October 8th, 2008

Cindy McCain goes on the attack

Cindy McCain is getting tough on Obama.
Cindy McCain is getting tough on Obama.

(CNN) – Cindy McCain, wife of Republican presidential candidate John McCain, appears to have sharpened her attacks against Barack Obama on the campaign trail in the final stretch of the race for the White House.

One day after she told a Tennessee newspaper Obama is running the "dirtiest campaign in American history," Mrs. McCain criticized the Illinois senator for voting against a bill to fund troops in Iraq, a regular line of attack from her husband’s campaign.

“The day that Senator Obama cast a vote not to fund my son when he was serving sent a cold chill through my body, let me tell you,” she told a Pennsylvania crowd before introducing her husband and Republican VP candidate Sarah Palin.

“I would suggest Senator Obama change shoes with me for just one day. I suggest he take a day and go watch our men and women deploying," she also said, to boisterous cheers from the campaign.

The vote Mrs. McCain is referencing came in May of 2007, when Obama was one of 14 senators who voted against a war-spending plan that would have provided emergency funds for American troops overseas. He, like many Democrats, was pushing for an end to the war in Iraq, and the legislation included no provisions for that. Before that vote, Obama did support and vote for a funding proposal that included a timeline for withdrawal from Iraq - a troop funding bill McCain opposed.

A CNN fact check deemed the charge that Obama voted against troop funding "misleading."

Read CNN's fact check on that vote

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Cindy McCain • Extra • John McCain
  1. Mccain is a liar

Wow...change shoes with someone who owns 7 mansions, 13 cars, and worth a 100 million, wow where do I sign up!

October 8, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  2. PA voter

My, oh, my. If Mrs. McCain is actually speaking (vs. standing around looking like a deer in the headlights) then things must be bad. I'm talking BAD bad.

October 8, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  3. Maggie VT

Geez, Cindy, John didn' t tell you he voted against a bill for troop funding??

October 8, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  4. dustin

Now you can add Cindy to the ever growing list of hypocrites in the McCain campaign

October 8, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  5. BBB

Why is it the only person that doesn't seem to be saying anything is THE person running for president? I really wanted to believe in the McCain ticket... I have never voted anything but Republican. But now the mere thought of McCain/Palin in the White House scares me to death!

October 8, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  6. susie

Obama is never clear on issues. He voted "present" over 100 times in the Illiois senate. He changes his mind constantly.

October 8, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  7. Tired of the Lies of McShame and Falin!

Why doesn't anyone McCain camp every talk about the fact McCain didn't vote for a bill funding the troops either. He voted against it becasue it had a time line for ending the war. Obama voted against the one that didn't. He says this time and again, and it's been proven. Just more of the same from McCain. It's over dude. Hang it up, NOW!!!!

October 8, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  8. Go Cindy!

Mrs. McCain, why couldn't Michelle Obama shake your hand last night; oh, I guess she wasn't "proud enough."

...she simply turned her back on you, the way Obama turns his towards the American Flag...

October 8, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  9. Kenzie from Texas

I dont think that anyone really cares what Cindy Mccain has to say. And honestly there are probably quite a few people who would love to change shoes with her, what's she got? Manolo Blahniks? Does she want to wear my 3 yr old Nike's?

October 8, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  10. Mr. Eko

Umm, was it equally chilling when John McCain also voted against funding the troops? Did that also send chills through your body?

October 8, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  11. wannabeobamagirl

Ok, Obama...it's your turn. May the truth prevail. Shame on the McCain family. With Cindy now on board, it's take yet another turn for the worse. I've never felt more confident in my decision to vote for Obama come November 4th.

October 8, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  12. Foreign observer

Instead of real answers they only go personal. What a shame. They believe American people are so stupid to repeat the mistakes of 2000 and 2004. Not this time.

October 8, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  13. Kim, Charlotte, NC

So, let me get this straight........

Cindy is a liar too?

October 8, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  14. Vincent, Great Lakes, Illinois

Cindy, I hope you would check out your husband's lousy voting record for Veterans. He got a D by the U.S. Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans group. Obama on the other hand, got a B.

If you want, you can check for yourself on line. I doubt that they would lie.

October 8, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  15. Kevin

"Change shoes?" It's unlilkely Obama could afford her $300 grand Manolo Blahniks. The McCain campaign just gets sadder, uglier and less relevant every day.

October 8, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  16. Chris from STL

Stop lying, Cindy. Check CNN's fact-check.

October 8, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  17. PA voter

So desperate... It's all about the timetable and everyone knows it. McCain voted against funding our troops when a timetable was included, and Obama voted against funding our troops when a timetable was not included. Obama did not want to write a blank check to George W. Bush.

McCain's campaign is preying/praying on the uninformed voters once again.

October 8, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  18. C'mon!

Honey, you're kidding right? You had no idea how Obama voted at the time, isn't that true? And did you get the same cold chill when your husband voted "no" to funding the troops, only with a deadline? Please. Please. Please. What sheer nonsense. We won't be fooled again.

October 8, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  19. bridgette

I would think they would be a little embarrased at the way they are conducting themselves. This is a man that is suppose to be able to be a world leader and while the world is watching he is making a fool out of himself. He and his campaign saying whatever pops in their mind. They have given up on reporting the facts and just are going for that fear vote. You know lets remind people that he is black.

October 8, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  20. RepubNoMore

Someone tell McCain's trophy wife to STFU and STOP with the desperate, pathetic smears and lies. It's HER creepy, lying, scumbag husband who is running the dirtiest campaign in HISTORY.

October 8, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  21. tom

when we started dating mccain, he was married at the time. and now she's the voice of moral authority?

October 8, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  22. Tj oh

I'd like to step into her shoes. I think I'd do better with $100 million net worth by buying equipment for my son rather than purchasing a $300,000 outfit to wear for one night of the republican convention.

October 8, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  23. Mike D. in San Diego

Well Ms. McCain, the day your husband voted to commit the murder of tens of thousands of innocent U.S. soldiers and Iraqi civilians sent a cold chill through my body.

October 8, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  24. Kenzie from Texas

Another thing – I now see McBush as the ultimate wimp. Why is he letting the girls do all the "tough talk" here? I'm a female and certainly believe that most of us can hold our own – but why is he having them do all the dirty work?

October 8, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |