October 7th, 2008

Cindy McCain says Obama running 'dirtiest campaign' ever

Cindy McCain said Obama is running a dirty campaign.
Cindy McCain said Obama is running a dirty campaign.

(CNN) - Cindy McCain lashed out at Barack Obama Tuesday, telling a Tennessee newspaper the Illinois senator has waged the "dirtiest campaign in American history."

The comments came hours before her husband, Republican nominee John McCain, was slated to square off with the Illinois senator at the second presidential debate, and are among her harshest to date of her husband's rival for the White House.

Speaking to the Tennessean, Cindy McCain also said her husband would use Tuesday night's town hall forum as an opportunity to correct what she suggested were misleading statements from the Obama campaign.

“What I have found is that it’s necessary to make sure the American people understand what we have to say, what we stand for as a husband and wife, and what we will do for the American people if we’re lucky enough to be elected,” Mrs. McCain also told the paper.

Both presidential campaigns have stepped up the intensity of their attacks, with only four weeks remaining until Election Day. The McCain campaign raised Obama's past relationship to 1960's radical William Ayers over the weekend, prompting the Democratic nominee’s campaign to unleash a 13-minute documentary Web video Monday detailing the Arizona senator’s involvement in the Keating Five scandal.

In an admitted effort to turn the dominating narrative away from the nation's ailing economy, McCain’s campaign also launched a new offensive against Barack Obama's trustworthiness Monday, releasing a new campaign ad that asks "Who is Barack Obama?", and tells voters the Illinois senator is 'lying' about his record.

1. The McCain's 9 Homes & 13 Cars

What is cindy talking about?
    Obama is going to tax you big time.

October 7, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  2. Roger

It is easy to make that statement when you don't have to back it up with facts or answer questions about your own husbands campaign that his own party is saying is taking the low road.

October 7, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  3. kathy ng.

Obama is running a dirty campaign? All politicians are running dirty campaign in my opinion. Did Sarah Palin just go around to criticize Obama's character? Is that dirty? We are in a major economy crisis, they just go around to talk about character? I strongly think that 8 years under Bush is more than enough. We need change. As a voter, I am not 100% sure if Obama/Biden ticket can turn around the economy, but knowing that senator Mc Cain is about the same as the current president, I think we should take a chance to go with Obama/Biden ticket.
    Watching Sarah Palin going around criticizing Obana just make me want to turn off the TV. Senator Mc. Cain should regret for not selecting Mitt Romney as his VP.

October 7, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  4. rumpusgoopus

It's official: the Republicans are truly living in a bizarro world.

October 7, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  5. Onlywayisleft

I thought she was no longer a drug addict she must be haveing a flash back! Talk about denial...

October 7, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  6. rdf

I think more and more people are understanding. McCain/Palin deal in fear and hate. I did like John McCain but I guess it's the evil he brought on board that sealed his pact with the devil. I do pray that they do not get into the white house.

October 7, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  7. Judy

The nerve of Cindy McCain. Her husband is the one who started the smear campaign. Obama has every right to respond in kind. And I would like to know what office she is running for when saying "if we are lucky ..."? As far as I know, her name is not on the ballot.

October 7, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  8. Lynn: 60 yr old white Obama supporter

She always stands behind McCain at his speeches like a statue...I guess she WAS just pretending to listen!!

October 7, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  9. mitch

omg! i cant believe she has the nerve! hows ur retirement doin ,cindy?

October 7, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  10. ben

i'm pretty sure it's the other way around cindy. barack is talking about issues. your husband is talking about... well, i'm not sure if even he knows what he's talking about at this point.

October 7, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  11. Obama/Biden 08

The irony... the irony...

October 7, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  12. Nichole, IL

...what we [the McCains] will do for the American people if we’re [McCains] lucky enough to be elected...

The McCains are the gift that just keeps on giving. There is just no end to their chutzpah. I guess they borrowed theirs from Independent Sen. Lieberman. Say it ain't so, Joe.

October 7, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  13. Hispanic for Obama

Haha wow...

And now Im switching my vote from Obama to McCain because of Cyndi. She's so great...Thanks for knowing what the American people want.

October 7, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  14. Deb, Allentown,PA

This statement is ridiculous. Utterly without merit.

Obama has tried to keep this positive. Granted, he's had some ads that could be construed as "negative", but nothing to the extent of the vitriol, lies and misrepresentations coming from McCain and Palin.

I just saw a wonderful commercial of Obama's. He mentioned McCain twice in the commercial, both times in the context of comparing his economic policies to those of McCain's.

Now compare that with the 100% negative advertising that the McCain campaign has admitted they'll run for the rest of this election.

I want someone who believes in America and our future, who believes in hope over hate, and who wants our future to be positive.

I want Obama and Biden!!!!

October 7, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  15. maryland

What are you talking about cindy??
    Have you heard Sarah palin talk lately?

October 7, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  16. sj

Well I guess if he (McCain) can talk his VP to start waging a war of negative words, why can't he get his wife to do the same. It seems odd that she would make those comments, when her husbands campaign started the, "he's pals with domestic terrorists." Talk about calling the kettle black!!! ooooppps, I guess I shouldn't have said that huh?
    Although I would have to say last Friday nights episode of the Daily Show was right on.....McCain and "his" supporters truly are beginning to "act" like the "black" candidate.

October 7, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  17. Ariel

Does she live in Fantasyland? The McCain camp came out and said they intended to run a mudslinging campaign. That's dirty in my book.

October 7, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  18. Sharon

HAS SHE WATCHED THE HIT PIECES HER HUSBAND IS RUNNING???? SHE MAY BE CONFUSED- JOHN MCCAIN IS RUNNING A DIRTY CAMPAIGN AND FOR THAT REASON, I WILL
    NOT VOTE FOR HIM-

25 YEARS AS PART OF THE PROBLEM AND NOW HE HAS NEW IDEAS???

October 7, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  19. ben

I can't believe she'd say something as bold as this considering who started this mess. Maybe mcSame should use the debate time to tell us what he really stands for regarding the American People.

October 7, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  20. Nora, MN

Cindy had better keep an eye on sneaky Sara and wandering eye Johnny.

October 7, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  21. yasmine

you have got to be kidding... your husband invented "dirty campaigns"... go sit down and comb your hair... call McCain's ex-wife and beg for her forgiveness for helping to distroy her life..

October 7, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  22. Shirley Ralston (Canada)

Is she saying it with a straight face!! Talk about calling the kettle black.

October 7, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  23. AH

who is cindy kidding? Well, at least that will make good material for snl
    Palin: Obama is paling around with a bad guy form chicago
    Mccain: Obama is a liar
    Palin: Obama hates America
    Crowd: "terrrorist", "kill him"
    Cindy: We are running the cleanest campaign in US history.

October 7, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  24. Wake Up

What a joke of a website – full of ignorant, clueless, mindless Obama sujpporters. I just wish I had the opportunity to debate each and every one of you off the stage.

October 7, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  25. mitch

must be off the wagon. wink wink.

October 7, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |