October 5th, 2008

New Obama ad tries to focus nation's attention on the economy

The Obama campaign released another Sunday that has economic themes.
The Obama campaign released another Sunday that has economic themes.

(CNN) – With a month until Election Day, the Obama campaign is trying keep voters’ attention focused on their pocketbooks and retirement savings accounts.

In “This Year,” the latest in a string of Obama ads with economic themes, the Democratic nominee uses images of locked factory gates and anxiety on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange. “Erratic in a crisis. Out of touch on the economy,” the ad says as images of Sen. John McCain getting off an airplane and riding a golf cart appear on screen.

The commercial comes amid talk of McCain preparing to adopt a more aggressive strategy in the final month of the general election campaign, first reported Saturday in the Washington Post.

“Struggling families can’t turn the page on this economy,” the ad says.

The McCain campaign has not responded to CNN's request for comment about "This Year."

The new ad will begin airing Monday on national cable outlets, according to the Obama campaign.

(Full script after the jump)

Script, "This Year," 30 seconds, national cable:

ANNCR: Three quarters of a million jobs lost this year.

Our financial system in turmoil.

And John McCain? Erratic in a crisis. Out of touch on the economy.

No wonder his campaign’s announced a plan to “turn a page on the financial crisis”…distract with dishonest, dishonorable “assaults” against Barack Obama.

Struggling families can’t turn the page on this economy…and we can’t afford another President who’s this out of touch.

Obama: I’m Barack Obama and I approve this message.

1. kristin

Intead of singing 'bomb-bomb, bomb-bomb Iran' he should be singing ' How low can we go- how low can we go'.
    To the Hockey mom supporters of Palin: Im sure you will understand the their pull-out of Michigan better if put into hockey terms "PULL THE GOALIE !!!!!!!!!!!"

October 5, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  2. Charles

Yea Obama! Keep kickin' McSame in the economy. They 've got nothin.!!!

On the other hand, Sarah Palin being chosen as Pet of the Month should not go unnoticed. That is quite an achievement for a woman of her age. But why did they airbrush her antler tattoo???

October 5, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  3. Jay Gilmore

What I don't understand about McCain isn't he a vet and he voted to cut
    vets benefit that is in itself is crazy he talks about how much he would take care of vets cuttiing our benefits has not help, I understand Bush and Obama neither guys has served in war but a guy who himself is a vet and served in a war and cut funding go figure. I wasnt a POW but I served my country and also was injured too, but I don't use what happen to me to get sympathy from people either, at the end of his debate with Obama he said they(meaning vets) know I will take care was the joke of the century I am voting for Obama at least he not being a vets may not understand the position about war but a guys who have served know
    exactly what I am discussing now. I dont need JoeSix Pack you bet ya.

October 5, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  4. Rex

I am a Democrat and I am voting for McCain. Oh no! Why are you betraying Barack? You know why! Because John McCain had invented the BlackBerry. I love my blackberry. McCain know Washington for 30 years, Barack is new to Washington. McCain is smart and does not understand the economy and I am thrill to vote for McCain. McCain is rich and Barack is not. McCain has many houses and Barack does not. If I Americans get evicted from their homes they can get a room each from McCain. McCain is the real deal that will shake up Washington and himself because he is an insider. Sarah Palin is a foreign policy expert because she can see Russia from Alaska Joe Biden cannot see Russia from Delaware. This is why I am not voting for McCain. Palin try to link Obama to the terrorist shame on her and her republican mate who support that shame.

October 5, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  5. GA for Obama

Bat-242- ALL those claims you put, no experience, belittles military, friends with terrorists and past drug user, are ALL FALSE and been dealt with and banged to death for weeks..DEAL with it..Obama will be our president and he'll make a great leader

October 5, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  6. dana in north carolina

Look at huffington posts article on paul begala's interview on meet the press this morning, wow, Mc cain is in for it now.

October 5, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  7. Lu

McCain could win the election if he follows my advice.

1) Sack his whole campaign team.
    2) Employ Obama's team.
    3) Put Obama in charge of his campaign.

Free and excellent advice.

October 5, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  8. Michelle D. - Atlanta, GA

OK. So now we've cleared THAT hurdle. Maybe she should start readling newspapers a little more often instead of listening to Rove and parroting the usual REPUB garbage.

October 5, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  9. Laurence Hornibrook

I have a lot of respect for John McCain (not so much for Sarah Palin). For what he's done in the past he earned that from me, but I think he is not running his campaign. Those around him are undermining his message and image. His "Straight Talk" is gone and we're left with the lowest level of attacks possibe. I eagerly look forward to each day to see how low his campaign will stoop to. I can honestly say our future is better in the hands of someone I can trust. Obama has mine!

October 5, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  10. Dave in Chicago

The Obama cultists have decided that their part in the political debate is merely to shout as loud as they can "Obama is a leader!" and "Obama is for change!"

How was he a leader in the recent financial crisis? They criticized McCain for failing to deliver the Republican House votes the first time but where was Obama leading the 95 Democrats that voted no.

How is he for change other than mouthing it as a slogan? What has he done in 8 years in the Illinois Senate and 2 years in the US Senate to promote change. How is voting 97% of the time along party lines working in a bipartisan way for change.

October 5, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  11. hope

mc 72 is not just getting it, that is the problem, he has no plans for the americans now is looking for the biggest word to use to bring obama down, mc papa, i will advice u to wait for tuesday and tell obama to his face what u want to use to bring obama down if u have the mouth to even use, as for ur daughter, she his just too small for obama to handle, let see what you will tell obama on tuesday because OBAMA is ready for you.

October 5, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  12. tuff Col. Oh

so the mccsane camp must be going to sean hannity school 101, i have never seen anyone more obssesed with this william ayers story ,more than sean hannity on fix noise, the negative attack ads DO NOT WORK, AS AN OHIO VOTER, who has already voted, OBAMA will take OHIO, and the election, like obama says, john me mcshame dosen't get it, NOT THIS TIME

October 5, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  13. Jim

This election is over. Obama's going to win over (maybe well over) 300 electoral votes.

October 5, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  14. Abdi Abubakar

I voted republican all my life but this time I am changing my vote to democrats because it seems the republian ticket has no solid economic solutions for the financial crises that this country faces. When it comes to Iraq war , the sucess that John Mccain talksabout will not hold water because Iraq is not a democracy and will not be one for a long time. Shiia are in power because they are the majority and they will be close to Iran rather to be close to Americans because of religion. iran is the winner in this war and it will remain so in the future. This is what the republicans did not understand. Iran will be huge influence in the Iraqi politics and for this reason Americans gave Iran a big apportunity.

October 5, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  15. Joe Six Pack

Go for the jujitsu Barack. Attack them before they can even realize what hit them. I don't want someone like me – a joe six pack to run this country. I need a more intelligent, smarter guy to be my president

October 5, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  16. MARY,FLORIDA

Thank God McCain picked Palin.Because of her lack of everything ,she has brought the McCain campaign down.By picking her he showed the world his bad jugement.Change dose not begin by using Rove tactics.

October 5, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  17. N Gee

Just the facts McCain Palin...... Rove politics and "Fleeced" theories do not allow us to get to know what we need to know. How are your tax plans going to be different from Bush's?

We have listened to Fox News personal attacks, we want substance from you

October 5, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  18. Anonymous

In such bad finacial times i want to hear about the economy,health and jobs.It is horrifying to hear sarah palin who has no knowledge, and all about perception and in such bad times it is scary that voters do not want to know more about facts rather heresay

October 5, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  19. Independent minded Person

thank god the Conservative republicans meat puppets r finally coming 2 terms with the reality that its not about blue collar white collar doesn't matter what color shirt u got on, its not about gay or strait black or white ITS ABOUT THE COUNTRY STUPID!!!!!!!!

October 5, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  20. Bill

Note that the Obama ad addresses a real issue and is substantive? Meanwhile back at the ranch, Palin and McCain are trying to come up with another wild story about Obama to try to discredit him.

McCain/Palin are looking more desperate every day.

October 5, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  21. Eric Tom

What gets you admited in to HAVARD? Intelligence, High IQ. In this election we have a clear between the two contesting teams.
    The current crisis demands a HAVARD type of analysis. Surely, a Vote OBAMA/BIDEN will guarantee the AMERICAN DREAM.

McCain said > He does not understand the complex economy.
    Palin > Said she has only been around for 5 weeks , therefore she has no personal ideas.

Certainly, McCain/Palin is not the best. No new ideas , except same BUSH ideas .

October 5, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  22. Dan, TX

Obama's right about McCain's health care plan. To break even under McCain's plan, you have to drop to a much worse insurance plan. If you pay $3300 for health care, but the employers $9600 payment for the rest of the plan now is taxable for you, that means you pay $3000 more in taxes on the employee sponsored part, $1000 more on the part you pay that is no longer deductable. Giving you a net tax "cut" of $1000. But since that money goes to the insurance company, you actually get none of that money, so it is a $4000 tax INCREASE from McCain.

October 5, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  23. Bill,ca

These negative attacks from McCain and Palin will defeat those 2 liars in november.They both are out of touch and wont explain their proposals in detail.

Just keep hammering away on the real issues Obama and it will be a landslide victory.

Obama / Biden 08

October 5, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  24. scarlet, outsider in Switzerland

I am not a US citizen but I have been following the Presidential campaings...McOldman is just a bitter old man together with his sideskick that he picks up as his new playmate...he reminds me of old McBush each time I look at him I see the face of old McBush at the back...The whole world is waiting for Obama who can really unite US with the Europe, Asia,, Middle East and the rest of the world. I would feel sorry for the americans who would be intimidated to wote that old sack ('alte sack' as in German language) with his winky winky sidekick and following another 4 years of McBush's legacy. It is about time that americans get the notion that their image need to be changed and that only be achieved with a change in politics and a new face, one who is cool, caring and above all, a leader who is able to use his diplomacy, judgement for the good of the american people and that person is Obama. If I were a US citizen, he would have 101% of my vote so americans are very fortunate to have such an able leader...do not allow McOldman to use fear tactics,etc . Vote for Obama on Nov.4!

October 5, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  25. Independent for Obama

McCain/Palin only want to play dirty and really don't CARE about what is happening to us in America. I lost my job. My kids public school is falling behind. Who will help? and who really cares? not the MCain ticket. Vote Obama/Biden for the love of this country.

October 5, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |