October 8th, 2008

Michelle Obama not offended by 'that one' comment

Michelle Obama
Michelle Obama

(CNN) - The wife of Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama told CNN's Larry King Wednesday that she is not offended by a much-publicized comment made towards her husband in Tuesday night's debate.

In the presidential match-up at Belmont University in Nashville, Tennessee, Sen. John McCain criticized Obama for supporting the 2007 Bush-Cheney energy bill.

"It was an energy bill on the floor of the Senate, loaded down with goodies, billions for oil companies, and it was sponsored by Bush and Cheney. ... You know who voted for it? You might never know. That one,” he said, gesturing towards Obama. “You know who voted against it? Me."

When asked if McCain’s reference to Obama as "that one" was offensive, Michelle Obama simply said "no," adding that this issue has nothing to do with what's affecting average Americans hurting from the economic downturn.

"I think there are two conversations that have been going on throughout this whole election. There's the conversation that's been happening with the pundits ... and then there's the conversation that's been happening on the ground," she said.

She said that Americans "right now are scared" and "nervous about the economy."

"They don't care about the back and forth between the candidates ... They want real answers about how we're going to fix this economy and get the health care benefits on track so, you know, this is part of politics," she added.

Full Story

1. Michael

Cindy said today, “I would suggest Senator Obama change shoes with me for just one day.” Great idea! Actually he should go for the whole outfit, because here’s what he would get:

Oscar de la Renta dress: $3,000
    Chanel J12 White Ceramic Watch: $4,500
    Three-carat diamond earrings: $280,000
    Four-strand pearl necklace: $11,000–$25,000
    Shoes, designer unknown: $600
    Total: Between $299,100 and $313,100

Hey, I would cross-dress for a day if I got all that!

October 8, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  2. Ken in NC

Consider how many elitist there are in this country. We only own one car, one house and are not worth millions so we are elitist. People that own at least 13 cars and 7 homes and are worth hundreds of millions of dollars are normal people. The only exception comes when you are a "Joe Six-Pack" with a vile squeaky voice.

October 8, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  3. April

She's definitely taking the high road. If she said she was offended the McCain camp would have said she was playing the race card. It's strange, but that seems to be the pattern that his campaign has adopted.

October 8, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  4. susan

I also will be voting for "that one". I can't wait to send McCain/Palin on a bridge to nowhere but home.They represent an old America.We are ready to move forward not backwards. This country has been idle for the past 8 years, it's time to play catch up..Nice way to show grace Michelle...Cindy an John can learn alot from you an Barack.in the debate John had me frightened with all his heavy-breathing,pointing,tone of voice,pacing the floor..he gives me a bad feeling...Vote Obama 08

October 8, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  5. FJ from Atlanta

Love you girl!

October 8, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  6. Kelly Smith

I love you Michelle. I can't wait to see you and your daughters and your lovely family in the White House. Lots of love from Brooklyn NY.

October 8, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  7. Robert Wooller Bradford England

John McCain and Sarah Palin have no shame. They call Obama names like 'that one' and attack Biden when he is in hospital with his mother-in-law at death's door. What next?!

Obama-Biden 2008!!!

October 8, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  8. MarioB. from Berlin for OBAMA/BIDEN

Michelle, Barack and their two kids will soon be America's new first family. I pray for them.
    Barack is smart, and Michelle is, too.
    No wonder, god was putting the two of them together.
    They will give the USA a new face, a better face and will repair all those broken relationships to (former) allies.
    They are send from heaven and they are the best, that could happen to America.

Who votes McPa(l)in is whether ignorant, racist or has an IQ, lower the the room's temperature.
    Well sure Failin said, there's no difference between a pitbull and her, but the lipstick...well I think the IQ should be almost the same...

Obama/Biden in a landslide

October 8, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  9. Tommy Hussein in St. Louis

By the way, That One's no wimp, so when McCain and Palin sling some mud in his general direction, it's no surprise that he slings some right back instead of just sitting back and taking it. But to try to tell me That One is running the dirtiest campaign in history is completely ridiculous. I guess they say love is blind and Cindy McCain sure isn't looking at her own husband.

October 8, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  10. Manny

I like Michelle a lot, but I think her eyebrows look a little angry. Kind of like that episode of Seinfeld, when Elaine painted eyebrows on Uncle Leo.

October 8, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  11. NObama

Wow... I can't believe you people actually want this woman as the First Lady. How can you say she DESERVES to be in the White House when she's admitted this is the first time in her life she's "proud to be an American." How patriotic.

October 8, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  12. JO

That smile resembles one on a horse I once rode .....

October 8, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  13. P

Why is Cindy McCain talking she is a Crack Head who stole from a hospital to get her drugs!

A Children’s Hospital

And she aided McCain in cheating on his first wife.

And McCain lied for years that he was divorced from his first wife when he cheated on her.

October 8, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  14. NoWay MacPain & MooseTwat, Never Again

Although I was taught that people deserve the representation they elect, only Bin Laden could wish another Republican term on this country.
    Go Obama/Biden. And First Lady Michelle.
    Hopefully the team can clean the stable during the first term.

October 8, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  15. Biff

My personal take on "that one"

the 'that one' comment was strikingly similar to the 'joke' from the first debate where mccain asked the moderator (who was attempting to get the candidates to engage each other) "what'd you think, I couldn't HEAR him.. (and without even turning or glancing toward Obama, gave a dismissive thumb-point gesture in Obama's general direction).

No one really commented on it (other than McCain not looking at Obama the entire night)... but last night's "THAT ONE" comment... he took that dismissiveness a step further. Again, Without looking at him, but while pointing, THIS time, he actually turned a man (as is he), and a United States Senator (as is he), and the PRESIDENTIAL NOMINEE OF A MAJOR PARTY (as he, McCain is) into a NON-HUMAN-"OBJECT" ........ "THING"...... Because THAT is how McCain 'sees' Obama. as a .....THING.

McCain gives no respect to Obama. I give no respect to McCain.

October 8, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  16. thank you!

Thank you for being a fine, smart, articulate young lady. I am impressed with your intelligence. I am glad that you do not stoop to hte level of the McCain campaign. I know that you will be a great first lady. May God bless you and your family. See you in White House!!!!

October 8, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  17. mike

glad she is above that enough not to continue the right wing hate machine. that being said, i was offended by that comment. offended that a person that would use such a comment to their opponent, and he is attempting to run our country. childish

October 8, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  18. dl

Michelle Obama is beautiful, inside and out... A great mother, wife, and a great roll model... She is going to be a great first lady...

I just really pray for Obamas safety. With all of the negative attacks riling the crazy right wing up, I just really hope he remains safe.

Daniel
    Former Marine
    Operation Iraqi Freedom / Enduring Freedom
    Obama 08/12

October 8, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  19. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

THIS ONE IS VOTING FOR:

THAT ONE/AND THAT OTHER ONE 2008!!!

YES WE CAN!

October 8, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  20. Sadie Calif

Wow - Michelle Obama's comment was soooo above board and to the point. If he were my husband there is no way I could have stayed that calm. She is right - but I personally feel that there were several points during the interview that McCain showed an bias against african american's asking questions. Specifically when he didn't call Ingrid by her name - or look at her directly....as he did with Al (the first question). And when he referenced that "oliver" (the young africian american who asked the 2nd question) probably didn't know who fanny mae and freddie Mac were....how insutling! I truely believe there is a (maybe subconsious) racism in McCain.

October 8, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  21. Abul

JUST COMPARE THE TALKING POINTS of CINDY AND MICHELLE.
    And who you think people going vote for?

October 8, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  22. north of 49

I'm votin' fer "that one"
    Go Obama!!

October 8, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  23. Bob-a-latte

We know who has the grace and charm: Michelle Obama.

October 8, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  24. Janice

good for you Michelle, It was not said to be racist.

October 8, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  25. P

LB-NJ

By your definition anyone who take the time to go to college, improve their skills, gain knowledge, and better themselves is an Elitist, Dam I must be an Elitist too. I am working on my Masters, next my PhD then my Doctorate. So that makes me and anyone who wants to live a better life an Elitist as well!

So I guess someone like you who refuse to improve their situation just want to be lead around like a dog on a chain, and I apologize to dogs! You don’t mind being lied too about everything in your life, GOD said it best my people suffer for the lack of knowledge, and if you were one of GOD children you would stop all this hate!

October 8, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |