October 5th, 2008

New Obama ad tries to focus nation's attention on the economy

The Obama campaign released another Sunday that has economic themes.
The Obama campaign released another Sunday that has economic themes.

(CNN) – With a month until Election Day, the Obama campaign is trying keep voters’ attention focused on their pocketbooks and retirement savings accounts.

In “This Year,” the latest in a string of Obama ads with economic themes, the Democratic nominee uses images of locked factory gates and anxiety on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange. “Erratic in a crisis. Out of touch on the economy,” the ad says as images of Sen. John McCain getting off an airplane and riding a golf cart appear on screen.

The commercial comes amid talk of McCain preparing to adopt a more aggressive strategy in the final month of the general election campaign, first reported Saturday in the Washington Post.

“Struggling families can’t turn the page on this economy,” the ad says.

The McCain campaign has not responded to CNN's request for comment about "This Year."

The new ad will begin airing Monday on national cable outlets, according to the Obama campaign.

(Full script after the jump)

Script, "This Year," 30 seconds, national cable:

ANNCR: Three quarters of a million jobs lost this year.

Our financial system in turmoil.

And John McCain? Erratic in a crisis. Out of touch on the economy.

No wonder his campaign’s announced a plan to “turn a page on the financial crisis”…distract with dishonest, dishonorable “assaults” against Barack Obama.

Struggling families can’t turn the page on this economy…and we can’t afford another President who’s this out of touch.

Obama: I’m Barack Obama and I approve this message.

1. Matt from Ohio

I congratulate you Senator Barack Obama on focusing your campaign on the REAL crisis at hand, not pandering to angry racists with negative attacks that do nothing for this economy and our country.

Obama-Biden '08!

October 5, 2008 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  2. Old White Chick

Thank you Senator Obama for trying to keep the focus on what is important.

Obama 08

October 5, 2008 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  3. Cathy, Peoria AZ

The Obama campaign continues to focus on issues while McCain has reverted to the "Rove" school of negativity. You would think that Senator McCain, after being the victim of this kind of campaigning by Bush in So Carolina in 2000, would steer clear of this. Perhaps he can't remember.

October 5, 2008 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  4. Mary Riley

Extraordinary hubris of Barack Obama–firmly in the middle of the Fannie Mae-Freddie Mac crisis (his economic advisor formerly head of Fannie Mae), Obama himself the 2nd-highest recipient of political funds from Fannie Mae, even with his short stint in congress.

FannieMae-Freddie Mac at the center of our economic crisis, and you call John McCain erratic?John Mcain is a man of strong character. You want him beside you in a crisis. Look past Obama's charming words to the substance.

October 5, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  5. Christine

Palin and McCain are pulling out every fear-tactic trick in the book to try to gain votes. Whether or not it's a lie doesn't seem to matter.

Thankfully Obama is focusing on the issues and running a dignified race.

October 5, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  6. Republican then, undecided now

I have always voted republican because of my shared views with the ticket as they relate to right-to-life, gay marriage, and fiscal responsibility. I have come to realize that these issues however, should not be the guiding principle and who I cast my lot with, particularly given the current market conditions. McCain and Palin's decision to ignore the issue and not develop clear strategies to confront the economy is troubling. Linking Obama to terrorists is beyond a reach, it is shameful. I will vote for the Obama/Biden ticket this year.

October 5, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  7. Steve

Bush
    Cheney
    McCain = UNAMERICAN DISASTER
    Palin

They took the tax payers money and gave it to the rich and took the rich bad debt and gave it to the tax payers!

October 5, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  8. heather4Obama

Since Palin has been nominated she seems to be doing all the work..where is McCain and what is he saying....OH I C...Nothing. Exactly how he is now he will be then...Nothing...Too Old to Keep UP!!! Needs a nurse to wheel him around and talk for him...Ha Ha

October 5, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  9. Global J

I totally agree with Lisa and the other commentator!
    Americans, please wake up!!!
    Obama (and Biden) are trying to lead the USA in a new direction. They are showing incredible restraint , I believe, and are demonstrably more aware of the challenges that lie ahead for the country.
    A stark contrast, I suggest, to MCCain and six pack Sarah, who are now resorting to the very worst kind of gutter politics and scaremongering in order to try and "revive" their struggling campaign..
    Obama/ Biden = a bridge to a brighter future.
    McCain/Palin = a bridge to nowhere (or worse)/ Bush/Cheney Part 2

October 5, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  10. Oakland99

This is one of Obama's best ads. It's spot on, focusing on what is important and not Gov. Palin's gibberish about Ayers, a non-issue.

October 5, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  11. Joe in MN

Putting the focus on, where the focus should have been the last 8 years, instead of warmongering.

Obama/Biden

October 5, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  12. bigbubba

I am not sure that it will take any effort to get attention on the economy.

I worked for Boeing on the US Tanker. McCain wrote the defense department and had the rules changed on the tanker bids. The bid then awarded 54,000 American jobs to France. Mine was one of them. I am a 62 year old handicapped worker. My unemployment runs out at the time of the election.

I am going to lose my home and have to move into a trailer on a friends property. My step-daughter and her 2 year old son are currently living in my basement. When i have to get out of my house they are going to be on the streets.

My wife is a brittle diabetic (Two types of insulin every day) who can't get much in the way of health care. Thanks to being unemployed, I have no health care. I am not quite handicapped enough to qualify for disability Social Security. So I am going to have to take early social security, just to pay for the meds we need to stave off death a while.

I don't think John McCain's plan does anything for me but measure me for a pine box. And I don't think it will take much to get me to focus on the economy.

October 5, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  13. Rob

Message to gov. Palin and senator McCain:

"It's the economy, stupid!"

October 5, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  14. independent in Texas

Oh please McCain..it IS all about the economy stupid ! what your spouting is OLD news, proven false yet by factcheck.com..whats your next october surprise ? there no longer is any doubt in my mind who is most stable with soundest judgement, and it isnt you McCain OR your Palin..
    voting OBAMA
    fed up with LIES and distraction and distortion...

October 5, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  15. Marie

oBAMA NEED TO KEEP DOING WHAT HE IS DOING BECAUSE HE IS FOR EVERYONE NOT JUST THE RICH AND FAMOUS . MCCLAIN IS NOT TRYING TO HELP NO ONE BUT HIMSELF. I WONDER WHO IS REALLY RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT. SEEM TO ME IT IS SARAH AND TODD, MCCLAIN IS JUST THE HOUSE PUPPY BEING LEAD BY A SO CALL PRETTY FACE.

WHEN YOU HAVE TO STOOP SO LOW TO STRAIGHT OUT LIE AND MAKE UP LIES TO DESTROY SOME LIFE, SARAH CLAIM SHE IS FAMILY ORIENTED, SHE MUST NOT BE. HOW WOULD SHE FEEL IF SOMEONE TALK ABOUT HER THAT WAY AND TELL H ER CHILDREN. THEN SHE WOULD BE CRYING HOW SHE IS BEING MISTREATED AND WE ARE SUPPOSED TO FEEL SORRY FOR HER BECAUSE SHE HAS A CHILD WITH DISABILTY.

SARAH PROBLEM DO NOT KNOW WHAT BEING A TRUE WORKING PARENT WITH A FAMILY AND A CHILD WITH DISABILTY. THAT IS EVERY DAY LIFE FOR THE MAJORITY OF SINGLE PARENTS AND GRANDPARENTS THAT IS KEEP THEIR CHILDRENS. WE HAVE TO WORK SOMETIMES TWO OR THREE JOBS TO MAKE ENDS MEET. WE HAVE TO PAY FOR CHILD CARE AND WE ARE MAKING IT ON THE LOWEST ABOUT OF WAGES.

OBAMA AND BIDEN BOTH KNOW WHAT IT IS TO NOT HAVE MONEY BUT THE ONE THINGS THAT THEY HAVE THAT SARAH AND MCCLAIN DO NOT HAVE IS WORTH MORE THAN MONEY-THE ABILTY TO TEACH THEIR CHILDREN ABOUT LOVE FOR THE FELLOW MAN .

October 5, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  16. Clinton Supporter

McCain is erratic – and changes positions as politics warrant. That doesn't distinguish him from his opponent, however.

What DOES distinguish him is his crazy choice of Palin, his pandering to oil interests and Wall Street thieves for years on end.

There is no way that McCain can distance himself from the Bush years. I planned to vote for him as a protest to the treatment Hillary Clinton received, but I cannot afford that luxury any more.

And neither can YOU!

October 5, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  17. Alex

This is leadership...keep focusing on the economy. Go Obama. Do not go down McCain road and bring out that McCain was chasing woman at that time. The old man is in desperate mode.

October 5, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  18. Oregon for Obama

"Country First" !!!!!! Then Goofus and Moosey should tuck up their tails (plus tall tales), give the rest of the states to Obama and get lost!!!!!!

October 5, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  19. Lee S

I can't believe that we are suffering the biggest potential crisis since the great depression and McCain thinks that Americans are interested in mud slinging. If this achieves anything it will turn me away from voting for him. I would like to know what he would do to solve it. Don't send Palin out, she hasn't go a clue.

October 5, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  20. susie

Character is a big issue. Obama has done nothing to help his brother who lives in a hut on $12 a year. If he didn't help him, how is he going to help or care about us?

October 5, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  21. HyperD

Another McStunt here... NO WE ARE NOT GOING TO FORGET THAT REPUBLICANS BANKRUPTED THIS COUNTRY..! If you actually read the article in NYT you'll see that they say that THERE WAS NO ACTUAL CONNECTIONS, so Palin is lying, once again. I'm tired of McCains dirty tactics. Obviously he can't win speaking the truth and about himself, so they have to LIE. No way, no how, No McCain..!

October 5, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  22. gamma

McCain you better focus on economic rather than wasting your time on personal attack, it won't help you. Just remember an old lady in Ohio who shot her self because of the mortgage crisis.

October 5, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  23. alvino

John McCain is a lackey for the real brains in their ticket, the scholarly Sarah Palin. They have yet to address an issue facing us. But I do enjoy Sarah's middle school mind set, reaching out to the 14 year olds for support.

October 5, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  24. American for obama------

Let talk about McCain's connections with keating 5 which cost tax payers $2 billion..........................and Todd palin's connection with the AIP that does not want to see alaska as part of america..................and Sarah palin's connection with Pat Buchanan who hates jews.

October 5, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  25. Voter

McCain is getting desperate if he has to run attacks instead of illustrating what HE WOULD DO for this country.

Every time he talks about himself, he talks about him rather than policies he'd have. That's ego, not leadership.

October 5, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |