October 8th, 2008

CNN Polls of Polls: Obama ahead in NV, OH, PA, FL and nationally

Sen. Obama is ahead in four states and nationally in Wednesday's CNN polls of polls.

(CNN) – CNN’s latest polls of polls show Barack Obama leading John McCain in Nevada, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Florida - but slipping slightly nationally and in Florida, losing one point in each.

In CNN’s first Nevada poll of polls, Obama leads McCain by 3 percentage points. The Illinois senator has the support of 49 percent of likely voters in Nevada, while 46 percent support the Arizona senator. Five percent of likely voters in Nevada are unsure about their choice for president.

In CNN’s latest Ohio poll of polls, Obama has increased his advantage over McCain. In Ohio, Obama is now ahead of McCain by five percentage points with support from 50 percent of likely voters in the state compared to support from 45 percent for McCain. Five percent of likely voters in the state are unsure about who they prefer. In CNN’s September 21 Ohio poll of polls, Obama was ahead of McCain by a single point – 47 percent versus 46 percent.

In Pennsylvania, Obama has also increased his advantage. CNN’s October 3 Pennsylvania poll of polls showed Obama ahead by 10 percentage points – 51 percent versus 41 percent. In the new Pennsylvania poll of polls released Tuesday, Obama is ahead by 12 points. The Democratic nominee has the support of 52 percent of likely voters in Pennsylvania, while the Republican nominee has the support of 40 percent of likely voters. In Pennsylvania. Eight percent of likely voters are unsure about their choice for president.

Nationally, Obama leads McCain by four points in CNN’s latest national poll of polls. Forty-eight percent of voters support Obama while 44 percent support McCain; 8 percent of voters aren’t sure about who they support. In CNN’s October 7 national poll of polls, Obama was ahead by 5 percentage points – 49 percent for Obama and 44 percent for McCain.

Obama has also lost a point in CNN's latest Florida poll of polls. Forty-nine percent of likely voters in Florida support Obama, 45 percent support McCain, and 6 percent are unsure about who they support for president. In CNN's October 2 Florida poll of polls Obama was ahead of McCain by five points - 49 percent to Obama's 44 percent.

CNN’s national poll of polls is composed of the following five surveys: American Research Group (September 4-6), Reuters/C-SPAN/Zogby (September 4-6), NBC/Wall Street Journal (October 4-5), Gallup (October 5-7), and Diageo/Hotline (October 5-7).

CNN’s Nevada poll of polls is composed of three surveys: Research 2000 (October 3-6), CNN/Time/ORC (September 28-30) and ARG (September 27-29); CNN’s Ohio poll of polls is composed of three surveys: CNN/Time/ORC (October 3-6), ABC/Washington Post (October 3-5) and Quinnipiac (September 27-29); CNN’s Pennsylvania poll of polls is composed of three surveys: Morning Call/Muhlenberg College (October 3-7), WHYY/West Chester University (October 3-6) and Quinnipiac (September 27-29); and CNN's Florida poll of polls is composed of four surveys: Mason-Dixon (October 4-6), CNN/Time/ORC (September 28-30), Suffolk (September 27-30) and Quinnipiac (September 27-29).

CNN’s polls of polls do not have sampling errors.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • CNN Poll of polls • Florida • John McCain • Nevada • Ohio • Pennsylvania
  1. GG for Obama

Americans, I am proud of you!

Obama 08

October 8, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  2. republicans hate america

"This one' will vote for 'that one"

October 8, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  3. nina - Phoenix, AZ

the reason why obama is slipping nationally polls of polls or some states is that the ppl care about race not the issues because if its wasn't obama w'll lead now big margin

October 8, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  4. Kathy

I'm so proud of my choice for president, Barack Obama!

October 8, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  5. ROSEMOND NORMILUS

OBAMA IS THE BEST CANDIDATE FOR AMERICA ON THE 21TH CENTURY NO DOUT ABOUT IT ,MC CAIN SHOULD CALL OFF AND CONCEED.

October 8, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  6. Kelby from Houston, Texas

Before I comment on this article, I must say YOUR POLLS MEAN NOTHING!!! And the only poll that matters is the one that we all participate in on NOVEMBER THE FOURTH
    REMEMBER REMEMBER THE FOURTH OF NOVEMBER!!!

But,
    ***SINGING***...This is the end my friend....my only friend, the end.

I really do enjoy hearing good news about my candidate. But I cannot allow myself nor can I allow any of my fellow OBAMABOTS become complacent. We need to STAY FOCUSED. Continue to campaign for Obama. The opposition has people who are paid to do what a lot of us are doing for free. And when I read these posts. I know that they are still hard at work despite this discouraging news. Oh and don't forget the Senate America.

VOTE FOR DEMOCRATS
    VOTE FOR OBAMA

October 8, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  7. Laszlo in L.A.

Help wanted: Republican Party seeks qualified candidate for President of the U.S. Executive experience helpful but will train the right person. Handy with economics. No criminal record. Evangelical a plus. Good interview skills a major plus. Please send resumes (with references) by February 29, 2011. No mavericks or Alaskans, please.

October 8, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  8. Chris NS

I'm a german and also i can't vote in the usa, but i'm following this ellection very closely. The turne it has done at the McCain Campain it's very scarry.

It's not any more "Drill Baby Drill" its now more "Kill Baby Kill".

I hope the numbers vor Obama will go up eaven more than they did till now. The american and the world needs a president like Obama.

October 8, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  9. Ted:Canada

YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES!!

CNN) - Frustrated parents are dumping their teenagers at Nebraska hospitals - even crossing state lines to do it - and the state Legislature has scheduled a special hearing to try to stem the tide… The parents may not always be to blame, the Child Welfare League's Spears said.

Your country is going h@ll in a basket!

Obama – take care of these people!

McCain – get out of town with the “beer queen” and the “six pack” you are “joke” to the free world!!!

October 8, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  10. Tom

And one may ask, "Why?" I believe it is because we the people would rather back a candidate who understands what's wrong, what it will take to fix it, and tells us what it will cost to fix it – like my car mechanic does when my car is not working right. Obama keeps giving us specific answers that are clearly articulated and coherent . McCain continues to attack Obama's plans, probably because he didn't think of them first, and when McCain attempts to give a rare answer, it seems muddled and disjointed. It's as if he hasn't really thought about what to do himself, but is trying to rattle off someone else's ideas that he doesn't fully comprehend himself. That scares me. That makes him appear easily manipulated and not strong enough to lead us out of this mess. Maybe at one time McCain was strong and truly a maverick, but I fear those days are gone. He seems as if he may actually dealing with some serious aging issues and in four years it could be a major problem for the US.

October 8, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  11. JohnWinNC

If John McCain thinks that the latest scare tactics of his campaign will be effective, he has another thing coming! Americans like me are SICK and TIRED of politics of the past. At one time I actually considered voting for McCain because, as an Independent, I was opposed to negative tactics being used in the Democratic primaries. Now, McCain/Palin have shown that they (and the GOP) are even worse! I am no longer impressed with McCain's past service; what I care about is what kind of person is wanting to lead our nation. Well, that has certainly been made clear! McCain has demonstrated that he does NOT have the morality, the temperament nor the judgment required to be the leaader of the free world. He might do better as head of the Taliban!

October 8, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  12. Cooper

Anger will not solve our economic problems. Mccain is so angry that you can see it when he speaks. Slow down old man. This thing aint your personal property. It belongs to the brightest and the smartest (THAT ONE). You got it? Peace!!!!!!!

October 8, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  13. MCD SF

I just couldn't believe how many times McCain said "My Friends"... I felt like I watching a new production of "Music Man". "My friends, we've got trouble in River City..." Didn't come across as folksy at all... more like a snake-oil salesman. Palin was a bad choice but McCain just has too much going against him including himself.

October 8, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  14. chicagotrauma

Funny, ACORN is being investigated for voter fraud in ALL of these states. Wonder why there is NOTHING on CNN about this? If the FBI had raided the nevada ACORN office, I would probably consider that news.

You are being spoonfed people.....

October 8, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  15. justobserve

It's a disgrace for all the Soccer Moms and Joe Sixpack if Palin is representative of them.

October 8, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  16. SM

Go Obama! Keep fighting for us! The American people need you more than ever! It's really too bad McCain has chosen to walk down the road of disaster. He just doesn't get it. He has hit an all time low. My father was in the military my whole life. I was an army brat raised to be Republican. I shake my head at the Republicans now in disgrace and shame...Wheres their dignity? Wheres our war hero? What happen to you John McCain? My father would never have stooped to your level.

October 8, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  17. brandon

Lets just hope nothing fishy happens down here in FL like the last 2 times!!! but then again Geb was governor (Georges younger brother if you did not know) back then.

October 8, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  18. John in Iowa

We're on the way! McNasty and Caribou Barbie's sleezy attacks won't stop them from this landslide!

Obama/Biden 08!!!

October 8, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  19. 58 old white ladies for OBAMA

WAY TO GO SON.

WE ARE SO PROUD OF THE WAY

YOU ARE CONDUCTING YOUR CAMPAIGN.

October 8, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  20. Susan from Scotts Valley, CA

Nevada, Ohio and Florida are all three "red" states. And they're going blue. Along with Virginia, Colorado, New Mexico, and potentially North Carolina.

October 8, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  21. jimmy

we do not read nor believe the New York Times political articles.
    too biased and innaccurate.

October 8, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  22. j

That's good. I hope the lead keeps growing. I just got my mail-in ballot here in California and this is the first time I'm voting FOR a candidate rather than the lesser of bad choices. Go Obama!

October 8, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  23. canta

he does not have my families vote in Florida, nor my families vote in Pa, nor Colorado or NC.

Race is not over till all the votes are in.

McCain/Palin 08

October 8, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  24. Griff

Joe Six-Pack is the Guy who can't always afford a 12 Pack,,
    What;s so hard to Figure....

October 8, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  25. A NATION OF WINERS for OBAMA

OBAMA IS GOING TO MAKE THE BEST

PRESIDENT WE HAVE HAD FOR MANY A DECADE.

October 8, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |