October 5th, 2008

New Obama ad tries to focus nation's attention on the economy

The Obama campaign released another Sunday that has economic themes.
The Obama campaign released another Sunday that has economic themes.

(CNN) – With a month until Election Day, the Obama campaign is trying keep voters’ attention focused on their pocketbooks and retirement savings accounts.

In “This Year,” the latest in a string of Obama ads with economic themes, the Democratic nominee uses images of locked factory gates and anxiety on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange. “Erratic in a crisis. Out of touch on the economy,” the ad says as images of Sen. John McCain getting off an airplane and riding a golf cart appear on screen.

The commercial comes amid talk of McCain preparing to adopt a more aggressive strategy in the final month of the general election campaign, first reported Saturday in the Washington Post.

“Struggling families can’t turn the page on this economy,” the ad says.

The McCain campaign has not responded to CNN's request for comment about "This Year."

The new ad will begin airing Monday on national cable outlets, according to the Obama campaign.

(Full script after the jump)

Script, "This Year," 30 seconds, national cable:

ANNCR: Three quarters of a million jobs lost this year.

Our financial system in turmoil.

And John McCain? Erratic in a crisis. Out of touch on the economy.

No wonder his campaign’s announced a plan to “turn a page on the financial crisis”…distract with dishonest, dishonorable “assaults” against Barack Obama.

Struggling families can’t turn the page on this economy…and we can’t afford another President who’s this out of touch.

Obama: I’m Barack Obama and I approve this message.

1. A. Howard

McCain seems to riding on the skirttail on Palin. How said. Remove the one and only thing that has been able to energized his campaign and McCain is nothing. All of his life he's needed to cling to "so called beauty queens" to boost his ego and his need to control. Then walked away from his wife because she no longer could fulful that need.. The man is
    unstable, unable, and suffers from "PMS" (Pathetic Male Syndrome)

October 5, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  2. auggie

mccain palin just DON'T GET IT, "ITS THE ECONOMY STUPID!

October 5, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  3. markymark22

Open your eyes Obama supporters... Your Democrat controlled Congress has done nothing.

October 5, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  4. Susan--Kentucky

Recent comments and actions from the McPalin camp show how erratic and dangerously unpredictable John McCain really is: He pulls out of Michigan without even consulting his vice-presidential candidate and now sends her to play the nasty rumor-monger to direct attention away from what everyone really cares about: the economy.
    On the other hand, Obama still manages to remain focused on the issues that really matter: the economy and the future of our country.
    Who is putting "country first" now? Not John McCain.

October 5, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  5. SCforObama

I was so upset about Sarah Palin's distortions (aka lies) that I couldn't go to church today. How can someone who claims she is a born-again lie so blatantly. Last time I went to church (last week), I checked my Bible and "Thou shalt not lie" was still one of the Ten Commandments.

On other subject, an elderly gentleman came up to me yesterday while I was doing voter registration. He told me that Bill O'Reilly had stated that women don't like Sarah Palin because they're jealous of her. Get real. I don't like her because she is destroying the work I did in the Federal Government proving that women were as competent as men.

October 5, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  6. Caitlin

Republican then, undecided now October 5th, 2008 12:16 pm ET

I have always voted republican because of my shared views with the ticket as they relate to right-to-life, gay marriage, and fiscal responsibility. I have come to realize that these issues however, should not be the guiding principle and who I cast my lot with, particularly given the current market conditions. McCain and Palin's decision to ignore the issue and not develop clear strategies to confront the economy is troubling. Linking Obama to terrorists is beyond a reach, it is shameful. I will vote for the Obama/Biden ticket this year.
    ====================

you sound like a paid Obama blogger to me!

October 5, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  7. judy mitchell

Women of America – WAKE UP! You cannot get even by supporting Palin. There are any number of US cities with population over 660,000. Austin, Memphis, Milwaukee are some. Does that qualify their mayors to be VP? Of course not! Just because the GOP has a woman running for the 2nd highest office in the land, doesn't mean its a good thing. Can't you find another way to get your ideas across without just blindly voting for a party because they have a woman on their ticket. Ms. Palin will not accomplish what you think she will. She's just not qualified! Plain and simple! There are hundreds of other more qualified women McCain could have chosen. Its just ludicrous and it certainly is making our gender look stupid and spiteful. Certainly not looking out for the welfare of our great nation.

October 5, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  8. Brigit

The McSame camp has run out of bullets & is throwing the gun. Every time John & Sarah lie, slander & divert attention, they show yet again how they have nothing to offer the American people. Rather than lead towards a positive solution, all they do is make ugly attacks against Obama proving yet again & again how they are not qualified, competent or deserving to be the president & vp.

I'm glad to see Obama is keeping the focus on what is important...the economy & the issues. I don't agree with Obama on everything but he's so obviously the better choice... intelligent, educated, diplomatic & FOCUSED.

October 5, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  9. seth

There is no reason for Americans to start thinking that they have their act together and that a person with experience would guarantee to steer the country back in control. Americans are discouraged, tired, hopeless and need to be re-energized by a lively young person willing to take on the challenges of this country. I believe Obama will help us recover from losing hope in ourselves. Since when does America's economy, security, stability feel threaten than now. I mean we are about to lose the "power house" "No.1" status in the world people....we dont want to be set back again! Its time for a new strategy! No more 8 years of disappointment and false hopes! God Bless America and God bless Obama! I've been republican 12 years and no more...i say no sir...no more!

October 5, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  10. Obama = Pelosi

The erratic person in this election is barack Obama - he is lying to the American Public about his tax plans ( US cannot afford it); The ending of the War on a fixed schedule (he will follow the advice of his millitary on the ground – dame as McCain); and his health care plans (cannot afford it). Obama's economic plans will increase our deficit, devalue the US Dollary against all other countries thereby increasing the cost of imports and devaluing the cost of exports. This will, in turn, wil cost thousands of jobs -

October 5, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  11. Rose

Erratic in Crises???? Look who is talking. Obama can't even step up to the plate and give a precise opinion without talking to his advisors.
    What would happen if he has to make a decision immediately?? Sure it is good to talk to advisors but one would think that if he wants to be the President he should be able to respond indepentely he is the one that is erratic in crises. The recent Georgia issue is a prime example of his inability to respond. Obama campaign throws around some so called facts that are not all together true, Check the voitng record of McCain as mentioned by Biden in the recent debate, at least two or three he cited were incorrect. Why doesn't CNN post those errors???
    I am betting CNN won't post this comment, any anti Obama posts get dumped....

October 5, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  12. Peter (CA)

This is what an election should be about. The issues facing this country are what matters. But I would love for some 527 group to put out an ad calling Palin a liar for making up false accusations.

So, "Democrats trust McCain": Are you going to provide some facts? Any facts? Or are you just going to spew the bile that the RNC feeds you?
    Trying to be civil and rational during this election has gotten us nowhere apparently if these clowns can continue this stuff.

October 5, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  13. JB

I find it interesting that a guy with ZERO experience will become President because of the MY SPACERS who don't even know the basics about politics. And these idiots are voting the way they are because Linday Lohan told them to vote for Obama.

There should be a test to make sure you understand how are political system works.

By the way(if you watched lastngith), even the liberal biased Saturday Night Live understands that this economic crisis exists because of Democrats. All these yahoo children on this site continue to cover their ears and yell "George Bush". If you had any clue you would know that R's tried to curb fannie and freddie in 05. But the Bidens and Obamas voted against it.

Clinton made legal mortgaged backed securities, not GW.

I hope we don't end up screwed with a guy who has never accomplished anything politically (Obama). And if so, maybe you won't take political advice from celebrities!

October 5, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  14. Eve 4 Obama

Obama is the true leader. Sticking to the issue that is worrying America instead of "attacking the other candidate's judgement and character".

Go Obama/Biden 08!

October 5, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  15. Speider

Have you noticed lately that the CNN ticker allows comments on some ticker articles but not others? Have you noticed that some articles allow several hundred response posts while others allow only a dozen or even less before closing to posted comments?

Why is that, CNN?

October 5, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  16. Candice, Texas

Looks like Obama is sticking to the issues while McCain is resorting to THE SAME old dirty politics... What kind of reform and change is that Gov Palin?!!!!

October 5, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  17. david in Roslyn

I am disgusted with the McCain smear tactics. I Hope that the Obama's camp continues to focus on the issues and qualifications of the opponent and not attack McCain's character.

October 5, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  18. Erin Gilliland

I am a female free-lance musician living in Columbus Ohio. I have my DMA from the Florida State University, and I teach at Otterbein College near Columbus. As an adjunct at that school, I am not provided health insurance. I am also a free-lance musician, and have been working steadily with the Columbus Symphony Orchestra for several years. This has supplemented my income enough to make a basic, decent living, but our orchestra has been out of work for 7 months now. The reason for this was financial problems, and a board and local government that basically doesn't care...especially in light of the disaster that our economy is in.

I was just watching CNN where you had two female pundits, and I wanted to throw up. Quite frankly, and I'm sure I'm not alone here based on my conversations with nearly everyone, If I got a check for 5 thousand, I'd use that money to help with my finances. I'm pretty young, and basically no health problems...Yet. But that is what I'd do with the money...

Maybe this is awful for me to say...but it does seem that the women that McCain has on his side are awfully pretty. This pundit on his side that I was listening to...pretty. Sara Palin...pretty. Honestly, I'm sort of wondering why McCain didn't ask this woman to join him as his VP. At least she's clearly intelligent...however misguided.

Mostly...all I feel these days is a gigantic sense of yick. I hope Obama wins...it's the best thing for us all.

October 5, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  19. PROUD AMERICAN FOR OBAMA

Senator McCain, in March you said that you were not going to run a negative campaign, but you lied! You used to be a hero now you look like a big fat zero. It's sad that a "maverick" like you didn't even pick your own running mate! I think all Americans want and need a president that shows grace under fire. That man is PRESIDENT OBAMA!!!!!

October 5, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  20. A NATION OF WINERS for OBAMA

THE MORON & VICE-MORON NOMINEES WOULD LIKE

US TO FOCUS ON THE SEX LIVES OF BIRDS IF POSSIBLE.

NOT A BAD IDEA IF YOU HAD THEIR RECORD & IQS.

October 5, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  21. Anna PA

Hey, the person who say's your a democrat who trusts McCain.....

YOUR AN IDIOT!!!!

October 5, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  22. I Just Said Thanks, but No Thanks to Another 4 Years of g.o.p. corruption, arrogance and incompetence

Gosh darn it, that awesome Obama is pals with terrorists and I'm gonna tell the people that we mavericks are gonna shake up Washington and stop those terrorists and their friends, saying never again to uppity terrorists pal lovers . . .

So how's your 401 K, America?

October 5, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  23. David

To Bat 242: What about an adulterous old man, thief (Keating5) old man who cries at mention of Dwight Eisenhower and Ronald Reagan and would love to take you back to those easier times. Old man yelling at the clouds and ready to pull his pistol if one is out of formation. Oh yes that is the man to lead this country along with the "pitbull" moose hunter hockey mom. You are so uninformed and hatefull.

October 5, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  24. Mark

Naah, McSame is not erratic. Saying he wants what is best for the country and then naming a totally unqualified individual, with no national experience, as his VP is not erratic. Saying he must suspend his campaign and cease debating because of the financial crisis, and then going to DC to do nothing but worsen the situation, and then returning to the campaign trail to debate is not erratic.

McSame has shown his true colors. McSame is showing signs of dementia. McSame is a war hero, but McSame is not fit to be President.

October 5, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  25. alvino

Obama deals with issues, McCain and Palin launch untrue character attacks. Johan and Sarah are meant for each other.

October 5, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |