October 6th, 2008

New Mexico poll update: Obama has the advantage

A new poll shows Obama ahead in New Mexico.
A new poll shows Obama ahead in New Mexico.

(CNN) - A new poll out Monday shows Barack Obama holding a slight advantage over John McCain in New Mexico, one of the most closely-fought presidential battlegrounds in the last two election cycles.

According to the new survey from the Albuquerque Journal, Obama holds a 5-point lead over the Arizona senator there, 45 percent to 40 percent, with 15 percent still undecided. The poll carries a margin of error of plus or minus 3.8 percentage points.

CNN Electoral Map Calculator: You call the race

The state narrowly voted for Al Gore in 2000, and for George Bush in 2004. CNN’ Electoral Map considers New Mexico to be "leaning Obama” this year.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. independent in Texas

Why cant we mainstream americans simply be told what each canidate plans to DO, to help get this horrible economy back on track...thats all I want to hear..HOW..detail your plans canidates..tell me HOW you plan to keep me from losing my home, put gas in my car to go look for a JOB, keep food on table, pay for meds..this is what is important..tell me HOW
    so far McCain hasnt said HOW..Obams has started disclosing his plans..
    Texas independent

October 6, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  2. A CANUCK

Barack Obama....I am so proud of the way you are running your campaign !!!........McCain has proved he is not an honorable man....by choosing Palen for his VP........he has put his campaign before his country.....Poor McCain ....he's a legend "in his own mind"
    OBAMA&BIDEN2008/12

October 6, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  3. jfs Memhis, Tn

After the events on the Stock Market TODAY..... New Mexico is just the beginning. We cannot suffer another 8 years of this nonsense.

October 6, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  4. karen

Yes, Yes, Yes! Finally, some sanity! Obama/Biden is truly the only sane choice we have!

October 6, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  5. Jim in Indiana

Is it rue that the Palins own a car dealership in Alaska, but all they sell are Ford Mavericks?

October 6, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  6. C E H S

Do any of you nobama idiots notice that almost all of the comments are pro-nobama, and you probably think that they are all true. I hope all of you will enjoy living under socialistic rule, and you know that it begins with a slanted press and tv, just to keep you all happy. Of course this won't get shown, but in case, you will be wishing you never heard the name nobama. You are all so stupid....

October 6, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  7. Emma

Way to go Senator Obama! I predict it is going to be a landslide on November 4 and our first AA President..............President Elect Obama!

October 6, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  8. George James

McCaine and Palin are desperate.Any sane person knows that Obama is more intelligent,less lying,more patriotic and more charismatic than the 'so called' mavericks.More of lies in the last moment cannot save Palin and McCaine.YOU SHOLD BE ASHAMED OF YOUR LIES, PALIN...

October 6, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  9. BM

Republicans and Democrats know what time it is. McSame you and Palin are deperate idiots! Pailin want do interviews because she lacks knowledg and McSame only knows how to attack, not win wars.

October 6, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  10. M. Winners

If the voters in New Mexico understand what Obama's forward looking – problem solving campaign is all about then there's hope for the rest of America too!

NO more "fear, smear, mock and LIES" from the old guy – ENOUGH! Talk about the issues and how you will solve the crisis we are in repugs! America's hurting and all your offering up today is slime.

October 6, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  11. Nancy in Charlotte, NC

@Olivia:

Are you recommending Hannity & Friends as a reliable piece of journalism with no bias? Because if you are – HA HA! People cry about MSM being biased for Obama. If Satan was a Republican, Fox News would make excuses for his behavior and endorse him without reservations.

October 6, 2008 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  12. tomagoose

If you want to learn about John McCain, pick up the latest Rolling Stone Magazine. There is a VERY eye opening article about him that pieces together all the bits and pieces of of information I have heard about him over these last two years and wondered if it was true and consistent with his own memoirs. I'm an indepedent voter and like to see both sides of the story. I'm going to vote for the lesser of the two evils and that is Barack Obama.

John McCain, I feel sorry for you. It's hard to live up to expectations of your forefathers, but you've had 72 years to make a change in that man in the mirror. And I doubt at this late stage of the game you will.

October 6, 2008 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  13. slimjoe

Lets forget about the poll.We all remembered the "Bradley Effect" in California.Media is trying to make this a Done deal for barack obama.Obama campaign is not stupid to relax.My prediction for this election is either a close election won by Mccain or a landslide win for obama.

October 6, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  14. Samuel

This is not a surprise. The surprise will be Texas going blue. Yes, you are reading this right, Texas baby.

Obama/Biden 08

October 6, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  15. Thomas

I wonder if McCain will be re-elected as a Senator after this mess?

I think this election will finally spell the retirement of McCain from politics.

I really can't imagine Arizona voting for this guy for Senator next time.

October 6, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  16. C.Johnson

The celebration of mediocracy in America is appalling, Sarah Palin is not fit to Vice President, her lack of knowledge on the issues and unprofessional demeanor while trying to obtain the second most important job in america is very offensive to me and to alot of other people I know. I am concerned about the issues, and so is everyone else. I was dissappointed with Gwen Ifle for not making her answer the questions, and also, because she chose not to answer and stated that she wanted to talk to America about her record. Excuse me , but we are past that, and I want a firm understanding of how McCain and Palin plan to reform our economy, schools, healtcare, job rate etc. AT this point and time they have done neither, and I cannot wait until Nov. 4th to put this to rest!!!

October 6, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  17. McHoover Would Destroy What's Left of America

The facts are out there and what the McCain camp miscalculated again is people are much more Internet savvy than in 2000 or 2004.

Tell a lie and people can prove you wrong within 60 seconds!

If McCain/Palin keep this up, Obama is going to have a HUGE landslide Nov 4th.

October 6, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  18. linda

They better go blue if they want anything done for them-republicans haven't done what they said-don't believe the hipe make good judgement and vote not for mccann he has no morals and nothing for you you saw how they just up and left Michagen without paying anything the money they could have spent in Michagan did not occur=so what do that say about the republican party where he figure he cannot win they just jump ship and will do the same in your state-so don't be fooled by them again-how much progress have you made with the republican party what have they done for Mexico? Palon don't know what she is talking about all her notes are written for her she knows only what they tell and show her. on paper I too can reherse,& memorize what is on paper & that is all she does is reherse. She is not any kind of politican material for us U.S. ciitzens,if she gets it we all are :"DEAD". and she knows it, her whole demener is awful this is a joke to her to be made out to be funny as you can see she is all about jokes.but we will have the last laugh on Nov.4th. Palon is pitiful.

October 6, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  19. nick q

Go Obama/Biden! Here in Virginia, more Obama signs are being put up and more McCain/Palin signs are being taken down. People of New Mexico, many of us are counting on you to swing your state blue.

I'm a young half-white, half-hispanic mormon centrist and I'm giving my full support to Obama.

October 6, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  20. GV in Kentucky

The only brainwashing attempt going on is the one by the hopeless and hapless Republicans to get people to think that any Republican programs, initiatives, policies, etc are good in this climate. The Republicans are hopelessly on the brink of historic extinction. They hold onto ideas of the past and have no idea of how to govern today. Just like the law of evolution that they all discount, time and progress favors those who can adapt to the conditions. When the Republicans have these two characters at the top of their ballots in our national elections, it show the best they can do is very poor indeed. The asteroid is coming, and the Republican dinosaurs face extinction.

October 6, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  21. Bitter in Texas

LAWDY....I love it if we could turn Texas BLUE, then I'd do a real "happy dance"

October 6, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  22. Al, NY NY

C H E S and Olivia: CHES... for 8 years Duh-bya and his minions have tried to rule this country under a theocracy, not caring that there's a huge portion of this country that is NOT christian. No matter to them... push your values on everyone regardless. To Olivia. If you think Obama or any other Democrat would get any kind of postive or even tepid consideration by that Faux news GOP shill, you are out of your mind. He will go to his grave thinking Dimwit Bush/criminal Cheney/ and the rest are doing great.

October 6, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  23. John

Republicans are scared. Obviously the economy isn't going to go away. Look at the market right now...we're down over 500 points (and below 10,000 for the first time in 4 years). Nobody cares about Ayers...they care that their investments are now worth nothing!

See ya McMaverick!

October 6, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  24. lewis

we in kenya realised this man is great.I dont know what you guys are waiting for Obama08

October 6, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  25. Monica from Albuquerque

Everybody I know (except for two people) are voting for OBAMA. New Mexico is ready to turn the State BLUE!!!

OBAMANOS!!!!