your hubby might be better looking after your children watching an alaskan sunset!(believe me,they need to be taken care of..they dont mistakes on their own)

October 3, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  5. sall

Good Judgement McCain

October 3, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  6. J - East Windsor, CT

She's so hungry for the spotlight.

October 3, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  7. WyomingForObama

Wow!
    "Republican vice presidential candidate appeared to be disappointed with the decision and said she still wants to take a stab at wining the state that hasn't voted for a Republican presidential candidate in two decades."

Good idea Sarah! Waste some ore of your contributors money! Oh wait, they're all lobbyist millionaires so no harm done! Go Sarah!

October 3, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  8. SoniaGA

You know in response to all the comments on other threads about Palin being a Governer and a Mayor and having experience...Remember this.....Just because she holds the title of a job, dosen't make her qualified to HAVE that job.........Need I say George Bush President of the United States!

October 3, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  9. judy mitchell

Maybe she and Todd can just tell John and Cindy to step aside.

October 3, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  10. Bridget

get lost palin !!!!!

October 3, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  11. Sean

Coming from a lady who just last night declared that she agrees with Cheney's theories of expanding Vice Presidential power, who said that the ticket she's on would make absolutely no adjustments to their policy proposals in the face of our current economic crisis, and who, rather than answer the questions she was asked, just talked about whatever she had been coached on, I wouldn't worry too much about what she thinks.

Please just keep the White House out of her reach. The overwhelming majority of Americans believe Bush is doing a bad job, and Palin is clearly far worse than Bush.

October 3, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  12. Obama-Junkie, IL

Oh Palin, spoken like someone who has only been seriously concerned about winning the election in the past 5 weeks! Right?

McCain would be tied or slightly ahead if he had Mitt Romney as his VEEP in Michigan. In the spirit of Sarah Palin:

I BETCHA MCCAIN WISHED HE WOULDA PICK ROMNEY, RIGHTTA BOUT NOW!

October 3, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  13. Ivy

Is Palin finally waking up? Is she seeing what McCain REALLY wants her for, to stand pretty and be quiet? If she wasn't so corrupt, I would almost feel pity for her. I mean, this HUGE carrot was dangled in front of her– like she's going to say NO to VP? But it is SO clear she is out of her league.

As for her debate last night...I have to say one thing. Palin's been put through the media grinder for weeks, and yet she showed amazing grace and poise. She was nervous and had NO idea what she was talking about, but she gave a good show and the camera LOVES her.

Now she can go away.

October 3, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  14. Cindy for NC

Give me a break. Because she THINKS she did well at a weak debate, she thinks she can bring in a whole state. YEAH... RIGHT...Like she's got it. SHE IS THE PROBABLY THE REASON he is even doing worse.

GLAD HE PICKED HER, even though whoever he picked, BO would beat them anyway. She is good comedy though. Can't wait for SNL this weeken.

October 3, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  15. erica - greensboro, nc

why is it always todd and sarah, no one includes their spouse like that.

it's a nice gesture but something doesn't seem right.

October 3, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  16. carla f.

Why are you questioning Todd going? Haven't you seen Michelle O. with Barack. No one wonders who is minding their children and she is with him. Double standard............you make me sick. I seem to remember Hillary Cinton stumping everywhere with Bill and they also had a young child, did anyone question them, no.

October 3, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  17. Anonymous

The economy isn't hurting in Michigan due to what is currently going on. The ecconomy is hurting there because they haven't ellected a republican governor in a hundred years.

October 3, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  18. Sheila fr CT

She sure gain confidence from last night's debate... too much confidence i say... thinking she could make a big difference by campaigning (with Todd?) in Michigan... careful there...how about facing the media and answering their questions instead of campaigning...let's see how you handle it without a script.

October 3, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  19. Laura

Since when is Todd running for vice president. Geez she really bugs me.

I say let's have 2 presidents. One for red states and one for blue states and let's see who comes up ahead.

Ex-McCain supporter. I'm sorry America for ever supporting this man. Can I get my money back?

October 3, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  20. Proud to be American

Wow McSane knows how to pick them Hun? I thought McBush and Bindy was on top of his camp – but now appears it Baracuda and Toddy that is running his camp... no worries McCain and Palin is camp of liars and cheats.... with no family values. Truly the lies on top of lies is just old..... give it up! give up all states as America is looking for Change!

Obama and Biden 2008

October 3, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  21. Andrew

QUIT BABY QUIT.

October 3, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  22. Greed is not good

She has absolutely no clue. Just a GOP puppet plant for propaganda purposes with no real knowledge of the issues. I cringe to think she could be a heartbeat away from actually being the President.

October 3, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  23. judy mitchell

Why doesn't Sarah and Todd just tell John and Cindy to step aside.

October 3, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  24. Heather

Oh, now gosh John, what do ya wanna go and do that for? I am sure Todd and I can go to Michigan and be mavericks there and dog gonnit,we willtake that ole maverick from the senate and out em in the white house.......oh please, somebody wake me up from this nightmare.

October 3, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  25. Sean

Is Palin going to say" 'I can see us winning in Michigan from Washington, even if we don't go there!" ?

October 3, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |