October 6th, 2008

New Mexico poll update: Obama has the advantage

A new poll shows Obama ahead in New Mexico.
A new poll shows Obama ahead in New Mexico.

(CNN) - A new poll out Monday shows Barack Obama holding a slight advantage over John McCain in New Mexico, one of the most closely-fought presidential battlegrounds in the last two election cycles.

According to the new survey from the Albuquerque Journal, Obama holds a 5-point lead over the Arizona senator there, 45 percent to 40 percent, with 15 percent still undecided. The poll carries a margin of error of plus or minus 3.8 percentage points.

CNN Electoral Map Calculator: You call the race

The state narrowly voted for Al Gore in 2000, and for George Bush in 2004. CNN’ Electoral Map considers New Mexico to be "leaning Obama” this year.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Tommy

@deb in az

Deb, what do you think we have now with the bush administration regarding the banking and wall street financial bailout? Get your facts straight before you start blabbing off about Obama giving us socialism. We've already got it with bush!

October 6, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  2. Chuck

Of course he does, and you will hear this more and more as the election gets closer and closer. The republicans will also get more and more desperate. They will start attacking Obama's character, (what a christian act) that is the only weapon they have left. Maybe they should start praying that "God" speaks to them and tells them what to do next. I'm sure he would agree with their tactics as long as it is done in a christian manner. "NOT"

October 6, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  3. Shirley

If McCain/Palin ticket will only talk about a plan and how they are going to help us then that will be the turning point. They rather talk about what Palin call backward. Well folks that is what Palin is doing backward. Let's stop all the past and go forward and that means Palin/McCain future. Negaitve ads are the past now let's see what you got for forward/future.

October 6, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  4. Bob Indianapolis IN

BLUE from sea to shining sea! Some scared candidates are actually trying to have the "R" removed from the ballots, so no one knows their party affiliation. REPUBLICAN= DEFEAT!

October 6, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  5. lyn for Obama & Biden

McCain you and Palin attact Obama this weekend for something that was all lies. Well it's about time to hear the truth about your dealings with the keating five. Palin instead of telling the people about how we can put food on the table for our family, health care etc. she was busy attacting Obama with lies. We know that you have no solution on the economy so instead McCain you attact Obama. You only want to win, we the people is not stupid.

October 6, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  6. BM

Blue is my favorite color now and always has been.
    Palin forgot her lipstick and she should have had that "bridge to nowhere" so she will have a straigth shot back to Alaska!

October 6, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  7. James

The McShame camp was at the college football game this past Saturday, and displaying their banners and trying to make a case for McShame, but the Obama camp was out in full force too. McShame supporters were getting heckled and taunted. We dared McShame supporters to try and convince us to vote McShame, but of course they didn't succeed. They tried to feed us all the campaign lies. We were in their face telling them we're voting Obama! Yep New Mexico is going blue. All of my friends are Obama supporters!

October 6, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  8. LS

Well McCain supporters, looks like you all are outnumbered by people who are ready for a real and positive change that only Obama and Biden are going to be able to deliver.

McCain and Palin are just bad, bad news, and a high majority of people see this.

October 6, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  9. Gadissa

bye bye MacCain. I'm not stupid to listen to your lies. Bye- Bye Base and MacCane and who is she the veep I mean the lady who is hiding from the jornalists. because she is like a tape recorder she talks when they turn on the battreis. These are loosers.

October 6, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  10. James in NJ

I am voting on Nov 4th for Barack Obama and Joe Biden. History will be made and I want to tell my kids that I voted in that historic election!

Raise the IQ of Washington,
    Obama/Biden in 08!

October 6, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  11. JJ

Obama supporters: Let's not get complacent and act like Obama has already won. We have about 30 days before the election and more than ever it's important to get out there and do our part and that is to VOTE!
    BARACK THE VOTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 6, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  12. AJ

As we dig the hole deeper...
    I have lost all confidence in the American electorate. One bad choice after another. Now we will find out AFTER he is elected that Obama is all style and no substance. What a shame.

October 6, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  13. Maggie from Virginia

Virginia will also go blue this year... McCain supporters may as well start raising the white flag. Game over!

October 6, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  14. Matt

I am veyr impressed by the Obama campaigns ability to turn these red states blue.

October 6, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  15. Anonymous

as an OHIOAN i'm predicting that will be the next state to go BLUE. i 'll be glad when he pull his campaign out of this state, i'm sick of his lies, and unsubstantive ads, they say nothing about what his vision is for america, maybe it's because he has lost sight of the real issues that matter

October 6, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  16. Independent for BO - PA

The GOP campaign strategy: FEAR & SMEAR.
    Don't be fooled by them and look out for an "October Surprise"
    it's definitely coming!

October 6, 2008 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  17. ANGELA MCEWAN

WAY TO GO OBAMA! PALIN SOUND LIKE A THIRD GRADER, THAT REPEATED ITSELF WITH LIES, MCCAIN SO DESPIRATE, THEY WOULD DO ANYTHING TO BE IN THE WHITE HOUSE, MCCAIN NEED THE WHITE HOUSE FOR HIS OWN PERSONAL REASONS, NOT FOR THE AMERICAN PEOPLE, OBAMA IS FOR THE PEOPLE, OBAMA AND MITCHELL MAKES ME GOOD, I CANT WAIT FOR NOV 4, 2008 TO SEE THEM IN THE WHITE HOUSE, AFTER OBAMA PRESIDENCE, PALIN I WOUND LOVE TO SEE YOU RUN WITH THE GREAT HILIARY.

October 6, 2008 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  18. Sara

I can't wait until Obama wins and fixes the economy. I can't wait until dumb and dummer go back to Alaska and Arizona. I don't really care about this guy Ari they are talking about I care about my job and my able to sustain my finances and take care of my three children and two older parents.

October 6, 2008 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  19. Eric from NM

I'm working hard here with the local Obama stations and we're all tearing it up working long hours to get this state to go blue.

Everything I've personally seen leads me to believe Obama's got this state, but we have to keep on top of it and we're doing the best we can. We need more volunteers though.

October 6, 2008 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  20. idiots for McPalin

Palin you are really too old to use your body to get votes. Stop winking, and blowing kisses into the audience at the debate, it made a lot of decent people throw up. You are old, and you are supposed to be professional and you weren't. I am totally disgusted by this woman, the more we hear the worse she is. I won't be surprised if Palin/McCain threatened people to say she did not do anything wrong in the TROOPER-Gate scandal.

October 6, 2008 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  21. RealVoter

When McCain was called Bush's 3rd by Obama, he didn't just said as political slogan but it has some weight and lot more truths. McCain certainly lost it and Palin has screwed it up even more.

October 6, 2008 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  22. Kizzy

The republican congress had been in charge for 12-years straight except since January 2007. The republicans had executive power for the last almost 8-years. It is time to try something different, hence anything but republicans. There is an indepedent study out that proves the economy overall is better off with democrats in the office. The initial study was out to prove the opposite.

Data for the whole period from 1948 to 2007, during which Republicans occupied the White House for 34 years and Democrats for 26, show average annual growth of real gross national product of 1.64 percent per capita under Republican presidents versus 2.78 percent under Democrats.

Over the entire 60-year period, income inequality trended substantially upward under Republican presidents but slightly downward under Democrats, thus accounting for the widening income gaps over all

October 6, 2008 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  23. odame

Does McCain and his Republican party think we are stupid? Nahhh we know that they have destroyed the American economy. They should stop calling Obama terrorist and talk about how they can fix the economy. For the first time in my life, i'm voting for democrats.

October 6, 2008 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  24. Rita of Dallas

I think it is really sad what McCain has stooped to. That is what happens when you have Bush people running the campaign. Just think what the next four years will be like if McCain wins. It is a sad day when so many Americans are willing to believe what all is coming from his campaign. So much for Country First. I may lose my job and if that happens I could lose everything I have worked for. I need answers, not more dirt and lies. So much for being Christian.

October 6, 2008 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  25. Angelo

The good news is that McCain has now gone to the Karl Rove's playbook of smearing.

THis is not going to work!!! We have an economic crisis yet McCain wants us to get into a smearing contest? REMEMBER THAT FOLKS!!!

McCain's has 30 days left on his GIMMICK FIRST campaign.

I can't wait until Nov4. No more gimmicks!!!

October 6, 2008 11:03 am at 11:03 am |