October 4th, 2008

Palin hits Obama for 'terrorist' connection

In remarks Saturday, Gov. Palin sought to link Sen. Obama with 1970's radical William Ayers, according to a statement released by the McCain-Palin campaign.

ENGLEWOOD, Colorado (CNN) - Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin on Saturday slammed Sen. Barack Obama's political relationship with a former anti-war radical, accusing him of associating "with terrorists who targeted their own country."

Palin's attack delivered on the McCain campaign's announcement that it would step up attacks on the Democratic presidential candidate with just a month left before the November general election.

"We see America as the greatest force for good in this world," Palin said at a fund-raising event in Colorado, adding, "Our opponent though, is someone who sees America it seems as being so imperfect that he's palling around with terrorists who would target their own country."

Palin made similar comments later at a rally in Carson, California.

Obama's Chicago home is in the same neighborhood as Bill Ayers, a founder of the radical Weather Underground that was involved in several bombings in the early 1970s, including the Pentagon and the Capitol, and the two have met several times since Obama's 1995 campaign for an Illinois state senate seat.

Full story

soundoff (1,514 Responses)
  1. Bob (Illinois)

I'd like to say I'm surprised at Palin saying this crap but I'm not. She just solidified her credentials as a GOP campaigner: When you can't win on the issues throw garbage.

October 4, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  2. RobWA

LMAO!! So sad old man and incoherent Barbie, won't work this time. People are SICK OF ALL THE NEGATIVITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 4, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  3. It is Obama-Biden in 2008 and 2012

Sen. Barack Obama was a young boy – just 8 years old – when Ayers was conducting his horrible activities. Obama is not a terrorist, and he can NEVER be held responsible for the actions of Ayers. Everyone knows that Barack has condemned Ayers' actions.

October 4, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  4. Griff

You have to excuse my typing faults. Who would ever believe I could type 60 word a minute, 50 yrs ago.. But my Eyesight is not what it used to be... This message is to anyother Bloggers. I suppose,

October 4, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  5. Iris

This is so disgusting and even reason more why the McCain-Palin ticket is unworthy of my vote. I would much prefer Palin tried to do a little more research on the economy and what she could substantively bring to the White House than smear and lies. The ONE TIME she picks up a newspaper...it's not to find out what's happening in the financial world but gossip! Pathetic!
    I'm going to take a page from Hillary..........Shame on you Palin!

October 4, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  6. Charlie in Maine

Do ya really want to go back that far friends of Charles Keating? Besides Barack Obama was not even walking yet in the mid 60s. McShame was an adult when he did his thing for Keating.

October 4, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  7. Eric

GOP desperation, this people are sick.

October 4, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  8. CJV

McCain and Tucker Bounds = Bush and Karl Rove. No substance, no ethics, pure liars. We've had enough. Us independents are smarter than you give us credit for, Mr. McCain and Mrs. Palen.

Vote Obama-Biden for a better tomorrow.

October 4, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  9. Lipsticks on Pig

This woman is pathetic. Isn't the time the Obama campaign starts going after her? We all know she will start whining sexism. This stupid woman, who can't mention the newspapers and magazines she reads or the Supreme Court decisions she has disagreed with is ill-qualified even to be a small town mayor.

October 4, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  10. Barbara

I am 67 years old and for the first time I have voted for a democrat.
    Just tell Obama that it's in the mail. Change is needed. Don't let McCain and his hockey mom running mate stop you from telling the American people what you will do for them. I lived in Arizona for 30 years and don't know what McCain has done that I should vote for him. Oh, yes he and Bush got us into a war that we shouldn't be in.
    PS my husband voted for you as well. score 2 to zero.

October 4, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  11. DonnyBrook

This just goes to show how reckless and irresponsible Sarah Palin truly is. She was probably reading from a couple of 3×5 cards when she spoke, anyway. All she does is parrot John McCain; even when she does have an original thought, she sticks her foot in it. If she is going to shamelessly hurl accusations about something that happened years ago, then maybe half of America still loves their ex-spouses, or secretly wants to go back to work for ex-bosses, or seek out ex-lovers from years ago. Using her logic, if you once supported something, or even hinted at supporting something, then you must always support whatever that something is. I wonder how that goes for her Trooper-Gate controversy?

October 4, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  12. Mccain is a liar

Not this time republicans, we aren't as stupid as you think Mccain campaign!

October 4, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  13. Mike

She's absolutely right. Wake up, moderates, and take a very close look at Obama's friends and his voting record in the U.S. Senate. To say that he is extremely liberal is a gross understatement.

October 4, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  14. Bryce Mohan

You've got to me kidding me. Obama was a child at the time Ayers involved in the weatherman...and oh, by the way...he wasn't even convicted of a crime.

Sarah Palin: Doesn't know what the bush doctrine is, can't recall what she reads on a daily basis, doesn't remember which supreme court cases she disagrees with, can't recall which specific times McCain fought for regulation of the financial industry, said she would 'absolutely' go across pakistans border to hit the terrorists...

Did I forget to mention she's already under ethics investiagtion?

Is it just me or is the entire McCain compaign based on trying to scare voters with half truths and outright lies?

Do they actually have any solutions to share with the american people?

Maybe it's time to suspend the compaign again.

October 4, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  15. Robert

You know it is a disgrace that as great as we claim that we are as a country, we even give idiots like Sarah Palin a platform to demonstrate her ignorance and stupity.

I am not running for VP and I know a lot more about issues facing this country both domestically and internationally.

AMERICA, WAKE UP. DON'T BE FOOLED 3 TIMES by this wacko right wingers.

October 4, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  16. Jack

She has ruined his campaign. This is just going way too far. I just can't vote for this ticket in good conscience. I mean this woman would be a heartbeat from the Oval Office. That is just scaring me. I like McCain, but she is too radical for me.

October 4, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  17. Joel

I guess the N.Y. Times is one of the papers she reads or someone reads for her that she couldn`t name when katie Couric asked her
    what papers she read

October 4, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  18. Deain ,New Jersey

I guess when your delema is that your falling way behind in polls,you pull out of a battleground state and start fling poo from trees.

October 4, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  19. JohnLee

This isn't politics Palin/McCain – this is smearing and swift boating. I'm still trying to figure out why I once supported McCain. What did I actually see in him?

October 4, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  20. MaryMaryQuiteContrary

This from a woman whose husband supports a group that wants Alaska to be it's own country and break away from the United States anymore.

This woman scared the bejesus out of anyone with enough sense to try, just TRY to imagine her as President!

YIKES!!!!

October 4, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  21. Donna

McCain/Palin are showing just why we don't want them to take office. Since they are slipping in the pols they do what Republicans do best. LIES!! We've had 8 years of lies and no solutions. NO MORE! Why is it that as a country we have to stoop to this level. Hopefully, people won't fall for the line of baloney this time around. Shame on you McCain/Palin you've sunk to a new time low. Please Obama, keep to your guns and stick to the issue's. You've got my vote!

October 4, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  22. Mike Smith

Desperate times call for desperate measures. McCain/Palin are victims of their own reality; stuck in the unenviable position of advocating for the war in Iraq while the American economy teeters on the brink of collapse. The Bush administration shifted from pro-conservative to socialist/fascist almost overnight leaving McCain/Palin to preach "maverick" idealism without articulating a clear or compelling message to differentiate from the leadership of the status quo.

Expect to see more of the same metaphorical "Obama Voodoo Dolls" being dressed up with turbins, dangled in the spotlight and stuck with verbal needles by the McCain/Palin (Geppetto/Pinocchio) team in a futile effort to divert attention from their flawed, fragile and beleagured campaign for the presidency of the United States.

October 4, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  23. Ali Sayed

Those are extremely inflammatory, uncalled-for remarks. John McCain and Sarah Palin have gone to a new extreme low by projecting these baseless attacks. McCain is just trying to divert our attention away from his unrealistic economic plan by using these low-road tactics. At this rate, Obama will win the presidential election by a landslide.

October 4, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  24. Julie

Pretty gross on Palin's part to make an accusation of this magnitude. Especially considering that she doesn't seem to understand the strength of her own ignorance.

October 4, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  25. Rosemary Walker

I find this latest low level tactics by the McCain/Palin ticket to be unamerican and quite frankly desperate. It is in my opinion that as an american, I would not want these two candidates to represent me as my leaders. Both McCain/Palin are disgrace to ole glory and I would venture to say as I was taught by my parents, "If you don't have anything nice to say about another person, then keep your opinions to yourself."

October 4, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |