October 6th, 2008

Palin raises Rev. Wright

Gov. Palin spoke about Obama's ties to Rev. Wright in an interview.
Gov. Palin spoke about Obama's ties to Rev. Wright in an interview.

(CNN) – Sarah Palin has increasingly embraced the attack dog role on the Republican ticket – but in a new interview, she seems to endorse a line of attack John McCain had distanced himself from earlier this year.

The Republican VP nominee told Bill Kristol of the New York Times that Obama's long-time relationship with minister Jeremiah Wright should be a bigger issue on the campaign trail. "I don't know why that association isn't discussed more," she said.

Watch: Wright situation 'difficult' Obama says

"Because those were appalling things that that pastor had said about our great country, and to have sat in the pews for 20 years and listened to that - with, I don't know, a sense of condoning it, I guess, because he didn't get up and leave - to me, that does say something about character," said Palin. ".I guess that would be a John McCain call on whether he wants to bring that up."

Watch: Obama hits back after Palin accuses him of 'palling around with terrorists'

When the North Carolina Republican Party launched a television ad this spring taking aim at Obama's ties to Wright, McCain first repudiated the attack. "I've said again and again, I do not believe that Sen. Obama shares Rev. Wright's extremist views which he has stated, whether it be the United States Marine Corps or the flag or what," McCain said. "I am leaving that issue to a dialogue between Sen. Obama and American people."

He added that all he could do, "in as visible way as possible, is disassociate myself from that kind of campaigning."

But McCain soon signaled that he might have changed his position on whether state Republican parties or downballot GOP candidates should exploit the Wright issue in local campaigns, suggesting that he had shifted his stance after Obama told an interviewer that the controversy surrounding his ex-pastor was "a legitimate political issue."

"As I said before, I am of the belief that Sen. Obama does not reflect the extremist statements that Rev. Wright has given," McCain told reporters. "I have no comments on it, but I also understand why millions of Americans may, as Sen. Obama said yesterday, view this as a political issue."

Still, the issue has not been major fodder on the trail since McCain himself dealt with fallout from the endorsements of headline-grabbing pastors this spring. Reports of controversial statements by evangelical leaders John Hagee and Rod Parsley ultimately led him to reject the backing of both men.

Filed under: 2008 Election • Sarah Palin
  1. Gary in High Point

All Palin can do is repeat the the Talking Points fed to her by her Bush/McCain handlers.
    She is a Barbie Doll filled with data doing a data dump. No more.

October 6, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  2. Spencer from VA

She better hope that Sen. McCain loses. Because if he became president and something were to happen to him, the C.I.A. will not allow her to run this country. They will take her out!!!

October 6, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  3. Lorna, NY

The McCain campaign is PATHETIC! The McCain of 2000 would not have approved of the McCain of 2008.

October 6, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  4. Army Vet in Charlotte

Way to stick to the issues, folks. I didn't know Jeremiah Wright was running for president.

With the finance industry in meltdown and people losing jobs and homes... this is important, why?

Palin is pathetic.

October 6, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  5. WinObama

Well, of course, she'll embrace this. If she can just attack like a junkyard dog, she doesn't have to talk policy issues that she doesn't understand.

October 6, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  6. Roy B

Sarah, Let's talk about you stonewalling Troopergate and with regard to Sen. McCain, let's talk about Charles Keating!! You have nothing of substance to say!

October 6, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  7. TM in Colorado

Hey The Dude – That may be true, but the whole point of people's frustration with the woman is the fact that she doesn't have a clue what she is talking about...........................

October 6, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  8. Matt

Yet another well thought, deeply researched issue from Gov. Palin.

Why the GOP is endorsing this white trash hillbilly is beyond me.

October 6, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  9. Miss Piggy

I smell fear!!

October 6, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  10. Bob Indianapolis IN

Check out Caribou Barbie's apocalyptic minister casting out witches on YouTube! You wanna play dueling weird ministers, babe?

"Anchorage, Alaska – Seven aides to Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin have reversed course and agreed to testify in an investigation into whether the Republican vice presidential nominee abused her powers by firing a commissioner who refused to dismiss her former brother-in-law.

There is no indication, however, that Palin or her husband will now agree to testify in the legislative inquiry, which has dogged her for the past several months and could hurt John McCain in the final weeks of the presidential race." [from the AP]

October 6, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  11. Christy

it's a sad day in this country. Sarah Palin is ringing the bell for the Hungry Wolves to come to dinner and we are all falling for it.

I am so distressed by this negative campaign tactic and do not wish to watch anymore CNN or any other channel until after electiond ay.

October 6, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  12. bridgette

This is just a thought, but, is it possible that we can hear any kind of plan from Palin and McCain. Can we know where they stand on any of the issues. All we know where they stand is they stand agianst Obama. That does not tell me anything. This late in the game I should know where he stands.

October 6, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  13. judy from minnesota

The Republican candidates/party are losing...they know it and they are desperate.
    Wake up America! Don't let these smear tactics work this time. Look where the last election results got us.

October 6, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  14. Republican Base Voting OBAMA

Old News we want the facts of Today............. The Economy Stupid should be the quote of the day.

Obama/Biden 08/12

October 6, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  15. nuclular weapons= PALIN NEED TO CHECK A DICTIONARY

she is killing her career for christ sake.

October 6, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  16. Thompson

Question...Is the "pregnancy" of Sarah Palin's daughter a reflection of her character?

October 6, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  17. Dan, TX

McCain/Palin = Dishonorable/Dishonest.
    McCain/Palin = the end of America as leader of the free world.

I'm not a liberal. I once considered myself a conservative – actually I am more fiscally conservative than McCain and I agree with Obama's economic policies far more than McCain's.

October 6, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  18. Anonymous

What an extraordinary display of hypocrisy! Is winning at any cost more important than maintaining a semblance of integrity? Palin – you should be ashamed!

October 6, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  19. Jay

Looks like Dick Cheney is back in the form of Sarah Palin.

October 6, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  20. Elizabeth - TEXAS

And the Republican's are proud of this. Tell us about Trooper Gate – abuse of Power and the new Ethics Violation charges that are coming.

Barack Obama is going to be one of Americans greatest Presidents.

October 6, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  21. Jay in MA

What scares me more than Wright is the little kids singing their hymn to Obama... straight out of North Korea.

Will they be calling Obama "Dear Leader" any time soon?

October 6, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  22. Mountain Man

The way I see it...America is still the country of free speech. Wright has a right to say what he wants. That DOES NOT mean it is O8amas' position. Just because he [O8bama] attended Wrights church does not mean those are O8bamas opinions. This IS NOT a political issue! Separation of church and state. Just because you "know" someone does NOT mean what they SAY is YOUR opinion! Since when is someone responsible for anothers words out of their mouth!?

October 6, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  23. Mary

This is really getting weak and childish, can someone them is this what American politics has come too? The McCain camp is acting like there are more than 2mths to goe. They need to start getting back to the issues and cut this old nonsense out

October 6, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  24. The high road

I did not like Palin from the time she was introduced, BUT NOW I CAN'T STAND HER.

October 6, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  25. OS

YOU STUPID LADY FOCUS ON ISSUES THAT ARE IMPORTANT TO THIS COUNTRY AND THE WORLD.

IF YOU HAVE NO QUALIFICATION TO CONTEST ON ISSUES AND POLICIES – THEN QUIT.

October 6, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |