October 7th, 2008

Palin responds to questions from reporters

Palin visited reporters on the back of her campaign plane for the first time Tuesday.

(CNN) - Shortly before John McCain and Barack Obama took the stage for the second presidential debate, Governor Palin ventured back behind the curtain that separates her from those who cover her every public move, accompanied by senior aides (and a campaign photographer, who chronicled the historic summit between the Republican vice presidential nominee and the reporters who trail her.)

Palin shook hands and chatted with journalists in the press section of her campaign plane. After a few minutes of niceties, it turned into an unscheduled press conference.

A few highlights from the rare question-and-answer session, which included comments on William Ayers, her husband’s decision to testify in the Alaska trooper investigation – and what she thinks of Tina Fey's Palin impression on Saturday Night Live - after the jump.

On why Barack Obama’s links to William Ayers are relevant in the campaign:

PALIN: It is pertinent, it's important because when you consider Barack Obama's reaction to and explanation to his association there, and without him being clear at all on what he knew and when he knew it, that I think kinda peeks into his ability to tell us the truth on, not only on association but perhaps other things also. So, it's relevant, I believe, and I brought it up in response to the New York Times article having been printed recently, and I think it just makes us ask the question that, if there's not forthrightness there, with that association and what was known and when it was known, does that lead us to ask, is there forthrightness with the plans Barack Obama has or say tax cuts, or spending increases, makes us question judgment. And I think it's fair and relevant.

On whether Barack Obama is dishonest:

PALIN: I'm not saying that he is dishonest, but in terms of judgment and in terms of being able to answer a question forthrightly it has - it has two different parts to itL that judgment and that truthfulness and just being able to answer very candidly a simple question about ‘When did you know him, how did you know him? Is there still - has there been an association with him since ‘02 and ’05?’ We've heard a couple of different stories. I think it is relevant.

On whether she would appear on Saturday Night Live with Palin impressionist Tina Fey:

PALIN: I would love to. I would love to. I love her. She's a hoot and she's so talented and it would be fun to either imitate her or keep on giving her more material and keep her in business.

On why her husband Todd decided to change his mind and return to Alaska to testify in the official trooper investigation:

PALIN: He's always been an open book about this whole Tasergate issue, wanting to speak with investigators, wanting to speak and is with attorneys, everybody involved. The personnel board in the state of Alaska is that board tasked with dealing with any issue involving the governor, the lieutenant governor, or the attorney general.
What the investigation turned into, led by a Senate Democrat, has been kind of a goat rope, a very partisan and very controversial type of investigation. The personnel board Todd's corroborating with, as long as all the other employees too have an opportunity to cooperate with.

It's an open book. Nobody has anything to hide. Nobody's done anything wrong. My choice, and my responsibility to replace a cabinet member, an at-will exempt political appointment whom I did replace, because his strengths were in other areas. It wasn't in running an entire department. There was some, some duties there that he was not able to fulfill.

So my choice, my responsibility had nothing to do with my husband or any of my staff members asking a guy to step aside and take another job, and he didn't want to take that other job.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. That One?

That One has my vote !

October 8, 2008 12:46 am at 12:46 am |
  2. ron

Palin and simple – who cares! She is not qualified to be VP let alone a Governer!

October 8, 2008 12:46 am at 12:46 am |
  3. Walt

I think Mr Carville tonight hit the nail on the head and I thank him. Based on the polls, the economy, our foreign standings, and the debates, the only way McCain wins is in a racist America.

Print this CNN, let's see what you get. If Obama was white this would be a done deal. I challenge all the McCain supporters to be honest and say what was said in the bathroom in Trading Places.

What you gonna do America?

October 8, 2008 12:46 am at 12:46 am |
  4. go away mongers- Ventura,CA

A nominee for Vice President talks with the Press? Unheard of! (At least in Palin's world).
    Between Grumpy Old Man and Carribou Barbies, I think the gop has some work to do!
    ENOUGH!

October 8, 2008 12:46 am at 12:46 am |
  5. GF

THAT ONE '08

October 8, 2008 12:47 am at 12:47 am |
  6. Stan

In two years Sarah will be answer on Jeopardy but she'll never be a contestant.

October 8, 2008 12:47 am at 12:47 am |
  7. Dave

The straight talk express is about to run off the end of the bridge to nowhere. The wreckage can be sold on e-bay and Gov. Palin can then return to Alaska to keep an eye on Russia for us all (wink wink).

October 8, 2008 12:47 am at 12:47 am |
  8. sam

She is contributing nothing to this country, just spreading nastiness. And if they have nothing to hide, why avoid testifying? She needs to go home to Alaska as soon as possible.

October 8, 2008 12:47 am at 12:47 am |
  9. Kaye FL

Tasergate? Here comes the spin.

Ayers is old news and if you read something other than People or National Inquirer you would have heard about it before now.

You Ms Palin are inciting violence, fear and hate in your campaign, so much for Country First. It is McCain/Palin at all cost, whatever the cost.
    No way, no how, no McCain

October 8, 2008 12:50 am at 12:50 am |
  10. Joe B.

Joe Biden is better than that. I repeat. Joe Biden is better than THAT.

October 8, 2008 12:50 am at 12:50 am |
  11. joanmartha

Good grief. It's beyond appalling that this woman is the Republican vice presidential nominee.

October 8, 2008 12:50 am at 12:50 am |
  12. Tylor

"...it would be fun to either imitate her or keep on giving her more material and keep her in business."

I think these questions, and every additional press release or interview she gives keeps not only Tina Fey, but any satorialist or comedian in business. Why would we even want to contemplate this person as a president. I don't want an average Joe type person running my country...didn't we just have that? I want someone smarter than me, someone I WON'T find at my kids' soccer game.

Obama is not even a choice at this point, it's just common sense.

October 8, 2008 12:50 am at 12:50 am |
  13. Julia

Do people not realize that Ayers was never convicted of anything? If hes such a "terrorist" then why isnt he behind bars. Oh.. right.. because hes not one. Why is he a professor, and education advocate, and amongst other things charitable volunteer of his own time.

Wheres the outrage at the Univeristy of Illinois for employing him? Oh.. right..

Palin is fraudulent trailer trash.

October 8, 2008 12:50 am at 12:50 am |
  14. FrankSmith

Wow, I could hardly understand the responses of Sarah Palin. It might have been useful for the journalists to rewrite these sentences for the average 9th-grade reader like myself.

October 8, 2008 12:51 am at 12:51 am |
  15. Republicans for Obama

PALIN: I would love to. I would love to. I love her. She's a hoot and she's so talented and it would be fun to either imitate her or keep on giving her more material and "keep her in business".

I think Tina Fey will have a job after November 4th, all Palin will get is a book deal....

October 8, 2008 12:51 am at 12:51 am |
  16. James Araujo

Sarah Palin, try something else. Or even better, go back to Alaska and look at the Russians from your home, because this is just desperate talk of a desperate campaign.

October 8, 2008 12:52 am at 12:52 am |
  17. PAUL

She is a great puppet. I don't know what to make of her. She certainly doesn't do service to John McCain or the country. I wonder who is pulling her wires.

October 8, 2008 12:53 am at 12:53 am |
  18. Rob indetroit

"That one" Ladies&Gentalmen the President of the United States of, America Barack Obama.

October 8, 2008 12:53 am at 12:53 am |
  19. Minnesotan for Dems

Think they need to rename the straight talk express to the "gibberish" express, I doubt even Einstien would be able to understand her answers...

October 8, 2008 12:53 am at 12:53 am |
  20. Aaron

As I was reading this, I started to feel sorry for the person who had to type it out. There were 10 commas in one sentence somewhere up there, don't you know? (wink)

October 8, 2008 12:54 am at 12:54 am |
  21. Patrick, Fairfield, CA

I just had a moment of clarity, just as Samuel L. Jackson said in Pulp Fiction – take a look at the Fact Check question below this ticker question and notice what looks like a confused, broken, and defeated McCain in the background. For the first time ever during this election, I felt sorry for him. But not enough to vote for him.

Oh, by the way, who is Sarah Palin?

October 8, 2008 12:54 am at 12:54 am |
  22. R. Squibbs

I love the way the bare fact that she actually *talked* to reporters is headline news.

Reporters shouldn't even bother covering her hateful rallies at this point. We already know that the difference between Sarah Palin and a pit bull is that a pit bull is smarter.

October 8, 2008 12:54 am at 12:54 am |
  23. Deb

The selection of Palin backfired big time. If she can't face a room full of reporters, how could she possibly face a "bad guy" leader from another country in 4 short months??

You betchya she is a Washington outsider, go back to Alaska with Joe-six-pack. Maybe Cindy McCain can arrange free 6 packs for life?

Tomorrow McCain/Palin will be back to bashing and off the issues, again. Wish it was Nov. 4th already. Go Obama!!

October 8, 2008 12:54 am at 12:54 am |
  24. ohio

is she alive???????? pit you should be attacking obama now what are you doing

October 8, 2008 12:54 am at 12:54 am |