October 7th, 2008

Double-digit Obama edge in Minnesota

Sen. McCain is trailing in Minnesota despite the fact that the Republican convention was held in St. Paul.

(CNN) – With less than a month to go until Election Day, CNN’s latest Minnesota poll of polls shows a major advantage for Sen. Barack Obama.

Obama now leads Sen. John McCain by 14 percentage points – with support from 54 percent of likely voters in the state, compared to 40 percent for McCain. Six percent of likely Minnesota voters are unsure about their choice for president. In CNN’s previous Minnesota poll of polls, Obama was ahead of McCain by a single point – 47 percent to 46 percent.

“The meltdown on Wall Street has significantly strengthened Obama’s hand in Minnesota,” noted CNN Senior Political Researcher Alan Silverleib. “The crisis has reinforced the state’s traditional embrace of economic populism, which almost always benefits the Democrats. At the same time, any local bounce McCain might have received from holding his party’s convention in St. Paul has now worn off. It’s worth remembering that no Republican candidate has carried Minnesota since Richard Nixon in 1972; it’s tough to imagine any GOP candidate seriously contesting the state when he’s trailing nationally by five or six points.”

Tuesday’s CNN Minnesota poll of polls is made up of the following three surveys: Minnesota Public Radio/Humphrey Institute (October 3-5), Star Tribune (September 30-October 2) and CNN/Time/ORC (September 28-30).

The poll of polls does not have a sampling error.

Minnesota is the latest in a number of states that have seen growing advantages for Obama since the financial crisis began.

1. djak

There is hope for this country yet. My kids, who are of age to vote for the first time ever, said to me "Why should I bother? It doesn't matter what I think, besides my life is complicated enough without thinking about politics." Dear Lord, how many young people still think this way? Urge your kids to get out there, register and vote. Do it now!

October 7, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  2. Kelly

Yes We Can!

Midwesterners for Obama.

Character and Substance over Anger and Hatred any day!

October 7, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  3. conservative 4 America

Al Qaeda Supports O'Bama

October 7, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  4. Kate

My, my, my...sounds like some McCain supporters have their panties in a wad given the trend in the polls. I have to say, after tolerating 8 years of this Republican nonsense, I'm enjoying the panic and rants. I'm so happy that the majority of the American people are finally using some common sense. Enough of this far right wing evangelical, anti-intellectual, hockey mom, redneck crap! I can't WAIT to have someone in the White House that can properly string a sentence together!

October 7, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  5. McCain still suffers from PTSD

As a life-long registered Independent Voter McCain has lost me in the last 3 weeks especially as he trumped up his racist rhetoric. I wasn't expecting this out of McCain but I guess all those rumors from his Naval buddies are true, he despises anyone who is non-white.

I am deeply troubled what a McCain Administration would mean to our country. We cannot afford to lose another war in the name of racism. I thought we were beyond that, apparently not.

This Independent voter is heading Senator Obama's way with thousand others. We held a meeting over the weekend and the mood is the same, McCain is out of touch and has become the most dangerous person to America.

October 7, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  6. Lipstick Lovers

I feel sorry for Sarah. She has to hug McLizzard every time she gets on stage. The hugs are getting longer, and she looks like she hates it.

Boo hoo, so sad, too bad. That's what lipstick without a brain will get ya.

October 7, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  7. Gone

When all is said and done, Obama goes down in November because of two issues that won’t go away:

1. Jeremiah Wright
    2. Michelle Obama

While speaking in tongues for nearly two years now - and since voters REALLY don’t know much about Obama –or what he REALLY stands for - these two issues will stick!

October 7, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  8. Joyce

Palin was attacking Joe Biden as he attended his mother-in-law's funeral. That is a new low. I can't wait until she is sent back to Alaska.

October 7, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  9. Elizabeth, New Hampshire

Obama / Biden will win because they will be able to Unite the country.
    Palin is a separatist and a divider, and not qualified to run a diverse
    country. It was pretty clear in Palin's "he's not like us" propoganda,
    that she has an un-American agenda, of which we should be wary .
    Palin will sink John McCain's ship.

October 7, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  10. P K3

Why do the Repubilicans always attack Obama for things that he never did, but for knowing someone even when it is only breifly, how many of you know someone you met and are or were work with full past? Be honest!

October 7, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  11. Does Obama Palin Comparison?

Hugo Chavez would vote for OBAMA!!!!

October 7, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  12. Verouca Salt

I just KNEW Minnesotans were too smart to fall for the demonic rhetoric! My faith in my fellow Americans is gradually being restored.

October 7, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  13. Republican for Obama/Biden

The mess in Republican ticket started with John McCain and from there it went down hill. McCain sold the people out picking Palin for political reasons only. Back Fire!!!!

The people deserve the best.
    The people deserve Barack Obama and Joe Biden.

October 7, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  14. Obama- Next Stop.. White House

One Love Minnesota!!

Barack your Vote!!!!

October 7, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  15. McCain's Barbie Collection

The real excitement is on the Huffington Post. Bye

October 7, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  16. tillman

MR MC CAIN AND MRS. PALIN, I HAVE A QUESTION FOR YOU HOW LOW DOWN AND DIRTY ARE YOU?

October 7, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  17. Sam Benegal

Mcfool/McPalin should campaign in TX, LA,OK, TN, KS Now...

Go Refugs...

October 7, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  18. Heath

McCain should have made a qualified pick for his VP. His Chances would have been better, but he desided to pick a attack dog and now she is bitting him in the butt.

October 7, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  19. Wonerding and Bewildered

Shawn, Ga

Yes, that's true, but how many new registered voters are voting Democrat? How many Dems have already voted?? Also, how many people in our armed forces are voting McCain. Also, I don't recall hearing that McCain had the Latino or the African- American vote locked up. Nope. That would be the other candidate.
    Obama will win. Get over it!!!
    And Shawn, God forbid President Obama turns the eceonmy around and ends these terrible wars, what will you have to complain about then? Nothing.

Obama/Biden 08/12

October 7, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  20. Shahadah

Obama will stand up for what is right and he will forbid what is wrong.

October 7, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  21. txlady

How did McCain wind up with Palin as a running mate? Did every good Republican say " Thanks but no thanks" to his offer as running mate?

October 7, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  22. Rob - WA

GET OUT THE VOTE!!!!!!!!!!! Keep at it like we are 10 points down. Never give up until the results are CLEAR and OVERWHELMING!

October 7, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  23. Wonerding and Bewildered

Susan,

And she's about to hit a very high note!

October 7, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  24. Flyingspaghettimonster

More good news.

The Secret Service has launched an investigation on the "kill him" comment at the hate filled, closed minded, bigoted McSame event.

Why do Repubs lash out with so much hate?

Just tell the truth those of you supporting McLame...you are SCARED of a BLACK man in the WHITE house.

Well, I am STILL scared of evil, hateful, NEOCONS controlling the White House.

By the way...we are ALL from the African Rift Valley. The greatest diversity in Mitochondrial DNA is found in Africa. Everywhere else there is very LITTLE difference.

I know, I know...there goes the Liberal (literal definition of FREEDOM by the way) with his FACTS again.

October 7, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  25. McCain still suffers from PTSD

CNN, I've asked this question before and I'll ask again!

WHAT is that growth that is building on the left eyelid of Senator McCain?

He can hardly open his eye with the same speed as his right eye.

HAS HIS CANCER RETURNED!? THE AMERICAN PEOPLE HAVE THE RIGHT TO KNOW!

October 7, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |