October 7th, 2008

Palin responds to questions from reporters

Palin visited reporters on the back of her campaign plane for the first time Tuesday.

(CNN) - Shortly before John McCain and Barack Obama took the stage for the second presidential debate, Governor Palin ventured back behind the curtain that separates her from those who cover her every public move, accompanied by senior aides (and a campaign photographer, who chronicled the historic summit between the Republican vice presidential nominee and the reporters who trail her.)

Palin shook hands and chatted with journalists in the press section of her campaign plane. After a few minutes of niceties, it turned into an unscheduled press conference.

A few highlights from the rare question-and-answer session, which included comments on William Ayers, her husband’s decision to testify in the Alaska trooper investigation – and what she thinks of Tina Fey's Palin impression on Saturday Night Live - after the jump.

On why Barack Obama’s links to William Ayers are relevant in the campaign:

PALIN: It is pertinent, it's important because when you consider Barack Obama's reaction to and explanation to his association there, and without him being clear at all on what he knew and when he knew it, that I think kinda peeks into his ability to tell us the truth on, not only on association but perhaps other things also. So, it's relevant, I believe, and I brought it up in response to the New York Times article having been printed recently, and I think it just makes us ask the question that, if there's not forthrightness there, with that association and what was known and when it was known, does that lead us to ask, is there forthrightness with the plans Barack Obama has or say tax cuts, or spending increases, makes us question judgment. And I think it's fair and relevant.

On whether Barack Obama is dishonest:

PALIN: I'm not saying that he is dishonest, but in terms of judgment and in terms of being able to answer a question forthrightly it has - it has two different parts to itL that judgment and that truthfulness and just being able to answer very candidly a simple question about ‘When did you know him, how did you know him? Is there still - has there been an association with him since ‘02 and ’05?’ We've heard a couple of different stories. I think it is relevant.

On whether she would appear on Saturday Night Live with Palin impressionist Tina Fey:

PALIN: I would love to. I would love to. I love her. She's a hoot and she's so talented and it would be fun to either imitate her or keep on giving her more material and keep her in business.

On why her husband Todd decided to change his mind and return to Alaska to testify in the official trooper investigation:

PALIN: He's always been an open book about this whole Tasergate issue, wanting to speak with investigators, wanting to speak and is with attorneys, everybody involved. The personnel board in the state of Alaska is that board tasked with dealing with any issue involving the governor, the lieutenant governor, or the attorney general.
What the investigation turned into, led by a Senate Democrat, has been kind of a goat rope, a very partisan and very controversial type of investigation. The personnel board Todd's corroborating with, as long as all the other employees too have an opportunity to cooperate with.

It's an open book. Nobody has anything to hide. Nobody's done anything wrong. My choice, and my responsibility to replace a cabinet member, an at-will exempt political appointment whom I did replace, because his strengths were in other areas. It wasn't in running an entire department. There was some, some duties there that he was not able to fulfill.

So my choice, my responsibility had nothing to do with my husband or any of my staff members asking a guy to step aside and take another job, and he didn't want to take that other job.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Dave in Seattle

Sarah Palin wants to imitate Tina Fey? I would love to see that!

October 8, 2008 03:42 am at 3:42 am |
  2. Bruce

I live in Ohio and we are voting for Sarah Palin. The first female Vice-President in 2008 and first female President of the U.S. in 2012. This country needs an outsider to fix our problems.

October 8, 2008 03:44 am at 3:44 am |
  3. Anoushka

Is it true that she wears fur?

October 8, 2008 03:49 am at 3:49 am |
  4. Frank Glendale Ca

Hey Proud Alaskan,

Please take her back... I beg you.

I been to Alaska plenty of times, nice place but as I remember you guys always get some money each year from the oil industry. It's not like 1,200 bucks. So she got you a little more GW gave me some as well did not do much to change my life.

Maybe we all should get a cut of that Alaska oil money.. it's our oil too I will never understand how some people fall in love with someone so quick and not know a thing about them.

What is clear... Is that she is No Energy Expert.! or an Expert at anything.

October 8, 2008 03:50 am at 3:50 am |
  5. INDEPENDANT VET

Read almostn 99% of these replys are all negative toward . HER,

WHY !!! FOR IT IS YOUR MEDIA AT WORK , IF YOUR REPLY IS NOT NEGATIVE , IT WILL GO INTO , DELETE.

SOME OUT THERE HAVE BEEN FEED LIES FOR SO LONG , THEY WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO HANDLE THE TRUTH. NOW IF HE SHOULD WIN . ALL THAT VOTED FOR HIM WILL HAVE A CARD AND NO. REMEMBER THEY ARE TO RECEIVE STUNDEN LOANS , MARKED PAID IN FULL . IF YOU CAN NOT AFFORD THAT HOME AN THAT PAIR OF SUV'S. HE WILL GIVE YOU A CHECK TO PAY IT OFF. NOW IF YOU LEARNED HOW TO LIE AS HE HAS , YOU WILL GET ANOTHER BONUS . HIS HEALTH CARE, KILLEM , FREE BURIAL. NEXT AN SO ON . . FOR A BILLION DOLLARS TO HIM , LIKE A DOLLAR TO A NEW BORN. PLAY MONEY , THAT IS WHY WE ARE IN ALL THIS FINICIAL TROUBLE , WITH ALL THE DC PORK BARRREL , AN ON THIS BAIL OUT , HOW MUCH WAS THAT THEY ATTACHED FOR , WOODEN ARROWS, YES WOODEN ARROWS.

I SAY WAKE UP , HOLLWOOD IS NOT THE WHITE HOUSE .

AND WE HAVE NOT HEARD THE RESULTS OF THE
    SUPREME COURTS FINDING ON CASE #O8-CV-04083 .
    THAT WILL PUT OBAMA TO REST WITH HIS LIES.

October 8, 2008 03:52 am at 3:52 am |
  6. Frank Glendale Ca

Hey Sarah,

You do know that they are making fun of you on SNL. ( RIGHT? )

October 8, 2008 03:53 am at 3:53 am |
  7. DeeJam

What is "straight talk" about that. All she does is spew hatred. Now she wants to try to tone it down a little for interviewers. I wish the people she spoke to at those rallies would really say something to her to let her know Americans don't want these kinds of tactics. Oh I guess I'm wrong! Her supporters love to hate. I don't want that as my leader.

October 8, 2008 03:56 am at 3:56 am |
  8. luc

You all should give Sarah Palin a break

at least she has made SNL more fun to watch.

I would love her....If I were Tina Fey!

October 8, 2008 03:58 am at 3:58 am |
  9. fwguru

I'm a life-long Republican voting for Obama/Biden, and I gotta say, I kinda like Palin. She's cute, funny, and probably very entertaining at parties. But she is definitely not that bright.

I learned something these past two elections (voted Bush on both) - always vote for the smarter leader. Intelligence counts. It is the underpinnings of good judgment.

As far as the "That One" comment, it's not a big deal. John McCain is old. He's just being himself. i don't think that he meant anything harmful by it. But given the surroundings and what's at stake, yes, it came across to most as disrespectful. I mean, really, it is disrespectful for your boss or teacher to say something like, "Guess who did not finish their project on time? THAT ONE?" I would take offense to that. I would not make a big deal, but I would take offense to that. I think most people would.

Peace

October 8, 2008 03:59 am at 3:59 am |
  10. Neil

The world has held its breath for the past eight years with Bush and Cheney. It would choke completely with a McCain/Palin Presidency!

October 8, 2008 03:59 am at 3:59 am |
  11. Amazed...

Wow! All this hate speech. It's one thing to dislike a person's views but to attack their character or intelligence? Seems to me she should be evaluated on past performance as Gov. and on her vision and views. If you don't think she's up to the job don't vote for her. When all you do is gloat, slander & belittle, you don't highlight her shortcomings only your hatred.

October 8, 2008 04:08 am at 4:08 am |
  12. denise kroening

Palin do you really think you set a good example as a mother and a christian. Your behavoir, has proved other than a true christian , and a mother who role models maturity for her children. To stoop so low as to call senator Obama a terriosit is unbelievable. Is the Joe six pack comment the best you can do. Apparently we've witnessed your best during a time when America is in serious crisis. On the bright side of things I'm so glad I don't live in Alaska

October 8, 2008 04:11 am at 4:11 am |
  13. Denise

Forget seeing Palin on Jeopardy, she couldn't even handle "Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader".

October 8, 2008 04:14 am at 4:14 am |
  14. Eli

If I'm not mistake in Palin actually talking about how the American people shouldn't trust Obama because he doesn't answer questions with exact answers. Pot calling Kettle again.... hell that should be the McCain/Palin new motto because almost every time they speak they say something negative about Obama that they do themselves.

they talk about the liberal media -> where was that talk for the 2 or so weeks the media was focused on the Rev.
    they talk about Obama "dirty" campaigning -> oh please I wish I could find one McCain ad that didn't distort facts
    they talk about how Palin will bring new ideas to the White House -> how does this not apply to Obama as well

October 8, 2008 04:15 am at 4:15 am |
  15. 4 THE CONSTITUTION

Palin is the dishonest one. Hiding e-mail from the court. Refusing to honor a supena. Supporting the Alaska Independence Party-treason. She is the terrorist-inciting crowds to hate Obama.She supports witchunting. She shoots defenseless animals from a helicopter. The woman is nasty, mean, and dangerous. She has taken total advantage of Biden's family tragedy to hit the stump unchallenged. She and McSame have no honor.

October 8, 2008 04:20 am at 4:20 am |
  16. did anyone notice

Perhaps you failed to notice Obama's serious mis-step when speaking about Pakistan. Thank God he wasn't speaking with Pakistan when he said it! Are we to trust this man to speak to foriegn powers when he so tragically mis-spoke to us. He openly threatened them. Pakistan is watching our elections too. We won't have to worry about our economic crisis here at home – if Obama make those types of mistakes in foriegn policy – we won't have a home.

October 8, 2008 04:33 am at 4:33 am |
  17. Nicki Coursey

I don't want Sarah in Washington, D.C., but I don't want her in Juneau, AK either. After Obama becomes President, Sarah can go back to Wasilla to be mayor again. She certainly is not my choice for governing my city, state or country.
    Nicki in Anchorage, AK

October 8, 2008 04:45 am at 4:45 am |
  18. Michelle

I can not believe that republican posters are really that delusional. Sarah Palin is not qualified to lead our country! She is a clueless, illiterate liar. She spouts hate speech and stands idly by, smiling, while zealots at her rallies scream "KILL HIM" referring to Obama. She spouts lies every time her mouth opens, saying things that multiple fact check organizations have already proven are false. Saying Obama pals around with terrorists because he served on a board of a non-profit with Ayers is ridiculous. Ayers was found innocent all those years ago for what Sarah says he did when Obama was 8 years old. He does not have a felony conviction or he would not be a professor at a public university. Saying that Obama thinks his country is imperfect while she does not is laughable since she and her husband are members of the Alaska Independence Party who wants Alaska to secede from the U.S. Putting country first means all of the U.S., Sarah, not just the country of Alaska. Wanting the U.S. flag to have 49 stars is not putting Country First!

October 8, 2008 04:49 am at 4:49 am |
  19. nguyet dinh

I am not American hence I can't vote. However I follow this election closely.

I can't stand McCain and Palin. I just don't understand what a 72 years old man can do for his country or he runs this campaign just to satisfy his power thirst. I also failed to figure out what a no-brainer like Sarah Palin can contribute to America. Her tone makes me sick. McCain's "my friends" is just so fake and I start changing channel, just can't stand the fake enthusiasm. I agreed with someone saying that Palin is an insulting to modern women. We are not that stupid, sly and greedy. She can't represent me as a woman, not ever.

I hope and pray that American will be wiser up this time to choose Obama.

October 8, 2008 07:44 am at 7:44 am |
  20. Fernando

I'm so sad for America. Just the fact that we have to consider someone like Palin for the Oval Office is a disgrace, an insult to people's inteligence and the worst, it gives us an idea of how low we are getting as a country. The world should be laughing. That One please.

October 8, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |