October 8th, 2008

Cindy McCain goes on the attack

Cindy McCain is getting tough on Obama.
Cindy McCain is getting tough on Obama.

(CNN) – Cindy McCain, wife of Republican presidential candidate John McCain, appears to have sharpened her attacks against Barack Obama on the campaign trail in the final stretch of the race for the White House.

One day after she told a Tennessee newspaper Obama is running the "dirtiest campaign in American history," Mrs. McCain criticized the Illinois senator for voting against a bill to fund troops in Iraq, a regular line of attack from her husband’s campaign.

“The day that Senator Obama cast a vote not to fund my son when he was serving sent a cold chill through my body, let me tell you,” she told a Pennsylvania crowd before introducing her husband and Republican VP candidate Sarah Palin.

“I would suggest Senator Obama change shoes with me for just one day. I suggest he take a day and go watch our men and women deploying," she also said, to boisterous cheers from the campaign.

The vote Mrs. McCain is referencing came in May of 2007, when Obama was one of 14 senators who voted against a war-spending plan that would have provided emergency funds for American troops overseas. He, like many Democrats, was pushing for an end to the war in Iraq, and the legislation included no provisions for that. Before that vote, Obama did support and vote for a funding proposal that included a timeline for withdrawal from Iraq - a troop funding bill McCain opposed.

A CNN fact check deemed the charge that Obama voted against troop funding "misleading."

Read CNN's fact check on that vote

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Cindy McCain • Extra • John McCain
  1. Keith

Calm down Cindy. Maybe you could steal some prescription Prozac from an orphan and chug down a Bud in one of your 8-10 homes.

2. Dave

This Election just looks like a war between good and evil.

3. RIF

What's up with McCain calling us all "prisoners" at his rally today. This guys is losing it big time.

McCain just today:
    "You and I together will confront the $10 trillion debt the federal government has run up and balance the federal budget by the end of my term in office. Across this country, this is the agenda I have set before my fellow prisoners and the same standards of clarity and candor must now be applied to my opponent."

October 8, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  4. Rupblican voting for "THAT ONE"!

THIS ONE is voting for "THAT ONE!"

Shame on you, Team McPalin. Cindy, look in the mirror.

5. horace

Cindy McCain just stop talking, you or your husband do not under stand us real workers .

6. Joe PA

I think Cindy needs a couple of pain killers.

7. gerald cole

Unspoken is the fear of racism re: Obama. Also unspoken is the fear of McCain's melanoma, which is an often recurrent malignancy and leaves us with the fear of Palin as president.

8. Steve, PA

I guess Cindy Lou forgot to mention that her husband voted against the veterans 14 out of 15 times. I guess she completely forgot about that part.

And as for changing shoes with her. Why would anybody want to change shoes with a skanky vamp who slept around with a married man?

Obama/Biden 08

9. Ken

I'd rather not change shoes with you Mrs. McCain; I pride myself on not having had a drug problem, wrecked a home, or speaking in a misleading manner about my spouse's voting record. Thanks, but no thanks.

10. barbara

When are we going to hear from the "the First Dude" Maybe he could explain why his wife allowed rape victims to be charged for rape kits. Maybe he should walk for a day in my shoes!!

11. Anna, VA

Nice try Cindy. John voted against a bill with a timeline, Barack voted against one without a timeline. They both support the troops, and you are the latest disgrace to your country.

In fact, Cindy, I would go as far to say what you are doing is evil. I am starting to hate Cindy, John, Palin, etc. They are fear mongering and showing their lack of morals. Disgusting, this QUOTE sent 'shivers down my back'

October 8, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  12. Obama ......all fluff No stuff....

Anybody else concerned that Barrack Hussain Obama thinks the Star Spankled Banner brings up feelings of oppresion!!??

I don't want a "touchy feely" President!!! I want a LEADER........a person who will STAND UP FOR AMERICA........not someone who is worried about hurting someones feelings.

THATs what is WRONG with America......we don't want to hurt anybody's feelings anymore........get over it world......we are a super power for reason!!!!!!!!! And I'm not talking just military!!!!

GO USA and GO John McCain.......restore pride back in the USA!!

13. voter

Go Cindy!

Why didn't McCain shake Obama's hand last night after the debate? Why did McCain call Obama that one? Why didn't McCain wear a flag pin? I guess you are proud of the race baiting campaign of the McCain camp.

14. karl

How and Why is Cindy McCain getting involved? This is between John McCain and Barak Obama. It's ridiculous for a 1st lady to inject herself into a race that has absolutely nothing to do with her. Why is she on stage behind John at every event? She distracts the message with her cheerleader head-nodding and smirky/snobby laugh when John McCain throws mud. It makes both of them look bad. It's sad to see John McCain go down to the wire in this election employing the same tactics that were used against him dispicabley by GWBush. There is no honor in this.

15. Texas for Obama

It's just funny to me...

If you vote not to fund the troops, you're wrong!
    If you vote to keep the troops in harm's way FOREVER, you're right!

America...We need change!

16. ANDY DAAS

I this woman for real?

I guess somebody should ask her if she know Karl Rove.

17. Mike In Albany NY

NEWSFLASH:

McCain campaign announces that "The Truth is Biased Against John McCain" McCain campaign director annonces that "everyone should lie so that they can show their patriotism for america"

18. Arin

Change shoes with Cindy.... mmm, Barack perhaps you should do it, because you know those shoes likely cost a couple of thousand bucks. See what its like to walk in her diamond laced shoes!!!

19. Claire

Cindy McCain should be ashamed of herself.

20. REDNECKS LOVE OBAMA

I'm voting for the guy who owns ONE house and ONE car. The McCain's are ERRATIC, ANGRY, and OUT OF TOUCH WITH MIDDLE AMERICA..... we are not STUPID.

21. Ron

I was listening to McCain's speech in Bethelem PA today and ar about 2:40 PM he refered to us Americans as his "fellow prisoners" Im not sure what his intention was but I am a VET and an AAmerican who lives within his means and am not anyone's prisoner. I used to believe in McCain and his honesty, but now I see only another politican who wants and will do or say anything to get elected. When will the people of our counrty take back our government from these theves and scoundrels? Now Cindy is spewing her husbands lies. How low do we have to go.

22. Tim

How is this woman even relevant? Is she running for president? She said earlier "....if we're elected.." what is this we?

Did anyone notice how she didn't even glance at Michelle Obama last night? Walked right by her....

23. WeLuvObama

McCain's campaign is a joke. Cindy, John, Sara – Nitwits!!!

24. Grant

Same old attacks, promised a perfect world by end of 1st term and, oh by the way....he referred to us as his "fellow prisoners" during the speak. Creepy!!!

October 8, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  25. Bill, Tampa

YOUR HUSBAND VOTED FOR YOUR SON TO GO INTO IRAQ(the wrong
    place) IN THE FIRST PLACE. Not Senator Obama, who voted against the war in Iraq.

Blame it on George and John.

First Palin, and now this?

October 8, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |