October 4th, 2008

Palin disagrees with McCain's Michigan decision

Palin wants to keep trying in Michigan.
Palin wants to keep trying in Michigan.

(CNN) – The McCain campaign decided this week that the battleground state of Michigan may be out of reach for the Republican ticket this year - a move that's drawn criticism from one prominent dissenter: VP nominee Sarah Palin.

Earlier: McCain cedes Michigan to Obama

In an interview with Fox News Friday the Republican vice presidential candidate appeared to be disappointed with the decision and said she still wants to take a stab at winning the state that hasn't voted for a Republican presidential candidate in two decades.

She also said she made her disagreement known to top campaign officials:

"I fired a quick e-mail and said, 'oh, come on! Do we have to call it there?' she said. " Todd and I would [be] happy to get to Michigan and walk through those plants [with] car manufacturers.

"We'd be so happy to get to speak with the people there in Michigan, who are hurting because the economy is hurting," she added. "Whatever we can do and whatever Todd and I can do in realizing what their challenges in that state are, as we can relate to them and connect with them and promise them that we won't let them down in the administration."

Earlier: Palin calls Obama comment 'reckless,' criticizes Couric

McCain aides told CNN Thursday Michigan increasingly appeared a long shot the Arizona senator and the campaign had decided to divert its resources there to other key battleground states. The latest CNN poll of polls in Michigan shows Obama with an 8 point lead in the state where the nation's economic woes have hit hard.

Related: McCain dropped $2 million before pulling up Michigan stake

But Palin maintained Friday she and McCain still have a shot there.

"I want to get back to Michigan, and I want to try," she said.

Filed under: John McCain • Michigan • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. Lone McCain Blogger

She's campaiging for 2012. McCain's been sold down the river a long time ago folks.

October 3, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  2. The Lady

LISTENE TO YOUR DADDY DEAR, HE KNOWS BEST ON THIS ONE.

October 3, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  3. Pam

What does her husband have to do with anything? Who would take care of her kids while they're in Michigan? Why aren't her kids in school?

October 3, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  4. Biff

Please God,

the thought of this woman across a table from Putin going "you betcha"!

.... scares the bejesus out of me...

October 3, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  5. mike-canada

LIving in Canada and being able to see Alaska from my window I am able to understand the policies of Govenor Palin more than other Americans.
    If I were John MCCain I would travel with a food taster everwhere I went. This women is out of control , and she doesn't go or do anything without Todd (wonderboy ) at her side.
    I am suffering from electile dysfuntion just listening to her.

October 3, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  6. Cary from Michigan

We would be glad to have them.

October 3, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  7. vicky

McCain's only losing by 8 points in Michigan and he gives that up, but he's losing by 15 points in PA and I'm still having to watch his nasty commercials. He needs to give up PA too.

I am so tired of watching these two crazies, God help us all if they somehow pull off a win next month.

October 3, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  8. G in the A

I personally have to agree with Palin on not giving up. Not that staying will help Mccain because their ticket . They will lose because they have bad ideas for the economy , war and future of America

October 3, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  9. Kulasa

This is a tactic by the McCain campaign. Look at the vehicle she used to get that out - FOX News!

October 3, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  10. Anonymous

I sure McCain is rolling over at night wondering what the heck he did! He must be asking himself if he was drunk when he made the decision to pick Palin. He basically shot himself himself in the foot. Now who's the one that's not ready. Give up McCain, go home! It's over!

October 3, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  11. jw

Palin waling through a car plant would walking around San Quinton in a bikini.

October 3, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  12. N.S of Huntsville, Al

I want to know why it is acceptable, for Pailn to be so out in left field, reading scripted answers last night during the debate, and yet people still think she did well?

There was a question about bankruptcy Biden answered it, Pailn said she wants to talk about something else.

All that winking and smiling and dodging the questions, any smart person knows that chick is not VP material.

But you AMERICA let your darling pretty Pailn get away with murder, know one has asked her anything of value. Katie Couric didn't ask her any tough questions and Biden did an excellent job, but because he was expected to they wont give him praise.

October 3, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  13. Anita in Portland

How many VP's do we need? Todd??? What the heck is he going to do for the ticket? I hope she doesn't plan on running the White House the same way she ran the Governor's office...copying Todd on official business that shouldn't be shared with the public.

BAD JUDGEMENT is sending confidential State (or heaven forbid, National) business through Yahoo mail!

OBAMA '08

October 3, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  14. Drew from Green Bay, WI

I applaud McCain for this decision. It seems like Michigan is one of those states that would be easy to get stuck in because he had a few close showings in MI and then spent a ton of money only to see Obama with an 8 piont lead with about a month left until the voting. Why does Palin think that another month is going to make a difference if how many months of campaigning hard hasn't helped? I guess that's just how Palin likes to show her lack of qualification for pretty much anything in politics.

October 3, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  15. Steve Cohen

You mean McCain did not even discuss this with Palin before announcing his decision to leave Michigan? Does not sound like they are communicating very well.

Steve,
    Laguna Niguel

October 3, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  16. John in DC

"Todd and I"?????

October 3, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  17. Palin a maverick

You go girl! That's what I call a maverick!

October 3, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  18. bob

Tell us what disqualifies Obama, Palin?

October 3, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  19. terry maineiac

lets all pray that she doesnt get there.
    Im surprised ( but not really) that this statement by her isnt getting more scrutiny and coverage.

PALIN: No, no. Of course, we know what a vice president does. And that's not only to preside over the Senate and will take that position very seriously also. I'm thankful the Constitution would allow a bit more authority given to the vice president if that vice president so chose to exert it in working with the Senate and making sure that we are supportive of the president's policies and making sure too that our president understands what our strengths are. John McCain and I have had good conversations about where I would lead with his agenda. That is energy independence in America and reform of government over all, and then working with families of children with special needs. That's near and dear to my heart also. In those arenas, John McCain has already tapped me and said, that's where I want you, I want you to lead. I said, I can't wait to get and there go to work with you.

PALIN: Well, our founding fathers were very wise there in allowing through the Constitution much flexibility there in the office of the vice president. And we will do what is best for the American people in tapping into that position and ushering in an agenda that is supportive and cooperative with the president's agenda in that position. Yeah, so I do agree with him that we have a lot of flexibility in there, and we'll do what we have to do to administer very appropriately the plans that are needed for this nation. And it is my executive experience that is partly to be attributed to my pick as V.P. with McCain, not only as a governor, but earlier on as a mayor, as an oil and gas regulator, as a business owner. It is those years of experience on an executive level that will be put to good use in the White House also.

Flexibilty in the Constitution ( and mccain/palin support orginal intent and interpretation )

Article I section 3

shall be President of the Senate, but shall have no Vote, unless they be evenly divided

Article II section 1

The vice president's other constitutionally mandated duty was to receive from the states the tally of electoral ballots cast for president and vice president and to open the certificates "in the Presence of the Senate and House of Representatives," so that the total votes could be counted

She wants to become Super-Cheney.

Is Todd-boy to become what hillary was as first-lady. an unelected 2nd in charge. seems where ever she goes hes there in the background.

October 3, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  20. Hooverguide

Aw, come on – gimme one more chance – one for the gipper.
    We, the people, continue to be shocked – not at the over the top confidence after being in it "for what is it? 5 weeks now?" – but the sheer enormity of the arrogance and complete inability to grasp reality on a national scale.

October 3, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  21. Ariel

...whatever Todd and I can do in realizing what their challenges in that state are, as we can relate to them and connect with them and promise them that we won't let them down in the administration..
    _____________________________________________________

"can do IN REALIZING WHAT THEIR CHALLENGES"

She obviously cannot even get her grammar straight.

Does she (and Todd) not already REALIZE what the challenges are for those in Michigan?

When did McCain elect Todd to be part of the campaign?

October 3, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  22. FRANK O.

What is up with this so called "joe six pack" language?
    darn gone it! you betcha! i fired up and email!
    i mean come on, how long with this ordinary joe street talk drama last.
    i talk like this therefore i was never promoted to the next level in my job for 10 years. there is a reason why articulated and well spoken people get to higher positions.

Come on America! do we really want this drama queen to be our next potential President. I dont know about others but i want my President to be well spoken and articulated and much more eloquent than me.
    Enough of this folksy talk. You are not running Alaska anymore. God forbid if you get elected Ms. Palin, you and Todd will be running the world. And I as an American can NOT let that happen.

October 3, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  23. louise, SAnta Barbara, CA

She wants to be the next Chaney

October 3, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  24. CB2

Please Go Plain Palin you and McCane. lol Just go to Michigan and don't ever come back!!!!!!!

Bye!!!

October 3, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  25. TODD????

So...Todd is not running for the VP spot too? Oh yeah.... back atcha.... First VP DUDE...... Pathetic rednecks.... go back to Alaska and shoot something....

October 3, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |