October 7th, 2008

CNN analysts and contributors weigh in: Obama won

CNN analysts and contributors weigh in.
CNN analysts and contributors weigh in.

(CNN) - The final tally is in. During the debate, six CNN analysts and contributors scored in real time the performances by both presidential candidates.

Watch: Candidate differ on diplomacy

The number next to the pluses suggests the candidate made a “good point” while the figures next to the minuses indicate “missed opportunities.” For example, in the end, Republican strategist Alex Castellanos gave the debate to Obama with 32 pluses and 4 negatives as opposed to McCain’s 28 pluses and 13 negatives.

Watch: 'Talk softly, carry a big stick,' McCain says

The other five contributors and analysts included Democratic strategist Paul Begala, Sr. Political Analysts Gloria Borger and David Gergen, Chief National Correspondent John King, and Senior Analyst Jeff Toobin.

1. Uma in Liverpool, UK

Obama-8 Mostly intelligent, workable ideas. Very little mudslinging.
    McCain-4 Too much mudslinging. Muddy, dubious ideas.

Occasionally, they both dodged the questions.

In particular, Tom Brokaw’s question about the Senior British General and Consultant’s statements, yesterday morning (our time) that the War in Afghanistan CANNOT be won by military might. That was annoying. I really wanted to hear a straight answer on that one.

They both ran overtime.

McCain was far to wordy, and not on point, a lot of the time… He kept slagging Obama off, which was unattractive. His attacks on Obama were, in some cases, known lies. He seemed very old, and 'erratic' at times.

Obama was a bit annoyed, and let it show, slightly. He’s ahead, and I don’t think this will cost him. His health-care and energy-policy answers were on point. I liked the ‘moral’ point about ‘genocide’ — non-involvement diminishes ANYONE who stands by and lets it happen.

I don’t know that socialised medicine would NOT work well in the USA. It has never been tried. I’d like to see ‘profit’ taken OUT of health-care in the USA. Obama didn’t answer the ‘Commodity’ question as asked. McCain didn’t answer it at all. That's too bad.

McCain doesn’t seem to understand that there have been numerous ‘holocausts’ since the Nazi Holocaust. The Khmer Rouge in Cambodia… Rwanda… Bosnia… to name a few. For someone who was still trying the condescending 'Obama doesn't understand' schtick, he did a poor job, understanding the questions, let alone answering them.

October 7, 2008 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  2. Richard

McCain's bad JUDGMENT again! He got the town meeting he's been whining about and lost bad.

Score: Obama-Biden 3 – McCain-Palin 0

October 7, 2008 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  3. mike

Mccain wanted Obama to do town hall meetings with him at least 10. I wish Obama had gone to clean him out like tonight.

My hearts go to you Joe Biden I hope and pray that your wife come through this. We love you Joe...even though Sarah palin still keep attacking you ...

October 7, 2008 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  4. Chris

I agree with these numbers. I think that both stumbled over some things but I do believe that McCain was very disrespectful to the young man that asked the question about Fannie Mae and Freddy Mac. "You may not have heard of Fannie Mae or Freddy Mac prior to this crisis." You don't talk down to people if your trying to win there vote especially when it is broadcast live on every major news network in the country. McCain showed his true character at that moment.

October 7, 2008 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  5. Anonymous

I totally agree with the Proud Conservative:

Let me say it again:

It's the Lying liberal media once again. Too bad all of your analysts are totally in the Barack Obama tank. I wonder if they were paid to say this?

They obviously want to be on the right (=wrong) power trip – the media!

October 7, 2008 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  6. Happy Grammy

Short and sweet: Obama is the future; McCain is the past!

October 7, 2008 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  7. Gary

Obama spent about 10 trillion with all his ideas. He just doesn't get it that government needs to drastically cut spending, not increase it.

October 7, 2008 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  8. Ray Carioscia

Pardon my language, but, scumbag McCain referring to Obama as "that one" show his true disdain and lack of repect of Sen Obama.
    But, that's ok, every time the slimy Mc Cain does that kind of stuff, he loses more voters by showing his sleazy persona. Go to your old age home McCain, this is your last hurrah.

October 7, 2008 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  9. dallas love obama

Obama did an outstanding, job he showed his ability to be a great leader it will be" that one" one to become the next president.

October 7, 2008 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  10. Obama Supporter

Obama next president.

October 7, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  11. Katrina from St. Louis

In this debate, McCain appeared rude and condescending. Not only did he openly express disdain for Barack Obama ("that one") and sell propaganda about his policies and experience, he insulted an audience member by intimating that he handn't heard of Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac. This showed his arrogance at it's worst. He's clearly out of touch.

October 7, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  12. John

Proud Conservative October 7th, 2008 11:17 pm ET

Alex Castellanos is a Republican. Also Gergen is not a political hack. He is very insightful

October 7, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  13. GARFORD

Obama is definetely a better speaker that McCain. We have to give him that, but McCain is a better candidate and had a better debate tonight. We need his experience now more than ever.

October 7, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  14. karen

its no wonder McCain is losing he's so much like Dick Cheney -a crotchety old man & Palin is no help shes too much like Bush no real experience but fun to have a beer with deja vue

October 7, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  15. Victoria - Milwaukee, WI

I think this debate was more effective than the last debate however I can't get over this "that one" comment. I mean, if Obama said "that woman" to Palin or Hillary, he would be ate up by every women's activist group. McCain is such an unprofessional and concentrates on the negative too much. He should have just called him a boy or "you people". Personal opinion. On top of that he didn't shake Obama's hand when he had his hand out – he was referred to McCain's wife. WTH??!??

October 7, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  16. Judi

Did anyone notice that McCain wouldn't shake Obama's hand at the end!!! He directed him to his wife Cindy. What's up with that????

October 7, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  17. insider

That one! What does that mean?
    I don’t think McCain was being racist but I did see an air of indignation and or lack of respect to persons. McCain also was careful to call each questioner by name but for got to remember the young black mans name. I do hope that also will not be taken wrong. Overall McCain was much better in this debate as was Obama as well.

I see this one going down as a tie.

October 7, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |