October 7th, 2008

CNN analysts and contributors weigh in: Obama won

CNN analysts and contributors weigh in.
CNN analysts and contributors weigh in.

(CNN) - The final tally is in. During the debate, six CNN analysts and contributors scored in real time the performances by both presidential candidates.

Watch: Candidate differ on diplomacy

The number next to the pluses suggests the candidate made a “good point” while the figures next to the minuses indicate “missed opportunities.” For example, in the end, Republican strategist Alex Castellanos gave the debate to Obama with 32 pluses and 4 negatives as opposed to McCain’s 28 pluses and 13 negatives.

Watch: 'Talk softly, carry a big stick,' McCain says

The other five contributors and analysts included Democratic strategist Paul Begala, Sr. Political Analysts Gloria Borger and David Gergen, Chief National Correspondent John King, and Senior Analyst Jeff Toobin.

1. Zolesh

Three down one to go and the score card reads: Obama 3 McCain 0

Hehehehehehehehehe

October 7, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  2. New Day

"What don't you know and how will you learn it?"

Democrats... Republicans... join me in NH to fire the person who asked that question into space!!!!

October 7, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  3. David

American's have a preconception of the Republican Party based on the despicable performance of George Bush. Therefore, thanks to Bush, the Dems are going to win this election "hands down"

October 7, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  4. hopeful in hawaii

I'm glad to see that I'm not alone–McCain leaving early said it all.

October 7, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  5. Laura Garner

McCain won! Barack Hussein Obama is a Socialist idiot!!!!!!

October 7, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  6. Dave

Wow, CNN stating that Obama won, i'm shocked. So predictable.

October 7, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  7. Jonathan F.

i felt that Mccain did not do himself any good in this debate. Is it me or did you notice how when some questions were asked, Mccain simple talked down to the person? Oliver, for example, asked his question and McCain simply said, "you may or may not know or have hear" and that struck me as condescending to the point that he was talking down and not on the common man's level

October 7, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  8. Rawspoon

so true

October 7, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  9. O H ,,,,,,,B A B Y

W H Y,,,,,,,,,D OE S ,,,,,,,,C N N,,,,,,,T H I N K,,,,,,,,,,W E ,,,,,,,,G I V E,,,,,,,,,

A,,,,,,,,,,,H O O T ,,,,,,,,,,A B O U T ,,,,,,,,I T S ,,,,,,,,,,P U N D I T S ? ? ?

October 7, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  10. Deb, Allentown,PA

I thought this was a very clear win for Obama.

Congratulations! I also loved seeing Barack and Michelle with the crowd after the debate. They looked engaged, sweet, and it looked like the spectators enjoyed their company. Didn't see any pictures of J & C. Where did they disappear to?

October 7, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  11. Juan Grain

The folks at FOX are saying that Palin did the best job tonight?

October 7, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  12. Kami in Arizona

Game set match!!! Obama won!

October 7, 2008 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  13. Jerry Lucas Indiana

I do not think any one won as our country is in the worst mess of my life time and all we can do is point a finger at each other. I hope that all have listened to these two men and heard nothing that will fix anything.

How can you spend 100 times what you will make and think it is about the job not the power

Health care is not going to be fixed as we are 250,000 nurses short and growing.

We must stop now with the killing of each other in the name of a party and become Americans again.

Jerry R Lucas RN
    Male Nurse Magazine .com

October 7, 2008 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  14. JOfromATLforObamaBiden

IT WAS CLEAR THAT OBAMA WON. OBAMA DID NOT NEED TO DISRESPECT MCCAIN TO MAKE VALID POINTS. MCCAIN IS A DISRESPECFUL OLD DOG. I CAN'T GET OVER HIM CALLING OBAMA 'THAT ONE' AS IF HE DID NOT HAVE A NAME AND A TITLE.

I HOPE REPUBLICANS ARE NOT DEFENDING THAT. OBAMA HAS NEVER DISRESPECTED MCCAIN..AND BELIEVE ME HE HAS MANY REASONS TO DO SO, BUT HE IS A TRUE MAN...NOT AN OLD GRUMPY, CRAZY ACTING MAN

October 7, 2008 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  15. Proud Conservative

Lying liberal media once again. Too bad all of your analysts are totally in the Barack Obama tank. I wonder if they were paid to say this?

October 7, 2008 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  16. Juan Grain

I hope you guys are playing for cash and not credit, Ha!

October 7, 2008 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  17. Kate Fergus

No question – Obama wins another one.

October 7, 2008 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  18. Barbara - 65 yr old white female in NC

President Barack Obama

October 7, 2008 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  19. Afraid For Americans

McCain was a turn off when he referred to Sen. Obama as "That one" and when he was asked a question from the audience and he implied, you probably haven't heard of Fannie mae and freddie mac until now. What bugs me is McCain and Palin think we (AMERICANS) are dumb.

October 7, 2008 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  20. Marie

McCain is a dishonor to the american people so much for his patiotism.He should be ashamed to refer to a state senator someone that he has said he would reach across the other side to as THAT ONE And how can he relate to the struggling americans when you have not walked a mile ever in their shoes.Point blank he want to be president and could care less about us poor struggling people.Bush have stood back for eight years and did nothing and McCain will do the same.You people supporting McCain had better wake up before it's too late you might not like Obama for whatever reason but if you think the last eight years was bad look out because if McCain gets elected he'll be a clone of George Bush

October 7, 2008 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  21. DJ

McCain is a broken record of "I'm a reforming bipartisan maverick", he can't seem to actually answer any question.

October 7, 2008 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  22. Soccer Mom

Poor bitter old man...I felt sorry for him. He just doesn't seem to get it.

October 7, 2008 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  23. LITTLE JOHN

It appears the cnn analyist do not take the time to look behind the political scenes,and realize that J MacCain has much more knowlege on how to fix the crisis in america,because Obama will tax his way out of it ,at home, but can not pay for anything abroad,,debt to other countries...etc..anyone who thinks that the debt will be forgiven like what most north american countries have done for developing seriously in debt countries wont happen....

October 7, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  24. Eli

Obama may have received MORE pluses from you but I'd rather vote for the guy who got the RIGHT pluses. Tonight that was John McCain.

October 7, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  25. JOfromATLforObamaBiden

LAURA GARNER;

I CAN TELL YOU HAVE AN EMPTY HEAD, BIMBO JUST LIKE PALIN.

October 7, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |