October 6th, 2008

Palin raises Rev. Wright

Gov. Palin spoke about Obama's ties to Rev. Wright in an interview.
Gov. Palin spoke about Obama's ties to Rev. Wright in an interview.

(CNN) – Sarah Palin has increasingly embraced the attack dog role on the Republican ticket – but in a new interview, she seems to endorse a line of attack John McCain had distanced himself from earlier this year.

The Republican VP nominee told Bill Kristol of the New York Times that Obama's long-time relationship with minister Jeremiah Wright should be a bigger issue on the campaign trail. "I don't know why that association isn't discussed more," she said.

Watch: Wright situation 'difficult' Obama says

"Because those were appalling things that that pastor had said about our great country, and to have sat in the pews for 20 years and listened to that - with, I don't know, a sense of condoning it, I guess, because he didn't get up and leave - to me, that does say something about character," said Palin. ".I guess that would be a John McCain call on whether he wants to bring that up."

Watch: Obama hits back after Palin accuses him of 'palling around with terrorists'

When the North Carolina Republican Party launched a television ad this spring taking aim at Obama's ties to Wright, McCain first repudiated the attack. "I've said again and again, I do not believe that Sen. Obama shares Rev. Wright's extremist views which he has stated, whether it be the United States Marine Corps or the flag or what," McCain said. "I am leaving that issue to a dialogue between Sen. Obama and American people."

He added that all he could do, "in as visible way as possible, is disassociate myself from that kind of campaigning."

But McCain soon signaled that he might have changed his position on whether state Republican parties or downballot GOP candidates should exploit the Wright issue in local campaigns, suggesting that he had shifted his stance after Obama told an interviewer that the controversy surrounding his ex-pastor was "a legitimate political issue."

"As I said before, I am of the belief that Sen. Obama does not reflect the extremist statements that Rev. Wright has given," McCain told reporters. "I have no comments on it, but I also understand why millions of Americans may, as Sen. Obama said yesterday, view this as a political issue."

Still, the issue has not been major fodder on the trail since McCain himself dealt with fallout from the endorsements of headline-grabbing pastors this spring. Reports of controversial statements by evangelical leaders John Hagee and Rod Parsley ultimately led him to reject the backing of both men.

Filed under: 2008 Election • Sarah Palin
  1. Mizz Independant

When you have nothing to offer on issues you bash the opponent with smear lies and distortion. The Palin/McCain ticket with set this country back. I for one want to look to the future. I am willing to give Obama/ Biden a chance. The Repubs have been in power too long, we need something different. I believe Sen Obama has that vision and my husband and I are willing to give him a chance. As far as smear and attacks they turn me off I want to hear about issues that affect us all. What about her "witch doctor". Those without sin can cast the first stone and I don't believe Mizz Palin fits that bill.

Obama/Biden 08

October 6, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  2. Kurt from Canada

Country first, eh?

How about winning at all cost.

I actually used to respect McCain. I once said he's the only Republican with the possibility of becoming president whom I, as a foreigner, would be okay with and feel comfortable about. Turns out he may very well be the most amoral of the bunch.

Please, Americans, don't buy into this garbage. I do't think your reputation internationally will recover should you elect these political thugs.

October 6, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  3. ANGIE

unbeliiveable OUR 401KS ARE DWINDLING AWAY and this nutcase wants to talk about wright WHO THE FREAK CARES LOOK AT THE ECONOMY LOOK AT OUR SAVINGS GOING DOWN THE TOLIET can she get her witchhunt pastor to make her disappear?

October 6, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  4. Independent

Are they gonna raise the fact that her spiritual guide is a witchdoctor?

October 6, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  5. Susan

Rev. Wright is an old black man that had to experience racism directly. It was his generation that had to drink out of a different foundatain. It was his generation that saw black people hang because they looked at white people. My point is that he is speaking the truth that he believes, and that's not right but he can not speak from any other point of view. Those are his experiences, those are his truths .Many people go to chruch for twenty years out of tradition they do not necessaryily agree with what their pastor or priest says 100%. Why should this matter. This attack iis null and void with me.. It does not matter. What matter is that 750,000 people had a job this time last year. Winter is coming what is the plan. Why should I vote for you....

October 6, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  6. Patrick M

The King John McBush III believes that the American people owe him the White House!!! You're wrong King John. King John McBush III doesn't tolerate critics, his temper is like as of North Korea dictator. Listen King John, right now the American people are worried about the uncertainty of tomorrow because of the financial crisis. You don't understand how the economy works, these are your own words. By the way, you don't deserve to be the leader of the Free World. I'm gonna vote for the first time in my life and my vote is for the real change, Barack Obama.

Patrick M

October 6, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  7. Sam

What does Rev Wright, Ayers, etc. (or even Palin's pastor) have to do with the very PRESSIING issues of economic recession?

October 6, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  8. Konrad Kuczak

Wasn't the Palin crowd supposed to release Sara's tax returns last Friday? Did they find out she never filed?

October 6, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  9. Jack Jodell, Minneapolis, MN

This woman is no Christian.

October 6, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  10. Mikey

I'll take a dozen Rev. Wrights to a church where they speak in tounges, think they are going to shelter all the "worthy" refugees at the end of days, and with their Jews for Jesus friends blame the non-acceptance of Christ for their suffering terrorist attacks.

Not to mention Palin's witch doctor and McCain's friends who blamed 9/11 on God's retribution against America for not following their narrow vision of foreign policy or Katrina on the people of New Orleans for having a gay rights parade.

Beyond that, Sarah Palin is a lying sleezeball in addition to holding extremist views and being completely unqualified for VP. What does she think Cheney did wrong as VP – not expanding the powers of that office enoughg! She is a scary thought as VP and even moreso as a potential President.

The McCain-Palin campaign is working hard to ensure there are at least as many reasons to vote AGAINST the GOP ticket as there are reasons to vote FOR Obama-Biden ... and there are now plenty of both.

Obama '08

October 6, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  11. Stacy from Loudoun County, VA

Senator Mccain, Governor Palin: What is your plan for aiding us in the economic crisis? Please, time is ticking? Governor Palin, we covered this earlier this year, maybe you did not read about it all the way up in Alaska.

October 6, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  12. Sarah Bell

How is John McCain's relationship with Charles Keating related to today's economic crisis???

When the savings and loan industry collapsed, Keating's failed company put taxpayers on the hook for $3.4 billion and more than 20,000 Americans lost their savings. John McCain was reprimanded by the bipartisan Senate Ethics Committee, but the ultimate cost of the crisis to American taxpayers reached more than $120 billion.

The Keating scandal is eerily similar to today's credit crisis, where a lack of regulation and cozy relationships between the financial industry and Congress has allowed banks to make risky loans and profit by bending the rules. And in both cases, John McCain's judgment and values have placed him on the wrong side of history.

October 6, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  13. Bruce

stock market and the economy are in the tank and all thest tow can do is attack because they ahve no clue as to what to do...
    WAKE UP AMERICA....stay asleep and this will be the end of the country we know and love.
    McCain/Palin...not Country FIrst and not fit to lead.

October 6, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  14. Cindy from NC

THE DOW DROPPED 500 pts already and the day is not over. AND THIS SO CALLED LEADER IS TALKING ABOUT REV. Wright.

GUESS WHAT Rev. Wright is not taking away or giving me any $$. He doesn't set the rules/regulations or in McCains case DEREGULATION.
    Please come up w/ something that is going to help me and put our country together and divide it.
    LOOSERS

October 6, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  15. CMitch FW, TX

What are the issues? Palin please stop using scare tactics. If country first, what is the state of the economy? As a woman you really disgust me. You have no idea what going on in this country. You no ethical or moral subsistence.

October 6, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  16. Paula

Oh boy, have you opened the door, Pentecostal Palin! Not even close to the IQ of a pit bull. My daughter has one and she is way smarter than you.

October 6, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  17. A Latte Lover, Seattle, WA

Silly Sarah! Do you really want to go there? Just to name a few: Witch Doctor Pastor; Speaking in Tongues; Pray for Gays; Jews for Jesus; Troopergate; Keating 5; Group that husband belongs....Just for starters, LOL...

Lets Go! Ready to Rumble....

Older Women for Obama/Biden, 08

October 6, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  18. Oregon calling

It's pretty easy to name items "after the fact". Personally, I think that the term "Joe Six-pack" is degrading. What do you think that we are all a bunch of drinkers? Personally, it is more responsible to not DRINK & DRIVE. This lady needs to go back to ALASKA.
    One more thought, if she is suppose to be so strong on Energy why does Alaska have the highest gas prices in the country? Riddle me this.

Obama / Biden 08

October 6, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  19. Hot Rod

Since Gov.Palin is more concern about "character"than issues like
    I don't know ........jobs , gas prices ,or the economy. Let's talk about her character....... I wonder if we can get her husband's former business partner to let the media look into his divorce case documents. I'm willing to bet that Sarah Palin's name come up once or twice. Let's ask Senator McCain why he left his disabled wife for the millionaire heiress with the drug problem. If you want the gloves to come off let's really take the gloves off. It is time for Sen.Obama to release Moveon.org and let's see how Mrs.Palin responds. Let's talk about HER pastor let's talk about her husband who wanted Alaska to succeed from the U.S. Let's talk about her daughter and the boyfriend and the shotgun wedding. Let's ask for hospital records on the day your baby was born.Let's talking about the photos on the internet of Bristol kissing her boyfriend's sister. Then ask Ms. family values if she wants the gloves to come off. Please post this!!!!!!

October 6, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  20. Rey Martinez

Come on, stop the bickering and focus on the Economy! We are dying here!

October 6, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  21. Lisa

Sarah Palin is looking more and more foolish. Enough already Sarah. Save yourself. McCain is not worth it because when he looses in Nov. he's going to loose you to.

FYI Mrs. Palin- Keep the little integrity you had before you joined the wrong side.

October 6, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  22. MemeForObama

All i will say to ms failing or palin whatever her name may be is don't cry when obama comes back at u. u've been dishing it out on Obama since u got picked up. Obama will eventually come back at u(do u remember mrs clinton??). She attacked obama for months till he got fed up with it. When Obama fires back at u, trust me u and ur group of returgs will cry for years to come.

Obama is a gentleman but he's human too!!

October 6, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  23. Kevin, Austin

Dude – You're right on – the entire right has their marching orders – bring down Obama by any means necessary. So little Billy and Seany and Rushy are all up in arms doing "exposes" on Bill Ayres and "The History of Radicalism" and Obama and Rev. Wright.

It's really comical to see how transparent and coordinated the attack is. I'm not sure who is giving the orders – Rove, Murdoch, Clinton? But somebody is and like good little puppies (or pit bulls), they've all stepped up to spew their venom.

Meanwhile the dow is nose-diving. I'm struggling to keep my job, my house and my nest egg that is invested in 401ks and 529s. These nutjobs aren't speaking to me or most of America.

Good luck with that.

October 6, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  24. Ariana

umm, isn't this old news?????
    maybe if she picked up a newspaper once in a while, she'd know that.

October 6, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  25. Bridgette-PA

OK, and the American people are supposed to believe a moose huntin', gun totin', wolf killin', witchcraft psycho????. Go away Sarah, you need to hope that the investigation against you won't wind your butt up in jail!

OBAMA/BIDEN -08!