October 7th, 2008

Palin responds to questions from reporters

Palin visited reporters on the back of her campaign plane for the first time Tuesday.

(CNN) - Shortly before John McCain and Barack Obama took the stage for the second presidential debate, Governor Palin ventured back behind the curtain that separates her from those who cover her every public move, accompanied by senior aides (and a campaign photographer, who chronicled the historic summit between the Republican vice presidential nominee and the reporters who trail her.)

Palin shook hands and chatted with journalists in the press section of her campaign plane. After a few minutes of niceties, it turned into an unscheduled press conference.

A few highlights from the rare question-and-answer session, which included comments on William Ayers, her husband’s decision to testify in the Alaska trooper investigation – and what she thinks of Tina Fey's Palin impression on Saturday Night Live - after the jump.

On why Barack Obama’s links to William Ayers are relevant in the campaign:

PALIN: It is pertinent, it's important because when you consider Barack Obama's reaction to and explanation to his association there, and without him being clear at all on what he knew and when he knew it, that I think kinda peeks into his ability to tell us the truth on, not only on association but perhaps other things also. So, it's relevant, I believe, and I brought it up in response to the New York Times article having been printed recently, and I think it just makes us ask the question that, if there's not forthrightness there, with that association and what was known and when it was known, does that lead us to ask, is there forthrightness with the plans Barack Obama has or say tax cuts, or spending increases, makes us question judgment. And I think it's fair and relevant.

On whether Barack Obama is dishonest:

PALIN: I'm not saying that he is dishonest, but in terms of judgment and in terms of being able to answer a question forthrightly it has - it has two different parts to itL that judgment and that truthfulness and just being able to answer very candidly a simple question about ‘When did you know him, how did you know him? Is there still - has there been an association with him since ‘02 and ’05?’ We've heard a couple of different stories. I think it is relevant.

On whether she would appear on Saturday Night Live with Palin impressionist Tina Fey:

PALIN: I would love to. I would love to. I love her. She's a hoot and she's so talented and it would be fun to either imitate her or keep on giving her more material and keep her in business.

On why her husband Todd decided to change his mind and return to Alaska to testify in the official trooper investigation:

PALIN: He's always been an open book about this whole Tasergate issue, wanting to speak with investigators, wanting to speak and is with attorneys, everybody involved. The personnel board in the state of Alaska is that board tasked with dealing with any issue involving the governor, the lieutenant governor, or the attorney general.
What the investigation turned into, led by a Senate Democrat, has been kind of a goat rope, a very partisan and very controversial type of investigation. The personnel board Todd's corroborating with, as long as all the other employees too have an opportunity to cooperate with.

It's an open book. Nobody has anything to hide. Nobody's done anything wrong. My choice, and my responsibility to replace a cabinet member, an at-will exempt political appointment whom I did replace, because his strengths were in other areas. It wasn't in running an entire department. There was some, some duties there that he was not able to fulfill.

So my choice, my responsibility had nothing to do with my husband or any of my staff members asking a guy to step aside and take another job, and he didn't want to take that other job.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. ohio

THA ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHA MCCAIN ANOTHER KICK ON YOUR BACK

October 8, 2008 12:56 am at 12:56 am |
  2. They're warming up "taps" for the McCain Campaign

Hey Sara,

Better stock up on lipstick while you're down here in the lower 48!!!

Because in case you're wonderin' if you'll be headin' North to Alaska for GOOD after November 4th...I can tell YA with all certainty "YOU BETCHA!!!!"

BTW, thought I'd drop all my "g's" so ya'd understand it. I realize you need for things to be in the the hicks-ville style lingo. So how's that workin' for ya????

GO HOME HEIFER!!!!!!!!

AND STAY THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Obama / Biden 08 & 12

October 8, 2008 12:56 am at 12:56 am |
  3. Paul Dobro

"Tasergate"???????

The taser thing occured 3 years before the divorce and THAT is when it got reported. He did it with Bristol in the room while Sarah's sister was upstairs. The kid wanted to feel what it was like to get tasered.

Goat rope – what the heck is that?

open book that wants to only cooperate with a personal board that can keep the investigation out of the public????

Huh????

October 8, 2008 12:57 am at 12:57 am |
  4. joe

I respect the fact that Tina Fey untangles Sarah Palin's sentences before speaking her lines – at least I can understand the former.

October 8, 2008 12:57 am at 12:57 am |
  5. Annie

why isn't CNN publicizing the Palin's connections to the Alaska Independence Party, whose founder, Joe Vogler, made lots of terroristic threats against the Federal government, even persuading Iran to sponsor his anti-American harangue at the UN in 1993.

October 8, 2008 12:57 am at 12:57 am |
  6. meow mix

The way the media has blown this entire thing out of porportion, you would think he was the only person that Gov. Palin fired or offered a position that he was more suited and competent. If everyone will check the records, I believe there are several "good ole boys" that were replaced by Gov. Palin and she did not target or single out one individual. That is a position that needs someone professional and able to handle the job and she did what she needed to do to find a leader that fit the job description more approprietely. After all she is the one that was going to have to work with him. What is all the fuss about. Her ex-brother-in-law admitted that he did things that he should not have done. His own guilt shows Gov. Palin did the right thing. Now, for crying out loud, let go of it and let's get on with getting our country back on track and people back to work and get this national debt under control along with all the other issues that face our country, like Keeping Our Freedom, our country safe and countless other business.

October 8, 2008 12:58 am at 12:58 am |
  7. Joggo

Nothing scares me more than SP becoming President of united States and Commander in Chief. God forbit.

JM

October 8, 2008 12:58 am at 12:58 am |
  8. Suzanne

Yesterday's Man and Wilderness Gidget need to pack up and go home.

October 8, 2008 12:58 am at 12:58 am |
  9. rocky

The McCain-Palin ticket is an egregious insult to our collective intelligence.

October 8, 2008 12:59 am at 12:59 am |
  10. McCain's crash landin' on 11/4/08

SEE YA SARA...no wait, we won't be seein' ya soon now will we??? Thank GOD!!!

GO HOME!!!! AND STAY THERE!!!!!!!!

Obama / Biden 08 & 12

October 8, 2008 12:59 am at 12:59 am |
  11. Rob indetroit

AS a Barack Obama supporter i would like to see pictures of Bill Ayers, i think aLOT OF AMERICANS WOULD Like to see what bill ayers looks like, people will be suprised too see him looking like a 60's flower child and not a "Black Panther".

October 8, 2008 12:59 am at 12:59 am |
  12. kristine

incredible. i never thought we'd find a national political figure more inarticulate than W. palin's at least his equal if not his superior. no wonder she attended 6 different colleges – took a while to find one willing to grant her a degree. what a dumb bunny.........

October 8, 2008 12:59 am at 12:59 am |
  13. wyoming dem

What??? My brain hurts. The lipstick on this pitbull is smudged. For someone who got her degree in journalism, you would think that she could speak in complete sentences....
    THAT ONE is going to be in the white house and Sarah will not be able to see him from her house.

October 8, 2008 01:00 am at 1:00 am |
  14. Accent in Life

This is the same person that is ABOVE THE LAW, who says that I do not care about any summons and that the law does not apply to her. Is this not what Mr. Bush and the dark victory VP “so called” have done for the past eight years when they make up their own laws and ignore Congressional summons?

This is the person that tries to tell us … oh, I am like you so you have to vote for me, see I drink beer (oh, a six pack at that), I am a hockey mom, and I don’t talk like them I want to fool you like Mr. Bush. Yes, this is that person (sorry ladies, IF I CALLED HER A LADY THE GOP MIGHT WEEP). Oh, wait … I am part of that GOP, not any more … I am an AMERICAN FIRST.

October 8, 2008 01:01 am at 1:01 am |
  15. angel M.

I live with a true repubilican, voted that way all his life. the thing is he is not a follower, he is voting for obama

October 8, 2008 01:01 am at 1:01 am |
  16. Dakota

I consider it an insult to womankind and my intelligence that Palin is the best the McCain camp could do. Please.. do you mean to tell me she is a representation of what woman are in this country.. dumb and being used. With some hope of creating the same sort of exciting change that the Obama ticket is creating. Please... I am apalled I am quite sure there is a woman somewhere, at the bus stop, on the freeway, somewhere who could have done a better job... I am apalled.

October 8, 2008 01:01 am at 1:01 am |
  17. MidWest Mom

I know she didn't go there, and say that Obama dosen't answer the questions in a straight way HA! As my grandma would say "she has gotten to big for her britches", Who does this twit think she is, she gave one good "speech" at a debate, and she is attack dog all over again PUHLEASE! Stick a fork in McCain Palin because they are done, this cake is baked. ONLY in a racist America will Obama loose he is truly the most qualified at this point. So if I have to choose between the two I choose "THAT ONE"!!!!!

October 8, 2008 01:01 am at 1:01 am |
  18. Captaintight

"corroborating with" Freudian slip!!

October 8, 2008 01:02 am at 1:02 am |
  19. Diane

Good lord. A box of rocks has a distinct intellectual advantage over Governor Palin.

October 8, 2008 01:03 am at 1:03 am |
  20. Hilary B

They should have asked her why she's not addressing the issue of people making death threats on B.O. at her rallies.

October 8, 2008 01:03 am at 1:03 am |
  21. Captaintight

"corroborating with" – Freudian slip!

October 8, 2008 01:03 am at 1:03 am |
  22. Adam

I thought Christians aren't supposed to speak evil of others. Where is the love? The more negative she is, the more her ratings are going to drop. It happened to Hillary, it will happen to Sarah. It's like on Project Runway...."Like in fashion....one day you are In...and the next day you're out!" Her nasty, unloving remarks today have nothing to do with the reality of what happened tonight. Auf Wiedersehen, Sarah.

October 8, 2008 01:03 am at 1:03 am |
  23. diana

Putting Palin on the ticket is an insult to women, and to the intelligence of the American public. We do not need hockey moms to run the country; we've had a 'good ol boy' doing it for the last 8 years and see where it has got us. We need educated people with an ability to select good advisers and to manage. Can you imagine Palin figuring out how to fix the economy or tackle Iran?

We women did not battle to get equal treatment – including work and education opportunities - just to get an ex-beauty queen into power. Give us some respect, Mr Mc Cain.

October 8, 2008 01:04 am at 1:04 am |
  24. kaydeedee, nashville tn

This woman never ceases to amaze me. Amazed that ANYONE is taken her seriously. (I read some stuff today about how so many conservatives are excited at the thought of having her run for prez in 2012!) She's incoherent, hostile to real women's issues, a hate- and fear-mongerer, and not too smart. Cunning, yes. Intelligent, nope.

October 8, 2008 01:05 am at 1:05 am |
  25. angel M.

there is a point at which you have to say what is good for our children and what is good for our country. If john can say he crosses party lines but then never really does who are you repubs being faithful too? he never has the same plan from day to day so why are u undecided? please give this country a chance for our children. god speed obama and bidon. with all this hate bating from palin and McCain let us choose another path for the ones who never seen this coming, our children!

October 8, 2008 01:05 am at 1:05 am |