October 8th, 2008

Cindy McCain goes on the attack

Cindy McCain is getting tough on Obama.
Cindy McCain is getting tough on Obama.

(CNN) – Cindy McCain, wife of Republican presidential candidate John McCain, appears to have sharpened her attacks against Barack Obama on the campaign trail in the final stretch of the race for the White House.

One day after she told a Tennessee newspaper Obama is running the "dirtiest campaign in American history," Mrs. McCain criticized the Illinois senator for voting against a bill to fund troops in Iraq, a regular line of attack from her husband’s campaign.

“The day that Senator Obama cast a vote not to fund my son when he was serving sent a cold chill through my body, let me tell you,” she told a Pennsylvania crowd before introducing her husband and Republican VP candidate Sarah Palin.

“I would suggest Senator Obama change shoes with me for just one day. I suggest he take a day and go watch our men and women deploying," she also said, to boisterous cheers from the campaign.

The vote Mrs. McCain is referencing came in May of 2007, when Obama was one of 14 senators who voted against a war-spending plan that would have provided emergency funds for American troops overseas. He, like many Democrats, was pushing for an end to the war in Iraq, and the legislation included no provisions for that. Before that vote, Obama did support and vote for a funding proposal that included a timeline for withdrawal from Iraq - a troop funding bill McCain opposed.

A CNN fact check deemed the charge that Obama voted against troop funding "misleading."

Read CNN's fact check on that vote

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Cindy McCain • Extra • John McCain
  1. McHoover Would Destroy What's Left of America

Shocking, Cindy McCain said something MISLEADING per CNN

I would call it a LIE since you know she wasn't really following legislation on a day to day basis.

How stupid do these people think the American public is?

October 8, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  2. Edward

Did anyone tell Cindy that HER HUSBAND VOTED AGAINST FUNDING THE TROOPS when the bill had a timetable? Did that send any chills through her body – that he husband wanted to put her son in greater danger? Or not so much?

27 days until America tells McCain/Palin thanks but no thanks.

October 8, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  3. lensmith

Honestly what a liar Cindy McCain has turned out to be. And, what a low campaign John McCain is running. Just putting Sarahhhhhhhhhh on the ticket scares me greatly.

As for Cindy's son in Iraq, he shouldn't be there as Joe Biden and Sarah Palin's sons should not be there. It is too much of a risk to have these people in Iraq. Read the oped by John Eisenhower about being in Korea at the time his father was President and how he should never have been there.

October 8, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  4. Mike in Sacramento,Ca

Is it funny how Cindy is getting into the act? Whats the matter can't Jonny boy or Ms.Mouth speak for themselves? More lies from the Family of liers.Did'nt see this one coming.

October 8, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  5. Rick S

This is utter baloney, coming from someone who said spouses should stay out of it. When Michelle addressed her crowd yesterday (because she does not need a chaperone) she never mentioned Sen. McCain only spoke of her husband. If this had been Michelle all hell would have broken lose- why don't you go steal some vicodin-pill popper- or better yet find another husband( since you like stealing them)

October 8, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  6. DebraW-NY

I suggest that Cindy McCain change shoes with me for just one day, and watch how she handles trying desperately to hold onto a job that could be gone without warning on any given day, watch a 401K plan that you stringently saved be decimated in the course of months, worry about what happens when the money for your bills disappears and what happens to your aging parents who had saved well for their retirement, only to be stricken with cancer and then have GM fold up their healthcare plan because overly compensated executives made bad business decisions......Executives that all vote Republican, I"m sure.

So go cry on somebody else's shoulder Cindy, I've no sympathy. You wanna save your son?...Tell your hawk husband to end the war he couldn't wait to start.

7. Dan

The McCain campaign will go down both on election day and in history as America's referendum on the end to old school politics and the cultural wedging of America. We will move this country forward with real change, real leadership. Obama/Biden!

8. Republican Supporters in the Dark

I have been so repulsed by John McCain's campaign for the past 3 weeks or so. What makes it really hard for me is that I wholeheartedly supported the Republican party for their conservative 'ideals' during the past two election runs. Now I feel so dirty, like I would just want to shower everytime I think about my past support for them. It's like waking up out of a nightmare and seeing the light. They are a bunch of hypocrites, they are sleazy and would basically do anything to get elected. John McCain is doing to Barack Obama what was done to him by Republican operatives like Karl Rove, in 2000. You Sir, have you no shame left. You have lost your integrity as a so-called straight talker. Your actions have been dishonourable and for that you are going to lose this election and fade into oblivion. The political wilderness awaits you Senator. I even felt sorry for you at one point, because I know that becoming President is a long-held ambition. Now all I feel is disgust. And by the way Mrs. Cindy McCain your character does not hold up, so please thread lightly. The Hindus call it Karma, I say you will reap, bitterly, what you sow because the American public are going to reject you come Nov. 4, and overwhelmingly.

9. Wendy in NC

Ummm, Cindy...the day your husband voted AGAINST the GI-Veteran's bill it made our blood run cold. How can you say you are for your military and then vote against them, saying in a town hall meeting that the bill was "too generous".

10. Coherent1

Cindy, is this your call for Michelle speak against John, so his campaign could have a reason to go after her???? Cindy, you think Obama is running the "dirtiest" campaign in American history? Or, is it that you don't know much history? Cindy, I take it you believe that John is running an honorable campaign???? Cindy, why are you speaking? Cindy, did John threaten to hurt you if you didn't utter those comments. If not, you've got to be stupidest, yes I said stupidest, potential first lady in American History. How about that for our children's history books.

11. Josh

How is the Stepford wife going to understand most Americans?

12. AL voter

It is amazing to me that Cindy McCain has the audacity to state that Obama is running the dirtiest campaign ever, when her husband's advertising has been the disgraceful. He also, called Obama "that one" last night. As a African American women that can be taken alot of ways and it is defininitely not positive. If was if he was addressing an animal.

13. Albert Rolls

Cindy McCain is a joke. She is so high and mighty why dosen't she release her income taxes. That junk about separate taxes is a joke. They live in a joint property state which means that what is his is hers and vice versa. Maybe she dosen't want us to know about all those foreign investments she has in shady countries.

14. Jan

Great,

being active on the campaign trail, does that mean that Cindy is now fair game? Well then, let's talk about her drug abuse, her illegal activities and the money she makes from the war in Iraq.

15. Nan

It seems the only way Republicans know how to campaign is by destructive rhetoric . They offer nothing positive – no solutions, no respect for either their Democratic opponent – or the voters. Nothing but mean-spirited clap-trap! I'm fed up with the Neo-Con "Trust Me – I know how to (whatever)".

And as for Sarah Palin – can't you just see her winking at and saying "Ya shur got a pretty place, I betcha" to the Queen of England?! God, please help us, if McBush and The Bubblehead get elected???

16. Lynn in CT

Just when you think they cannot top themselves, they go and do it.

Sad, but impressive. I had no idea the McCains, who are so high and mighty, could stoop so very, very low.

Perhaps we should invite them to a limbo contest! Oh, wait, John can hardly get up from a seated position. I take that back.

17. Lucy

Americans honor those who have served their country. The are courageous soliders who have faught valiantly. Americans now have to make sure that our soliders are taken care of after the war, that they a healthcare system that can heal their wounds and that they have jobs to come home to that will support their families.

John McCain and Cindy "Barbie Doll" McCain can sit in their 14 Barbie Dreamhomes and fly around in their Barbie Jet, but they "really don't get it". It isn't about them. I still am hearing "me" and "I" in their sentences. American has to move forward as "we". We have to do what ever it takes to pull us out of this crisis and join the world's leaders to maintain peace around the globe.

18. Raoul

This woman is about as credible as McCain's other woman. What a threesome that is.

19. sh

CIndy

Your son volunteered and is getting paid for it no one asked him to join the forces so don't patronize. Do not keep telling us about your history of navy because he is doing his dad a favor so he can get elected.

20. Mickie in PA

I think "Beer Barbie" should go back to one of her 7 mansions and study up on the facts since this statement has been tried over and over by John and has been proven false and John voted agains the very same bill. Of course, I'm sure Beer Barbie's son didn't have to go without anything while he was deployed. Some parents didn't have the option of being rich and before there was even a vote on additional funding, the republicans were making the troops buy their own protective vests (if their parents could afford it), and gerry rig armor to put on tanks that were not sufficient. All this while paying the Blackwater crew 100 times what they paid our troops. Nice try Barbie, or errr, Cindie (hard to tell the difference)!

21. Gloria

I would rather have the war end so my son could come home, than have it extended for 100 years.

22. LeeAnn

Honey I don't have the money for the latest in Prada. I have a mortgage to pay!

23. pa.joe

Speaking of cold chills.......
    Na I ain't going there.
    Just take your husband and his Lip stick side kick out of PA.

24. Shawn

Ever notice how the crowd at these Republican rallies chants 'USA USA' at jingoistic melodramatic statements, and boos and hisses when mud is slung? So juvenile and immature.

These are the same idiots who think the world is black and white, "good guys" vs "bad guys". No wonder thats exactly what Palin says.

25. Abby

McCain is an angry man full of hate that is stopping at nothing to get his way. John McCain is officially dangerous.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9