October 5th, 2008

New Obama ad tries to focus nation's attention on the economy

The Obama campaign released another Sunday that has economic themes.
The Obama campaign released another Sunday that has economic themes.

(CNN) – With a month until Election Day, the Obama campaign is trying keep voters’ attention focused on their pocketbooks and retirement savings accounts.

In “This Year,” the latest in a string of Obama ads with economic themes, the Democratic nominee uses images of locked factory gates and anxiety on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange. “Erratic in a crisis. Out of touch on the economy,” the ad says as images of Sen. John McCain getting off an airplane and riding a golf cart appear on screen.

The commercial comes amid talk of McCain preparing to adopt a more aggressive strategy in the final month of the general election campaign, first reported Saturday in the Washington Post.

“Struggling families can’t turn the page on this economy,” the ad says.

The McCain campaign has not responded to CNN's request for comment about "This Year."

The new ad will begin airing Monday on national cable outlets, according to the Obama campaign.

(Full script after the jump)

Script, "This Year," 30 seconds, national cable:

ANNCR: Three quarters of a million jobs lost this year.

Our financial system in turmoil.

And John McCain? Erratic in a crisis. Out of touch on the economy.

No wonder his campaign’s announced a plan to “turn a page on the financial crisis”…distract with dishonest, dishonorable “assaults” against Barack Obama.

Struggling families can’t turn the page on this economy…and we can’t afford another President who’s this out of touch.

Obama: I’m Barack Obama and I approve this message.

1. Mary

Can someone tell me why is it that the McCain camp is not aware that there are issues facing America? I am fed up with the total disrespect of Americas furture by this camp, and to think about it I am an indepentant voter the choice is clear as of today. Obama/Biden 08

October 5, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  2. Don

Here's a simple math...

Obama = Intelligent
    McCain = Brash

For those who don't know their vocabulary, according to the dictionary:

Intelligence= A: having or indicating a high or satisfactory degree of intelligence and mental capacity B: revealing or reflecting good judgment or sound thought

Brash= A: heedless of the consequences: B: done in haste without regard for consequences

That's the math on why Obama/Biden is the way to go.

October 5, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  3. bibi

Hi, where is my comment. You always reject them. i am not happy

October 5, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  4. philly phil

palin's "average-ness" doesn't speak for or represent me any more than obama's multicultural heritage and upbringing does – both qualities that i espouse and embody. this election is more than what makes you feel good, it's about what direction this country is heading. and i do NOT want an "average" jose six-pack schmoe leading the way there. if that is what this country needs, i have a handful of rednecks wanting to be president waiting in line for you. i'm sure their "ordinariness" qualifies THEM to run the most powerful nation on earth. GIVE ME RATHER SOMEONE EXTRAORDINARY WHO CAN DO EXTRAORDINARY THINGS AND LEAD US ORDINARY PEOPLE THROUGH THESE EXTRAORDINARY TIMES. i know the value of humility, but being proud of profound stupidity and making a virtue of one's lack of basic knowledge of what this country is facing is an entirely different story.

mccain/palin = unstable/unable

October 5, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  5. Susan

We need to stay on ISSUE # 1. You are on the right lane Mr. Obama just keep going. I'm struggling from groceries to bills and in my mind and heart I know you are the right choice for this time. Just keep going.

As mush as I LOVE to see a woman on the ticket unfortunatly there is no room for error this time. If it was 8 years ago I would have voted just cause. I can't affor it now and I don't think McCain is understanding the situation.

He voted 90% of the time with Bush and now he says Bush was wrong??? My father used to say: YOU CAN NOT TEACH AN OLD DOG A NEW TRICK! so what makes him think that I will believe that he will do a 180 on his policies??????

PLUS I don't think Gov. Palin was elected for what she can bring to the table but to attract my gender. Nice move but wrong time. Let's get my husband's job first (it was shiped to Philiping) and solve our debt then we can get all emotional and vote with our heart but this time I CHOSE TO VOTE WITH MY MIND.

That is why I'm going to vote for Obama/Biden ticket. No special interest, no washington ties, no corruption.

I respected his judgement when he rejected a 6 figures pay job in wall st. to just get paid a $12,000 a year to help out the community that lost their job. Now that is a REAL AMERICAN to me. Now that is PUTTING COUNTRY FIRST!!!

Black or White or Yellow or what ever floats your boat doesn't concern me at this time, he has the right ingridients to make this happen and get us out of the debt that we are soaked in.

Choose and vote wisely cause maybe this is THE LAST CHANCE TO GET IT RIGHT.

God Bless,
    Susan

October 5, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  6. M. Bryan

Everyone knows where John McCain got his money, from family and from dumping one wife and marrying posthaste into a wealthy beer distributorship. His take from the head of a S&L, a person with whom McCain's wife and father had made a hefty real estate investment, and from whom he received gifts was deemed to be "poor judgment" by Congress. That little "mistake" resulted into his becoming a champion of honesty and ethics in government.
    Too bad that he has reneged on ethics and honesty and is engaging in the Rovian tactics that caused him to lose out to George Bush in the last election. Maybe it is only Six-Pack Sarah and the 527s, but the fact is he picked Sarah Palin and he approves of the messages being broadcast even when the are speculative to the point of being devoid of truth. One has to forgive Sarah Palin for not knowing the difference in "palling around" and being a casual acquaintance. She makes George Bush/Dan Quayle look like intellectual giants.
    She is out of her league and he is out of his head!

October 5, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  7. Randy

Look I dont like either one but I will make up my mind when I go to the poles and as for Palin go back to Alaska you were a nobody until Mcain picked you for a running mate bad choice. We dont need 4 more years of the Bush plan

October 5, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  8. Arturo

How can Obama pal around with a terrorist when he was 8 yrs old? I tell you the Circur ticket is desperate as hell!

October 5, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  9. phil texas

WE NEED TO FIND OUT WHY AND JAIL THE SOB'S

October 5, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  10. Wife, Mother, Working Woman

I am so ashamed that I am a registered Republican who truly thought McCain would be a great leader. His first official choice...and he picked Sarah Palin. Unbelieveable. Had he made a good choice and chosen Mitt Romney, this election would be different. If he needed to choose a woman, Kay Bailey Hutchinson or Olympia Snowe would have been great choices as well. But no, he chose Sarah because he thought all the women would flock...or the men would...well, you know. Yes, she's perky, yes, she's cute...but to be a heartbeat away? I think not. As a working women, mother, wife of a military member, I am offended that he thought he could make this horrible choice and get us to all believe she would be great for us. I can't relate to her...I have always put my children first! I am yet another Republican voting for Obama/Biden.

October 5, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  11. Kris K in RM,CA

McCain's campaign is in the tubes. There approach today oon Sunday news is "the worst",
    Meet the Press were laughting at the Palin ticket-it is no longer the McCain ticket-she has taken over. Laughing-that is what the Nation is doing-laughing at McCain. Can't control his own VP!
    We know the Republican's have lied the whole way through and no one believes anything they say.

October 5, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  12. YOU CAN'T STAND THE TRUTH!

NO NEED TO POST THE TRUTH ON THIS NETWORK. IF IT'S NEGATIVE OF OBAMA OR CNN IT WILL NOT GET POSTED.

October 5, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  13. William

America has a corrupted government. This is the main problem.
    I doubt Obama or McCain will be able to change anything.
    Despite current unemployment levels, the government
    increases a number of B and L visas every year allowing companies to replace Americans with foreign workers. The government gives tax brakes to companies that send their business overseas instead of punishing them with higher taxes. Neither Obama nor McCain is an answer.

October 5, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  14. VoteforObama08!

I don't understand why Obama doesn't have an even farther lead from McCain, given the state of the economy and the last 8 years under Bush!? This country still suffers from minor arrogance apparently. Vote Obama/Biden 08!

October 5, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  15. s.positive

McPalin and the lot of the RNC will LOSE badly this November like it or not. We are just waiting to make sure of that. Have a good day folks.

October 5, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  16. Ken

It's official. McCain has nothing to offer. He's pulled one too many stunts this election season. All he has left are long discredited smears that will do nothing but excite a right wing base.

October 5, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  17. Brad Hurt

palin and mccain are so out of touch with the american people on the economy they have know clue in how to fix it. All the they can do is tell lies and smear Obama because that is all they know, I am hoping the american people will not fall for it this time if they do than they deserve every bit what will be coming which will be worse than what we have now.

October 5, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  18. dave

Only in a Republican America is a black man who is a Harvard Educated Constitutional Scholar, with 8yrs as State Senator and 4 yrs as US Senator and member of the Foreign Relations Committe deemed never ready to lead yet a white evangelical ultra conservative woman, with 19 mos as Governor of Alaska and a Bachelor of Journalism considered ready on day one.

This morning as I read the Fact Check reports of Palin's lies I am amazed that people can support the same kind of tactics that brought us the mess we're in.

Wake up America. Get off the couch and locate the facts. They are not telling the truth about Obama and his proposals, and it is easy to prove.

October 5, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  19. Robert

Steve- Lets see the Democrats, Frank's and Dobbs were the ones who wanted the oversite bill blocked in Congress, guess franks was a little in bed with one of their employees, ( now this is not just me saying you might want to look into that), Dobbs was worried about his money that they were giving him so he was against it, He is the #1 in the goverment getting money from Freddie and Fannie, Oh by the way Obama is #2 and he has only be in the senate for 2 years, he really know how to get the money guess that is how he got his house too from all I can read about it the Obama ABC, CBS , NBC and CNN news doesn't put anything like this out cause it would destory his campaing.

Next if you would take a look at how our goverment is setup you will find that congress controls the money Bush has nothing to do with it. And guess who controls congress, That lady from San Fran-sicko, never can remember her name gives me night mares.

October 5, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  20. Serious Voter

They can bring up Ayers, Wright, Osama, or any other unsavory characters they want. Obama/Biden will be the next President/Vice President of the United States of America, and no moose eating, flute toting, eye winking, witch hunting, abuse of power govenor of a state her husband would like to succeed from could do anything about it!

October 5, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  21. Jay

Sarah Palin is a moron! She has a sport journalism degree...How does this make her an energy expert???? I'm not taking anything away from sports journalist...I love football and hockey..There are alot of intelligent sports journalist...She is not one of them........ Her lack of knowledge on the issues and poor instincts are going to get America in trouble.... Who's the next Politican she is going to call a terrorist?? She has no ethics........

October 5, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  22. YOU CAN'T STAND THE TRUTH!

CNN POST THE TRUTH ABOUT OBAMA. HE DID HIRE THE TERRORIST FOR HIS IL CAMPAIGN AND HE DID NET $860,000 FROM KNOW FELON REZKO.

October 5, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  23. LBC

Republican desperation. This is coming from the people who'd elect the Saudis into the White House if they got a chance.

October 5, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  24. bk

Obama talking about the mortgage mess is laughable. He is the 2nd biggest taker from Fannie Mae. He was also a community organizer for ACCORN he trained personnel that forced banks to lend money to people who couldn't afford it. Accorn is also the organization that has people in jail for voter fraud. They arrested 40 people last week. They use 'in your face tactics' to get you to vote Dem. The Dems had 20% of the profit from wall street going into the bail out bill. The Reps. had it removed. So Obama better look in the mirror if he is looking for someone to blame.

October 5, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  25. Susan in Chicago

"Democrats Trust McCain – Obama , Is A Terrorist Sympathizer ."

Firstly, the majority of Democrats DO trust Obama and ARE voting for him, so I would get rid of the screen name if I were you. Oh wait, the Rebugs have ramped up the speed on their lies, so I guess it's befitting that you are using that name.

Secondly, it has been refuted over and over and over prior to today, and numerous times today, that Obama is NOT a terrorist sympathizer! Get-over-it!! At least get some new material that can be proven wrong!

Has the Republican party become nothing but people blindly believing lies if they're not spreading them around??

What a sad day for this country if those two con artists, McCain/Palin, get into office.

October 5, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |