October 4th, 2008

Palin hits Obama for 'terrorist' connection

In remarks Saturday, Gov. Palin sought to link Sen. Obama with 1970's radical William Ayers, according to a statement released by the McCain-Palin campaign.

ENGLEWOOD, Colorado (CNN) - Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin on Saturday slammed Sen. Barack Obama's political relationship with a former anti-war radical, accusing him of associating "with terrorists who targeted their own country."

Palin's attack delivered on the McCain campaign's announcement that it would step up attacks on the Democratic presidential candidate with just a month left before the November general election.

"We see America as the greatest force for good in this world," Palin said at a fund-raising event in Colorado, adding, "Our opponent though, is someone who sees America it seems as being so imperfect that he's palling around with terrorists who would target their own country."

Palin made similar comments later at a rally in Carson, California.

Obama's Chicago home is in the same neighborhood as Bill Ayers, a founder of the radical Weather Underground that was involved in several bombings in the early 1970s, including the Pentagon and the Capitol, and the two have met several times since Obama's 1995 campaign for an Illinois state senate seat.

Full story

soundoff (1,514 Responses)
  1. Obama 08

McCain and Palin campaign has turned into a joke. Just like Obama stated in one of his speeches, they have no new ideas for the problems of America so they choose to speak negative remarks about him and his campaign to cover up the fact that they have nothing to offer to the American people.

2. Thierry

For the last two elections, GOP had used scared tactic, fear factor strategy, lies, and negative, nasty ads to win the election. Do they have anythingelse to offer? I think that's incompetency, ridiculous, and stupid for a party to use these kind of strategies to win an election. I am not a Democrat, but Obama is more presidential than McCain. McCain looks like someone who suffers mental retardation. The worst, he chose a Palin who has no clue what the economy is about. How she is going to deal with this mess their party created? She only has Russia as her foreign policy experience; how she going to deal with the rest of the world? For the first time in my entire life I am afraid for my own country.

3. Tony

Its unsustancial vicious attacks to the caracther of a candidate that disguisted me from the GOP tickett I am an independent voter thats looking very close for issues and facts on both candidates and I am sure just like me millions of Americans are disappointed with the GOP tickett please if they dont have any thing sustancial to talk about they should keep their comments and opions of the candidates to themselfs.

4. Cory

It's not surprising that an uneducated poor-excuse for a candidate would say this in a moment of desperation....but CNN why are you reporting it? This is yellow journalism, giving any kind of credence to sensational claims that you know are false. Please have respect for yourself and your field. I will stop reading/watching CNN if you can't determine what is real news and what is propaganda. It is fine to report substantiated criticism with Obama but don't fall for Palin's garbage. The reason Obama and Biden ignores Palin is because she is empty attacks, no substance and when you respond to it you play her game....and it's the only game she has. I don't understand how she can claim to be patriotic when she knows nothing about the history of American government. If you want to report this, the headline should read "Desperate Palin falsely ties Obama to terrorism".

5. GF

The foul stench of desperation.

No way, No how, No McCain/Palin

6. Jeffery -- Oregon

Has everyone forgotten? That, while a POW in Vietnam, McCain collaborated with the enemy and made that traitorous tape? Yes, yes, he was tortured. But, then, how do we know that he, as President, won't be affected by the brainwashing he was subjected to while a POW?

Now, this is an absurd argument. But, if Sarah Palin can accuse Obama of consorting with terrorists, shouldn't we look at the possibility that McCain is a "Manchurian Candidate", of sorts?

7. Greg

Is this the depth to which American politics and politicians have sunk? We deserve so much more than Mrs. Palin's unformed accusations. Indeed, we demand more. Shame on her and Mr. McCain.

8. uncle salty

… And since we all know from her TV interviews what a wise and brilliant person Sarah Palin is, we should definitely listen to whatever she plops out of her mouth…

9. JF

I am sick of this!!! This party will go to any lengths (or sink to any depths) in its sad attempt to stave off its inevitable demise. I think there is a glimmer of hope that the American people are finally waking up and seeing the "true colors" of this bunch, and it's NOT a pretty sight ......

10. John

Wow... Palin touts herself as a Christian, with good Christian values. It would seem that she easily abandons those values in a desperate attempt to disparage Mr. Obama. She KNOWS the charge is a lie yet she utters it again. Swiftboat politics.
    Perhaps Mr. McCain's reprimand for his involvement with Charles Keating and the four other members of the "Keating Five" should be brought up. While McCain was exonerated of any corruption, he was reprimanded for his poor judgement. At least there is some truth to that.

11. Elisabeth

Total BS that will backfire for McCain.

12. Mohammad, LA CA

Despicable. The key question is: Will the media fall for this?

13. Joe

Hockey mom and a pig with lips stick, sound like big time moron.
    if she not kkk . I think this woman is very dangerous
    she love life and she thinks every boby else desever death.
    This is a joke and so disrepectfull to the America people.
    She is a criminal on the run, she needs to go and testify
    the case that is going on in her home state.
    I can not understand why she thinks she is above the law.
    She love her disable baby , she hate abortion, but she has no problem blowing people apart killing mouse.
    Now that she is addicted to moose blood, guess who she wants suck?
    Blool sucker is always a blood sucker
    WATCHOUT FOR MORONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!THEY ARE DANGERIOUS

14. Go McCain/Palin!

You tell 'em Sarah! Why the media isn't reporting on Bill Ayers I will never know.

NOBAMA '08! Use your brain, people! We need a leader!

15. NormK

As McCain promised to run a clean campaign, he lies, is ignorant, or he forgets? No matter what the reason is, it's frightening.

16. Wendy G.

McCain's decision to use Swiftboat tactics proves that he believes that the end justifies the means. It also demonstrates his total disregard for the public's need to have good information about the candidates. Yes, there are always exaggerations but this kind of junk is beneath everyone. Thank God it's almost over.
    By the way, a lot of foreigners are sick of hearing American politicians suggest that America is the ONLY place is the world where people can realise their dreams. It's a fantastic country, but it's not the only fantastic country.

October 4, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  17. dave

You go girl!

Expose the real Obamatron

October 4, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  18. Reed from Charlotte

The McCain campaign is using this ignorant woman to attack Obama with vicious lies because they feel he won't respond because she is a woman and a dumb one at that. Furthermore, I guess the country knows the answer to the question, “How will McCain use Palin after the debate?” He will use her giggle, to bat her eyes and spread lies.

October 4, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  19. monica

If I thought Palin knew who they are I'd ask her what she thinks of Mccain's ties to his criminal pal Keating who created the 1st S&L economic crisis for Americans or his buddy Gordon Liddy. And I'd ask her how she likes how Mccain greased the skids with his own hands to make it easier for Keating to cheat Americans out of their tax dollars.
    Obama had nothing to do with Ayers' actions, period.

October 4, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  20. elizabeth martin

PALLIN, I THINK YOU SHOULD KNOW BY NOW YOU ARE NOT PART OF THE TEAM, IF YOUR PARTNER CAN MAKE A DECISION WITHOUT YOUR KNOWLEDGE THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT YOUR POSITION IN THE CAMP. AS FOR YOUR COMMENT ,THAT BOAT SAILED ALONG TIME AGO. AMERICANS ARE WORRIED ABOUT THEIR FINANCES NOT AN EVENT THAT HAPPENNED BEFORE YOUR TIME. I THINK IT IS TIME FOR YOU TO GO BACK TO ALASKA BECAUSE THE ELCTION IS OVER. STOP THE PARODY.

October 4, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  21. lon

Sarah Palin has really lost all respect that I had for her. I thought she was a very respectful and smart woman but her comments proved otherwise. As a mother, I teach my kids not to lie and put others down but I guess she wasn't taught that in the backwoods of Alaska.

McCain/Palin drop out of the race. You have already lost.

Obama/Biden 08

October 4, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  22. Andrew

Who cares Palin!! Oh yeah, hey Palin umm your against re-distribution of wealth? I guess you don't listen to your lord Jesus christ. Read the bible sometime. Republicans are fake Christians. They only want wealth for themselves and businesses.. that's a complete contradiction to everything the bible teaches.

I'm sick of the media never bringing this stuff up. What are you people afraid of??

October 4, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  23. Josh

These guys are becoming obviously desperate!
    Its so surprising that even after a poor vote count from house republicans in the vote on the bailout, McCain can still point to his suspending of his campaign and claim success.If he considers that good enough for him, and if that is all he could come up with even after halting all else (due to failure to multi task) and concentrating on the bailout deal, then I am not sure I want to vote for him.

October 4, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  24. bubiddy

How pathetic this republican ticket has become. It is nothing less than a mockery of what this great party used to be. Surely, this past republican controlled Congress, along with the Bush Presidency has shown America with out a doubt, that the upper echelon party members and it's affiliates have lowered their values and morals to sub standard levels. If these people think Americans out side of their conservative religious base will believe lies and innuendos portraying Obama as some kind of terrorist lover, I feel my party has drawn the line. I am republican on paper because my values are based on truth, values, hard work and fiscal responsibility, none of which I have seen this past eight years. I would expect my parties nominee to run on his character and record, along with the core values I just mentioned. If that is not good enough, I am appalled by the use of fear and hatred as tools against ones opponent as we are all Americans here. This has gone too far. Our current administration has ruined the reputation of our party and our Nation. If I felt for one minute John McCain and Sarah Palin were up to the task I would vote with my party, but they are both deflecting the issues and facts continuously and attacking the character and integrity of two US Senators who appear to care for our future as much as the rest of us do. The democratic ticket has worked hard to speak about the issues our Nation faces this election. Mrs Palin and John McCain seem to be working to spin the facts and avoid direct talk on what it important. Slander and defamation are not what my affiliation is about. I will vote Democratic this election and in the future, until I see some respectful, honest change in what Republicanism has become. This is why our party is loosing it's base and the democrats are gaining in size. It is not there core views on Government, it is their integrity. Republicans have become biased, divisive, racist and hateful and Democrats have become inclusive and respectful of diversity. What happened here? Disgraceful, simply disgraceful!

October 4, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  25. Mark, Detroit Michigan

The McCain has really lost it..resorting to these kind of swift-boat attacks becasue they can't debate on them on real issues. I was undecided, but now I am voting for Obama/Biden.

October 4, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |