October 7th, 2008

Obama campaign highlights 'that one'

McCain’s comment drew an immediate reaction from Obama’s campaign.
McCain’s comment drew an immediate reaction from Obama’s campaign.

(CNN) – Barack Obama's campaign immediately highlighted a singular moment in Tuesday's presidential debate when John McCain sought to criticize Barack Obama for supporting the 2007 Bush-Cheney energy bill:

"It was an energy bill on the floor of the Senate, loaded down with goodies, billions for the oil companies, and it was sponsored by Bush and Cheney," McCain said. "You know who voted for it? You might never know. That one. You know who voted against it? Me."

Obama campaign spokesman Bill Burton immediately emailed reporters noting McCain's seemingly peculiar reference to the Illinois senator.

"Did John McCain just refer to Obama as 'that one?' Burton asked.

1. Smartstart

You Go Senator Obama, oh my bad President Obama! McCain was not on point and joked too much for me. This is a time in America that we should be serious and not play with words and promote good deeds. America is hurting and Senator Obama seemed to be the only one in this debate that took it to task for US, (The USA)

October 7, 2008 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  2. Patrick

John Mccain is obviously disheveled to the point of a fifth grader. I dont think he meant anything bad towards Obama I just think he is on a downward trajectory and he is out of ideas and...words.

October 7, 2008 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  3. dreanotes

I was very surprised and taken aback by that comment. It was very disrespectful and not something I would expect to hear from a potential President of the United States. Even if you aren't President yet, you should still conduct yourself as such. NOT a good move for the McCain campaign.

October 7, 2008 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  4. Erika

That was completely rude! That one is on the same level as you, a senator and running for president therefore he is NOT beneath you in fact he is ahead of you in the polls. I am done with McCain!

October 7, 2008 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  5. Rachel

It was downright disrespectful. John McCain shows he's willing to go even lower than we thought he would.

How difficult would it have been to say Senator Obama, or even the Senator to my right., but that one.....simply wrong.

October 7, 2008 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  6. George

I would highlight the moment when John McCain asked "what were those three things again?", made Tom repeat them, wrote them down, and then didn't answer the question. Senator McCain seemed very old and not mentally sharp in this debate.

October 7, 2008 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  7. Jeremy

Mcain and Bush took pressure away from BIN Laden for easy target called Saddam Hussein. Mcain and Bush should be held responsible for all the loss of life,destruction to property and environment.

October 7, 2008 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  8. LS

Can't teach a old dog new tricks – McCain will always be rude and very disrespectful.

October 7, 2008 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  9. deidre

uh, okay...don't get why this is a big deal.

October 7, 2008 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  10. DV

Oh please, obama is not being realistic.

October 7, 2008 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  11. BS VA

Perhaps McCain had meant to say "You know which Senator voted for it? That one."

12. Collier

Why do both candidates always disregard the question that is posed to them? I'm about 95% Democrat, but if a Republican came in that actually spoke his mind and the truth without spending so much time talking about what they want to talk about and smearing each other, I would vote for them.

I don't want politics. I want truth, even if I don't agree with it.

13. Sam de Orlando, FL

When McCain says things and does things that are condescending to Obama, I feel like that's how he would treat me if I were to meet him. He wouldn't listen to my ideas, he would call me naive, and he probably wouldn't look me in the eye and give me some respect.
    That's why those tactics don't work.

14. Dan

The statement made me feel McCain was very angry.

The reaction from viewers was one of shock and disappointment.

15. ines

Bad choice of words by McCain.

Interesting that McCain's closing speech sounded exactly like a farewell speech (not just acknowledging the end of the debate).

16. Deb, Allentown,PA

Wow, wow, wow. While I'm an Obama supporter, I thought the first debate was a draw, other than McCain's inability to address Obama, which I thought hurt him.

This one, IMHO, was a clear, clear win for Obama. Incredible.

And by the way, I counted 17 "my friends", but I did have to leave the room for a few minutes. How many did everyone else count?

17. Gerard

Believe Obama superior to McCain on almost all points. Strongest ondifference on health care and war. Weakest difference on how to solve the financial mess.

18. changing times

Oh did you notice he wouldn't shake Obama's hand at the end of the debate.

19. Diane Dagenais Turbide

That one!

That was the reflection of the true McCain...the arrogance and the lack of respect! And I was expecting it to be this arrogant, disrespecful because he is facing his own failures of the past eight years and of this campaign!

20. independent

I find it interesting how McCain holds so much resentment towards Obama. My first thought is that he's a sore looser. Say it ain't so, Joe!

21. Liz Sullivan

I found McCain's reference to Obama as "that one" both demeaning and condescending...did he forget Obama's name or was he trying to be rude?

22. Amy in Texas

GIVE ME A BREAK YOU WHINING DEMOCRATS!!! It was nothing more than a comment. Anything to add race to it to win right democrats, you people are beyond low.

23. Nicolas Timerman Austin Tx

Why is it that no one is discussing McCain's blatant refusal to shake Obama's hand at the end of the debate?

24. Mack

No one won this farse called a debate..Was this the plan to have NBC and Tom Brokaw have a softball debate so Obama would look good. Call us when these two are asked real questions by real people. As for substance..McCain won..Obama was to scripted.

25. Kisha

It was disrespectful, but I am not surprised. I think McCain is very condescending, and I do not identify with him at all. Also, I think he should drop the "my friend" line, its not working for me. He does not seem more personable when he says this.

1 2 3