October 7th, 2008

Palin responds to questions from reporters

Palin visited reporters on the back of her campaign plane for the first time Tuesday.

(CNN) - Shortly before John McCain and Barack Obama took the stage for the second presidential debate, Governor Palin ventured back behind the curtain that separates her from those who cover her every public move, accompanied by senior aides (and a campaign photographer, who chronicled the historic summit between the Republican vice presidential nominee and the reporters who trail her.)

Palin shook hands and chatted with journalists in the press section of her campaign plane. After a few minutes of niceties, it turned into an unscheduled press conference.

A few highlights from the rare question-and-answer session, which included comments on William Ayers, her husband’s decision to testify in the Alaska trooper investigation – and what she thinks of Tina Fey's Palin impression on Saturday Night Live - after the jump.

On why Barack Obama’s links to William Ayers are relevant in the campaign:

PALIN: It is pertinent, it's important because when you consider Barack Obama's reaction to and explanation to his association there, and without him being clear at all on what he knew and when he knew it, that I think kinda peeks into his ability to tell us the truth on, not only on association but perhaps other things also. So, it's relevant, I believe, and I brought it up in response to the New York Times article having been printed recently, and I think it just makes us ask the question that, if there's not forthrightness there, with that association and what was known and when it was known, does that lead us to ask, is there forthrightness with the plans Barack Obama has or say tax cuts, or spending increases, makes us question judgment. And I think it's fair and relevant.

On whether Barack Obama is dishonest:

PALIN: I'm not saying that he is dishonest, but in terms of judgment and in terms of being able to answer a question forthrightly it has - it has two different parts to itL that judgment and that truthfulness and just being able to answer very candidly a simple question about ‘When did you know him, how did you know him? Is there still - has there been an association with him since ‘02 and ’05?’ We've heard a couple of different stories. I think it is relevant.

On whether she would appear on Saturday Night Live with Palin impressionist Tina Fey:

PALIN: I would love to. I would love to. I love her. She's a hoot and she's so talented and it would be fun to either imitate her or keep on giving her more material and keep her in business.

On why her husband Todd decided to change his mind and return to Alaska to testify in the official trooper investigation:

PALIN: He's always been an open book about this whole Tasergate issue, wanting to speak with investigators, wanting to speak and is with attorneys, everybody involved. The personnel board in the state of Alaska is that board tasked with dealing with any issue involving the governor, the lieutenant governor, or the attorney general.
What the investigation turned into, led by a Senate Democrat, has been kind of a goat rope, a very partisan and very controversial type of investigation. The personnel board Todd's corroborating with, as long as all the other employees too have an opportunity to cooperate with.

It's an open book. Nobody has anything to hide. Nobody's done anything wrong. My choice, and my responsibility to replace a cabinet member, an at-will exempt political appointment whom I did replace, because his strengths were in other areas. It wasn't in running an entire department. There was some, some duties there that he was not able to fulfill.

So my choice, my responsibility had nothing to do with my husband or any of my staff members asking a guy to step aside and take another job, and he didn't want to take that other job.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Who in the heck.....

Who in the heck.....is Joe Six-pack?

Sounds like a partyin fool, who enjoys the company of under-age girls and a sells a little meth on the side?

Someone help me out here

Sincerely,
    Joe Taxpayer

October 8, 2008 01:05 am at 1:05 am |
  2. aware

Ha-ha-ha-ha! :)

Sarah Palin really gets under your skin Obama fans!

It must be hard to hear the truth from an authentic rising star.

October 8, 2008 01:06 am at 1:06 am |
  3. Brian

Palin may trick some Americans into thinking she's a fresh, hot female politician ... but she's really just another ugly, conservative republican spreading hate, fear and lies.

I hope McCain/Palin are buried once and for all in the hole they've dug for themselves.

October 8, 2008 01:06 am at 1:06 am |
  4. ron

Ayers got off on a technicality. Ilegal wire tap

October 8, 2008 01:07 am at 1:07 am |
  5. Frank Glendale Ca

Hey Honey,

It's too late now, nothing you can do beside talk to your base and these last days are going to be long and hard for you. It's over.

But I do have a question... If you’re drowning and a man or Woman is throwing you a rope, what difference does his or her race make?

We are drowning and I hope America is better in 2008 than it was in my father’s day. Ignorance has always been a trait of bigots, I hope they are smart enough to grab the rope or we will all drown.

My heart and head wants the answer to be race won’t cost Obama the election? I think we are past the point of doing so.

Which ever way this election goes ,it will speak volumns of who we are and how far we have come, or yet to go.

October 8, 2008 01:07 am at 1:07 am |
  6. John - Disillusioned in Va.

Did Gov.Palin Really refer to the Firing as "TASERGATE" ???
    That MUST be the "NEW GOP SPIN" on what's going on in Alaska.
    I thought that he was FIRED over "BUDGET DISAGREEMENTS"
    Guess that didn't resonate well with the TRUTH...
    So let's try to SPIN this a different way...
    SO TYPICAL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 8, 2008 01:07 am at 1:07 am |
  7. Ayers

Not only am I not a terrorist, but I was named citizen of the year (or something like that) by Chicago Mayor for my charitable works.

THAT ONE '08!!! Please make that bumper sticker for me!!!

October 8, 2008 01:07 am at 1:07 am |
  8. matt

Could have supported John. Pailin needs to stop being... well stop ...talking... being a slap to America... and threating more wars with bad information. i am a us army man. my brother is still in the air force and back and foth to middle east....undisclosed locations. sick of all the bad intell we get.... poli-tricks (policy tricks) as we call them. I tell both candidates no more war to obama and mccain for one reason. no more war for oil and our secret intrests that are hidden from the people that serve. no more. you used us. used our lives for oil not American safety. please. need your help.

October 8, 2008 01:08 am at 1:08 am |
  9. 4ThatOne

Obama's Biden his time as McCain's Palin in the polls

October 8, 2008 01:08 am at 1:08 am |
  10. jon germany

Obama....THAT ONE who WON......

October 8, 2008 01:08 am at 1:08 am |
  11. Dennis

I saw a Republican bumper sticker today. It said "The Hero and the Hottie" or something very close to that. Is that the best they can do? We're supposed to vote for them because McCain's a hero (Vietnam thirty-five years ago, and not at all like John Kerry, remember) and Palin's a "hottie?" Well, at least it's honest about why they picked Palin – someone thought her "hottness" would get votes. So much for her feminist appeal.

October 8, 2008 01:08 am at 1:08 am |
  12. Bridget

It's amazing - she has the speaking and grammar skills of George Bush and the philosophy of Dick Cheney. Thanks but no thanks!

October 8, 2008 01:09 am at 1:09 am |
  13. Jane

McCains judgement is proven to be very poor in selecting her.
    I mean, yikes!

October 8, 2008 01:10 am at 1:10 am |
  14. Pete in LA

The woman is a moron of the first order. A real intellectual insect.

October 8, 2008 01:10 am at 1:10 am |
  15. Lynn

Yikes. Add in another independent voting for "that one" rather than the cranky old one.

I was somewhat torn between Obama and McCain at the beginning of the campaign. I used to be a Republican, but left when the party became more and more fiscally irresponsible, and turned into an arm of the religious right. I am fairly fiscally conservative, but am a straight-up liberal on most social issues.

However, the minute the Senator chose Gov. Palin as his running mate, it became clear that he was willing to sell his maverick credentials in order to appease the religious right. He drove this Independent to Obama, despite my very real misgivings about some of his fiscal policies and his experience.

I guess I should thank Sen. McCain for making my choice clear.

October 8, 2008 01:10 am at 1:10 am |
  16. Karen

Question judgment? It is Sarah Palin's judgment that needs to be questioned. She is dangerous for America because her statements regarding Obama, in this highly charged climate, promotes hatred and violence in this country which can be seen by the incident that occured today. America does not need this language and type of behavior at this time or any other time. And Sarah Palin is promoting this with her words.

I hope American's can pull together in this time of crisis, which in my opinion, is no different from 9/11 and elect the best man for the job without regard to his race, religion, etc. We certainly have enough people who hate us outside of America so we certainly do not need to promote hate within America. If we don't, we will all lose and we will all fail. United we stand, divided we fall.

Use your brain Sarah!

October 8, 2008 01:11 am at 1:11 am |
  17. That one 08

We need an intelligent person in white house to clean up the mess and decline of last year. Lets support that one – Obama

October 8, 2008 01:11 am at 1:11 am |
  18. IndependentMadeUpMind

Sarah Palin is clueless! She needs to worry about her own terrorist affiliating husband.

October 8, 2008 01:11 am at 1:11 am |
  19. Aaron

Sarah Palin is clearly one of the most despicable, uninformed, and inarticulate people to ever be placed in the position of running for high office. Dhe has degraded the Republican tciket, she is easly one of the most ill-informed candidates of any modern election, and what is more she is the pick of John McCain, who had demonstrated time and again he does not have good judgement. Moreover, Ms. Palin has become a reminder of just how ugly politics can be – in that in a time of absolute crisis internally and around the globe, shoe chooses to offer nothing but smears and McCathyism type dribble. NO reasonable person can see this woman as qualfied, no McCain as having good judgment in choosing her.

October 8, 2008 01:12 am at 1:12 am |
  20. Carl from MI

OPEN BOOK? HOLD ME ACCOUNTABLE??

Yeah, right!! Her and everyone involved with her have totally avoided the Troopergate investigation...opting out instead for the Personnel Board investigation that OBVIOUSLY won't return an objective investigation BECAUSE THEY WORK FOR AND SERVE AT THE PLEASURE OF THE GOVERNOR!! DUH!! THIS IS A NO BRAINER!!

It's time for her to reap what she has sown....

WAKE UP, AMERICA!!! VOTE SMART... NOT SENILE!!!

October 8, 2008 01:12 am at 1:12 am |
  21. MemeForObama

Rather than lies and attacks on obama, i suggest palin goes back to Alaska and learn to read and how to make a correct sentence.

She's dumb as hell and this is not what America needs in the white house.

October 8, 2008 01:13 am at 1:13 am |
  22. Douglas, Los Angeles

I wish Sat. Nite Live does not take her. I've seen enough of this hateful woman. What an awful example for a Christian.

October 8, 2008 01:14 am at 1:14 am |
  23. ObamaMama

Hey Sarah Palin (with lyrics/subtitles)
    it is sung to the tune of Hey There Delilia – sooo funny.
    look it up on youtube

October 8, 2008 01:16 am at 1:16 am |
  24. Christian for Obama

What's next, Caribou Barbie? Will you whip up your mob of Joe Sixpacks and go out and do some lynching?

October 8, 2008 01:16 am at 1:16 am |
  25. American Dream

Is she speaking gibberish or in tongues? I would vote for practically any opposing ticket simply to keep this person out of the White House.

And implying Obama is a terrorist to an audience of right -wing lunatics is simply a threat to our national security. Unspeakably stupid and dangerous.

October 8, 2008 01:16 am at 1:16 am |