October 7th, 2008

Palin responds to questions from reporters

Palin visited reporters on the back of her campaign plane for the first time Tuesday.

(CNN) - Shortly before John McCain and Barack Obama took the stage for the second presidential debate, Governor Palin ventured back behind the curtain that separates her from those who cover her every public move, accompanied by senior aides (and a campaign photographer, who chronicled the historic summit between the Republican vice presidential nominee and the reporters who trail her.)

Palin shook hands and chatted with journalists in the press section of her campaign plane. After a few minutes of niceties, it turned into an unscheduled press conference.

A few highlights from the rare question-and-answer session, which included comments on William Ayers, her husband’s decision to testify in the Alaska trooper investigation – and what she thinks of Tina Fey's Palin impression on Saturday Night Live - after the jump.

On why Barack Obama’s links to William Ayers are relevant in the campaign:

PALIN: It is pertinent, it's important because when you consider Barack Obama's reaction to and explanation to his association there, and without him being clear at all on what he knew and when he knew it, that I think kinda peeks into his ability to tell us the truth on, not only on association but perhaps other things also. So, it's relevant, I believe, and I brought it up in response to the New York Times article having been printed recently, and I think it just makes us ask the question that, if there's not forthrightness there, with that association and what was known and when it was known, does that lead us to ask, is there forthrightness with the plans Barack Obama has or say tax cuts, or spending increases, makes us question judgment. And I think it's fair and relevant.

On whether Barack Obama is dishonest:

PALIN: I'm not saying that he is dishonest, but in terms of judgment and in terms of being able to answer a question forthrightly it has - it has two different parts to itL that judgment and that truthfulness and just being able to answer very candidly a simple question about ‘When did you know him, how did you know him? Is there still - has there been an association with him since ‘02 and ’05?’ We've heard a couple of different stories. I think it is relevant.

On whether she would appear on Saturday Night Live with Palin impressionist Tina Fey:

PALIN: I would love to. I would love to. I love her. She's a hoot and she's so talented and it would be fun to either imitate her or keep on giving her more material and keep her in business.

On why her husband Todd decided to change his mind and return to Alaska to testify in the official trooper investigation:

PALIN: He's always been an open book about this whole Tasergate issue, wanting to speak with investigators, wanting to speak and is with attorneys, everybody involved. The personnel board in the state of Alaska is that board tasked with dealing with any issue involving the governor, the lieutenant governor, or the attorney general.
What the investigation turned into, led by a Senate Democrat, has been kind of a goat rope, a very partisan and very controversial type of investigation. The personnel board Todd's corroborating with, as long as all the other employees too have an opportunity to cooperate with.

It's an open book. Nobody has anything to hide. Nobody's done anything wrong. My choice, and my responsibility to replace a cabinet member, an at-will exempt political appointment whom I did replace, because his strengths were in other areas. It wasn't in running an entire department. There was some, some duties there that he was not able to fulfill.

So my choice, my responsibility had nothing to do with my husband or any of my staff members asking a guy to step aside and take another job, and he didn't want to take that other job.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. William

I haven't voted for a Republican since Reagan, but I've always hoped that even if my Democratic candidate of choice lost, the elected Republican would be someone I could respect and ultimately trust to be my President. After all, once the election is over, we are all Americans. Unfortunately the Bush administration undermined that whole concept, and now, John McCain has been incredibly cynical in his choice of an obviously unqualified running mate, knowing that she could deliver right wing gun-totin', evangelical voters, when he most probably could not. Does he REALLY believe she would be up to the job if she had to step in and fulfill Presidential duties? If so, that tells me everything I need to know about his judgement. Please! "Maverick" is nothing more than a buzz word. What we really need in the White House is an intelligent, fair-minded, creative leader, who will tap into some true bi-partisanship to unite the country and get us back on track. It would help if they could pronounce the word "nuclear" too. That should be a priority if your finger was going to be on the button.

October 8, 2008 01:47 am at 1:47 am |
  2. Linda

Until I see Sarah Palin answer questions in front of a camera, I will always believe she was given the questions and answers. So who sent the questions for the media to ask her? Let her go on TV and be asked questions; i.e., Meet the Press, 60 Minutes, or The View. So, I don't want to hear another word about her taking questions.

October 8, 2008 01:47 am at 1:47 am |
  3. John

Thomas, you sound bitter. I don't blame you, given that you know your party is going to lose in a month. Do yourself a favor and try going out with some dignity, unlike your candidate, Grumpy the Snowman.

October 8, 2008 01:48 am at 1:48 am |
  4. LT

McShamus and the Ignoramus. What a pair!

October 8, 2008 01:49 am at 1:49 am |
  5. DarkOwl

you guys have it all wrong. he meant to pick Tina Fey as his running mate but due to advanced age, failing eyesight and mild dementia he mistook "that other one" for Tina Fey and signed her up.

October 8, 2008 01:49 am at 1:49 am |
  6. JoJo Smith From Cali

I'm a Huge Obama supporter but we need to be careful of Republicans. They might pull something out of the bag and ruined Obama Chances. I want OBama to win so badly because HE IS THE REALLY CHANGE that we deserve need. But lets not celebrate and wait until Election day than we could send this old fart and Playmate home.

"That One" is my guy.

October 8, 2008 01:51 am at 1:51 am |
  7. Anonymous

"Proud Alaskan" wrote:" . . .the $3,269 she wrestled away from international oil companies and gave to the people. . . "

Are you insane? Governor Palin has NOTHING TO DO with the Permanent Fund Dividend. The PFD was in place twenty years ago. Palin DID NOT "wrestle" the money away from oil companies to give to the people. You are either not from Alaska or you have no clue at all what the Permanent Fund is.

October 8, 2008 01:51 am at 1:51 am |
  8. Richard

If she really thought Obama was linked to terrorists, then why didn't McCain bring up this critical fact? Could it be that the independent voters are too smart to buy that nonsense?

Palin's no smarter than Bush. Neither have any idea how to pronounce the word "nuclear".

October 8, 2008 01:52 am at 1:52 am |
  9. Loren Chapman

If Obama is "pallin' around with terrorists", then Palin is "sleepin' with terrorists."

October 8, 2008 01:52 am at 1:52 am |
  10. Obama Mama

Even though there is no chance for Mcain& Palin this still should have been a proud moment for women, to have a woman represent such a powerfull position as VP. Sarah you totally failed the job!!! You should have showed that todays American woman is strong, independant, INTELLIGENT, ect. ect. Instead you represented the airhead, cheerleader type. You showed America you are totally clueless! You have no business being anywhere near Washington let alone being VP. You should go back to Alaska w/ your tail tucked between your legs, & live the rest of your life in shame!!!!!

October 8, 2008 01:53 am at 1:53 am |
  11. Vy. Studio City, CA

Sarah, could you please stay? Pleae stay and keep talking...pretty please, even after the straight Talk Express has driven off the bridge to no where....

you produce so much laugh material, wanting to laugh, wanting to be honest, wanting to show how great, but also laughing hard, but not limited to LOL, and wanting you to show more of your stuff, like speech skills, yes, but also, don"t refuse, stay with us

Comprende?

October 8, 2008 01:54 am at 1:54 am |
  12. JP

Both tickets for this election are jokes, neither ticket is ready.. Biden is the only one admitting when he's wrong everyone else keeps chasing their own tails.... i'd vote for a random person with no prior experience than give either one of these laughable tickets a vote in their favor.

October 8, 2008 01:54 am at 1:54 am |
  13. angel M.

lol former dem, take her back proud alasken pleeeze, we are not hate mongering, i suppose you havent been listening to her speaches lately

October 8, 2008 01:54 am at 1:54 am |
  14. Dubben

Palin reminds me of the movie Zoolander. Specifically, how Zoolander had only one look, but he showed it under several different names and nobody ever questioned, or even made note of it. That is, until Will Ferrel's character at the end says:

"The man has only one look, for Christ's sake! Blue Steel? Ferrari? Le Tigra? They're the same face! Doesn't anybody notice this? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!"

The fact that the PALIN is still a viable candidate for VICE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES(!!!) makes me feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

October 8, 2008 01:55 am at 1:55 am |
  15. Corey W

Shes a dummie (notice the word dummie)

October 8, 2008 01:56 am at 1:56 am |
  16. Thomas

Just a bunch of bitter spoiled little brats. Ya'll should be in bed buy now. Gnite freaks, don't wet the bed ok.

October 8, 2008 01:57 am at 1:57 am |
  17. bigbubba

This woman is an Idiot. Perhaps I should recant here. There are a couple of people I know that I think are Idiots and I don't want to insult them.
    So, if Sarah Palin applies herself and relly studies the issues facing the American people. If she works longer and hard than she ever did in the many colleges and junior colleges she attended. If she works harder than she has ever worked in her life and crams every bit of knowlege she can into that Miss Wasilla head of hers. Then maybe she could be an Idiot. If she is lucky and has a tailwind to help her across the finish line at dummy school.

October 8, 2008 01:57 am at 1:57 am |
  18. Laurie from California

BLUE, BABY, BLUE!!!!

Your time is over, Palin.

October 8, 2008 01:58 am at 1:58 am |
  19. Rugger

Gosh - when will everyone grow up ! I think its nice that Gov. Palin did a press interview .. I am so tired of all the hate speech from the Obots – its tiring.

Its so un-cool – You guys spread lies so easily .. is this supposed to make me vote for your guy ? Yes .. No .. ? whats your point. ?

Try some civility for a change of pace. I am a democrat and ashamed of the none sense you knuckle-heads are spewing.

October 8, 2008 01:58 am at 1:58 am |
  20. Scott H Denver, CO

The problem with Palin's lies is there's an – ahem- segment of the demographic that eats up and spreads this divisive terrorist nonsense across our country. It's horrible- I just got back wandering the posts on FOX blogs and the ugliness thats there... it makes my skin crawl... all of you can see through the lies but unfortunately not everyone is so discerning. Palin wont take responsibility for the lies but our country is truly worse off because of her evil political posturing.

October 8, 2008 01:58 am at 1:58 am |
  21. Mike Harley

Thank goodness after November this idiot sarah just blows away like a dried up leaf. If we're lucky, they'll find her after the breakup in May frozen in a block of ice.

Alaskans can do a lot better. Boy, it's going to be cold and lonely up there pretty soon.

October 8, 2008 01:58 am at 1:58 am |
  22. darren

honestly its really hard to read what she's saying and understand what she's saying. She's even dumber in print than in person....

October 8, 2008 02:01 am at 2:01 am |
  23. SuZanne Alsaif

I can only hope America demonstrates to the world that an aging war-happy senator's pick of an obviously illiterate, fear-mongering, socially inept govenor is not the best we have to offer to the world and the best we we are willing to settle for. Palin should stay in her back-woods, and SILENTLY throw back with Joe six-pack, and wait for the next polar bear hunt.

October 8, 2008 02:01 am at 2:01 am |
  24. Lisa Vilen

"Governor Palin ventured back behind the curtain that separates her from those who cover her every public move." She's finally peeking out, and here it is just one month before the elections. And, expert analysts wonder why this side is losing? Keep wondering. The rest of America already knows.

October 8, 2008 02:01 am at 2:01 am |
  25. Laurie from California

Oh and Sarah, there is really only one "Joe" that has ever been on this election's ticket. You're not it.

October 8, 2008 02:02 am at 2:02 am |