October 7th, 2008

Palin responds to questions from reporters

Palin visited reporters on the back of her campaign plane for the first time Tuesday.

(CNN) - Shortly before John McCain and Barack Obama took the stage for the second presidential debate, Governor Palin ventured back behind the curtain that separates her from those who cover her every public move, accompanied by senior aides (and a campaign photographer, who chronicled the historic summit between the Republican vice presidential nominee and the reporters who trail her.)

Palin shook hands and chatted with journalists in the press section of her campaign plane. After a few minutes of niceties, it turned into an unscheduled press conference.

A few highlights from the rare question-and-answer session, which included comments on William Ayers, her husband’s decision to testify in the Alaska trooper investigation – and what she thinks of Tina Fey's Palin impression on Saturday Night Live - after the jump.

On why Barack Obama’s links to William Ayers are relevant in the campaign:

PALIN: It is pertinent, it's important because when you consider Barack Obama's reaction to and explanation to his association there, and without him being clear at all on what he knew and when he knew it, that I think kinda peeks into his ability to tell us the truth on, not only on association but perhaps other things also. So, it's relevant, I believe, and I brought it up in response to the New York Times article having been printed recently, and I think it just makes us ask the question that, if there's not forthrightness there, with that association and what was known and when it was known, does that lead us to ask, is there forthrightness with the plans Barack Obama has or say tax cuts, or spending increases, makes us question judgment. And I think it's fair and relevant.

On whether Barack Obama is dishonest:

PALIN: I'm not saying that he is dishonest, but in terms of judgment and in terms of being able to answer a question forthrightly it has - it has two different parts to itL that judgment and that truthfulness and just being able to answer very candidly a simple question about ‘When did you know him, how did you know him? Is there still - has there been an association with him since ‘02 and ’05?’ We've heard a couple of different stories. I think it is relevant.

On whether she would appear on Saturday Night Live with Palin impressionist Tina Fey:

PALIN: I would love to. I would love to. I love her. She's a hoot and she's so talented and it would be fun to either imitate her or keep on giving her more material and keep her in business.

On why her husband Todd decided to change his mind and return to Alaska to testify in the official trooper investigation:

PALIN: He's always been an open book about this whole Tasergate issue, wanting to speak with investigators, wanting to speak and is with attorneys, everybody involved. The personnel board in the state of Alaska is that board tasked with dealing with any issue involving the governor, the lieutenant governor, or the attorney general.
What the investigation turned into, led by a Senate Democrat, has been kind of a goat rope, a very partisan and very controversial type of investigation. The personnel board Todd's corroborating with, as long as all the other employees too have an opportunity to cooperate with.

It's an open book. Nobody has anything to hide. Nobody's done anything wrong. My choice, and my responsibility to replace a cabinet member, an at-will exempt political appointment whom I did replace, because his strengths were in other areas. It wasn't in running an entire department. There was some, some duties there that he was not able to fulfill.

So my choice, my responsibility had nothing to do with my husband or any of my staff members asking a guy to step aside and take another job, and he didn't want to take that other job.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Proud Alaskan

I think you would be surprised at how educated Alaskans are. After all, we already threw out the good old boys and cleaned house up here or, should I say Palin has.
    How is your State? How is Washington? How many of you have kicked them to to curb? Now is your chance, but you won't take it. If you keep playing it safe with popularity polls – you are never going to win this battle.To want change is just not enough. You have to want what is right for you and your families.
    If you really believe Obama can make your lives better, then vote for him. I know my life is exceedingly better already, and Palin is only our Governor. I can't wait to see how good it will be when she is our Vice-President.

October 8, 2008 02:02 am at 2:02 am |
  2. bigbubba

The only group that seems to take this Bimbette serious are the ones shouting out "Terrorist" and "Kill him" at her little clan meetings. It does make me worry about the safety of Obama in the weeks before the election. The psychos she is rousing up do not need to be given any belief that they are correct.

October 8, 2008 02:04 am at 2:04 am |
  3. Chris

Honestly, I like McCain, but Palin scares me to death. If there is the slightest chance she learns from Dick Cheney or McCain dies, there's just too many issues. If McCain were smart he would have grabbed Hill Dawg.

October 8, 2008 02:05 am at 2:05 am |
  4. Alethea

This Conservative Republican says: Sarah, please do what they taught us in Speech 101. Record yourself and play it back. Honey, you don't make sense. You need to stick to prepared items. Speaking off the cuff is not your best method. You leave people saying "HUH?

October 8, 2008 02:06 am at 2:06 am |
  5. independent

McCain camp please end the hate rhetoric and restore christian values to this deplorable campaign. Respectfully disagree with your opponent as a respected public servant with a wife and children. Please do not endanger them or any fellow americans with racial epithets

October 8, 2008 02:13 am at 2:13 am |
  6. David

All you liberals are very afraid - you should be!

October 8, 2008 02:19 am at 2:19 am |
  7. Anonymous

Is she good now? Really?

October 8, 2008 02:25 am at 2:25 am |
  8. curt

If she want's to keep Tina Fey in business, she is doing a great job!

October 8, 2008 02:25 am at 2:25 am |
  9. robert ricke

I WONDER IF THE REPUBLICAN VICE-PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE WOULD BE WILLING TO WORK FOR LESS MONEY THAN A MALE VICE-PRESIDENT SINCE McCAIN IS AGAINST EQUAL PAY FOR WOMEN?

October 8, 2008 02:26 am at 2:26 am |
  10. dcb2

Palin responds to questions from reporters!!!
    Does anyone find it as funny as I do that this is a headline? That a national candidate speaking to the press was in and of itself a news item? God I can not wait for this woman to go away ...

October 8, 2008 02:28 am at 2:28 am |
  11. Palin2009

Go Palin – You Go Girl !!! Don't be scared of these media reporters – they know nothin!!!!!!

Jesus has pulled you into the election to serve all of us underprivileged and we all women are with you along with Jesus and Mary to take us out of this economic crisis....

Thank God – our nation has such great leaders and visionaries – I care less for this old man (he is extinct in 2 years hopefully) – WOMEN RULE!!!

October 8, 2008 02:28 am at 2:28 am |
  12. Which one? - That One

That One is definitely better than This One

October 8, 2008 02:32 am at 2:32 am |
  13. Karen in Santa Cruz

Sarah Palin said in reference to Tina Fey: "keep on giving her more material and keep her in business". NEWSFLASH: that's one promise Palin will be able to keep without any problems!

October 8, 2008 02:33 am at 2:33 am |
  14. Robert

This one is for that one..

But to just now step out and meet the press that travels with you and let them ask questions after how many weeks, tells me who is hiding what, without what really knowing who is that on that one.

October 8, 2008 02:36 am at 2:36 am |
  15. Obama Mama

There you go again Sara! everytime you open your mouth you leave the american public saying HUH!!!!

October 8, 2008 02:39 am at 2:39 am |
  16. Andy

Hey Sarah, I can see the end of your political career from my house.

October 8, 2008 02:40 am at 2:40 am |
  17. Texas Trail Dog!

Of course you MEDIA jumped on the band wagon saying OBAMA won the debate even though he didn't know what th hell he was doing or saying. We people will not be fooled by you the MEDIA and your favorite son George Steponopolis. Why do you bother to ask him his opinion. You know what he'll say before he opens his stupid mouth. He is a Democrat through and through. Of course he wouldn't have a biased opinion. The Clintons saw through him and fired his rear. So now he hates them. It's time to turn him off.

October 8, 2008 03:16 am at 3:16 am |
  18. gerard

look at good old Jonnie mac he went and got him a Monica Lewinski.she will be great under the desk and mutch ;well a little better looking.

October 8, 2008 03:19 am at 3:19 am |
  19. Something's Fishy...

It is hard to listen to her....it is absolutely painful to read her comments

October 8, 2008 03:23 am at 3:23 am |
  20. KEMO

SORRY SARAH ,IS BETTER YOU GO BACK TO ALASKA. WA DON'T NEED YOU , YOU CAN FIT IN WA, YOU GET AND OLD MEN AS A PRESIDENT

October 8, 2008 03:30 am at 3:30 am |
  21. A Bell

Sarah will do well on a comedy show after this election is over and "that one" is president.

October 8, 2008 03:31 am at 3:31 am |
  22. C in Chicago

There are two forms of being dumb. The first is when you know you're not the best and the brightest. The second is when you really have no clue as to how much of a simpleton you are. That is the most pitiful, and that is what Governor Palin is.

October 8, 2008 03:32 am at 3:32 am |
  23. gerard

ok in fairness to j mac he was on the commode at the time his campain staff was selecting a vp and john cried out "bring the pail in"

October 8, 2008 03:34 am at 3:34 am |
  24. Michael Robinson

Let me say this in the most simple way possible - so simple even Sarah Palin can understand it.

Palin you are an idiot and mean that with as much forthrightness as I can muster.

Wow. Every answer is pure jibberish.

October 8, 2008 03:39 am at 3:39 am |
  25. Ray

Sarah Palin makes me giggle.

October 8, 2008 03:39 am at 3:39 am |