October 7th, 2008

CNN analysts and contributors weigh in: Obama won

CNN analysts and contributors weigh in.
CNN analysts and contributors weigh in.

(CNN) - The final tally is in. During the debate, six CNN analysts and contributors scored in real time the performances by both presidential candidates.

Watch: Candidate differ on diplomacy

The number next to the pluses suggests the candidate made a “good point” while the figures next to the minuses indicate “missed opportunities.” For example, in the end, Republican strategist Alex Castellanos gave the debate to Obama with 32 pluses and 4 negatives as opposed to McCain’s 28 pluses and 13 negatives.

Watch: 'Talk softly, carry a big stick,' McCain says

The other five contributors and analysts included Democratic strategist Paul Begala, Sr. Political Analysts Gloria Borger and David Gergen, Chief National Correspondent John King, and Senior Analyst Jeff Toobin.

1. Kish from Britain

These are intelligent people that watched the same debate I watched................insightful clear and reasoned analysis....................and remember I am british and therefore neutral

October 7, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  2. Jacob

I hate to say it but Barack Obama has this thing in the bag. No matter who the Republicans elected as their running mate we would have lost. The Bush administration is disliked by to many people for any republican to have a chance. It is going to be fun with Barack Obama as president. The media outlets will actually have positive stories no matter what Obama does. I am honestly looking forward to that. If Obama messes up as bad as Bush the media will still find a way to praise him. I mean this in the most respectful way possible. I hope the election of Obama will show black people that we don't have it out for them. I hope they will quit their whining and realize that now things are pretty fair. If they work hard they will get just as many opportunities as a white person and sometimes more based on the color of their skin. Hopefully they will quit being so loud and obnoxious and learn that making something of themselves is kind of important.

October 7, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  3. minkyadoo

Obama wins and so does America.......

October 7, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  4. Eric Dumars

Viva Obama! He whooped McCain in the debate. I am looking forward to a president Barack Obama!

October 7, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  5. Dave in Atlanta

Game...set....match!!!

October 7, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  6. It's funny...

A Republican strategist says his own party lost the debate, and commentors here think that it's because he's a biased CNN employee.

WAKE UP!

Blindly pledging that everything one party does is what got is into this huge mess. Accept that your candidate didn't do so well, and ask for him to fix his mistakes. Don't just sit there and demand that all of America accept that your candidate won.

7. Bruce

That one. All it means is that candidate, not this one. Jesus people, is that all you can find wrong with McCain.

How about the comment that Obama lived on Food stamps but was able to go to the FINEST schools around. My parents worked and could not qualify for food stamps and I was forced to go to a school my parents could afford, not paid by the GOVERNMENT!

8. Tony

It's a shame to see that CNN is in the tank for Obama. CNN used to be the independent source you could count on to cut through all the bull and let the viewer draw their own conclusions. Now they come up with contrived excuses to make negative points against McCain (most recent example: "That one" ooooooooooh that's worse than the n-word!) and consistently say that McCain isn't doing enough - yet they never acknowledge that McCain has been attracting more independents than Obama.

I've been forced to turn off CNN and switch to that awful station FOX News just to hear an actual conservative opinion for once. I dunno how long I'll last, but I need a break from biased CNN.

9. Niro

when I am ready to let my 70 yrs old grandfather manager my 401K, I may decide to vote for McCain to manage this country's economy.

Until then I'll stick with someone who understands the eocnomic issues

10. mardi

McCain portrayed himself as an angry old man who contradicts himself. In one breath he suggest the government buy up the bad mortgages, in the next breath he says we have to cut spending. So where is the money for the mortgage buyouts gonna come from? And, would this mean that those of us who haven't defaulted on our mortgages, will be compensated for the decline in our home value because of the mortgage meltdown? How about compensating us for our devalued retirement plans. Wow McCain, sounds like you're a big spender after all!

11. dems are screwed

I cant take the bias anymore......

12. Paolo

I'm a bit surprised at this score. I thought based on the statements I heard, McCain won as I was a bit disappointed at Obama's performance. But it's a good thing the analysts gave the debate to my favourite candidate.

13. db

Yes he did win.
    . I'm voting for "THAT ONE".

Obama /Biden '08-12

14. Barbara Wood-Allen

It seems that CNN is clearly for Obama. You took Senator McCain's comment out of context ;or we do not speak the same English. When he said that one he had referred to himself first and then to Sen. Ob ama as that one referencing to that Senator not this Senator. What a disgrace that this countries news reporting has stooped to this.

I am so disgusted with CNN and your biased coverage that I truly think I will just stop watching CNN all together.

15. MN is Obama land - from St Paul

I am appalled adn insulted to hear a PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE CALL ANOTHER PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE
    "THAT ONE,"

Just think about it, who goes around calling other dignatories and world leaders names?
    who does mccain reminds you of?
    whose policies will mccain continue to follow and enforce??

he has let us all know, he is Mcbush the 3rd.

calling anyone anyone "that one," and specially in this debate Presidential Candidate Obama, "that one" is condescending, disrespecful, uncalled for, it is non presidential like, it is more bush like
    and it is simply pathetic and totally ignorant,
    please we have BUSH the THIRD ALL OVERA AGAIN, JUST ANGRIER, OLDER AND MEANER

16. Lissa in Montreal

Going to have different slants on this debate for the week to come. But there are signs that McCain knows he's slipped farther down, and leaving early, condescending to both voters and Sen. Obama, and his stumbling on answers just showed that he is not the Mavericky debater he'd been expected to be tonight.

Won't be long before Palin's vitriole becomes less and less consequential and her star falls.

17. Merry

It was truly encouraging to see the Obamas interacting with the audience of the debate so warmly and graciously long after the debate was over, and LONG after the McCains left. It is a true testament to the true leader of the people the U.S COULD have. This is ONE of the MANY reasons I will be voting for Barack.

18. John

I don't have to understand about politic, it was so easy to see OBAMA WON!

October 7, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  19. leeat70+

I cant believe how totaly ignorant the democrats are and they make up for it with pure hatefullness.. they deserve what the are going to get with Obama...next it will be him stomping on the american flag instead of Ayers.

October 7, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  20. Kewpie for Obama

Did anyone notice how McCain, in response to a question from a young Black man started out by saying "you probably never heard of Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac before this financial crisis..." I thought it was condescending since he (McCain) had no idea who that man was or what he knows (or doesnt know). Also, what's up with the "that one" reference to Obama?

October 7, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  21. Jan

McCain's idea of having "his Treasury Sec buy up failing mortgages and renegotiatie them " is not a new idea. This was in our local paper in it's report about details of the first"bail out" proposal. It went on to say that if the home was ever sold, 50% of the profit would go to the Fed. No surprise, no new ideas from Mccain.

October 7, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  22. Virginia

I don't know if any one noticed how Senator Mccain stood and gestured to the audience sort of pointing at Senator Obama. Alone with the "that guy" he was very disrespectful and conducted himself as an angry old man.

October 7, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  23. sjp

i think these analyst's hit it right on the mark, obama was on his game, letting america know exactly what he plans to do, while mccain was so busy trying to make a sound bite he only bit himself, ecspecially on the pakistan issue, mccain obviously slammed himself on that one. also thought that obama's announcment that he would chose pickens as head of energy got alot of peoples attention.

October 7, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  24. John

If this is the way you guys scored it, be honest. Obama won clearly and convincing. Game Over. I get tired of the argument that Obama doesn't talk specifics. he was way more specific than McCain. He was able to articulate every difference between his policy and McCain policy. The Cnn pundants are losing my interest because they are not being true. You Pundants are playing the middle but take a stand and say Obama won.

October 7, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  25. Marty, FL

I agree. McCain should control some of his mannerisms and relax while Obama is speaking. McCain spent too much time walking around, instead of remaining seated in a more comfortable state.

"That one" reference was also a bit offsetting from McCain.

In contrast, Obama appeared more presidential and relaxed in the debate.

October 7, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |