October 8th, 2008

Cindy McCain goes on the attack

Cindy McCain is getting tough on Obama.
Cindy McCain is getting tough on Obama.

(CNN) – Cindy McCain, wife of Republican presidential candidate John McCain, appears to have sharpened her attacks against Barack Obama on the campaign trail in the final stretch of the race for the White House.

One day after she told a Tennessee newspaper Obama is running the "dirtiest campaign in American history," Mrs. McCain criticized the Illinois senator for voting against a bill to fund troops in Iraq, a regular line of attack from her husband’s campaign.

“The day that Senator Obama cast a vote not to fund my son when he was serving sent a cold chill through my body, let me tell you,” she told a Pennsylvania crowd before introducing her husband and Republican VP candidate Sarah Palin.

“I would suggest Senator Obama change shoes with me for just one day. I suggest he take a day and go watch our men and women deploying," she also said, to boisterous cheers from the campaign.

The vote Mrs. McCain is referencing came in May of 2007, when Obama was one of 14 senators who voted against a war-spending plan that would have provided emergency funds for American troops overseas. He, like many Democrats, was pushing for an end to the war in Iraq, and the legislation included no provisions for that. Before that vote, Obama did support and vote for a funding proposal that included a timeline for withdrawal from Iraq - a troop funding bill McCain opposed.

A CNN fact check deemed the charge that Obama voted against troop funding "misleading."

Read CNN's fact check on that vote

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Cindy McCain • Extra • John McCain
  1. ChicagoJosh

How did she feel when John McCain didn't vote to fund the troops in the earlier bill??????

2. Chris

So when McCain voted no on a similar bill that did include a timeline she felt all warm and fuzzy inside?

3. Michael Dunn

Sooo what went through your spine the day your husband abstained from voting on the same bill that included a time line for getting our troops out? Common McCains how dumb do you think American are? Look McCain opposed a version of the bill that included a time line for withdrawal, Obama opposed the bill that didn't include the time line. The matter of funding the troops was agreed! My God is there anything that can come out of the McCain campaign other than BS?

4. RepubNoMore

Real talk....people like them make me ashamed to say I'm a Christian. Republicans are the epitome of hypocrisy...all while hiding behind the Bible! McCain's only strategy is to smear, lie and attack. When is he going to talk about the issues affecting Americans? Oh, I forgot, he's not. He'd rather "turn the page" to a new subject (i.e. diversion).

Obama has my vote for sure!

5. foster

Change shoes.... which pair from which closet in which house?

6. starplus

can you imagine waking up to that every morning..... maybe thats why McBush spends so much time away from home

7. Give me some Truth

Ugh. How many times are they going to make this claim? Ridiculous.

8. John in Ohio

Verdict:
    Misleading. Obama supported a different version of the troop-funding plan — one that McCain spoke against.

9. Kurt

Did Cruella Deville vote for dog food for the 101 Dalmations?

10. KJ

Can you really blame Cindy McCain for lying so her husband can win the Presidency? After all, she does love him and would also love the power of being First Lady...

11. America

So in this campaign you have senile=McCain, the moose=Palin, and ofcourse if that's not enough you have Satan=Cindy. What more could America ask for then a senile, lying, satanic, moose? Isn't that what America is looking for? For Cindy McCain to suggest that Obama's campaign is dirty, while McCain lies with every breath he takes, is absolutely ridiculous. Seriously Cindy, I think you need to hit up that charity you were stealing the meds from again and get back on the pill. Cindy, you need to self medicate and take Johhny boy with you too, I think he needs his diaper changed.

12. Todd

Cindy McCain is what a 70 year old, worn out Barbie looks like.

13. Noel

I really do not think having Ms.McCain stump for John will change the mind of undecided voters...this is a stretch,it really is.

14. Anonymous

Cindy McCain ... adulterer ... snob ... save us from your moral discourse.

15. AJ from Houston, Texas

Can we ask Mrs. McCain if a chill went up her spine when John McCain voted against funding her son???

16. Sean

Is she kidding?

When you go to Obama rallies, do people in the crowd get worked into such an angry state that they shout out "terrorist" or "treason" or "kill him" at the mere mention of McCain?

The McCains, the Palins, and their campaign staff should be ashamed of the mob mentality they're actively coaxing out of their base of support.

17. TCE

Was that cold chill she felt from the her response to Obama or was it withdrawal symtoms from her narcotic abuse?

18. so much rhetoric

what about the day her own husband voted not to fund her son?

these people have sold their souls

19. Anna, VA

Nice try Cindy. John voted against a bill with a timeline, Barack voted against won without a timeline. They both support the tropps, and you are the latest disgrace to your country.

In fact, Cindy, I would go as far to say what you are doing is evil. I am starting to hate Cindy, John, Palin, etc. They are fearmongering and showing their lack of morals. Disgusting, this QUOTE sent 'shivers down my back'

20. Beah

CINDY your ego is way too much for me! I watched you last night and you didn't even migle with the audience. Your hands behind your back to me that's very snobbish! I know your rich but if you want to be the next first lady you need to tone down your act.

21. Aleisha- Miami

I understand Cindy, but Biden has a son and Palin has a son and McCain had voted against funding for body armor for your son too so stop it. Why you have to speak is beyond me. Oh and the dirtiest campaign? Hello? What about when ur husband's cronies, who were Bush's cronies back in 2000, had the audacity to say that you had an affair with a black guy and thats why you have an interracial baby. Oh but no! I think that is the dirtiest.

22. VOTE CHANGE.. GO OBAMA 08

So much for the "Straight Talk Express"..... GO OBAMA 2008!!!!!

23. Praetorian, Fort Myers

No change shoes with a mother who has a son or daughter engaged in a war. Then deny funding for necessary supplies, equipment necessary to sustain them in that war–because of petty political posturing that NO member of the Democratic majority had the fortitude to pursue.

The thought–your mail, adequate ammunition, food, supplies will be available to you when you're fighting a war your own country sent you to fight–because of Senate bickering–is a moral buster.

Of course–you would have to have some knowledge of life in harms way to understand that–and of course Barack Hussein Obama is unprepared and ill-equipped to understand the thoughts, feelings, and emotions of the American warrior.

24. Tammy - KCMO

Funny – I'm looking at McCain's record on voting for the military. Since 2002 I see 4 times he voted yes, 10 times he voted no, and 12 times HE DIDN'T BOTHER TO VOTE AT ALL!

Got any more lies you want to try to sell us? Cuz we ain't buyin it!!!

25. McCrazy

Are we Americans watching the same campaign that Cindy, Sarah and John are?

The LAST person i want to hear tell me to switch places with her is Cindy McCain, who didn't work a day in her life.

By the way dear, Johnny voted against funding bills as well because the Democrats actually want to being your kid home from Iraq. What nerve!!!!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9